Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I think that this is bullshit, but it’s high‐class bullshit that sells Malcom Gladwell books and David Leonhardt columns.

I genuinely believe it must play at least a small role in explaining France's switch from (extremely) low to high fertility in the European context, but I also realize that it's pointless to speculate too much. You can't conclusively establish causal links when examining these extremely complex and multifaceted phenomena. It's not possible. Fun to think about, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

France has such high fertility because they're a nation of Pepe LePewesque sex maniacs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
France just appears in random places of the world, basically an SCP.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's true. You could be on a cruise in the middle of the Pacific, trying to get as far away from France as humanly possible, but nope. Still France.

Doing their usual wololo stuff while no one's looking to make sure that everyone speaks French

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Backrooms belong to France and are therefore a part of the EU despite not existing in the same spatial or temporal reality as Europe.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Backrooms belong to France and are therefore a part of the EU despite not existing in the same spatial or temporal reality as Europe.

Turning a corner in a maze of never-ending corridors to find a disaffected Parisian smoking at a table who absolutely refuses to talk to you.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Turning a corner in a maze of never-ending corridors to find a disaffected Parisian smoking at a table who absolutely refuses to talk to you.

There's a joke about EU bureaucratic machine here...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All I know is that in my children’s lifetimes France will outnumber the boches, thus correcting Europe’s natural order. Nature is healing.
Trouble is, the Brits will outnumber both.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But how will their numbers be distributed?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

But how will their numbers be distributed?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Phlegmish posted:

^ yeah I think that might be NSFW lol

I have an admittedly completely unverifiable and unscientific theory about that. France's relatively high fertility by European standards is sometimes chalked up to its huge immigrant(-descended) population, but in reality immigrant communities usually adopt their host society's demographic pattern after a generation or two, and I suspect fertility would still be high even if we compared native populations exclusively.

The interesting thing about this is that it follows centuries and centuries of extremely low fertility even by Western European standards (which only differed slightly from the rest of the world by comparison). France in the 16th century was the most populous state in Europe, and it wasn't even close, it was basically in its own order of magnitude, while by the early 19th century this was already no longer the case. There are regions of France that currently have a lower population than in 1789.

So thinking about this, for generations and generations now there must have been a strong selection for various factors (cultural, sociological, possibly even genetic, etc.) that potentially affect fertility, while this wasn't the case to the same extent in the rest of Europe or the world. Hence, France today paradoxically has a robust fertility rate, as opposed to the near-complete collapse seen in the rest of the developed world. You can even see this at the sub-national level in Belgium. Flanders's population growth has outpaced that of Wallonia (which is of course firmly within the francophone cultural sphere) ever since independence, and this is still the case, but currently this is driven exclusively by differences in the net migration rate, at this point the traditional fertility gap has completely reversed.

Like and subscribe for more vaguely plausible-sounding theories that I pulled out of my rear end

the recent kurzgesagt video on human population decline mentioned a hypothesis along vaguely the same lines; that in a few generations selection pressures might start to make the people/culture that actually survives really like babies and children and so cause a bit of a rebound.

to me (totally ignorant on this subject) it does sound kinda plausible

else we're all hosed anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We seem to only just be leaving the exponential phase as part of a hopeful transition to the stationary phase, so there's far more to worry about in the immediate future than not enough people.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Phlegmish posted:

I have an admittedly completely unverifiable and unscientific theory about that. France's relatively high fertility by European standards is sometimes chalked up to its huge immigrant(-descended) population, but in reality immigrant communities usually adopt their host society's demographic pattern after a generation or two, and I suspect fertility would still be high even if we compared native populations exclusively.

/snip for brevity

French people also spend less time working than most nationalities. Having a better work/life balance is a big predictor of birth rates in wealthy countries these days.

Its increasing looking like having both parents working 40+hrs a week just isn't conducive to having kids. Which makes, well, a whole lot of sense.

Guavanaut posted:

We seem to only just be leaving the exponential phase as part of a hopeful transition to the stationary phase, so there's far more to worry about in the immediate future than not enough people.

