Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Or in video form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean
Yes, that was pretty well done!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Log082 posted:

I'm holding out for the stable transuranics myself. There's gotta be at least one, right? ...Right?

Well you never know, the theorized island of stability hasn't been charted yet. Not stable, but some calculations put half-lives at a few millions or billions of years. Of course other people calculate that it'll be more like days :shrug:

Unfortunately it's hard as gently caress to get there since they are very neutron-rich compared to the superheavy elements that we've produced so far.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 31, 2024

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/uYjLIeB.mp4

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Can't really argue with him, very salient point

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

that will buff right out

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

Some of those “deep learning/AI” algorithms for investigating lots of
Permutations are that they simply run a simulation, jiggle the inputs a little, and then run the simulation again. Was it better or worse? Ok, pick the better one. That way they can map out a huge input space and simulate a whole lot of different materials but without having to have a human tend to the inputs. And there is an element of random chance as they don’t want to get stuck on a local maximum.

One common technique is called simulated annealing which if you are using to actually simulate annealing :2monocle:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats what ai meant before 2022 or whereabouts, yes

Nobody actually called it AI though, mostly it was called as a group ML for machine learning.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Private Speech posted:

Nobody actually called it AI though, mostly it was called as a group ML for machine learning.

look, this stuff has been off and on for 70 years. it's AI when the vc's and grant peeps are chill with it, it's some other name (ML, high-dimensional optimization, operations research, high-dimensional statistics) when they aren't. currently they're chill

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

bob dobbs is dead posted:

look, this stuff has been off and on for 70 years. it's AI when the vc's and grant peeps are chill with it, it's some other name (ML, high-dimensional optimization, operations research, high-dimensional statistics) when they aren't. currently they're chill
This is exactly the problem, but stated better than I had done.

Any serious academic uses for computation are getting swamped out of discourse and resources because everyone has to slap "AI" onto their product.

Edit for content:
https://i.imgur.com/J3rB1DT.mp4

Serjeant Snubbin fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 31, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that guy is hella precise

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm glad they're efficient at erasing the black paint off of those.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

that guy is hella precise

Don't want to waste yellow paint on the stencil!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Eeyo posted:

Well you never know, the theorized island of stability hasn't been charted yet. Not stable, but some calculations put half-lives at a few millions or billions of years. Of course other people calculate that it'll be more like days :shrug:

Unfortunately it's hard as gently caress to get there since they are very neutron-rich compared to the superheavy elements that we've produced so far.

What practical uses do such elements have?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gotta go make em to find out

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

This is exactly the problem, but stated better than I had done.

Any serious academic uses for computation are getting swamped out of discourse and resources because everyone has to slap "AI" onto their product.

Edit for content:
https://i.imgur.com/J3rB1DT.mp4

Not only is this reversed they missed a chance to make a perfect looping video

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Well, yes. But rather than being in the right hole, or the wrong hole, I’ve gone and done the unthinkable and made a new hole. Anyway, what’s your name?
I read this in the voice of the Tom Ellis version of Lucifer and it's now stuck in my head that way.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/TPricR9.mp4

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Now what the gently caress.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arrhythmia posted:

It's reversed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arrhythmia posted:

picture one key swinging back and forth on the rod

this is many keys swinging back and forth

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Every slice of the metal acts like a pendulum. Since they are consistently offset in time, it creates the wave pattern.

e: f.b.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/CcBYk13.mp4

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

:love:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Snapped bolts tend to be pretty hard at least superficially becsuse they work harden (or more accurately, strain harden) when they fail.

The highest bolt grades you can reliably get these days are 14.9, which have a yield of 1260 mpa and a UTS of 1400 mpa. Its usually a high alloy steel and relies on its quenching and tempering for material properties which tends to limit its section sizes to less than about M30.

I have heard psychopathic companies are making 16.9 bolts these days which have a yield of 1440 MPa, but ive yet to see them outside of tiny sizes like m16 which makes me think it must be some kind of extremely rapid quench process or something.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Log082 posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm skeptical. I don't really think it's suited to the task. I guess the theory is that giving the algorithm enough info about structure-property relations will let it find patterns humans miss, but I'll believe it when I see it.

In computational protein structure prediction, deep learning completely blew everything else out of the water. It's miles ahead of any conventional algorithm. So I'm really hopeful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaFold

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Snapped bolts tend to be pretty hard at least superficially becsuse they work harden (or more accurately, strain harden) when they fail.

Um actually the strain hardening zone happens well before the failure point, try looking at a stress-strain curve sometime dummy :spergin:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

smdh this is teaching the child that if they run up to heavy machinery then they get a fun treat.

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Microwave's dad?

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
https://i.imgur.com/tTztKQO.mp4

My concern would be where is this bullet gonna end up lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

holtemon posted:

My concern would be where is this bullet gonna end up lol

your butt!

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Gottem!!! Stay down!!!

And now we bring together two favourite topics for a spicy finish:

Who would win? Forklift fork, or a pallet full of EV batteries?

https://evsandbeyond.co.nz/us1-3m-damage-in-gm-factory-zero-fire/

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

anyone know what kind of dirtbike this is?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Turpitude posted:

Yeah and what type of microwave did he use?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

Who would win? Forklift fork, or a pallet full of EV batteries?

Always bet on the forks. They're swords strapped to a wrecking ball.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Turpitude posted:

it's not a dirt bike. it's some cheap electric DUIcycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Dang, are they working on a live-action Skibidi Toilet?