Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

trunkh posted:

Whats amusing to me is that Bucky has actually received some very good advice from some people quite qualified to give it.

But the manifesto persists. The only way any of this happens is if they become a billionaire willing to fund it themselves

It's just so exhausting. He keeps Kramering in here with his brilliant ideas, demanding feedback and then just ignores all of it and continues doing his own thing and clogging the thread with endless paragraphs of textual diarrhoea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Bucky why are you being ableist.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Maybe you should post on a forum specifically for city planning instead of a dead comedy forum

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Captain Theron posted:

It's just so exhausting. He keeps Kramering in here with his brilliant ideas, demanding feedback and then just ignores all of it and continues doing his own thing and clogging the thread with endless paragraphs of textual diarrhoea.

He isnt ignoring all of it though? He has taken a lot of it on board and updated / modified his pitch based on it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-01/daniel-keneally-sentenced-fabricating-evidence-nsw-police/103413136

quote:

The disgraced police officer son of former senator and NSW premier Kristina Keneally has avoided jail time for fabricating evidence that put an innocent man behind bars.

Keneally was convicted last year after the court found he falsely claimed a man threatened police during a phone call to Newtown Police Station in February 2021.

The court heard that the caller, Luke Moore, rang to complain about a strip search.

But in a formal statement, Keneally falsely quoted Mr Moore as saying he was coming for a Goulburn detective "when he least expects it" and wanted him "off the planet", saying the policeman was "dead" and "good as gone".

Mr Moore was charged with using a carriage service to menace and threaten to kill, and he spent three weeks in custody over the phone call.

But the police dropped the charges and apologised after he produced a recording of the call that proved he did not make the threats Keneally attributed to him.

three weeks in jail on the back of a police officer lying, only cleared because they provided their own evidence, but it's no big deal, it wasn't planned. Amazing news that nsw police don't record incoming calls.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

all the councils who say "holy poo poo yes please"
Citation needed

quote:

That’s the beauty, it’s practically too cheap to meter.
Citation needed

quote:

This creates more money in the budget, because instead of spending $38 million on bridges that don’t do anything, we align all the projects at once and get it done for a fraction of the cost, for exponentially more benefit
Citation needed

quote:

We "build" the last 20 to connect them, creating 1000 miles for practically nothing
Citation needed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If I was Kristina Kenneally's son I'd be doing gently caress all collecting $400,000 a year sitting on boards and making eight phone calls a quarter. What a failure.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Eediot Jedi posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-01/daniel-keneally-sentenced-fabricating-evidence-nsw-police/103413136

three weeks in jail on the back of a police officer lying, only cleared because they provided their own evidence, but it's no big deal, it wasn't planned. Amazing news that nsw police don't record incoming calls.
Why the gently caress wasn't Danny Boy given at least three weeks jail? That's not justice. I actually support the judicuary's ability to be independant and sentence as the individual circumstances dictate. However, this was deliberate, malicious and unconfessed. It appears that his being a pig (at the time) actually lessened the sentence.....gently caress that poo poo.

Imagine being so hosed up that even the NSW Police won't have you.... Even unfit for Gooch Squad your honour!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
hey instead of bike paths can we post about how the state of tasmania should be dissolved (fyi: child sex abuse related):

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2024/february/nick-feik/rotten-core#mtr

tl;dr is that the entire policing, justice, health, education and political structure of tasmania is a matryoshka doll of bureaucratic laziness, pride, corruption, and looking after your small town mates, with the smallest russian doll at the centre being rampant institutional child abuse.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the warning, I couldn’t finish reading this, it is that horrific.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Anidav posted:

Boy am I glad i don't have to care about Sydney.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Theron posted:

Rendered me obsolete.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

JBP posted:

If I was Kristina Kenneally's son I'd be doing gently caress all collecting $400,000 a year sitting on boards and making eight phone calls a quarter. What a failure.