The planet as a whole might be in the stationary phase, due to very high birth rates in developing countries, but plenty of countries are in the death phase or heading towards it already so very much do need to worry about it right now. China's population for example is going to decline by 400mn people over the next 50 years, thats a collapse unheard of in human history. Especially in peace time, with no impact from devestating famine, plague or warfare. Its going to be very, very difficult to manage a demographic change like that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guavanaut posted:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

the recent kurzgesagt video on human population decline mentioned a hypothesis along vaguely the same lines; that in a few generations selection pressures might start to make the people/culture that actually survives really like babies and children and so cause a bit of a rebound.

to me (totally ignorant on this subject) it does sound kinda plausible

else we're all hosed anyway

I agree with Kurzgesagt (or at least the hypothesis they mentioned) on that. Just as exponential population growth is unsustainable in the long term, the same is true for population decline. It logically has to balance out at some point, or it would end with the extinction of mankind. I believe that most of the world will eventually follow France's path and end up with a fertility rate at or slightly below the replacement level.

Which is a fairly hopeful way of looking at things, but in the meantime there is going to be serious upheaval and generational conflict as nearly every country (outside of a few dozen of the least urbanized and educated ones) will experience massive population losses by the second half of the 21st century. This will be especially pronounced in East Asia, which has strong legal and cultural barriers against mass immigration.

Blut posted:

French people also spend less time working than most nationalities. Having a better work/life balance is a big predictor of birth rates in wealthy countries these days.

Its increasing looking like having both parents working 40+hrs a week just isn't conducive to having kids. Which makes, well, a whole lot of sense.

Yes, this is also an important factor. I mentioned earlier that Taiwan and South Korea have some of the lowest fertility rates in the entire world, well below 1. It's almost unprecedented in human history. One of the reasons is that, other than being highly developed, these societies also tend to be competitive and cut-throat, with high standards imposed on both children and adults. The job and housing markets over there are very tough for young people, and at the same time it is incredibly expensive to raise a child, combining to lower fertility even more.

Most of these East Asian countries, especially Japan and Singapore (which is technically not East Asian but is demographically similar) have implemented incentives to encourage fertility by now, usually financial in nature, but they don't seem to be having much effect so far.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The most pronounced instances of population decline will, logically, occur in countries that combine low fertility with a highly negative net migration rate. This is not even a hypothetical prediction, it has already happened to a spectacular degree in certain areas of Eastern Europe.

My dad, also a demographic nerd, brings up Bulgaria a lot since he has visited it semi-regularly starting in the mid-eighties. In 1988, just before the Iron Curtain started to crumble, Belgium and Bulgaria had comparable populations of ~9,902,000 vs. 8,981,446, respectively. Belgium was larger, but the difference was less than a million. It was in the same ballpark. In 2022, these countries' respective populations were 11,584,008 vs. 6,447,710, which is less than Flanders by itself. If the trend continues, and there is nothing to suggest it won't, Bulgaria will soon have a population only half the size of that of Belgium.

The red line is Belgium, black is Bulgaria. The Bulgarian population has declined by more than 28% since its peak in 1988.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blut posted:

The planet as a whole might be in the stationary phase, due to very high birth rates in developing countries, but plenty of countries are in the death phase or heading towards it already so very much do need to worry about it right now. China's population for example is going to decline by 400mn people over the next 50 years, thats a collapse unheard of in human history. Especially in peace time, with no impact from devestating famine, plague or warfare. Its going to be very, very difficult to manage a demographic change like that.

This is always the angle The Economist is pushing, but Japan has done fine with 30 years of a stagnant economy and rapidly greying population. Maybe macro indicators are "bad" but daily life is nice for the vast majority of Japanese. Eastern Europe has done even worse demographically, and everywhere is way nicer now than it was 30 or even 15 years ago, albeit a lot of that is emigration.

I’m not expecting to retire before 70 nor to get more than two-thirds of my projected pension, but it’s not like either leads to societal collapse.

Anyway I guess we can all be thankful that Japan is beta testing it and South Korea is doing a speedrun, but even so it’s not Children of Men.

Climate change seems to be a much more fundamental concern than population greying and a decline that happens over 2-3 generations. Population aging doesn’t even seem like it ranks in the top 10 concerns for catastrophic societal upheaval.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

panhandlia doesn't have a pan, otherwise 10/10

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Saladman posted:

This is always the angle The Economist is pushing, but Japan has done fine with 30 years of a stagnant economy and rapidly greying population. Maybe macro indicators are "bad" but daily life is nice for the vast majority of Japanese. Eastern Europe has done even worse demographically, and everywhere is way nicer now than it was 30 or even 15 years ago, albeit a lot of that is emigration.

I’m not expecting to retire before 70 nor to get more than two-thirds of my projected pension, but it’s not like either leads to societal collapse.

Anyway I guess we can all be thankful that Japan is beta testing it and South Korea is doing a speedrun, but even so it’s not Children of Men.

