Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Jedi invented gunkata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

If you have on the mullet and dropkick someone, you get the achievement "Roadhouse".

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Wasabi the J posted:

Jedi invented blasterkata

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's almost like it's a fluffy space opera and you're supposed to shut up and eat your popcorn.

B-b-but my entire personality...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you have on the mullet and dropkick someone, you get the achievement "Roadhouse".

Also if you have on a headband and punch a training dummy you get the achievement "Cobra Cal"

I think those are the only two funny ones though

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

haveblue posted:

Also if you have on a headband and punch a training dummy you get the achievement "Cobra Cal"

I think those are the only two funny ones though

I like it when games have references or jokes in trophy/achievement names. I'm playing Days Gone and I've seen:

This Is A Knife

kill either a Breaker, a Reacher, or a Rager with a knife

You’ve Got Red On You
Collect a total of 541 items from corpses.

Welcome To The Party, Pal
Clear out all Ambush Camps, Infestation Zones, and NERO Checkpoints in the same region

Don’t Stop me Now
Get first skill point

I’m Out Of Control
Unlock a total of 15 skills.

There’s No Stopping Me
Unlock a total of 30 skills.

Mr Fahrenheit
Unlock a total of 45 skills.

What are some other games that have referential or funny trophy titles?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Resident Evil 4 remake had some fun ones, a lot of the classic silly lines like "No thanks, bro!" and "You're small time!" that got cut now show up as achievements for beating the characters they're referencing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the achievements in No Man's Sky are the titles of and/or references to classic sci-fi novels

A Scanner Darkly
The Stars, Like Dust
Foundation
Babel-17
Contact
Use of Weapons
The Star Beast
The Longest Voyage
The Space Merchants
The Languages of Pao
Who Goes There?
Pattern for Conquest
Stranger in a Strange Land
Symphony For A Lost Traveler
Galapagos
A Space Odyssey
The Diamond Age
Citizen of the Galaxy
What Mad Universe
The Forever War
The Sentinel
Have Spacesuit - Will Travel
Total Perspective Vortex (Platinum)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Assassin's Creed Syndicate (the London twins one) has a trophy called WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU for flipping 5 carriages by shooting the horse pulling it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My favorite might be Civilization 6's achievement: You Are A Terrible Person (use Poland's ability to steal land from a neighboring civilization to destroy an in-progress wonder).

Also, from Anno 2205:

Cythereal has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Jan 31, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Bogmonster posted:

In Deathloop, when you reach the first locked door, you don't have the passcode. If you enter guess 0451 you get an achievement :v: ("Old Habits Die Hard" I think)

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I’ve likely mentioned this multiple times but Dead Rising has one for killing as many zombies as Willamette’s population (something like 35671).

Dead Rising also took achievements a bit further and gave you special unlockables for achievements, such as Zangief’s trunks and boots or, for this particular achievement, Megaman’s Megabuster.

Edit: there’s an achievement called PP collector :q:

Der-Wreck has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Feb 1, 2024

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Der-Wreck posted:

I’ve likely mentioned this multiple times but Dead Rising has one for killing as many zombies as Willamette’s population (something like 35671).
53,594. The fact I know this instead of something actually useful is pretty sad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Dead Rising achievement is named “Zombie Genocider”

There’s an achievement in a different zombie game, IIRC one of the Left 4 Dead’s, for killing 53,595 zombies

It’s called ”Zombie Genocidest”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tying achievements to ingame rewards like Dead Rising and ME1 was a great idea, more games should've done it

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Bogmonster posted:

I like it when games have references or jokes in trophy/achievement names. I'm playing Days Gone and I've seen:
Not a cheevo, but Saints Row 3 had a mission where you had to break a supercomputer called Stop All The Downloading

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Croccers posted:

Not a cheevo, but Saints Row 3 had a mission where you had to break a supercomputer called Stop All The Downloading

When I was in jail my cellmate and I bonded over PORKCHOP SANDWICHES!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

haveblue posted:

The Dead Rising achievement is named “Zombie Genocider”

There’s an achievement in a different zombie game, IIRC one of the Left 4 Dead’s, for killing 53,595 zombies

It’s called ”Zombie Genocidest”

Rock Band 3 has an achievement for accumulating 53,596 hammer-on/pull-off notes on the guitar. It's called "HOPO-cidal Maniac."

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bogmonster posted:

Gunpoint, which is a fantastic 2d platformer / stealth game has one called : Alright, Have one! Just Stop!

If you tackle someone to the ground, you can punch them and leave them knocked out. Or keep punching them. After a bit, the game prompts with things like “You dont have to do this” “Please stop” and so on. Once you get to 100, you get an achievement.
"This is an achievement in name only. No-one admires you for punching a guy that many times."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Dead Rising one kept going, too

Dead Rising 2:
Z-Genocider 2: Genocide Harder
Kill 53,596 zombies.

Dead Rising 3:
Master of Massacre
Kill 53,597 zombies

Dead Rising 4
Z-Genocider 4: The Return
Kill 53,598 zombies

It sure gets old!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RBA Starblade posted:

Tying achievements to ingame rewards like Dead Rising and ME1 was a great idea, more games should've done it

The problem is that in both of those examples they went kinda overboard with them in various ways that show the weakness of the idea. ME1 doesn't have anything quite as bad as Zombie Genocider, but realistically most of the achievement bonuses require you to play the game in specific ways and your reward only ends up being relevant on a replay anyway.

Though technically the real champion in that space would be something like Binding of Isaac where every single unlock is tied to an achievement, resulting in a triple digit count.

