Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

the Mashle S2 OP > S1 OP, but the S1 ED > S2 ED.

10,000%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SLF is really hitting the part where things start to get excellent, the first really big fight is about midway through right now as of the current episode, Also the voice actors of the main character and the cute mascot got married in real life and they had some lines acknowledging the fact in the show which are hilarious if you know the context behind them existing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Bucchigiri is the first anime this season that grabbed me from the get-go, and the whole first episode was great

A Sign of Affection also sounds good, though, need to get it ASAP

Bang Brave Bang Bravern is kinda great but also not 100% to my liking, will see how it evolves. The scene in the first episode where Bravern shields the base from the attack was among the best scenes in mecha anime IMO, top-notch audiovisuals

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Fluffy Paradise finally getting into some demi-human shenanigans

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 28, 2024

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil keeping being good dumb fun.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
In today's High Card, we finally find out the main villain's motivation. Not a very sympathetic one, TBH. "I want to use my superpowers to spin objects around whenever I feel like and you can't stop me!" isn't much of a justification for all the death and destruction he's been responsible for at this point, especially since it implies (in case it wasn't already obvious) that his occasional rhetoric about "family" and maybe ending world hunger was insincere.

We also now know what the royal family is trying to do with the cards, which turns out to be basically just stopping other people from using them (although I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out there's more to it than that somehow).
There's still some mysteries here, of course. We don't know exactly what Who's Who is trying to do with them (I suspect King himself doesn't really know and mostly just wants Theodore's attention). What the Black Knight's deal is is also unclear; I'm guessing he's one of the original knights, went mad when he felt betrayed by the first king, and his consciousness survives via his card, possessing its player in a similar manner to Love and Peace. And the talk about San Galgano "killing gods" is also pretty mysterious, since there's been no mention of gods up to this point. (It feels a bit copied from Code Geass, where the deicide thing felt equally abrupt.) There's also still enough individual cards unrevealed and not in any known faction's possession that resolving everything in just eight more episodes would require some rushing; it's possible they'll be a third season, but it's also possible they'll just say "Oh, by the way, the Black Knight has the remaining cards" or something like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

In today's High Card, we finally find out the main villain's motivation. Not a very sympathetic one, TBH. "I want to use my superpowers to spin objects around whenever I feel like and you can't stop me!" isn't much of a justification for all the death and destruction he's been responsible for at this point, especially since it implies (in case it wasn't already obvious) that his occasional rhetoric about "family" and maybe ending world hunger was insincere.

We also now know what the royal family is trying to do with the cards, which turns out to be basically just stopping other people from using them (although I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out there's more to it than that somehow).
There's still some mysteries here, of course. We don't know exactly what Who's Who is trying to do with them (I suspect King himself doesn't really know and mostly just wants Theodore's attention). What the Black Knight's deal is is also unclear; I'm guessing he's one of the original knights, went mad when he felt betrayed by the first king, and his consciousness survives via his card, possessing its player in a similar manner to Love and Peace. And the talk about San Galgano "killing gods" is also pretty mysterious, since there's been no mention of gods up to this point. (It feels a bit copied from Code Geass, where the deicide thing felt equally abrupt.) There's also still enough individual cards unrevealed and not in any known faction's possession that resolving everything in just eight more episodes would require some rushing; it's possible they'll be a third season, but it's also possible they'll just say "Oh, by the way, the Black Knight has the remaining cards" or something like that.

All we know is that High Card continues its gay subtext, now with the villain and the leader of the org with King jealous that's not getting attention from the cold and aloof guy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

All we know is that High Card continues its gay subtext, now with the villain and the leader of the org with King jealous that's not getting attention from the cold and aloof guy.

Oh, yeah. It's interesting because often in this sort of show (admittedly a difficult subgenre to precisely define) there's shipper-appeal without much actual subtext, if that makes sense, just attractive young men existing in proximity to each other, but in High Card it feels like at least some of these characters are actually supposed to be gay/bi.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Oh, yeah. It's interesting because often in this sort of show (admittedly a difficult subgenre to precisely define) there's shipper-appeal without much actual subtext, if that makes sense, just attractive young men existing in proximity to each other, but in High Card it feels like at least some of these characters are actually supposed to be gay/bi.

Apple is definitely into Finn and it's pretty clear. Finn and Chris are also the obvious main ship as they're Partners (not unlike the duo in Tiger and Bunny)

This is definitely a bit homoerotic out of context and in context still is kinda.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
First season of High Card wasn't clearing BSD tbh, though it's nice to hear they might be improving.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

haypliss posted:

First season of High Card wasn't clearing BSD tbh, though it's nice to hear they might be improving.

In terms of homoeroticism or in terms of quality? It's still not as good as BSD in some ways; the situations are less interestingly complicated, for example. Though it doesn't have the weird morality BSD sometimes does, at least.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 30, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Both, but I'm not really expecting Hibari to measure up to Bones.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
it was clearing where bungo was at the time (s4)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
thanks to 100gfs i will now forever abuse the phrase "mother daughter double whopper"

case in point, this week's hokkaido gals

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
you could also not do that idk

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man it must get real weird in the blacksmiths in 'Tis Time for Torture Princess when its shapening time when all the intelligent swords are moaning while on the grindstone.

Also I found it funny how the princess still put her crown on top of her baseball cap.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well she's gotta have her crown, she's a princess. Did you expect her to wear it under the baseball cap? That would just be silly.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I am chuffed for Frieren on Friday let's get it!!!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
More random thoughts on High Card.

