Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Are you gonna include anti-colonial revolutions in your whole "revolutions are never good" theory?

And if so, are you gonna sit there and say that because anti-colonial revolutions have a pretty mixed history on producing a string of dictators and unstable states post-revolution, that justifies the colonial exploitation?

"Don't rebel! We may be running your country and treating you like poo poo but it could be worse! This white man's burden is just so heavy, cut us some slack."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Klyith posted:

Are you gonna include anti-colonial revolutions in your whole "revolutions are never good" theory?

And if so, are you gonna sit there and say that because anti-colonial revolutions have a pretty mixed history on producing a string of dictators and unstable states post-revolution, that justifies the colonial exploitation?

"Don't rebel! We may be running your country and treating you like poo poo but it could be worse! This white man's burden is just so heavy, cut us some slack."

yes, this is exactly what op was saying. you cracked the case

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I take great pride in knowing that, in nearly any group I belong to, I am likely the only one who has fully completed this game.

Edit: also neozapatismo is dope and the problems they're dealing with right now, it's not like it's not what all of Mexico is dealing with.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 31, 2024

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Klyith posted:

Lmao

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Very Serious People

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t know anything about the reporter but Pandaily is reporting that Tencent is in early talks to acquire the Dungeons and Dragons IP from Hasbro

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Klyith posted:

they should've changed the system from within

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t know anything about the reporter but Pandaily is reporting that Tencent is in early talks to acquire the Dungeons and Dragons IP from Hasbro

isn't that one of hasbro's more valuable IPs?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rinkles posted:

It’s no Magic the Gathering, but yes. That said, Hasbro has been genuinely awful at making use of it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

would that mean that there will be no more D&D skeletons

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rinkles posted:

they spent the last few years trying to treat it like a toy line that they have complete and utter control over. stuff like screwing with user license agreements to force people to trickle-pay for new content, claiming ownership over user campaigns in the setting if they want, stuff like that.

it has gone VERY poorly. the attempts pissed off a community that contains a giant subsection of neurodivergent rules lawyers. ultimately, nothing changed, because said neurodivergent rules lawyers did a shockingly good job of bringing up legal issues that people could sue on, if worst came to worst.

assuming that is true and not just some rumor, it would be as a direct result of hasbro wanting to simply airlock that controversy.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
That controversy may have shown the the IP is more trouble than it’s worth, but really I would chalk it up to the absolute smash hit of Baldur’s Gate 3 proving once again that the D&D brand is worth a lot.

And Hasbro needs a lot of money to get out of its current problems—it’s been hemorrhaging money for the last few years

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i bet the folks at Paizo (Pathfinder creators) are hoping it goes through.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i can definitely believe tencent wants a shot at it because the chinese restrictions on lootboxes and other such predatory gaming tricks HAVE held so far, unlike the 1-hour-per-day restrictions that got overturned instantly because it hit the entire goddamn stock market.

tencent needs to diversify out and i'm certain the CCP will print whatever money they need to close whatever big deal they want.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The french revolution was cool tho

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Mr. Fix It posted:

i bet the folks at Paizo (Pathfinder creators) are hoping it goes through.

Isn't Pathfinder free tho?

Coolguye posted:

i can definitely believe tencent wants a shot at it because the chinese restrictions on lootboxes and other such predatory gaming tricks HAVE held so far, unlike the 1-hour-per-day restrictions that got overturned instantly because it hit the entire goddamn stock market.

tencent needs to diversify out and i'm certain the CCP will print whatever money they need to close whatever big deal they want.

Tabletop RPGs are slowly becoming a thing out here. You can get Chinese language copies of 5E on Taobao if you really want them.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Okuteru posted:

Isn't Pathfinder free tho?
The company makes money from fans buying the rule books, pre-made campaign content, and likely a whole host of ludicrously expensive knickknacks that are the sole domain of super fans with too much disposable income.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cactus Ghost posted:

what was marx wrong about?

That human nature can change and people can act for the betterment of all - even when they have the chance to put both trotters in the trough and eat all the slop while everyone else starves.

But, more seriously:

Coolguye posted:

"a 19th century philosopher was wrong about a lot of things he said" is, in fact, not a bold statement at all

it is a much more surprising thing to be able to say "a 19th century philosopher got more things right than wrong"

this is sort of the nature of philosophy in general. when you make large, sweeping statements and try to summarize life, society, and the universe, you're gonna be wrong a LOT. you're only likely to get more wrong as centuries pass.

