Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I've actually decided that King Mains trade grapples to see who is the best at applying baby oil and fake tan - like so, I had the best baby oil application here.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...522052e381a9e9&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
My fighting game bestie who hasn't seriously Tekken'd before is getting into this game and seems to be settling on Dragunov. I couldn't be happier. Dude is iconic as gently caress and I like playing against him.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I was feeling actually kind of anxious about getting back into Ranked. Learnt three launches and one combo with Jun (and not optimal, but easy to execute on demand), went online and, uh, yeah, in low ranks nobody stops doing unsafe poo poo at you, do they? You just poke them until they panic and try to do a random launcher, then we're off. And by easy, I mean dumb as gently caress for 68 - b43, b212, ff2f2.

E: Oh, and abusing nobody, just loving nobody, breaks df2+3.
EE: gently caress, realised you can nearly assemble Jun's TTT2 outfit from parts (The stole and the hairband are in there), but you miss out on the 'crows' pants & top. That's somehow more annoying than it not being there, we're so close to her best outfit!

EEE: (Sorry!) I've just found out 8's replay mode will actually pause and give you gameplay improvements? And you can take the game back over and try them? WHAT VOODOO SORCERY IS THIS?
https://x.com/Aurryuken/status/1751670441570140385?s=20

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 31, 2024

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

So glad it’s actually Lenne Hardt. NJPW used a ring announcer who was a (presumably cheaper) complete imitation of Hardt for one of their big events a few years back.

Looking up whether or not it was her also taught me that she has been the in-game voice of Anna Williams since Tekken 5.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Shockeh posted:

EEE: (Sorry!) I've just found out 8's replay mode will actually pause and give you gameplay improvements? And you can take the game back over and try them? WHAT VOODOO SORCERY IS THIS?
https://x.com/Aurryuken/status/1751670441570140385?s=20

It's amazing, make sure to check the button for punish practice as well since it lets you run repeats on the move you hosed up with. Also, after checking the replays and what you did wrong you can download the ghost of the player that messed you up. Though obviously imperfect and non-adaptable, it can be really handy to try out counters against the poo poo they were doing to you.

Orv posted:

:hmmyes:

I kept meaning to poke at them in T7, their stances are really cool and they just seem like an overall cool moveset character, I should finally rectify that.

Haven't labbed them in 8 but Leo was a really solid and well-rounded character in 7, they could go from solid neutral to pressure and mixups in a blink. Main thing that held them back was that their combos were a little finicky to get down and not amazing without a wall. Their df2 was also a great whiff punisher, but unsafe, so a little practice and precision required to not get hosed up using it like you should.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Seymour Buttz posted:

So glad it’s actually Lenne Hardt. NJPW used a ring announcer who was a (presumably cheaper) complete imitation of Hardt for one of their big events a few years back.

Looking up whether or not it was her also taught me that she has been the in-game voice of Anna Williams since Tekken 5.

She was an announcer at Wrestle Kingdom 8 and 9

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Monicro posted:

xiaoyu is hella buffed in this game, her real pain point in 7 was not having good approach options and ff4/f2,1,2 are insane buttons they gave her and she can legitimately bully her way in with them now lol. you can play her as standard or as gimmicky as you want but that + hypnotist being fleshed out into a legitimate pressure stance gives her way better options in a ton of situations she used to struggle in.

as for combos she has a pretty good universal pickup option in (*launcher* df2 f3,1 RDS 2 RDS 1,4 wr3 AOP 1+2), which I think does 67ish? but her combo game is way more indepth in this game and still being labbed out, here's a video im studying right now that has pretty practical combos that go into the 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp9-bHgGGgs

Cheers. Yeah I hopped online last night after some beers and essentially no t8 ling knowledge and won a bunch with my rusty t7 skills. I used her a bit in TT2 also when that dropped on games with gold on xbox (online is still lively on xbox for that and t6 which rules). Actually technically I used Miharu because she's a funny character and the camera selfie throw is one of the greatest troll moves in tekken history.

I really hope someone makes a T8 version of this soon
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ETDnPJuku2ref3PzODMpZ4y7e5_wfILR2aPv83WpSw/edit#gid=369227785
Was EXTREMELY useful for picking up chars quickly. Kinda annoying to rifle through random youtubers videos to find out the best BnBs atm

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Cheers. Yeah I hopped online last night after some beers and essentially no t8 ling knowledge and won a bunch with my rusty t7 skills. I used her a bit in TT2 also when that dropped on games with gold on xbox (online is still lively on xbox for that and t6 which rules). Actually technically I used Miharu because she's a funny character and the camera selfie throw is one of the greatest troll moves in tekken history.

