Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

EmbryoSteve posted:

If the hawks aren't gonna make a play for Jayde Daniel's I would love a magical trade down and drafting of sweat. We need a big ol boy I'm the center so bad

I definitely saw an early mock of Sweat to the Seahawks (though in the first so maybe a bit early?) and got hype for it immediately. Unless something comes up, someone like him is very much the highest priority on defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Malachi Corley is unstoppable :lol:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've seen some mocks giving the Vikings a DT at 11 and honestly if they can't move up for Daniels I'm good with them getting a shitwrecker in the middle for Flores. Though if they lose Hunter in FA that defense is gonna have a lot of holes and I'm not sure you can pass on an EDGE or CB at that spot in that case.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/geoffschwartz/status/1752687590174490814?s=20

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Malachi Corley is unstoppable :lol:

I still think hes going to take a year or two to really come on in the pros but he's gonna be a banger for someone.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I think he had a great game that I'm showing and is a really good center but trying to sell him as a space blocker isn't the greatest thing. He gets out there but he doesn't have the awareness or the ability to turn. I called him immobile earlier which is a bit harsh. I think the better thing to say is he can get out there but he's not very good at it. He's a bit iffy on A gap blitzes too which I think shows when he blocks in space. He needs to be better at identifying the correct block to make. He also gets backed up on really strong bull rushes because he has a tendency to stand up too high looking for a blocker or blocking the first person he sees. Other than that he's all you want in a center. Very good bend, strong, good help blocker, plays hard. When you send him into the second level up the middle he can demolish because it asks less of him from a football IQ point of view. I don't think he'd be as effective as a guard until he learns the game better. I could see him maybe becoming a good person to pull to the outside on off tackle plays but you'd probably have to use him as a drive blocker instead of someone who turns up field in front of a runner. Luckily I think a lot of NFL teams have been moving towards centers being set and drive or hitting the B gap on pull plays. Frank Ragnow, Linderbaum, Linsley, Humphrey, Pocic, Ben Jones, they all play like that.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doltos posted:

Olu is still fine and properly rated, I think. It's just that the first 10 or so picks this draft all have huge ceilings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQcdEo0rR48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nqyhdv5bV8

He has a bit of trouble with pass rushing moves and blocking at the second level since he plays so wide. Tuimoloau was kinda giving him fits since he wasn't engaging with the block which Olu relies on in his technique. He sets back in his stance and absorbs while using his arms, which is great if people stay locked in with you but can be susceptible to speed rushers and shifty guys. You'll see him not quite beat speed rushers turning the edge on him which means at the NFL level he's going to have to deal with people who can corner him while also making something out of the move. Michigan was also beating him hard on disguised blitz's which he consistently bit on the inside block instead of taking the outside rusher without having the RB on his side which is just bad. He might as well be non-existent in the second level since he doesn't go out and get people with his technique either. His technique is so sound that I think it hurts him at times. I don't think he's good at improvising his block like Joe Alt. Alt will bend and move and work with who's fighting him. There's a noticeable difference how both of them dealt with Tuimoloau's moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1bXzOvYS7o

Olu's definitely great at taking initial pass rush. He's got good clamps and his arm use keeps people from getting inside him usually. If the block is clear he's good at switching targets to a second target after he completes his first block. More importantly he's huge. It's hard to overlook a 6'6 guy with a great first step and functional core strength which is why people correctly have him as a ceiling pick instead of a floor pick. There's nothing to say he won't pick up the knack but right now I'd rather have Alt every single time.

I think the comp for Olu is Matt Kalil when you look at the polish versus the upside, right down to where I think his pass set is so drilled and consistent that like you said, he doesn’t really do improv but is permanently capped on how good he is unless he gets faster to the edge. The Michigan tape is very very concerning to me because that Michigan disguise set is essentially just the current Ravens pressure package that’s about to become the nfl defensive meta at multiple new teams. I’m of the mind you can always improve pass technique, but you can’t really teach vision in getting downfield or anything like that.

I also just don’t like when my LT has an inconsistent anchor. Sometimes when guys are getting beat wide, the coaching point is to back step low and try to get a defender either too high or later in his bend than you want, Olu doesn’t really do that because I guarantee his coach is telling him to play with width and not depth.

Alt does some goofy poo poo in his pass set and has the annoying Notre Dame thing where he gets his hands swatted at times because he reaches a little too reactively, but he can do literally any run scheme you want which is getting more valuable. If Olu is an elite foot agility guy, Alt’s merely good. I don’t think it’s an issue in a world where guys like Orlando Brown is a playoff tackle with rings.