You might be overestimating the permanence and lucrativ…ity of the gravy train for children of former premiers.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Mola Yam posted:

hey instead of bike paths can we post about how the state of tasmania should be dissolved (fyi: child sex abuse related):

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2024/february/nick-feik/rotten-core#mtr

tl;dr is that the entire policing, justice, health, education and political structure of tasmania is a matryoshka doll of bureaucratic laziness, pride, corruption, and looking after your small town mates, with the smallest russian doll at the centre being rampant institutional child abuse.

I’m glad people are still doing this kind of reporting, but I wish we had a media which amplified this kind of report rather than burying it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Artificial Kid posted:

You might be overestimating the permanence and lucrativ…ity of the gravy train for children of former premiers.

No. It's very easy to go to private school and capitalise on. She's still being given gifts by the party, it was just poor choices that they dumped her into a "safe" seat that rebelled. She was also a Senator and has the hookup with Sky News. It is very easy.

If you are a premier's failson I'm sorry that happened to you though.

E: if she was a suburban GP and he became a cop that is also terminal failson. gently caress she could have been an EL public servant and that's failson.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
That article is the kind of thing I’ve read about in a historical sense before and been disgusted and amazed that everything could fail so completely, but not as current and likely continuing abuse.

I kind of wish I’d never read it because it’s so sad it’s sickening. Significant sweeping changes in policy and people need to be made urgently to protect the children, but it seems likely it will just continue.

Also shocked to learn 50% of adults in tas are functionally illiterate, I knew it wasn’t zero but that’s crazy high.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
they dont call it the alabama of australia for no reason

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Captain Theron posted:

Should have been a longer probe IMO.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't know the methodology or terms were used to measure that but the last academic study I read about literacy about a decade ago suggested that Victoria was a close second to Tasmania in functional illiteracy so let's not get too excited breaking out our inbred hick jokes

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
southerners

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Should have been a longer probe IMO.

I tend to do 6 as a warning. It will go up should it continue.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Backseat modding give them the chair

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Cut 'is pecker off

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
https://youtu.be/PRqUVh29LGQ?si=uEwogJbpp-yrm6kC

Many people dislike Jordies for reasons various, but holy poo poo is this terrifying.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
oh no the liberals are crooked? say it aint so

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jordan Shanks-Markovina posted:

The real shame in all of this, of course, is that it would have made a great story for self-proclaimed home of Australian investigative journalism Four Corners, that touts that it exists to serve the public interest. And you, of course.

It would be very interesting to hear the editorial rationale for why the paralysing grip that organised crime has over the first state didn't meet that criteria while trying to get to the bottom of why there isn't more homosexual AFL players did.

the gently caress does that have to do with anything?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Autisanal Cheese posted:

the gently caress does that have to do with anything?

Because four corners is doing what amounts to clickbait investigations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JBP posted:

Friends of mine were founding members of the Pink Magpies LGBTQ+ footy fan support group back in the early 00s when such things were very much not the fashion and the subject of organised homophobia in sports is extremely important to them. They were interviewed for the Four Corners piece and were posting links for it all over social media.

Just because the subject doesn't interest you doesn't mean it's clickbait :shrug:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

23 Skidoo posted:

https://youtu.be/PRqUVh29LGQ?si=uEwogJbpp-yrm6kC

Many people dislike Jordies for reasons various, but holy poo poo is this terrifying.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Auspol 2024: Whose laughing now

I hope you're all happy he's been cancelled.

In other news via reddit

quote:

In another remarkable PR attempt that will definitely succeed (/s) Susanne Horman was on the Bolt report last night, continuing to gaslight everyone about her tweets (above).

To save you the pain of watching ten minutes of Bolt, here are the important take away points:

Susanne still insists the screenshots are doctored. No evidence provided.

Susanne claims there is a growing trend of books that are aggressive towards white Australians.

mEnS bOoKs (Bolt gave an example of Biggles but then acknowledged Biggles was a bit racist but whatever).