I really hope someone makes a T8 version of this soon
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ETDnPJuku2ref3PzODMpZ4y7e5_wfILR2aPv83WpSw/edit#gid=369227785
Was EXTREMELY useful for picking up chars quickly. Kinda annoying to rifle through random youtubers videos to find out the best BnBs atm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTsgbCJNSTKajMNlJvQleJOl0eTiEcV-PbeU0obDg1lsSqmz0lTtcD2k6NzfTPt7Db9Ua2dz1o_34Sv/pubhtml

Not complete yet but getting there.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:hellyeah: thanks for the link!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

"oh my god someone else plays shaheen"

Gonna be real here I kind of forget Shaheen is in this game.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

shaheen is definitely only still around because tekken likes to have a few simple "easy to learn characters" and to pander to Saudi. Literally everyone I've seen online groaned at his inclusion. Kazumi was a much better "beginner" character that had way better design and enough gameplay stuff going on to be fun to play.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I'm playing too many games. But adding a FG never hurts.
I never played Tekken seriously but this is a golden age for FGs, I might as well try and learn some fundamental.

So I've futzed around in training and ended up choosing Lili. Solid hits and good mobility.
Too bad there's so few customization options for ladies, I wanted to give her a proper gi.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Calling Shaheen a character isn’t even correct, the man is a cardboard cutout of a sheet of legal paper.

Unrelated, I think in every Tekken overview I’ve ever seen I’ve heard Nina referred to as really hard to execute but I’m not sure anyone has actually explained why. What up? I’m doing my usual “you know I could play someone other than a grappler” fooling myself tour and her move list seemed cool but not necessarily worse than anyone else?

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 1, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be real here I kind of forget Shaheen is in this game.

that's my secret, he loving rules and nobody plays him because he's the world's least interesting person so nobody learns to punish his slide mixup

https://x.com/LowHigh92/status/1751580164105044239?s=20

his new tools are very scary, he's extremely good at deleting grey health at will and his heat guard break that guarantees a hit grab is downright silly.

e: also they gave him dragunov's d2 out of sidestep for some reason

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 1, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Orv posted:

Calling Shaheen a character isn’t even correct, the man is a cardboard cutout of a sheet of legal paper.

Unrelated, I think in every Tekken overview I’ve ever seen I’ve heard Nina referred to as really hard to execute but I’m not sure anyone has actually explained why. What up? I’m doing my usual “you know I could play someone other than a grappler” fooling myself tour and her move list seemed cool but not necessarily worse than anyone else?

Jokes on you, Nina is partly a grappler.

With evil mist simplified, Nina's execution issues come primarily from her Hayashida step, sidestep 1 cancels, and her butterfly loops; the first two are likely to be really impactful in T8, jury's still out on the butterflies (but then I always thought there were more show than practical). She also has a very large movelist with a lot of situational stuff, so she can lead to analysis paralysis until you are fully comfy with her. But she's also a known scrub killer and it doesn't take much to just cheese people out with her. I mained her in 7, you can ask me what you want about her.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 1, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

Autsj posted:

:shittypop:

Autsj posted:

With evil mist simplified, Nina's execution issues come primarily from her Hayashida step, sidestep 1 cancels, and her butterfly loops; the first two are likely to be really impactful in T8, jury's still out on the butterflies (but then I always thought there were more show that practical). She also has a very large movelist with a lot of situational stuff, so she can lead to analysis paralysis until you are fully comfy with her. But she's also a known scrub killer and it doesn't take much to just cheese people out with her. I mained her in 7, you can ask me what you want about her.

I’ll give her a bit more time and hit you up if I stick with her. A lot of her standard buttons felt really good and her extended list is definitely appealing as a learning project. Thanks!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

This replay with tips thing is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seltzer posted:

shaheen is definitely only still around because tekken likes to have a few simple "easy to learn characters" and to pander to Saudi. Literally everyone I've seen online groaned at his inclusion. Kazumi was a much better "beginner" character that had way better design and enough gameplay stuff going on to be fun to play.

I don't think having one middle eastern character in your roster of 30 is especially pandering.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Seltzer posted:

No joke, Kazumi is at the absolute top of my hope to see return as dlc character list, and I don't even play her. She was such a hit at both casual and tournament level I think they'd be insane not to consider her.

All you need to do to justify it is say she's haunting Kazuya because he's a nerd. All protests of folks who think a character being dead in a fighting game matters are officially resolved.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Autsj posted:

With evil mist simplified, Nina's execution issues come primarily from her Hayashida step, sidestep 1 cancels, and her butterfly loops; the first two are likely to be really impactful in T8, jury's still out on the butterflies (but then I always thought there were more show than practical). She also has a very large movelist with a lot of situational stuff, so she can lead to analysis paralysis until you are fully comfy with her. But she's also a known scrub killer and it doesn't take much to just cheese people out with her. I mained her in 7, you can ask me what you want about her.

Nina is my best character in 8 so far. Love to go up against a King player and throw them constantly. If you can actually land her head scissors move, pressing 2 will transition to another grapple for a total of like 80 damage

Orv
May 4, 2011

brainSnakes posted:

No joke, Kazumi is at the absolute top of my hope to see return as dlc character list, and I don't even play her. She was such a hit at both casual and tournament level I think they'd be insane not to consider her.

All you need to do to justify it is say she's haunting Kazuya because he's a nerd. All protests of folks who think a character being dead in a fighting game matters are officially resolved.