Climate change seems to be a much more fundamental concern than population greying and a decline that happens over 2-3 generations. Population aging doesn’t even seem like it ranks in the top 10 concerns for catastrophic societal upheaval.

Hmm. It's worth noting that the population decline in Eastern Europe is very uneven, and it has disproportionately occurred in countries that don't have a strong social security system to begin with, particularly Bulgaria and Romania. Other nations like Poland have mostly just stagnated, and I think Czechia has even grown.

Even Japan, which does indeed have a rapidly aging population compared to the rest of the world, is essentially still in the beginning stages even now. Its population peaked as recently as 2010. Not to mention that places like Taiwan and South Korea have experienced a much more extreme and less gradual fertility decline than Japan, which started occasionally dipping below the replacement level as early as the 1960s, so they will be hit harder in certain respects (although in the initial stage it does mean the older cohorts will still be relatively small).

Basically, it's uncharted waters. I agree that the effects of population aging will be more gradual and less spectacular than those of climate change, but there is still no reason to expect anything positive to come from it, except maybe housing becoming more affordable. The governments of all of these countries seem to concur that it's a major issue.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Have any counties successfully increased their fertility rates? Lots of countries have attempted it, I can't think of any that have worked.

The cost to society of no going people is immense. I wonder if it will get to the point of effectively paying a woman a salary to be a stay at home mom. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be economically worth it in the long run.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Russia's fertility rate was growing steadily from mid-90s to mid-10s (never reached 2.0 though) with births eventually surpassing deaths, but it crashed again soon after that.

Probably shouldn't take advice from them, anyway.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 1, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Have any counties successfully increased their fertility rates? Lots of countries have attempted it, I can't think of any that have worked.

The cost to society of no going people is immense. I wonder if it will get to the point of effectively paying a woman a salary to be a stay at home mom. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be economically worth it in the long run.
Why only women? Hell, you're leaving kids on the table by not just making it a UBI and letting gay dudes have the money and time to have kids too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why only women? Hell, you're leaving kids on the table by not just making it a UBI and letting gay dudes have the money and time to have kids too.

As someone who benefited from a stay at home parent, it should be viewed as a job and rewarded as such.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

As I mentioned earlier, countries like Japan and Singapore have attempted a number of measures, mostly financial, but seemingly without much success. Not surprising. It's extremely difficult for a government to meaningfully influence fertility, especially in an encouraging sense, since it is both a very personal, life-impacting decision (or it should be), and determined at the collective level largely by deep-rooted structural factors that you can't simply legislate away.

Take a look at the TFR world map posted on the previous page. The country of Iran is a literal theocracy. I'm not sure what their government's policy on modern contraception is, but I would assume it's at least heavily restricted or discouraged (I don't actually know so correct me if this is wrong). Doesn't matter, the fertility rate in Iran is on par with most of Europe, because structurally its population has very high levels of urbanization and education compared to its neighbors, and consequently it has reached the final stages of the demographic transition.

You can't turn back the clock, nor should you want to, for obvious reasons. There is no couple on Earth that would decide to have a child just so they can receive a cash bonus from the government. No matter how massive that sum is, it won't come close to compensating for the costs of spending 18+ years raising a child in a modern society. The best you can do is change the implicit cost-benefit analysis, and take away the obstacles for couples that already want to have children, as much as you can.

I wrote a few college papers on this subject back in 2010 or so, so I don't know to what extent this still holds true, but the Nordic countries also have a reasonably high fertility level compared to the rest of Europe (again, even if we just look at the native population). This is very likely linked to the fact that the governments of these countries heavily subsidize things like child and maternity care, making it easier for working parents to combine their jobs with child-rearing. I strongly believe that this is the way to go. The other extreme is Spain which, despite its supposed traditional Catholic background, provides very little support to working parents. The result is that it currently has one of the lowest fertility rates in all of Europe.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Fertility rates are also negatively correlated with women's education and financial independence. Pregnancy sucks and women know it. Likely some serious medical developments will need to happen before fertility rates can go above replacement level in developed countries.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes! Well, maybe not UBI, but generally the government should do everything within its power to promote and subsidize things like fertility treatment so that single parents and non-traditional couples who wish to have children, can do so. Again, take away any obstacles that might exist. By itself, it would probably be no more than a drop in the bucket, but combined with other measures (such as heavily subsidizing child care) it could make a meaningful difference.

Developed societies urgently need to invest in pro-natal policies, but ones that are based on choice and technology/science rather than ethical conservatism (which would ignore modern realities and usually (mostly for that reason) end up being completely ineffective anyway).