Mims gives me Jedrick Wills vibes, maybe better upside. I get the upside play, but I don’t know that he holds a stance well enough for the average nfl passing game, gotta get his head up sooner and not give his outside shoulder so easily.

Guyton played in the Mickey Mouse spread this year so I’m questioning how well he can consistently pass set when there isn’t run action to give him margin. He has a number of times he lost reps that just comes down to him overstepping and failing to get his feet down trying to oversell a pull or kick step. His upside from a movement standpoint is great but raw hand placement and could add a little bit of play strength.

Gun to my head?

Alt
Olu
Guyton
Mims.

At least on like 3-4 games a piece.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I like Mims a lot I think he's everything you want in a big guy OT but that's also me being stuck in mid 2000's OL ideas. Absolute crusher in the run game and can set an edge but that's about all you're going to get out of him. He doesn't move and is noticeably slow trying to keep up with blocks when the play is to the weak side. I don't know how many teams are going to start copying Ben Johnson's offense and Penei Sewell.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/RayGQue/status/1753214153798332766?s=20

I'm 99% sure this is the QB of the future for the Vikings.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Doltos posted:

I think he had a great game that I'm showing and is a really good center but trying to sell him as a space blocker isn't the greatest thing. He gets out there but he doesn't have the awareness or the ability to turn. I called him immobile earlier which is a bit harsh. I think the better thing to say is he can get out there but he's not very good at it. He's a bit iffy on A gap blitzes too which I think shows when he blocks in space. He needs to be better at identifying the correct block to make. He also gets backed up on really strong bull rushes because he has a tendency to stand up too high looking for a blocker or blocking the first person he sees. Other than that he's all you want in a center. Very good bend, strong, good help blocker, plays hard. When you send him into the second level up the middle he can demolish because it asks less of him from a football IQ point of view. I don't think he'd be as effective as a guard until he learns the game better. I could see him maybe becoming a good person to pull to the outside on off tackle plays but you'd probably have to use him as a drive blocker instead of someone who turns up field in front of a runner. Luckily I think a lot of NFL teams have been moving towards centers being set and drive or hitting the B gap on pull plays. Frank Ragnow, Linderbaum, Linsley, Humphrey, Pocic, Ben Jones, they all play like that.

I see people wanting to compare him to Ragnow because that’s the best example of a big powerful center, but Ragnow is also has better speed and explosion than all but a handful of guys.

The guy JPJ really reminds me of is Richie Incognito, not an awful athlete for a guy built like that but more strong and tenacious and definitely not a wide zone guy

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 2, 2024

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

A Sneaker Broker posted:

https://x.com/RayGQue/status/1753214153798332766?s=20

I'm 99% sure this is the QB of the future for the Vikings.

Future seahawk. Get him in the 4th. Sit him behind geno as the hawks clear à bunch of cap this year. Let's gooo

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

None of those centers Naruto ran across the goaline

JPJ first ballot hof

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

EmbryoSteve posted:

Future seahawk. Get him in the 4th. Sit him behind geno as the hawks clear à bunch of cap this year. Let's gooo

Yeah I’d be good with that

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

EmbryoSteve posted:

He’s the only QB I’ve actually heard positive things about all Senior Bowl. More specifically, he’s the only QB at the Senior Bowl who I’ve heard the term “Letting It Rip.” That’s a good thing. Any QB that can turn off their brain and spin the rock is bound to be at least good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

A Sneaker Broker posted:

He’s the only QB I’ve actually heard positive things about all Senior Bowl. More specifically, he’s the only QB at the Senior Bowl who I’ve heard the term “Letting It Rip.” That’s a good thing. Any QB that can turn off their brain and spin the rock is bound to be at least good.

Have you blocked out Rex Grossman and Jameis Winston from memory?

Hell, the reason Rattler is where he is despite coming into college as a presumptive star is that he turns his brain off a lot too much.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

:sigh: Just under three months

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Have you blocked out Rex Grossman and Jameis Winston from memory?

Hell, the reason Rattler is where he is despite coming into college as a presumptive star is that he turns his brain off a lot too much.

Yea Rattler is literally the one dude where you'd love to see him be a little more careful in his workouts. Dude would make Josh Allen blush with the number of times he tries to arm punt it

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Is this 3 whiffed low blocks and a botched WR block, or did the Huskies somehow the Ducks' shoelaces together?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Spencer Rattler Hype Train, long thought derailed because he massively and overtly sucked for his entire college career, starts NOW

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I cherish the strong armed qb himbos.

Also love the Tennessee qb who has the size of khorne berserker and refuses to throw the ball with anything less than full power…

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

kalensc posted:

Is this 3 whiffed low blocks and a botched WR block, or did the Huskies somehow the Ducks' shoelaces together?

