Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

and then the *styling*, the precise way they choose to have a button look, does not matter that much.

it's important to acknowledge that it's possible to use a <span> to do a <button>'s (or an <a>'s) job and that sucks.

if you want to list things, you can use <ul> and <li>, or you can just use nested <div>s.

there are a lot of semantic tags that exist, like <article> <main> <aside> <nav> <details> and those can be used to make accessability better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i guess the one plus side is that when someone uses one of the semantic tags, it's probably more correct than not. someone who doesn't care about accessability and doesn't want to learn will probably just use 1000 nested <div>s to solve every problem

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wheany posted:

it's important to acknowledge that it's possible to use a <span> to do a <button>'s (or an <a>'s) job and that sucks.

if you want to list things, you can use <ul> and <li>, or you can just use nested <div>s.

there are a lot of semantic tags that exist, like <article> <main> <aside> <nav> <details> and those can be used to make accessability better.

yeah, for sure there's room to gently caress things up, but a lot of the web does do a button for a button, as the big frameworks do (and tend to push in aria tags as well).

it might be worth pondering what's more common: someone rolling a button from scratch as a span, or a "native" app having an onclick-handler on something not a button. one might then extend that to wondering how well native apps do semantic lists and headings compared to the web, maybe not too uncommon that there's a random label stuck somewhere which is actually logically a heading?

e: which is to say, not obviously in the webs favor, but imo "is it a real <button>" is a way more correct question than "is it styled the same as everything else?"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there is a lot more to "native applications" than just the manner in which buttons are skinned, there are a bunch of user interface conventions as well. linux has a particular problem with this because Certain Distributions ham-fistedly apply "theming" to every application so that their commercial sponsor can establish a brand identity at the expense of making third party applications look like poo poo through no fault of the applications' own. an unmodified qt app will always look out of place on some subset of windows and macos no matter how much paint you slather on its individual user interface controls.

"electron app" isn't just an implementation technique, it is a "platform" of its own in the sense that those apps use webby user interface conventions as opposed to apple-ish conventions or windows-y conventions.

mystes
May 31, 2006

if you include some garbage immediate mode ui library in a language, people will start making apps that don't support CJK languages or accessibility stuff

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

eschaton posted:

in other words, I absolute think 1 is worse than 2

I’ve actually used enough systems that have very different but self-consistent ways to organize storage that I think claiming 2 is somehow crazy—or that UNIX and Windows (which is basically UNIX with marginal differences) have “won” and nothing will ever change, which is isomorphic—is itself the crazy thing

content-addressable stores are a thing, for example

relational and document databases are pervasive, why shouldn’t they be treated as part of the filesystem on a platform?

etc.

I don't know what the C++ lunatics actually proposed, but my suggestion was a standardisation of paths as a syntactic construct, not a standardisation of all file system operations. Unix-style paths are just names separated by slashes, where optionally you can have a leading slash to indicate a an absolute reference, and otherwise it is relative to some implicit "working directory". You can encode content addressable stores just fine by interpreting the path components. You can even encode drive letters or remote machines, or arbitrary computation using things like FUSE or P9. Paths just encode a path through a graph, that's it. They are the wrong place to put fancy knobs and dials.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mystes posted:

if you include some garbage immediate mode ui library in a language, people will start making apps that don't support CJK languages or accessibility stuff

will start???

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Athas posted:

I don't know what the C++ lunatics actually proposed, but my suggestion was a standardisation of paths as a syntactic construct, not a standardisation of all file system operations. Unix-style paths are just names separated by slashes, where optionally you can have a leading slash to indicate a an absolute reference, and otherwise it is relative to some implicit "working directory". You can encode content addressable stores just fine by interpreting the path components. You can even encode drive letters or remote machines, or arbitrary computation using things like FUSE or P9. Paths just encode a path through a graph, that's it. They are the wrong place to put fancy knobs and dials.

Nope! There's a lot more to it than that.

Win32 paths are UTF-16 strings separated by either slashes or backslashes. Some sort of case-folding is also applied when matching filenames in the filesystem.

Linux paths are byte strings separated by a 0x2F byte and terminated with a 0x00 byte, and file names are not allowed to include either of those two bytes. These byte strings are typically interpreted as UTF-8 characters, but that is strictly a user-space assumption, and Linux will happily let you create file names that contain invalid UTF-8. This will blow up an application which does not treat file names as byte arrays, which is most of them. It's a reasonable assumption most of the time, but e.g. /bin/mv and /bin/rm should not make it.

Also Linux allows filesystems to be mounted with various forms of case-folding. The Steam Deck does this, for example.

I don't know what file system naming rules the .DS_Store operating system uses but I'm sure it's something powerfully idiotic.

Anyway Rust has a filesystem abstraction that takes all of these issues into account, but Go does not and early versions of Python 3 did not either. It's not an intractable problem by any means, but there are gotchas in there.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Sapozhnik posted:

Win32 paths are UTF-16 strings separated by either slashes or backslashes. Some sort of case-folding is also applied when matching filenames in the filesystem.