Bolt finishes the interview by almost saying “support freedom of speech” but quickly changed to “support freedom o…support a nice person”.

And this

quote:

Australia’s richest businesspeople have become major backers of conservative lobby group Advance Australia, which helped lead the “no” campaign at the Indigenous Voice to parliament referendum.

Trevor St Baker’s St Baker Enterprises donated $50,000 to the group, updated Australian Electoral Commission disclosures show from the 2022-23 financial year.

St Baker, worth $1.2 billion according to the 2023 Australian Financial Review Rich List, sold the Vales Point coal power station in NSW for several hundred million in 2022 to Czech coal baron Pavel Tykac.

Former Shark Tank judge and serial tech investor Steve Baxter donated $20,000 to Advance Australia through his company Pesca Aviation. Mr Baxter told The AFR he had been to pre-founding meetings of the group and knew its executive director, Matthew Sheahan. He said he donated in part because the referendum “was diabolical and needed to be defeated”.

Mr Baxter has been recently trying to sell a new defence-focused venture capital fund to backers.

“People don’t seem to have issues with people backing GetUp. Why is it not OK to back Advance?” he said. Asked why he had not focused his donations on the Liberal Party, he said: “I don’t think the Coalition is very conservative.”

The largest backer of Advance was Perth car dealer Brian Anderson, in his 90s, who donated $1 million through his company Hadley Holdings. It was not the only westerly donation the conservative lobby group attracted. One of Perth’s wealthiest families, the Martins, donated $20,000 through their company, Coogee Chemicals.

Kennards Self Storage’s Sam Kennard, an early backer of Advance and board member of the Centre for Independent Studies, gave $115,000 through his company Siesta Holdings.

Bakers Delight founder Roger Gillespie donated $20,000 to Advance and $14,000 to the Liberal Party in late 2022. Mr Gillespie told The Financial Review he backed the group due to its position on the referendum.

Ronald Pitcher AM, founder of accounting firm Pitcher Partners, donated $32,500 to Advance in the 2022-23 financial year.

Kenneth Warriner, the former chief executive of Consolidated Pastoral and friend of the late Kerry Packer, donated $20,000 to Advance, and Marcus Blackmore, who publicly backed the “no” campaign in the Voice referendum, donated $25,000.

Melbourne Storm director and transport businessman Brett Ralph donated $50,000 to Advance through his company, JMR Management Consultancy Services.

These are the people who need to be cancelled, not a journalist.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
jordies isnt a journalist

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Non Compos Mentis posted:

jordies isnt a journalist

That's odd. He is called a journalist all the time, does journalistic reporting and produces video essays journaling public interest items. Do you have to work for a real newspaper to be a journalist?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just because the subject doesn't interest you doesn't mean it's clickbait :shrug:

One hundred percent.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
if someone like bolt is a journalist then so is jordies and i think that says a lot (jk)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bolt is a commentator.

Jordies does bad comedy as well as investigations comprising research and interviews.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the video sucked tbh

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

JBP posted:

Exactly what are you referring to, because the episode list of 4Corners is 100% NOT showing clickbait investigations

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Real journalists wear a fedora that has a "PRESS" tag tucked into it, carry a notebook and pen, and write "SCOOP!" when they hear actual news.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Exactly what are you referring to, because the episode list of 4Corners is 100% NOT showing clickbait investigations

Look, if a story isn't filled with libelous claims made in a racist caricature accent, it just ain't journalism to me

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

That's odd. He is called a journalist all the time, does journalistic reporting and produces video essays journaling public interest items. Do you have to work for a real newspaper to be a journalist?

I feel like working for a newspaper may be more disqualifying for being called a journalist.

Weird how the control, c, and v keys are so worn out on this keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Wired: scraping posts from Reddit and finding financial sob stories from people on $500k/year

Tired: publicising that the former deputy premier immediately became a director of a shady property developer with strong links to organised crime