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 1, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Impediments to raising/spending time with children is a huge stressor in my life as someone who lives in the US and had to go back to work 5 weeks after my child was born, and my company has comparatively good time off and parental leave standards. Affordable childcare and child-related resources (like diapers being cheaper, good lord, or formula) would change peoples' opinions on having children. Most people just flat out cannot afford it.

It takes a village and the way society is these days, people dont have a village. Most people have nothing. I have to beg my mother to drive ~20 minutes to come help us so I can do important things like work, eat, or bathe. But I dont quite blame her for not being more available - she is taking care of her elderly mother and works full time... how is she supposed to also have time for us?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Oh yeah, the climate change people brought up earlier is also directly related to fertility. Polls in America indicate climate change is making a majority of women reconsider having kids at all, or more kids if they already have them, and a third would like to have fewer kids or have decided to have fewer kids than they initially wanted. Fertility could plummet dramatically across the board if "it's immoral to put children into this world" becomes a mainstream or at least not particularly fringe opinion.

Hunt11 posted:

As someone who benefited from a stay at home parent, it should be viewed as a job and rewarded as such.
For the entire duration of having child dependents? At what level? Obviously parents get added house work, but it's not like it doesn't exist for non-parents.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Take a look at the TFR world map posted on the previous page. The country of Iran is a literal theocracy. I'm not sure what their government's policy on modern contraception is, but I would assume it's at least heavily restricted or discouraged (I don't actually know so correct me if this is wrong). Doesn't matter, the fertility rate in Iran is on par with most of Europe, because structurally its population has very high levels of urbanization and education compared to its neighbors, and consequently it has reached the final stages of the demographic transition.

Back in the 80s Iran had both it's revolution as well as a brutal war with Iraq. The result was a baby boom. After a few years it was recognized that there were downsides to this so the theocratic government actively encouraged family planning to get the birth rate down, which I believe worked. I'm afraid I don't remember the specific policies, and I have no idea what policies are in place today.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also a whole crisis going on with the daycare and preschool industry where there aren't enough people getting into the field, so there's a pretty big shortage. Boosting fertility is not just about trying to convince the childless to make the decision become child-ful, it is about making it easier for those who choose to have children to maybe have an extra, which I think is relatively less of a lifestyle change and cost compared to going from zero to one.

What definitely doesn't seem to work is trying hard to shut down women's opportunities to force them to have nothing else to do but have children. South Korea going all in on misogynistic incels seems to be driving a big drop in fertility, and China's current misogynistic swing towards natalism also seems to be doing the reverse of what it was supposed to.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's also a whole crisis going on with the daycare and preschool industry where there aren't enough people getting into the field, so there's a pretty big shortage. Boosting fertility is not just about trying to convince the childless to make the decision become child-ful, it is about making it easier for those who choose to have children to maybe have an extra, which I think is relatively less of a lifestyle change and cost compared to going from zero to one.

What definitely doesn't seem to work is trying hard to shut down women's opportunities to force them to have nothing else to do but have children. South Korea going all in on misogynistic incels seems to be driving a big drop in fertility, and China's current misogynistic swing towards natalism also seems to be doing the reverse of what it was supposed to.
They need to invent the Junior tech.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Back in the 80s Iran had both it's revolution as well as a brutal war with Iraq. The result was a baby boom. After a few years it was recognized that there were downsides to this so the theocratic government actively encouraged family planning to get the birth rate down, which I believe worked. I'm afraid I don't remember the specific policies, and I have no idea what policies are in place today.

That makes sense. I do think that governments can have partial success restricting fertility, or at least hastening the transition, but achieving the opposite is much harder. We see this in China, the CCP by now has completely reversed course from its earlier one-child policy, but their attempts have been almost completely ineffective so far, with the country (according to their own statistics) losing population for the second year in a row.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

There arent enough people getting into daycare/preschool because dealing with children that are not your own sucks rear end. So when the job sucks and pays poo poo, no one wants to do it except the desperate or the passionate. If my wife and I could afford a small class preschool (where the children were less likely to get sick) I would have been happy to have more than 2. But the way things are with EVERYTHING being more expensive, I'll be happy if I live till my children graduate highschool considering the stress.

SlothfulCobra posted:

You mean treating women like objects doesnt work?!? Try harder!

edit: I realize I have not posted any maps so I'll stop replying on the fertility topic

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

edit: I realize I have not posted any maps so I'll stop replying on the fertility topic

No, i think it's very valuable to have people literally say 'if not for X I would have had more children'. Whatever X is, that's what we need to focus on, that's what we need to address as a society.