Linux paths are byte strings separated by a 0x2F byte and terminated with a 0x00 byte, and file names are not allowed to include either of those two bytes. These byte strings are typically interpreted as UTF-8 characters, but that is strictly a user-space assumption, and Linux will happily let you create file names that contain invalid UTF-8. This will blow up an application which does not treat file names as byte arrays, which is most of them. It's a reasonable assumption most of the time, but e.g. /bin/mv and /bin/rm should not make it.

Also Linux allows filesystems to be mounted with various forms of case-folding. The Steam Deck does this, for example.

I don't know what file system naming rules the .DS_Store operating system uses but I'm sure it's something powerfully idiotic.

Anyway Rust has a filesystem abstraction that takes all of these issues into account, but Go does not and early versions of Python 3 did not either. It's not an intractable problem by any means, but there are gotchas in there.

I am arguing most of that crap is not useful and should ideally not exist at the path layer. Case sensitivity is actually a red herring in this regard, since it is only a subset of checking whether two paths reference the same object. You need to touch the file system to get the right answer.

The Unix path model is not perfect, but it is a lot better than the mess of Windows. Surprising, since Unix is older. I can't decide whether it would be preferable to require paths to be valid UTF-8.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sapozhnik posted:

you can put a slash in a filename in the macos finder, but it will actually be a colon in the filesystem lol (i assume cause you could put slashes in filenames in classic macos, but not colons since they were the separator)

also i used to do fancy non-alphanumeric sorting of files by pasting CR in front which wouldnt be visible in finder but would still affect sort order. now allowed any longer tho :(

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 31, 2024

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
std::filesystem just standardized boost::filesystem with minor tweaks. it is not something i would hold up as an example of brilliant design that solves all of the hard problems for you, but it's basically fine.

if you are creating a platform which does not have a filesystem where std::filesystem's api makes sense you can just not implement it. any software which uses std::filesystem is going to depend on a sufficiently unix-like filesystem api even if you don't provide one in the standard library so it's not actually reducing portability in any way.

we're actually currently working on making our stuff work without a filesystem to support some incredibly stupid wasm poo poo. the fact that we use std::filesystem has increased the complexity of this project by exactly zero.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The stupid poo poo part of std::fs is knowing whether you need to link another library for it or not, and the fact that this changes based on your platform & stdlib version.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I don't believe for a second that win32 paths are utf-16

maybe ucs-2

not gonna look it up tho

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

and while this is awesome for Decker, it absolutely loving sucks for any applications anyone needs to use to get work done or do other non-optional tasks throughout their day

I honestly, sincerely wish that the iOS App Store had outright rejected applications from day 1 that used non-platform controls where platform controls existed, and that neither web views nor JavaScriptCore were ever a thing

I wonder if they would have blocked Safari for having a button that switched between “stop” and “reload”, which was explicitly called out as a banned pattern in the HIG of the time (until I pointed it out to Dave Hyatt and he went and sat on someone’s head)

(JavaScriptCore has no UI elements at all, I don’t get what your issue is there)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sapozhnik posted:

Win32 paths are UTF-16 strings separated by either slashes or backslashes.

they are sequences of 16-bit code units, but they are not necessarily UTF-16 in that they can contain unpaired surrogate units and other illegal constructs. you can have a Windows filename such that it cannot be expressed accurately in any other encoding. (some Windows APIs will reject paths with unpaired surrogates, but not all, so enjoy)

similarly, Linux just requires that paths contain no 0 bytes. you can have a filename on Linux that is not possible to decode as legal UTF-8

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I don't believe for a second that win32 paths are utf-16

maybe ucs-2

not gonna look it up tho

used to be UCS-2 until Windows 95 or so I think, then kinda-UTF-16

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Subjunctive posted:

they are sequences of 16-bit code units, but they are not necessarily UTF-16 in that they can contain unpaired surrogate units and other illegal constructs. you can have a Windows filename such that it cannot be expressed accurately in any other encoding. (some Windows APIs will reject paths with unpaired surrogates, but not all, so enjoy)

similarly, Linux just requires that paths contain no 0 bytes. you can have a filename on Linux that is not possible to decode as legal UTF-8

also worth noting that just because a path is valid to the rest of linux doesn't mean it's valid to the filesystem in question, so you can't necessarily perform file io just because the path is valid

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Athas posted:

I am arguing most of that crap is not useful and should ideally not exist at the path layer. Case sensitivity is actually a red herring in this regard, since it is only a subset of checking whether two paths reference the same object. You need to touch the file system to get the right answer.