Is Owen dead? Depending on how Red Labyrinth works (or how Zenon assumes it works), Zenon might have left Owen alive (and probably in possession of his card, since we haven't seen it in Klondike's possession) to avoid trapping himself in another dimension.

We know what all the Diamonds do except for the 4, 5, and 6 at this point. However, the other suits all still have unrevealed high-ranking cards: A and 10 of Hearts; A, K, Q, and 9 (and 6) of Clubs; and Q and J (and 3) of Spades. The Ace of Hearts is the big mystery here, since the King of Hearts power shown in the manga seems hard to top. Complete physical invulnerability? For Clubs, the obvious "missing elements" are light, sound, cold/ice, and water, although light and sound have some overlap with powers from other suits. I assume the Black Knight's power is either the Queen or the Jack of Spades.

I'm guessing Tilt and Burst have their own (probably rather more sympathetic) motives, distinct from Ban's. I think they might be hiding the 3 of Diamonds and 3 of Spades from Ban; that would explain why we haven't seen those cards since Bobby Ball died.

Edit: I guess one of the Clubs could be poison.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 30, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lv99 ep4

my god, these male harem characters are so dumb lol
lol, Monster Flute calling spam. Love that the one decent guy is the one that gets saved when he tries to protect her like a regular person. Like the part in the opening how all the harem protects the white magic girl, and then with those two, he steps in front, and the MC just nukes everything.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 31, 2024

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Dr. Elise showing some pretty cool procedures!

Tension pneumothorax is a good one. Interns nowadays could see that. But to do to the revolutionary surgery when the attending doesn’t even know the protocol… as an intern?! What the hell, I was cracking up. But still, it is a surgery we can do, so the theory was sound.

This show is great. Not gore-y at all, if you’re icked out by that.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i like that the head doctor seems pretty logical.
like him thinking she's some savant genius that probably has some kind of photographic analytic memory of the selfstudy of books she read is probably the only road you could come to barring she's some isekai from the future

also, oh, so that's what the spleen is, i thought it was a totally different organ.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 1, 2024

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GateOfD posted:

i like that the head doctor seems pretty logical.
like him thinking she's some savant genius that probably has some kind of photographic analytic memory of the selfstudy of books she read is probably the only road you could come to barring she's some isekai from the future

also, oh, so that's what the spleen is, i thought it was a totally different organ.

Out of curiosity what organ did you think the spleen was?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GateOfD posted:

lv99 ep4

lol, Monster Flute calling spam. Love that the one decent guy is the one that gets saved when he tries to protect her like a regular person. Like the part in the opening how all the harem protects the white magic girl, and then with those two, he steps in front, and the MC just nukes everything.

The headmaster diagnosed them all with fragile male ego. :allears:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GateOfD posted:

lv99 ep4

I'll admit I laughed. Especially at the healing magic bit. I guess I have a dark sense of humor. Show continues to deliver, will keep watching and hopefully that light girl will stop being so high strung and judgemental. Nobody likes a bigot, Alicia.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kwyndig posted:

I'll admit I laughed. Especially at the healing magic bit. I guess I have a dark sense of humor. Show continues to deliver, will keep watching and hopefully that light girl will stop being so high strung and judgemental. Nobody likes a bigot, Alicia.

is it interesting that light magic girl has Saya no Uta vision on the MC though lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

kirtar posted:

Out of curiosity what organ did you think the spleen was?

i imagined it like part of the spine.
like maybe the bottom part lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
. . .

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

i imagined it like part of the spine.
like maybe the bottom part lol

that's absolutely right

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the spleen is the vestigial human tail

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So this season I'm watching
Dungeon Meshi
Bravern
Metallic Rouge
Time for Torture Princess
and Frieren

So far I haven't dropped any shows, however I'm surprised at which ones I'm most excited to watch each week. Bravern was going to live or die for me on how wild Obari got with it and it has been delivering in spades. Delicious in Dungeon is good fun as well, especially that third ep that really went into Trigger's madcap style. Torture Princess has managed to keep a joke going longer than it has any right to, so I'll keep watching as they keep up the creativity.

Meanwhile Frieren and Metallic Rouge have kinda dropped a bit from a "must watch once work is over" option. Frieren is still fine watching but I'm definitely more partial to the travelogue-y episodes than I am to this Mage Exam.

Metallic Rouge I'm really unsure about. I liked the second episode the best and I want the murder clown to show up more. But it feels like it'll hinge on how well it can thread everything together in the end. As it stands right now it might be better as a binge watch than as a weekly

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Mage exam arc in Frieren feels like the the typical battle tournament in shounen manga in setup and pacing and while it's okay it's also not what got me into the series

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Sudden swerve into Hunter Exam.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I always liked it due to how it expanded the cast. Frieren worked with an extremely limited cast of characters up until now, and it was beginning to feel a bit constraining. Having non-main characters that actually can have a bit of focus and development and that won't disappear forever at the end of the episode is nice.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The small cast and focus on Frieren was what kept me interested, after the last season finale I am struggling to muster up the motivation to continue watching.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Differing tastes. :shrug:

I don't think I would have liked Frieren nearly as much as I do, if it didn't evolve beyond the initial small cast and narrow focus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It introduced Denken and for that it justified it's existence

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was necessary to demonstrate that frieren isn't the world's strongest mage, or even the world's strongest elf mage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hurry up and wait for FrierenGoku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was necessary to demonstrate that frieren isn't the world's strongest mage, or even the world's strongest elf mage.

it was also useful for establishing a bunch of characters with more staying power

I like this arc fine but I get why people might not. frieren basically has two modes and you don't have to like both of them; I think it's worth watching even if you only like one

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 2, 2024