The good thing about this subject is also that it's not very difficult to find interesting maps.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Saladman posted:

Japan's population only began declining around ten years ago, its population grew from 30 to 10 years ago. Its only barely a decade yet into its declining population, which is only down 2.7mn from peak (128mn) so far - circa 2%. It hasn't even hit the steepest part of the curve yet.

Come back to me in 2050 when its population has declined by another rather more meaningful 22mn, and aged rapidly at the same time, and we'll see how well its handling the demographic change. Thats a very real, imminent, societal disaster on a time scale where climate change won't have done anything meaningful to the population of the country.

Count Roland posted:

There've been a few different things tried - financial incentives in places like Russia and Hungary, which do seem to have a minor effect. Parental supportive infrastructure in places like Sweden or Finland also does seem to have an effect. But neither, even combined, would increase levels to replacement (or higher).

Even in the Nordics they're declining again now too, theres a good recent FT article on it here: https://www.ft.com/content/500c0fb7-a04a-4f87-9b93-bf65045b9401

It would seem that as human beings for a multi-child family unit to function/be appealing (for most people at a societal level - there are always going to be exceptions) there needs to be _someone_ at home full time. Its too difficult and unappealing to balance two parents working 40+ hours a week and having 3-4 children otherwise. I don't know if that neccessarily has to be the woman, but the figures would suggest women would need to start prioritising having children much earlier instead of focusing on their careers/other until mid 30s - which means it will be they who need do the biggest adjustment either way.

Whether capitalism will allow that to happen is another thing, though. Its going to be extremely difficult to go back to one-income households being the norm now that its become a requirement to have a double income to lead a middle class life.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kids suck, money or not

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Frankly, my experience from working office jobs in sweden is that almost every upper-middle class couple seems to get 2-3 kids while working full time in their thirties. It's certainly perfectly possible and practical to have kids for middle to upper middle class people where both the man and woman are getting their 10-12 months or whatever of parental leave, daycare is affordable and employers have simply adapted to people disappearing off the face of the earth randomly for a year every now and then. Now, if we want them to get litters of 4-5 kids to compensate for if a significant percentage dont get kids at all, I'm not sure any incentives are going to suffice.

I guess my point is that with the support structure here it is perfectly possible for those who want a bunch of kids to get them while still having careers, and also that my impression is that those who want and can get kids do seem to be getting them. Those who don't want kids probably still have a myriad of reasonable reasons for that though. Economical of personal is anyones guess.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 1, 2024

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Blut posted:

Japan's population only began declining around ten years ago, its population grew from 30 to 10 years ago. Its only barely a decade yet into its declining population, which is only down 2.7mn from peak (128mn) so far - circa 2%. It hasn't even hit the steepest part of the curve yet.

Come back to me in 2050 when its population has declined by another rather more meaningful 22mn, and aged rapidly at the same time, and we'll see how well its handling the demographic change. Thats a very real, imminent, societal disaster on a time scale where climate change won't have done anything meaningful to the population of the country.
The relevant number to look at from an economic perspective is working age population. And that grew rapidly until it peaked in the 1990s and has shrunk quite a bit since then.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Frankly, my experience from working office jobs in sweden is that almost every upper-middle class couple seems to get 2-3 kids while working full time in their thirties. It's certainly perfectly possible and practical to have kids for middle to upper middle class people where both the man and woman are getting their 10-12 months or whatever of parental leave, daycare is affordable and employers have simply adapted to people disappearing off the face of the earth randomly for a year every now and then. Now, if we want them to get litters of 4-5 kids to compensate for if a significant percentage dont get kids at all, I'm not sure any incentives are going to suffice.

I guess my point is that with the support structure here it is perfectly possible for those who want a bunch of kids to get them while still having careers, and also that my impression is that those who want and can get kids do seem to be getting them. Those who don't want kids probably still have a myriad of reasonable reasons for that though. Economical of personal is anyones guess.

The data shows the exact opposite of that in the real world, the more educated Swedish women are the less likely they are to have children:

And amongst those who have children the average number is only 1.52.

DTurtle posted:

The relevant number to look at from an economic perspective is working age population. And that grew rapidly until it peaked in the 1990s and has shrunk quite a bit since then.

The working age population is further along the decline, but still nowhere near reaching peak (trough?) problematic level, as your chart shows. My point was, and still is, its very premature to say "quality of life in Japan is fine now, they're going to be fine" when the process is still going to get much, much worse.

Blut fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I feel like Midwife being the least childless is definitely.. something.