Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But are these polls unskewed???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

In Training posted:

I see you've read the comments

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

In Training posted:

they probably aren't

it's really hard to poll trump supporters

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bedpan posted:

i'm hoping for a mondale style blowout

Same.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lord of Pie posted:

His boss is the federal government which he is also not a fan of, lol
Ah, so he's military.

Nothus posted:

I see you've read the comments
I use POTUS tweets to train my verified account blocker.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has there ever been this much anger at the Dems? Seems like everyone but the people who treat it as their sports team is enraged right now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

they probably aren't

it's really hard to poll trump supporters

Trump!

*click*

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

super sweet best pal posted:

Has there ever been this much anger at the Dems? Seems like everyone but the people who treat it as their sports team is enraged right now.

"What are they gonna do, not vote?" -a biden campaign rep shortly before no one votes for biden

I mean we'll see. Americans do have short memories and turned out for Biden in the year his campaign held elderly voters hostage to in person voting until Bernie dropped out.
When it gets closer to November I'm sure there's some number of people who'll blink because orange man will destroy democracy. Enough to rescue the dogshit party again? idk

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Jan 31, 2024

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Civil war, maybe?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

Americans do have short memories on

Idk we are entering month five of the genocide and there's still near daily street level protests across the country, municipal and state level legislative bodies passing or debating ceasefire calls etc. I would be shocked, even if tomorrow a peace conference was called and the war "ended" for the media, that this has not completely tanked a massive portion of the Biden coalition for good in 24.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

plus there will probably be mad inflation again soon. Idk maybe Biden will drop dead though he is old as hell

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

inflation hasent even stopped prices continue rising and yeah a genocide isnt going to disappear that easily from the minds of people even gringos

these freaks have alienated entire portions of their coalition especially young people

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

In Training posted:

plus there will probably be mad inflation again soon. Idk maybe Biden will drop dead though he is old as hell

I recently read a financial article that was talking how young people are still mad at inflation and its all just social media anger because profits couldn't be higher!! Before sheepishly admitting that 80% of Americans said the economy is hurting them greatly.

They also liked to say that inflation is down to 3% so why are people complaining as if prices no longer rising as much erases years of prices going up massively and never going down (while wages are still crawling upwards).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

I recently read a financial article that was talking how young people are still mad at inflation and its all just social media anger because profits couldn't be higher!! Before sheepishly admitting that 80% of Americans said the economy is hurting them greatly.

They also liked to say that inflation is down to 3% so why are people complaining as if prices no longer rising as much erases years of prices going up massively and never going down (while wages are still crawling upwards).

Yup. plus the 3% number thats always touted doesn't include housing/rent anyway, which has been unstoppably rising since 08 and exponentially post covid.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the best one after rent is food

food prices rise double digit numbers across the board

and they spit out a number like food inflation has gone up only 0.1%

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
anyone whose got savings or money or whatever i would make sure at least some of it isn't USD
wouldn't be surprised at all if the dollar went into weimar hyperinflation heading into the election

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Biden has created more jobs than any other president! And that's good, because they're all lovely gigs and you're going to need 2 or 3 or 4 of them.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Biden has created more jobs than any other president! And that's good, because they're all lovely gigs and you're going to need 2 or 3 or 4 of them.

even this one is made up a large majority were simply the same jobs that returned after covid

the never actually release any real info on jobs created until months after where they might report 300k new jobs but then it got revised down to actually 60k jobs of which 90% are garbage jobs or temp jobs

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm really glad Biden is following through on his pledge to be a one-term president.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

HallelujahLee posted:

the best one after rent is food

food prices rise double digit numbers across the board

and they spit out a number like food inflation has gone up only 0.1%

I don't know how it is in the US but here in the UK most of the massive food price rises have affected cheaper foods whereas more expensive stuff has held steady. So it looks like food inflation is the same as overall inflation when you boil it down to a single number but the impact is all on people who already had no choice but to buy the cheapest stuff

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Tarnop posted:

I don't know how it is in the US but here in the UK most of the massive food price rises have affected cheaper foods whereas more expensive stuff has held steady. So it looks like food inflation is the same as overall inflation when you boil it down to a single number but the impact is all on people who already had no choice but to buy the cheapest stuff

Its been both in the us but the formerly cheaper stuff rose faster

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Coolness Averted posted:

"What are they gonna do, not vote?" -a biden campaign rep shortly before no one votes for biden

I mean we'll see. Americans do have short memories and turned out for Biden in the year his campaign held elderly voters hostage to in person voting until Bernie dropped out.
When it gets closer to November I'm sure there's some number of people who'll blink because orange man will destroy democracy. Enough to rescue the dogshit party again? idk

I could see that. I could also see people forgetting Orange Man Bad (short memories, and it's been four years), especially in light of how poo poo the Dems have been, and just wanting somebody who will at least acknowledge that there's a problem. So, who knows.