I threw in one whiff block because it was funny but the three showcased are Powers-Johnson not knowing what to do in space

edit: stupid rear end hosting service killed all my good gotcha gifs on jpj

Alaois posted:

The Spencer Rattler Hype Train, long thought derailed because he massively and overtly sucked for his entire college career, starts NOW

Yeah he sucked. He's too tentative and also too aggressive which is a weird combination that shouldn't work but when you watch him it's obvious that he's playing without a real game plan in the pocket. He'll take shots sometimes, other times look off routes because he just hosed up on the last one he threw, or just wing it into triple coverage. He's got all the arm talent in the world but has nothing upstairs. I'm not sure if he'll have the same trajectory as Josh Allen but I can see teams grabbing him in the 2nd day because the talent is too tantalizing.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thick JPJ is a first rounder. Can’t wait for him to get to the combine so we can compare his measurables to the great centers of the NFL

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Thick JPJ is a first rounder. Can’t wait for him to get to the combine so we can compare his measurables to the great centers of the NFL

No shut up

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

He outperformed expectations and is probably the next great NFL Pro Bowl center. Sorry bro.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

He outperformed expectations and is probably the next great NFL Pro Bowl center. Sorry bro.

Yeah he needs to last to 37!!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This isn't a novel thought or anything but I assume having a great iOL prospect fall into your lap in the second or third round is going to become an increasingly rare phenomenon as teams shed the old-school perception of G/C as "low value" positions. It's a weakness for so many teams, DTs are getting better and better at pass rushing and defenses are getting more creative about lining up elite DEs on the interior sometimes

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

EmbryoSteve posted:

I don't think he's going to last that long.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

xbilkis posted:

This isn't a novel thought or anything but I assume having a great iOL prospect fall into your lap in the second or third round is going to become an increasingly rare phenomenon as teams shed the old-school perception of G/C as "low value" positions. It's a weakness for so many teams, DTs are getting better and better at pass rushing and defenses are getting more creative about lining up elite DEs on the interior sometimes

I’ve been thinking the same thing since the late 00s.

But for whatever reason the market hasn’t caught up. Guards and centers still seem wildly undervalued. Maybe eventually the market corrects?

We knew rbs were overrated back in the 00s, and it took decades for the market to reflect that.

Ole’ Hornery would be spending their draft picks to get an elite OL, that’s for sure.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
RB hasn't been devalued we've seen plenty of them go high. Same with guards. Are we all forgetting Chance Warmack?

Again, there's no positional value for every single position in the NFL. Teams will take them where the fit and ability cross paths. No GM thinks like goons nor do I think goons would make very good GMs.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Do you do this as a gimmick I don't understand or are you genuinely unable to make a distinction between the relative values NFL teams place on each position because sometimes a RB or a G gets drafted in the top 10

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

xbilkis posted:

Do you do this as a gimmick I don't understand or are you genuinely unable to make a distinction between the relative values NFL teams place on each position because sometimes a RB or a G gets drafted in the top 10

It's incredibly frustrating every year when people come in acting like they've solved the draft by saying less valuable positions shouldn't be drafted high. People think Guards should go higher because pulling is valuable but why else would you pull if not for mostly run plays?

If anything teams value RBs more in the draft because of the rookie wage scale and fresh legs. If teams pick players high wouldn't you say those positions are valuable?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah the thing about Running backs is that you should feel free to draft the good elite ones high, you just don't pay them a second contract.

People conflate not paying X with not drafting one high.

Gibbs was worth that draft pick. Bijan was assassinated by his coach.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Draft em in the 3rd imo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

a neat cape posted:

I think the Chargers are better off doing something else with that pick imo, he should fall to 39 instead.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dexo posted:

Yeah the thing about Running backs is that you should feel free to draft the good elite ones high, you just don't pay them a second contract.

People conflate not paying X with not drafting one high.

Gibbs was worth that draft pick. Bijan was assassinated by his coach.

Yeah it seems to he the general rule of thumb is draft anything, anywhere with a couple exceptions but don't ever pay running backs and only pay receivers once.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

T,G,C

All positions whose value has increased ten fold, especially teams now going outside-zone and more sophisticated running schemes. Within the next three years, tight-ends will get paid big money if they are in that elite bracket.

E: PFF had JPJ's ADP as a mid-first.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

a neat cape posted:

If he's there at 20, I can't see the Steelers passing on him. The need is dire, and 99% of Steelers 1st round picks are linemen or linebackers

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
After the first 15 picks I can see anyone going in the first round

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Doltos posted:

After the first 15 picks I can see anyone going in the first round

finally... i have a chance.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins