Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nuclear Tourist posted:

When I did the Halsin portal fight I had just respecced my pc to a storm sorcerer and I was cackling like a crazy person while frying everything with create water and lightning bolt. Having a big horde of undead bum rush you is never not a good time.

Storm Sorcerer (with optionally a dip into tempest domain) is absolutely a 10/10 palpatine cackling experience, bonus points if you are the dark urge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

wit posted:

Evards black tentacles too. I liked the battle when I realised it was a tower defense game. Definitely one you shouldnt go into with a standard loadout. Did anyone manage to wing that battle blind without foreknowledge of it?

My Tav was a light cleric with the Blood of Lathander (back when it had no save). Spirit Guardians plus the light cleric channel divinity and some fireballs from Gale clean up pretty fast.

Nowadays I mostly do barrelmancy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My first run I did the Halsin portal fight blind, and Shadowheart just happened to be standing in exactly the right spot to mace laser two and a half waves of enemies in one action. It was pretty great.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I killed that Imp legit and it didn’t have anything but a lesson on not loving with Crone Island :colbert:

I know you can throw it but you can’t loot the deep :argh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Thundarr posted:

My first run I did the Halsin portal fight blind, and Shadowheart just happened to be standing in exactly the right spot to mace laser two and a half waves of enemies in one action. It was pretty great.
Haha awesome; and if any of them make it into close range they get Destroy Undead right in the eyes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://x.com/bg3Minky/status/1752722631982293172?s=20

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
That fight is where I use every single barrel I’ve sent to camp in act 1 and 2 up to that point. As soon as the Gith come out of the water KABOOM.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Light Cleric is the MVP of the Halsin portal fight.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I liked the gimmick fights like the portal fight or the Iron Throne because they invite you to optimize for something other than raw damage.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Hasted Thief Tav and Wyll with Dimensional Door broke the Iron Throne bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just threw down a wall of fire and started hurling fireballs.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t know anything about the reporter but Pandaily is reporting that Tencent is in early talks to acquire the Dungeons and Dragons IP from Hasbro

Posting from over in GBS Chinathread, but I figure few people in Games need convincing that Tencent sucks real bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tencent own 30% of Larian and empowered them to go big. For what reason should I be mad about China tho?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

JBP posted:

Tencent own 30% of Larian
Wow poo poo is inescapable

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I know every shareholder claims that it'll do hands off management but from a consumer point of view Tencent really does seem to be hands off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My question is how could they be worse than Hasbro lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JBP posted:

Tencent own 30% of Larian and empowered them to go big. For what reason should I be mad about China tho?

"man, I sure wish I could buy new plastic instruments, maybe now that epic has rock band we'll get new stuff"

*monkey's paw curls*

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Beetus posted:

"man, I sure wish I could buy new plastic instruments, maybe now that epic has rock band we'll get new stuff"

*monkey's paw curls*
Oh gently caress don’t remind me. We could have had Appetite for Destruction DLC and instead Harmonix were put on something called “Fortnite Festival” without a hint of irony.

Guess who owns a big chunk of Epic :smugjones:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tencent are in lots of stuff, but it's mainly not publicly traded. They seem more interested in making a dollar off their holdings than asking the holding to do stuff that isn't just make dollars.

E: also what a masterstroke funding the biggest and best D&D thing forever then picking up the franchise off its current moronic custodians.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Posting from over in GBS Chinathread, but I figure few people in Games need convincing that Tencent sucks real bad.

The crazier part about this article is that apparently Hasbro initially approached Larian to buy DND first.

E: I have a feeling this is a poor translation and the original story was "Hasbro approaches Larian to make more DND games, Larian says they'll have to go to Tencent to discuss funding".

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 1, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Finally got around to to using Karlach as a throwing barbarian. It's a lot of fun! Stopped using the returning pike after like two fights though. Why use a boring weapon when I can still deal damage throwing chairs, goblins, poison bottles, stuffed teddy bears, frickin everything.

I'm running out of giant strength potions in late Act 2 though. Still got some colossus potions and IIRC the enlarge spell also boosts strength, so hopefully the rampage can continue.

JBP posted:

Tencent are in lots of stuff, but it's mainly not publicly traded. They seem more interested in making a dollar off their holdings than asking the holding to do stuff that isn't just make dollars.

E: also what a masterstroke funding the biggest and best D&D thing forever then picking up the franchise off its current moronic custodians.

Hasbro and WotC's 1000 monkeys on a typewriter finally made a good decision when they let Larian make BG3. It's all downhill from here anyways :v:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The article itself says "[...] Tencent, represented by its overseas business department IEG Global, is in negotiations with the aim of acquiring a series of rights including the adaptation rights for electronic games such as DND." The title and most of the other text is total horseshit.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I think you're talking about something else lol

I'm almost certain it was the dialogue that would've played precombat if I didn't have Shart with me. There was supposed to be postcombat dialogue on the evil route but it didn't play. Oh well Youtube had it.