There was also Uplay Points which I thought were kind of interesting but like most things Ubisoft had no idea what to do with them after a certain point and then shitcanned them entirely.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Not trophies, but nearly every quest in Cyberpunk 2077 is the name of a song.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Which is because everything in your quest log is written by Johnny after he's in your head.

In Act 1, all of the main quests have names like 'The Heist' and 'The Ripperdoc'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I had the sudden mental image of Johnny Silverhand, Raiden and Adam Jensen as a cyborg team. ...probably mostly Jensen as the put-upon grumbling vaguely sensible person dragging along two flavours of ridiculous killing machine who can barely manage to not try to kill each other.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

There was also Uplay Points which I thought were kind of interesting but like most things Ubisoft had no idea what to do with them after a certain point and then shitcanned them entirely.
The older Uplay point system where you could buy discounts was fantastic.
Now it's just for like things like to unlock Pre-order things, unlock customization things for the game or Resource boosters.
But the worst part is for some goddamn reason the points expire now even though you can't get another actually valuable with them anymore.

CitizenKain posted:

Gunpoint, which is a fantastic 2d platformer / stealth game has one called : Alright, Have one! Just Stop!

If you tackle someone to the ground, you can punch them and leave them knocked out. Or keep punching them. After a bit, the game prompts with things like “You dont have to do this” “Please stop” and so on. Once you get to 100, you get an achievement.
"This is an achievement in name only. No-one admires you for punching a guy that many times."
Gunpoint also has achievements for holding someone at gunpoint, making note of maybe don't name your game until you've finished designing it (You don't get a gun until quite far into it, and even then you're still discouraged to use it). And one calling out ludonarrative dissonance when calling the... ludonarrative dissonance in the blog you write at end of the game.

Croccers has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Feb 1, 2024

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had the sudden mental image of Johnny Silverhand, Raiden and Adam Jensen as a cyborg team. ...probably mostly Jensen as the put-upon grumbling vaguely sensible person dragging along two flavours of ridiculous killing machine who can barely manage to not try to kill each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYA6Y67NXMc

Croccers posted:

The older Uplay point system where you could buy discounts was fantastic.
Now it's just for like things like to unlock Pre-order things, unlock customization things for the game or Resource boosters.
But the worst part is for some goddamn reason the points expire now even though you can't get another actually valuable with them anymore.

Gunpoint also has achievements for holding someone at gunpoint, making note of maybe don't name your game until you've finished designing it. And one calling out ludonarrative dissonance when calling the... ludonarrative dissonance in the blog you write at end of the game.

Tom Francis' games all have that sort of loving irreverence going on and it's brilliant and I can't wait for Tactical Breach Wizards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When Ubisoft points launched it was great, because you'd always earn enough from playing the current game to unlock all the stuff in the next one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Loyalty programs start off great, then become watered-down bullshit. Same story every time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At the same time they changed them to only buying ingame rewards of limited use they also started to expire them even more aggressively, so I lost all my points and never bothered earning/spending any more of them. Good job, Ubidiots.

orcane has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Feb 1, 2024

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's a pattern with big companies, not even just the gaming ones. Tesco require you to have a reward card for any special offers now. Gone from rewarding you for using the card (sharing data) to punishing you for not.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Elfface posted:

It's a pattern with big companies, not even just the gaming ones. Tesco require you to have a reward card for any special offers now. Gone from rewarding you for using the card (sharing data) to punishing you for not.

And I directly stopped shopping there because of it. gently caress em.

I got a letter just this week saying Co-op have now stopped giving you cash back over time, and now the card is just to get the occasional discount. gently caress them too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Ubisoft's case, the challenges to unlock the currency were replaced with a global leveling system and limited time events.

Your usual attempt at sustained numbers post launch.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

When I play third person games, I always like to see when the player character looks where the camera is looking. Eg turning their head when I move the camera to one side etc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like to think they're all shy, like Ethan in the Resident Evil 8 third person mode

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The last couple Civ games have had a metric shitton of achievements. A lot of the titles for the ones that are just doing normal stuff are references (ie, "Rome If You Want To" for winning as, well, Rome) . Then there's the ones that combine a joke title with a gimmick thing to pull off ingame, and the devs really had fun with those. Some of my favorites from VI are:

Legends of the Hidden Temple
Build a Colossal Head adjacent to a Holy Site with a Temple.

We Are The Champions
Win a regular game with a Religious victory with your dominant religion being Zoroastrianism and at the time of victory you are the Suzerain of Zanzibar

Luftballons
Use a bomber class unit to detonate a nuclear device, as long as its base and 9 Observation Balloons are located on the continent of Nena at the time of detonation.

and of course the best of them all:

Pizza Party!
Activate Leonardo da Vinci in New York with Great Works from Michelangelo and Donatello -- and a sewer -- all in that city.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Philippe posted:

When I play third person games, I always like to see when the player character looks where the camera is looking. Eg turning their head when I move the camera to one side etc.

What happens if you swing the camera around to look at your character from the front? Is it like The Exorcist?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

grinnard posted:

What happens if you swing the camera around to look at your character from the front? Is it like The Exorcist?

Sometimes you see your character staring ahead, sometimes your character moves to turn around.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

grinnard posted:

"Senpai, stahhhp! You're embarrassing me..."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Morpheus posted:

Sometimes you see your character staring ahead, sometimes your character moves to turn around.

Yeah, it just makes me feel a bigger kinship with my character. I'm not a tacticool operator or a cowboy, but it's the little things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's also the case with Fallout New Vegas. Not only that, most of those songs are connected to Las Vegas.