Kazuyaaaaa, sneaaaakerrrrs Kazuyaaaaa? You doooooork oooOOOooOOOOooo *tiger attack*

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Next for me is figuring out which character makes the best Kiryu or Majima costume and playing that one

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

brainSnakes posted:

Also you can do a whole plot of hosed up Jun vs. Kazumi conflict.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Orv posted:

Kazuyaaaaa, sneaaaakerrrrs Kazuyaaaaa? You doooooork oooOOOooOOOOooo *tiger attack*

:hmmyes:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
shaheen rules

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

I didn’t stick with the last few games long enough to see - do they usually add a fair amount of customization items? I need blue long tights to turn Dragunov into Volk Han.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
they did add a handful over the course of 7 and it seems like a slam dunk thing to monetize, so

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks for the link but yeah it's still early days on there just by looking at the Azucena guide. The BnB combo they list does 2 less than the one I learned off youtube 4 days ago and has less wall carry though its definitely a lot easier.

The one I use for the record is DF2- D2,3,- 4,- 4,1,2 (run to close distance) f2,1,4. The timing is a bit tricky though, I could explain if anyone needs it.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 1, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Monicro posted:

as for combos she has a pretty good universal pickup option in (*launcher* df2 f3,1 RDS 2 RDS 1,4 wr3 AOP 1+2), which I think does 67ish? but her combo game is way more indepth in this game and still being labbed out, here's a video im studying right now that has pretty practical combos that go into the 70s

its RDS2 then RDS 1,2 btw lol (rds 1,4 isnt a thing). This was driving me nuts for a few minutes

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anybody have a good source for character guides? They are kind of all over the place and there's lots of varying quality out atm since the game is brand new and all. Don't really know which ones to look at.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Seltzer posted:

The one I use for the record is DF2- D2,3,- 4,- 4,1,2 (run to close distance) f2,1,4. The timing is a bit tricky though, I could explain if anyone needs it.

Do you have to do the D2,3, *4 super tight or something?

I wonder if I need to be closer when I launch or something? They end up being too low to pick up with the 4,1,2 after the *4

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Do you have to do the D2,3, *4 super tight or something?

I wonder if I need to be closer when I launch or something? They end up being too low to pick up with the 4,1,2 after the *4

This is what it looks like in practice. SA doesnt allow .gifv embeds so you can click on that. Basically after the d2,3 you have to walk forward just a split second in stance before landing the 4 or the whole thing falls apart (so press and hold forward right after d2,3). It's really finicky timing but once you get it the rest of the combo is easy.
https://imgur.com/a/JKI3tDJ

What I started doing is noticing visually where the opponent was in the air consistently before throwing the 4. You essentially throw the 4 right before theyre about to spike the ground. Diagram below. Press 4 while walking forward at the moment the opponent is near that part of the juggle. Basically right as their head is touching the ground. You want to do it nearly as late as possible without the combo dropping. It's frustrating at first but itll quickly become muscle memory.

e- Also don't throw out launchers on round start lol. That guy wasnt very good so I was trying a bunch of random stuff.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 1, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Seltzer posted:

Thanks for the link but yeah it's still early days on there just by looking at the Azucena guide. The BnB combo they list does 2 less than the one I learned off youtube 4 days ago and has less wall carry though its definitely a lot easier.

The secret azucena guide definitely made only from people playing the CBT hasn't been fully digested into the Applay guide yet yeah:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f-GoAW_kuCJ27Y3hUMKXBGKV6qlMdt93gEoNDrUdtw0/edit#gid=1420177787

Also a more in-depth write-up here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O2pnNMf0XqlffAAjND79aZqdbycXSs6JIkgJ9ejR6no/edit#heading=h.4vpk6a1o7vtt

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

spiritual bypass posted:

Next for me is figuring out which character makes the best Kiryu or Majima costume and playing that one

Jack.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
And on costumes, Jin is a Cyberpunk Edgerunners palette swap.

Why is the customizer so addictive? Half my time is spent there.

And I'll never use these characters!

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 1, 2024

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
lol lmao nice fade bozo

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...575d1f86e4d515&

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Help I can't do a custom character without putting an eye patch on them

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Seltzer posted:

This is what it looks like in practice. SA doesnt allow .gifv embeds so you can click on that. Basically after the d2,3 you have to walk forward just a split second in stance before landing the 4 or the whole thing falls apart (so press and hold forward right after d2,3). It's really finicky timing but once you get it the rest of the combo is easy.

snip

e- Also don't throw out launchers on round start lol. That guy wasnt very good so I was trying a bunch of random stuff.

Ah gotcha, I might stick with the 2 damage less variant just to make sure it's basically impossible to drop but it's good to have the max damage variants as well

And god, playing against the newer players at the bottom ranks I've gotten into such a bad habit of trying to just bait whiffs and launch. I know it's a bad idea when I run into someone else that can play the game but it's just so satisfying :negative:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Attack on Princess posted:

Why is the customizer so addictive? Half my time is spent there.

It's true. I made sure the people I liked playing in T7 were all Bullet Club fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't even play Reina but I tried to make her look like a 90s kid because you can put the jncos on her but I don't think you can get a wallet chain