Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

~Coxy posted:

Oh, right, thanks.

I have been doing those Whispers, I just didn't know that the flavour event that made them all appear in a zone was called an Arcane Tremor.

For whatever reason, the area that has braziers and obelisks is called an arcane tremor zone, whether or not there are Whisper fragments active. It's just their word for "seasonal over world activity zone". I think the only written references to it are on the governing stone descriptions and some of the season Journey steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
helltide, bloodtide, yuletide. what is this one?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

harrygomm posted:

helltide, bloodtide, yuletide. what is this one?

Kulletide?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

:golfclap:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I saw that helltides are full uptime now (or nearly are, at least) but do they keep soul progression between spawns now like the bloodtides did or is it still not worth doing one if there's less than like 15 minutes remaining because you won't get enough to open anything.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

IcePhoenix posted:

but do they keep soul progression between spawns now like the bloodtides did or is it still not worth doing one if there's less than like 15 minutes remaining because you won't get enough to open anything.

No, your collection resets with the timer.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's a 5 minute break too just to be sure there's a divide between them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

thunderspanks posted:

No, your collection resets with the timer.
Whyyyy Blizzard?

Doomykins posted:

There's a 5 minute break too just to be sure there's a divide between them.
Whyyyyyyy Blizzard?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

IcePhoenix posted:

I saw that helltides are full uptime now (or nearly are, at least) but do they keep soul progression between spawns now like the bloodtides did or is it still not worth doing one if there's less than like 15 minutes remaining because you won't get enough to open anything.

15 minutes is plenty of time unless you're only there for living steel. There's a very doable season journey goal that requires 10 chests opened in 55 minutes

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Whyyyy Blizzard?

Whyyyyyyy Blizzard?

Changing it from what it was to what it is now was likely as straightforward as updating a single number in a data file. All they did was shorten the event cooldown. Making it permanent and allowing currency to carry over would involve code changes which is more work. It's not a compelling reason given the size of the D4 team but that's the reason

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 31, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tarnop posted:

Changing it from what it was to what it is now was likely as straightforward as updating a single number in a data file. All they did was shorten the event cooldown. Making it permanent and allowing currency to carry over would involve code changes which is more work. It's not a compelling reason given the size of the D4 team but that's the reason
Yeah I figured as much. If that is the case just change the bloodtides to drop cinders and let us have those. So, so much better.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Is there even really a point to helltides other than when you start WT3 or 4 or farming the boss mats? You get better loot almost always from doing seasonal stuff.

E: I don’t really have a problem with them or anything, they just seem unnecessary with the seasonal stuff.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Helltides are the only source of Living Steel which you need to summon Grigoire who drops one half of the Duriel materials. If you want to farm for Uber uniques you either do helltides or you buy duped Duriel mats

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Even farming Griggy for regular uniques is nice. Its nice to know if I want to get an Overkill for my next Walking Arsenal barb I have a way to make getting one more likely.

I just wish they would drop the "4 different items needed to fight Varshan again" thing. Its annoying as gently caress having like 10+ of 3 of the 4 items and it is completely RNG if you get any more of the one you are short on.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Are you aware that the alchemist has recipes for converting between the different Varshan mats?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tarnop posted:

Are you aware that the alchemist has recipes for converting between the different Varshan mats?
.... no.

:sigh:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The game doesn't tell you that you can for some loving stupid reason. I only know because I watch way too much ARPG YouTube

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tarnop posted:

15 minutes is plenty of time unless you're only there for living steel.

That is generally the only reason I did them after a certain point yeah

Tarnop posted:

The game doesn't tell you that you can for some loving stupid reason. I only know because I watch way too much ARPG YouTube

I remember finding this out by accident in s2 when I was looking at the stuff I could craft at the alchemist for some reason and thinking "what the gently caress why didn't they tell people this is a thing"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You can't convert to Malignant Hearts, though (the WT4 exclusive Varshan mat), so you still have to luck out on those.

There's still the same issue. It should just be 'Material A' for WT3 and 'Material A + Material B' for WT4

Helltides are also the only source of Fiend Rose and (nearly the only source of) Forgotten Souls, which are needed for rerolling and hitting upgrade #5 at the blacksmith. Of course that is just a currency they created to necessitate Helltides, but whatever... gotta work in the occasional helltide to your gameplay loop

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

IcePhoenix posted:

That is generally the only reason I did them after a certain point yeah

I remember finding this out by accident in s2 when I was looking at the stuff I could craft at the alchemist for some reason and thinking "what the gently caress why didn't they tell people this is a thing"

It's ridiculous that they didn't just add another white quest like the one that sends you to the alchemist when your potion can be upgraded for the first time. Have it trigger when you have 5 more of a material than your next highest or something

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You can't convert to Malignant Hearts, though (the WT4 exclusive Varshan mat), so you still have to luck out on those.

