Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Peter Watts is a bit of a nutcase, but not a sex pest afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
RAH later books were totally gross but is there any evidence of pestery? He seemed pretty devoted to his wife, reportedly threw Ayn Rand out of bed

exmachina has issued a correction as of 09:09 on Feb 1, 2024

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

ulmont posted:

Like Asimov and Heinlein! Wait, poo poo.

both of them are soft scifi hacks op

The Oldest Man posted:

didnt peter watts lose to vernor vinge's google glasses book

lmao

idk what you're talking about but ok

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

Blindsight was nominated for the Hugo in 2007 but lost to Vernor Vinge's Rainbow's End which is a book that I think is quite bad and contains an original thought that amounts to "what if subreddits, but irl"

e: There's an entire subgenre of sci fi that I think can be summarized as neither hard sci fi or soft sci fi but "gee whiz" sci fi that consists of extremely detailed cutesy digressions on relatively obvious ideas. like the part in hyperion where dan simmons forgets what he's doing for like a page and writes a detailed description of how space binoculars work for absolutely no reason, except the entire book is that. I read Rainbow's End like ten years ago but I remember:

- people scanning books by shredding them and then sucking them with a giant shop vac through a scanner, a stupid technology innovation that might just be called the Google Books Bad Question Mark Machine
- a guy whose cyberpants pants got hacked so he had to have them washed which means getting rid of all the bad hacker stuff on the computer that is built into the pants
- people brought their fandoms into real life with augmented reality, oops i forgot to tell a joke relevant observation

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 08:42 on Feb 1, 2024

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

tokin opposition posted:

both of them are soft scifi hacks op

If you only read Heinlein's Juveniles or his dirty old man phase, sure. Even then Have Spacesuit... is pretty good science for the time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

Blindsight was nominated for the Hugo in 2007 but lost to Vernor Vinge's Rainbow's End which is a book that I think is quite bad and contains an original thought that amounts to "what if subreddits, but irl"

I need to correct you on something, which is that the title is ”Rainbows End”—plural, not possessive.

I say this because that wordplay is the high water mark of the book.

The Oldest Man posted:

I read Rainbow's End like ten years ago but I remember:

- people scanning books by shredding them and then sucking them with a giant shop vac through a scanner, a stupid technology innovation that might just be called the Google Books Bad Question Mark Machine
- a guy whose cyberpants pants got hacked so he had to have them washed which means getting rid of all the bad hacker stuff on the computer that is built into the pants
- people brought their fandoms into real life with augmented reality, oops i forgot to tell a joke relevant observation

- the center of the action is the hosed up Seuss library at UCSD.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

"A majority of Vernor Vinge patrons operate under the fallacious assumption that the plural is 'Rainbow Ends,'" Safire told a woman standing in line behind him. "This, of course, is a grievous grammatical blunder, akin to saying 'passerbys' or, worse yet, the dreaded 'attorney generals.'" Last week, Safire patronized a midtown Apple Store, ordering "two Visions Pro."

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I forced myself to read A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky. I am not a Vernor Vinge fan, couldn’t get into either book.

e: I thought the idea behind Deepness was cool, it’s just his writing style.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Reading? You mean that gay poo poo from school???

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I never read and look how smart I turned out

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

I never read and look how smart I turned out

I steel donut, my smart assist ant reeds them two me and I post by voice recognition

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the concept of a fire upon the deep as very cool, but the book kinda sucked.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

"The concept was cool, but the book kinda sucked" describes a lot of genre fiction.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I need to correct you on something, which is that the title is ”Rainbows End”—plural, not possessive.

I say this because that wordplay is the high water mark of the book.

- the center of the action is the hosed up Seuss library at UCSD.

I am going to keep writing it wrong on purpose.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I forced myself to read A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky. I am not a Vernor Vinge fan, couldn’t get into either book.

e: I thought the idea behind Deepness was cool, it’s just his writing style.

Deepness is a good book if you can get past the Vinge-eyness of it, at least in my opinion. It's got much more interesting takes than pretty much anything else he's ever written. The core premise is basically just wish.com three body problem written from the perspective of the invaders but there's enough going on there for it to be entertaining at least, and it's got better character writing than both Fire Upon the Deep and Children of the Sky which were both just tedious as gently caress.