“reference the same object” isn’t what you’re checking with case insensitivity. you’re checking whether the paths are equal (even if not identical). same-referent helps with open, but doesn’t solve “create(‘a’); delete(‘A’)” because you don’t operate on the object there except as a side effect; you operate on the set of directory entries. just because two paths point at the same file doesn’t mean that they’re equal

(even ignoring dangling symlinks and so forth)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
was anyone other than apple ever braindead enough to make a case-insensitive filesystem?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FAT?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
lmao how could i forget. just checked ~wikipedia~ and it appears this idiocy is limited to fat, hfs, iso 9660 cds, and some ancient dec poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DELETE CASCADE posted:

was anyone other than apple ever braindead enough to make a case-insensitive filesystem?

you are. im not saying you did it, but your braindead enough

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

my programs may be bad, but i'm at least smart enough to never attempt to make a filesystem

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my programs may be bad, but i'm at least smart enough to never attempt to make a filesystem

I worked on a filesystem but it was basically “what if networked filesystem but fully POSIX and you get extN’s core feature set because that’s what we’re wrapping” so we avoided the worst pits of design hell. still managed to gently caress up a lot of stuff, but apparently people are still using it!

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Subjunctive posted:

I worked on a filesystem but it was basically “what if networked filesystem but fully POSIX and you get extN’s core feature set because that’s what we’re wrapping” so we avoided the worst pits of design hell. still managed to gently caress up a lot of stuff, but apparently people are still using it!

on halloween do the trick-or-treaters come by your house dressed as locks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Visions of Valerie posted:

on halloween do the trick-or-treaters come by your house dressed as locks

they dress up as science jobs that use mmap and work on different pages but have a fencepost error in their page splitting so there’s a 1-byte overlap in lock ranges and actually I would sort of be down for the AWOOGA alarm at this facility that means “criticality” because the author of the simulation in question denies that there’s a bug

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
"i want Fart.txt and fart.txt to be different files". this is why unix-brains shouldn't be allowed to design anything that regular users can interact with

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
but then you have to decide how case-folding and diacritic-insensitive comparison works and that might require talking to non-computer people and maybe even making hard decisions

when I wrote the SQLite collation functions used by Core Data my decision was to just punt to the OS and whatever it had established for the process’s locale, and just focus on minimizing allocations… which means you only got Turkish i vs ı rules applied when running in a Turkish locale, but at least it was consistent with everything else on the same system

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Maybe that poo poo should be in presentation layers instead of in the kernel. I dunno, since I'm just some dummy nerd who has never spoken to a human being.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

redleader posted:

"i want Fart.txt and fart.txt to be different files". this is why unix-brains shouldn't be allowed to design anything that regular users can interact with

now do "㶷.txt" and "𤈎.txt" should those be different op?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Just got off the phone with mom (a human) and she says that it is important that users of raw filesystem syscalls can take advantage of locale-aware case insensitivity, and that I should not expect all user-facing applications to use libraries that can handle case insensitivity for them. On the other hand I also asked the cashier (edit: another human) at the supermarket, and he says not to forget separation of concerns and the importance of semantic simplicity at the storage layer. Help??? How do I interpret these humans?

Athas fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 1, 2024

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

fart simpson posted:

now do "㶷.txt" and "𤈎.txt" should those be different op?

im leaving that in the well-qualified hands of the unicode committee

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

redleader posted:

did u know: "F" and "f" are also different unicode code points??? U+0046 vs U+0066.

seems like you have some growing up to do.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

redleader posted:

yeah, it is all non-trivial, but unicode for one gets you a well-considered specification of at least a way to do it.

afaik unicode case folding considers 㶷 and 𤈎 different, but if you want to make a blanket decision i believe there's tables for the full han unification effort available.

e: yeah, case folding is a real short list comparatively https://www.unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/CaseFolding.txt, but not the only bit unicode offers.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, it is all non-trivial, but unicode for one gets you a well-considered specification of at least a way to do it.

afaik unicode case folding considers 㶷 and 𤈎 different, but if you want to make a blanket decision i believe there's tables for the full han unification effort available.

it considers them different because they made a mistake

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fart simpson posted:

it considers them different because they made a mistake

right, but presumably then they are normalized in the unification tables. like, it is not the simplest thing in the world to do full unicode with these things, but the info is there if one wants to use it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

eschaton posted:

but then you have to decide how case-folding and diacritic-insensitive comparison works and that might require talking to non-computer people and maybe even making hard decisions

when I wrote the SQLite collation functions used by Core Data my decision was to just punt to the OS and whatever it had established for the process’s locale, and just focus on minimizing allocations… which means you only got Turkish i vs ı rules applied when running in a Turkish locale, but at least it was consistent with everything else on the same system

everyone just looooves locales. Who doesn't love locales? You can have hours of fun with locales when figuring out why the file from your computer cannot be read on Bob's computer.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lucky that microsoft offers both, either you get proper filenames and a structure readable by humans, or you open files by guid which gets you the uniquely identified file no matter where it is located (including network shares).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why not have the real file name and file display name be different things

no problems