At least right now, though, Biden's looking pretty hosed. Turns out people don't like to be told that their problems are just "vibes" and don't actually exist. Plus, y'know, genocide isn't helping things any.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tarnop posted:

Economists have never heard of Giffen goods. You’re scaring them.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
donald trump will have appointed a majority of the supreme court by the end of his next term.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ex post facho posted:

donald trump will have appointed a majority of the supreme court by the end of his next term.

who could have seen this coming??!?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ex post facho posted:

Big brain dems: this is good actually, since it means we can spend another 20 years delivering nothing to voters but scolding them if they don't deliver every seat to us forever

Morbus
May 18, 2004

lmao

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

really queer Christmas posted:

They also never talk about how that 3% usually excludes poo poo people actually buy (food, shelter, energy), how insanely some of that poo poo is even measured (let's ask homeowners how much they think they could get renting their homes out and use that number), and that even if the 3% were real, it's still 3% of a vastly inflated number in the first place.

People are way more hosed than they were four years ago.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fwiw the headline CPI 3% does include food, energy and shelter. Energy is crazy volatile though and sometimes drags everything down with -25% MoM seasonal gas changes, shelter is calculated with that moronic Owners Equivalent Rent number. Food is included and idk enough about their basket methodology to say how it's massaged one way or the other but it definitely does just go Up.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

In Training posted:

fwiw the headline CPI 3% does include food, energy and shelter. Energy is crazy volatile though and sometimes drags everything down with -25% MoM seasonal gas changes, shelter is calculated with that moronic Owners Equivalent Rent number. Food is included and idk enough about their basket methodology to say how it's massaged one way or the other but it definitely does just go Up.

Oh, is headline CPI down there? I didn't realize that. I was thinking people were talking about core CPI (AKA the absolutely loving worthless number I usually see the economist idiots yammering about).

Still doesn't help how people are already hosed after massive previous price hikes, though.

And, yeah, I don't know enough about how food's calculated, either, but I'm sure they're massaging the gently caress out of it like everything else.

Basically, economists are assholes. You could have the price of a doughnut go from $1 to $1,000,000 in a year and they'd freak the gently caress out, but then have it go to $1,200,000 the next year and they'd say that everything's great and inflation is solved, so shut up and stop complaining.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

energy is a fun one because my energy bill is like 60% higher than 2 years ago but they only crow about gas numbers

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

HallelujahLee posted:

energy is a fun one because my energy bill is like 60% higher than 2 years ago but they only crow about gas numbers

It does go the other way, too. I remember one month when the headline CPI number was looking down, except looking into it, a bunch of things were way up (especially food) and heating oil had cratered enough to drag down the whole thing.

Nobody around here uses heating oil. It's just not a thing.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

It does go the other way, too. I remember one month when the headline CPI number was looking down, except looking into it, a bunch of things were way up (especially food) and heating oil had cratered enough to drag down the whole thing.

Nobody around here uses heating oil. It's just not a thing.

the economics field as it exists now basically exists to gaslight people into believing insert stupid poo poo that supports the status quo

theres good outliers obv like dick wolff or varoufakis to an extent

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

the economics field as it exists now basically exists to gaslight people into believing insert stupid poo poo that supports the status quo

theres good outliers obv like dick wolff or varoufakis to an extent

I majored in Economics and I think you'll find that I'm a good outlier too (in that I don't work in the field :v:).

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I majored in Economics and I think you'll find that I'm a good outlier too (in that I don't work in the field :v:).

good choice imo

i was going to list david harvey as well but he does not want to be referred to as an economist

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

1968, but then was totally different in that there was an unjust imperial war going badly and the opposition was such a bad person that electing him would mean the end of democracy.

And by "totally different" I mean the democratic incumbent had the sense to not run because he knew what the outcome would be.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Democrats have a tough sell this year even though they’ve done so much such as

1. Get more racist against Muslims and immigrants

2. Give weapons to literal Nazis in Ukraine (and lose the war anyway)

3. Bankroll an unrepentant genocide in gaza

4. Lose ground on every culture war issue their base cares about

5. Preside over the nastiest inflation spike in recent memory

6. Loosen environmental regulations to allow more fossil fuel extraction and consumption

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

tangy yet delightful posted:

hell yeah same :hfive: I did have a professor that specialized in Marxist economics, and a lot of the stuff that professional economists ignore because they’re being cheerleaders was definitely part of the studies, but still, good to not be there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

6. Loosen environmental regulations to allow more fossil fuel extraction and consumption

You forgot making abortion illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

7. not giving me the 600 fuckin dollars they promised!