It was also my first Vinge novel and I subsequently read most of his other stuff and was like "wait a minute, this guy SUCKS" after Children and Rainbose End

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The central question of rainbow's ends question is "what if the world's biggest rear end in a top hat had his brain melted by science drugs"

Anyway the books throwaway reference to discworld got me to read it so it'll always have a spot in my heart for that alone

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
We have a pretty good old thread about sex-pest authors.

Please no one say anything bad about Alastair Reynolds.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I liked Deepness a lot, main weakness IMO was that Vinge is just dreadful at writing romance plots. I actually really liked the sections he wrote from the spider perspective. Fire was ok, Children was...kind of bad? I didn't really hate it but it kind of went through me.

I think one of the worst scifi books I read was probably the hardest scifi book I've read, The Killing Star by Pellegrino and Zebrowski. Really kind of just a lovely book. IDK, adding bad fiction to unimpressive nonfiction is worse than just having nonimpressive nonfiction in the first place.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

tokin opposition posted:

Peter Watts isn't a sex pest afaik

Nor is Greg Egan

Or qntm

Turns out all you need is to read the hard stuff

I only read the hard stuff. SCP entries and such

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6qFCdHvYuI

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Desert Bus posted:

We have a pretty good old thread about sex-pest authors.

Please no one say anything bad about Alastair Reynolds.

Authors who were bad people, and why they were bad people

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866011

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

25k Standing nap tube for your office.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952C2MoccXw

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

They should replace cryogenic hibernation pods in sci fi with these things, get silicon valley to figure out how to cram more torment in this nexus (make it play ads while recording you)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

from the Bicycle repair thread:

Withnail posted:

Can you plug the new shimano 12 speed derailleurs directly to a pc or do you need some type of box in between?

edit. to answer my own question, you need to buy a PC interface box

Withnail posted:

It's loving ridiculous. I'm literally password locked out of my rear derailleur right now.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

webcams for christ posted:

There's a bike repair thread? How do we get it moved to cspam? I can't deal with all the so called "sub forums"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The car hate thread sometimes serves as the bicycle repair thread.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pygmy tyrant posted:

They should replace cryogenic hibernation pods in sci fi with these things, get silicon valley to figure out how to cram more torment in this nexus (make it play ads while recording you)
cryogenically freeze your body for 200 years but leave your brain awake and able to watch ads the entire time :waycool:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The sponsor read is longer than you think, Dad

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Taco Bell won the cryonic wars

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

pygmy tyrant posted:

you can do better than this, it records your brain activity to synthesize new NFT dreams via AI

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Ruffian Price posted:

The sponsor read is longer than you think, Dad

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

cyberpunk: there's got to be a way to hack my bicycle os

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lmao

i will never plug in my bicycle. $2 steel cable supremacy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

you can do better than this, it records your brain activity to synthesize new NFT dreams via AI

Somehow worse than the real matrix

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You can get paid to rest at establishments where they harvest your dreams via various branded pods. Pod companies compete to sign famous dreamers hundreds of millions, and most people can get upwards of like ten dollars a year: your dreams are ofc ranked on quality and popularity as well as by genre etc.

All of these ofc are fed into the the nft dream algorithm and you can purchase dreams. Organic free range dreams are ruinously expensive.

Your brain still has dreams normally if you don't do any of this. It's just that you won't ever remember them.

Something like if there was a prequel or sequel to inception and someone blew up the dream chems factory and everyone got a messed up dose

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im going to corner the market on dreams where you're being hunted by lobsters through the halls of your highschool and you're late for an exam but the lobsters keep cutting you off around every corner and they speak french for some reason

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Check out Jonathan Abernathy You Are Kind if you want a fascinating novel about the intersection of dreams and capitalism, it's an extremely CSPAM book.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

blatman posted:

im going to corner the market on dreams where you're being hunted by lobsters through the halls of your highschool and you're late for an exam but the lobsters keep cutting you off around every corner and they speak french for some reason

as long as i can’t remember where my locker is, the locker combo, or what room I’m supposed to be in - I’m interested

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Hell yeah time to monetize the flashback nightmares

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

blatman posted:

Check out Stella Mare Assaut de Homard if you want a fascinating novel about the intersection of dreams and lobsters, it's an extremely CSPAM book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1753974240888402381?t=XbvZaQB84ZkrNOwy6Wz0YQ&s=19