This.

Marx went places no one had ever gone before and wrote books that have set minds on fire for 150 years. Is anyone surprised that, in that time, so much more has been learned which surpasses those original small steps and thus we have learned that some of those initial surmising were wrong because Marx had no way of knowing better?

I mean, Darwin took a huge loving leap in terms of formalising our understanding of biology, but ask any biologist how well he did given our current understanding of biology and they'd probably say the same.

Also, both Das Kapital and Origin of Species were published just a few years apart.

It doesn't take away anything from the original works that people living 150 years ago had a very limited understanding of the world compared to people today, no matter how intelligent and educated they were for their times.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 1, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thetoughestbean posted:

Now this is serious business!

How badly can Tencent make D&D suck? Make it morally right to genocide night elves? Expansion packs dealing with finding the lost land of T'ai'wan?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tencent does all this outside-china poo poo to diversify because the video game business in china is a vicious dead end and explicitly hated by the authorities. I think in 5 years their video game business will be materially incorporated in singapore or vancouver like mihoyo and split from wechat

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Lol, speaking of Singapore

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

How badly can Tencent make D&D suck? Make it morally right to genocide night elves? Expansion packs dealing with finding the lost land of T'ai'wan?

Red dragons demonstrate their sagacity by quoting from Xi Jinping Thought

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Lol, speaking of Singapore

Senator Cotton, what was Italo Balbo wrong about? I'm interested, it's an interesting question

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Skeletons quietly vanish from D&D Monster Manuals.

Halflings aren’t discriminated against; see how happily they dance!

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
^^:perfect:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Tencent are that borderline predatory ''loot box'' style of games? I remember reading that Xi/China were putting their heel down on this I thought?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
TenCent are the party-chosen megacorp behind WeChat and also own 10-49% of multiple western video game companies.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Your party rounds a corner in the dungeon and spots a loaf of bread. The loaf of bread gives an unhuman shriek and charges you. Roll initiative.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Your quest, noble adventurers is to out to the fields and slay all the evil sparrows you can find.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUjDh7d64uo

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Buying the property could be really expensive. Not just its fame, but because holding companies are usually starved for finding new properties to buy. They need growth, but newer properties aren’t beinging in the money as much as the existing stuff, which is finite.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

bad_fmr posted:

Your quest, noble adventurers is to out to the fields and slay all the evil sparrows you can find.

That ending slideshow after the game will be brutal.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The gently caress??? IGN says average time to 100% content is 5000 years???

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Parties are no longer allowed to have tanks

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Parties are no longer allowed to have tanks

you think they'll allow more than one party?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Collateral posted:

Has there been a political revolution that has turned out better for the people, in general, as opposed to those who end up on top?

I don't mean counter revolution, which are usually a return to the ante revolutionary status quo, due to the revolution sucking balls.

Like the American Revolution, lots of colonists died, and very little changed for them. Slavery was preserved and natives got screwed.

French revolution royally hosed France*, and much of Europe was plunged into 40 years of warfare.

*2 million french dead by 1815.

Has there been a good one?

The Haitian Revolution was awesome, pulled an entire nation out of slavery.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

uninterrupted posted:

The Haitian Revolution was awesome, pulled an entire nation out of slavery.

out of one kind of slavery and then directly into another kind thanks to the french and americans

e: please note that this is the fault of the french and americans though, and not of the haitian revolution

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 1, 2024

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

out of one kind of slavery and then directly into another kind thanks to the french and americans

Well also the fact that the leaders of the revolution almost immediately introduced their own corvee form of slavery to build infrastructure on the island, and some of them set up aristocracies of their own. But yea Haiti was pretty much immediately a pariah state solely because the revolutionaries were black.

Haitian history is really goddamn interesting and also really sad

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 1, 2024

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

TrashMammal posted:

e: please note that this is the fault of the french and americans though, and not of the haitian revolution

I mean, they stopped slavery. I'm just responding to "has there been a political revolution that has turned out better for the people, in general" and the Haitian revolution marked improved the lives of the average person in Haiti and freed them from slavery.

Like when China emancipated the Tibetan serfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

uninterrupted posted:

Like when China emancipated the Tibetan serfs.

a smashing success of total liberation and self determination