There's still the same issue. It should just be 'Material A' for WT3 and 'Material A + Material B' for WT4

Agree completely. Thematically it's kind of interesting that you use all these body parts to summon him I guess, so if they want to keep that then the summoning should just be heart + any 3 or 4 body parts. Or they should put an alchemist at the tree at the very least

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

can't really work in doing helltides when shards still don't carry over, you gotta do it when they want you to do it

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

One heart and three dongs

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Anyway the lesson is that if something is bugging you in D4 then it's actually good to post about it because there may be an answer that the game doesn't tell you

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I’m hoping they massively increase drop rates or make a 1to1 exchange for each material type. Add a gold cost or something. I understand they don’t want you to farm it from level 60 to 100 for all perfect items.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Even farming Griggy for regular uniques is nice. Its nice to know if I want to get an Overkill for my next Walking Arsenal barb I have a way to make getting one more likely.

It's Zir isn't it? I wish it were Grigoire.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tarnop posted:

Anyway the lesson is that if something is bugging you in D4 then it's actually good to post about it because there may be an answer that the game doesn't tell you
Complain on the internet more, got it.

bamhand posted:

It's Zir isn't it? I wish it were Grigoire.
Oh, probably, that was just the first example I could think of, but I havent looked at the chart about who drops what in like... two months.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
So I think my seasonal progression is bugged. Anyone else just stuck on 1/5 Kulle's Journals? I have no other quests, and some googling tells me the journals will naturally occur in Vaults as you progress through the seasonal questline. I haven't been able to find any discussion on forums with other people having a similar problem. Anyone?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

stuxracer posted:

I understand they don’t want you to farm it from level 60 to 100 for all perfect items.

wat the hell

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

negativeneil posted:

So I think my seasonal progression is bugged. Anyone else just stuck on 1/5 Kulle's Journals? I have no other quests, and some googling tells me the journals will naturally occur in Vaults as you progress through the seasonal questline. I haven't been able to find any discussion on forums with other people having a similar problem. Anyone?

They have a crazy low drop rate and mostly drop from the bonus chests that require the blessing. I ran a bunch of NM vaults with 3 bonus chests at the end over and over and it still took forever to get them.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They have a crazy low drop rate and mostly drop from the bonus chests that require the blessing. I ran a bunch of NM vaults with 3 bonus chests at the end over and over and it still took forever to get them.

Thanks for the insight. Did your questline just stall at that stage while you ground out the journals or what? I'm level 45, and I think I got the journal quest around lvl 30 and still haven't seen the second one. Just feels very weird considering the pace of quest objectives in previous seasons. Basically as soon as I unlocked the 4 vaults in The Gatehall, things seems like they just stopped progressing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

negativeneil posted:

Thanks for the insight. Did your questline just stall at that stage while you ground out the journals or what? I'm level 45, and I think I got the journal quest around lvl 30 and still haven't seen the second one. Just feels very weird considering the pace of quest objectives in previous seasons.

There should be two tracks of seasonal quests, I think. I definitely had two seasonal quest chains (one of which was the Kulle journals that stalled forever) and the other one I was able to progress through multiple quests on independently.

I don't remember if there is a specific point where you need the journals to be finished or you can't proceed anymore or not, but I didn't run in to one. I may have finished the journals before that point, though. Do you have another seasonal quest in your log or have you finished the chain to unlock the Loom?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

negativeneil posted:

Thanks for the insight. Did your questline just stall at that stage while you ground out the journals or what? I'm level 45, and I think I got the journal quest around lvl 30 and still haven't seen the second one. Just feels very weird considering the pace of quest objectives in previous seasons. Basically as soon as I unlocked the 4 vaults in The Gatehall, things seems like they just stopped progressing.

I'm at 71 now and have 4/5 found after running a dozen or so sacred nm vaults in wt3 post-patch.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Complain on the internet more, got it.

Genuinely yes. I think people here can tell the difference between specific frustrations that maybe can be helped with, like in this case, and broad "D4 bad" shitposting

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

negativeneil posted:

lol I'm 70-something and only have 3. It's gonna be sticking around in your journal for a while.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Zolten Journals seem to have like a 75% drop rate on WT4 NMVs. You'll get that sidequest done long before you have your robo buddy to level 10, (un?)fortunately.

There's no new quest or anything once it's done, but it is one of the easy options for completing chapter five(?) of the season journey.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
yeah it doesn't stall anything to not have the journals quest done. you can finish the rest of the seasonal stuff without it. it didn't even give a cool follow up dialogue with the seasonal quest guy like "hey kulle talked about you a lot in these weird journals, whatcha think of that?" or anything. no rewards other than hearing the kulle voice actor say like 15 sentences total

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The greatest reward of all

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Only relevant thing from the journals is that Zolten and Seasonal Guy (do they even get a name each season?) are homosexual love partners, in a romantic sense

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah the characters definitely all have names. I don't remember any of them. This season's starts with Ayu-

Ayuzhan? Something like that

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Hey blizzard give me more poo poo to keep in my consumables tab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Tarnop posted:

Yeah the characters definitely all have names. I don't remember any of them. This season's starts with Ayu-

Ayuzhan? Something like that

they for sure have a name because the title you get for finishing the season it's "[person's name]'a Ally". First guy was cormond. idk any of the others