I only recently did this as a Tav with a Good Shart as a companion and the same thing happened to me. When I defeated Viconia she got a "knocked out" status despite me not having non-lethal enabled and once the fight was over and I initiated dialogue it plays the scene that would play if you didn't have Shart in your party. It just ends with you being able to say you'll give her Shart, make some dialogue checks to sway her without giving her Shart or attack her. I figured there's supposed to be a scene where you get to decide to kill her off or not. Mildly frustrating that it 's bugged, but I just looted her and left.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I bug reported it and suggest you do too, someone's gonna read that poo poo some time lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Something similiar happened to me in my last playthrough -- The dialogue when Shadowheart approached Viconia was the same but she was only knocked out instead of being killed, despite not having non-lethal attacks enabled. I was able to loot her as normally though and didn't attempt to revive her.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

JBP posted:

right? I cant find it in me to get mad, even Americanly

I have 300 or 400 hours in BG3 by now and one thing that strikes me is that Larian really did some serious heavy lifting to make 5th Edition fun

like, for who, who is it exactly that very much insisted upon that you were only allowed three total magic items, that take 24 hours to don and doff..?

oh. :shrug:

well, hopefully the perfidious Tencent will fare better in picking not-creepo authors of 6th Edition or 7th Edition or whatever the gently caress

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

exquisite tea posted:

Something similiar happened to me in my last playthrough -- The dialogue when Shadowheart approached Viconia was the same but she was only knocked out instead of being killed, despite not having non-lethal attacks enabled. I was able to loot her as normally though and didn't attempt to revive her.

I think the knockout part is supposed to happen but the dialogue after it seems to be buggy for a lot of people. In my case she was sitting in the middle of a Cloud of Daggers when she got knocked out, so she died the next turn anyway. I figured she might be meant to have some post-battle dialogue but I shrugged and decided there was nothing she might have to say that I wanted to hear badly enough to redo that fight.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Are quest items still active if I keep them in a container on my person, i.e. in a burlap sack? For example, will a Gith Detector still warn me of approaching Gith from the sack?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

woodenchicken posted:

Are quest items still active if I keep them in a container on my person, i.e. in a burlap sack? For example, will a Gith Detector still warn me of approaching Gith from the sack?

Yes I stuffed all that stuff in a sack and it worked. Doesn’t let you put the Artifact in a sack.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hasbro and WotC's 1000 monkeys on a typewriter finally made a good decision when they let Larian make BG3. It's all downhill from here anyways :v:

If you want to hear the real rants about how everything Hasbro touches goes to poo poo, talk to a Magic: The Gathering player.
:negative:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

woodenchicken posted:

That thing should be going off way more often tbh. Gith encounters are the great filter. Oh you went invisible but stood next to your friend and you think I'm going to waste a turn on sense presence? Congrats you're tiny and encumbered now chump.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Entropic posted:

If you want to hear the real rants about how everything Hasbro touches goes to poo poo, talk to a Magic: The Gathering player.
:negative:

I have a friend who used to be truly passionate about MTG and now all he does with his decades of knowledge is very cynically flip product

"Can't wait til my Mr. House equips Glamdring to attack my opponent in a MTG game" he said yesterday, seems healthy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Stealing everything from vendors with shift+right-click will almost certainly be fixed in the next patch, but it's brought me some new joy, such as seeing Karlach in Elven Chain armor. :swoon:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ooh that looks good - is that modded somehow? I don’t remember it looking that good

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

No that’s what Wyll is wearing I’ve got mods but none got Elven Chain

https://youtu.be/pQiRiT2ADeI

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

JBP posted:

What has hasbro been doing wrong with dnd? Isn’t 5e the most successful version of dnd ever? Genuinely asking.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Someone ask ChatGPT to list Hasbro and WOTC transgressions to the beat of We Didn’t Start The Fire.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Janissary Hop posted:

What has hasbro been doing wrong with dnd? Isn’t 5e the most successful version of dnd ever? Genuinely asking.

It’s not successful because of anything Hasbro did. It’s 100% because of third party creators. They got lucky, and have taken every chance they’ve been given to try to screw those third parties.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hasbro has come out and denied the sale rumour. It looks like at most tencent is looking at funding more d&d video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

The Lord Bude posted:

Hasbro has come out and denied the sale rumour. It looks like at most tencent is looking at funding more d&d video games

Probably trying to unfuck what Hasbro did laying off everyone who had something to do with BG3.