Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Game is running great on PC, haven't tried multiplayer yet, hopefully there won't be any matchmaking issues!

Was worried Omen Stones were going to be a "come back and do this later" mechanic but I managed to take the first one down by switching my party comp to focus on ranged attacks, since the enemies were all flyers.

https://i.imgur.com/HpKzIjl.mp4

I'm already mashing buttons way too much, probably shouldn't play Rackam for the sake of avoiding repetitive injury but I enjoy the gun spam.

e: As for the localization, I'm enjoying it.

(vomit warning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNyUALnj8V0

e: Steam reviews are "mixed" at 64% of 1062 reviews being positive atm. Some people are running into crashes. One person said multiplayer is region locked, is that true? Guess I'll find out in a bit.

e: My game just locked up when I tabbed out during the post chapter 3 cutscene. Horrible place to crash since I had to go through the boss fight again as well as wait for a scripted loss to play out again. Opted to skip cutscenes this time rather than give it another chance to crash. The game gives you a short summary of what happened whenver you skip a cutscene or dialog, which is nice.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Annoyed at the multiplayer. You have to keep babysitting the queue until you get a connection. Just let me queue up and keep looking without my input and I will cancel on my own if I get impatient,.

Damone
May 3, 2009
It looks like it, but you can get around it by setting your download region to whomever's you want to play with.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Steam version has multiplayer lobbies with filtering ala Monster Hunter World that are apparently missing on console

MP might be region locked based on your Steam download region. Monster Hunter Stories 2 had the same issue until someone made a region unlocker mod
https://www.reddit.com/r/GranblueFantasyRelink/comments/1ag93k3/is_the_steam_version_multiplayer_regionlocked/

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does region lock just mean randos from other regions won't be put into your quests, or does it competely lock you out of inviting friends from other regions too?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Cagliostro's backstory sure is something.

She's really good though, very versatile, mostly close and mid range but with a decent projectile when the enemy flies way or is otherwise unapproachable. Every combo is a completely different attack that can be further chained by mashing triangle.

Usually I don't mind when games force the MC on the party, but Cap's moveset is sooo boring compared to anyone else, sucks having to keep them in there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can configure MC into fantastic support though while you get your DPS on. I'm using Phalanx/Sub/panacea/rage. The charge bar redistribute is pretty fun too if you're okay with more frequent three chains over occasional big four chain.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

ultrachrist posted:

Cagliostro's backstory sure is something.

She's really good though, very versatile, mostly close and mid range but with a decent projectile when the enemy flies way or is otherwise unapproachable. Every combo is a completely different attack that can be further chained by mashing triangle.

Usually I don't mind when games force the MC on the party, but Cap's moveset is sooo boring compared to anyone else, sucks having to keep them in there.
As someone who played the Captain exclusively until post-game, they're incredibly versatile, and have by far the most expansive suite of Skills at 16 (!!!), so you can set them up to do essentially whatever you want, provided that they're some variety of DPS hybrid. Owing to how Adept Arts works, you must attack to get the most out of their kit, and while the AI in Relink seems pretty good, I don't know if it's always maximizing those opportunities.

Because of how the structure of the game works, where it feels like the story is essentially there just to get you to the "real" game of Chapter 0 and beyond, you can set up the Captain to speedrun through that story extremely effectively with some damaging Skills plus Rage to blow apart every boss enemy during Break; the Captain excels at all-in in a way that not all the other characters do, and they kinda play differently as a result. You don't always want to have everything on cooldown. (I played through the chapters on Hard, for what it's worth.)

What I'm saying is that I think the Captain is both pretty good and pretty satisfying, and their non-Skill combat loop teaches how to play a lot of the other characters effectively (combo into finisher, then find windows to fit a charged attack immediately afterward).

I switched to using the character you get in post-game as soon as they became available, but the Captain is my number two good buddy. Gran forever.

Incidentally, does anyone have any idea how to get your 6th weapon? I feel like I'm coming up on the end of the Maniac quests and still have no clue how to go about procuring it, and leveling my Ascension weapon took so many resources that I'm almost dreading having to repeat this process for other characters.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wait, the Cap gets 16 skills? That's wild, I guess they're all hidden in the part of the tree that only unlocks once you're past the main story?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Just a PSA to collect all the crabs as soon as you can, since they give you the two best sigils in the game (+1000 atk and +20%HP/10% dmg cut)

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 1, 2024

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
How's this game feel with keyboard and mouse? Want to give it a shot but K+M is my only option.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
How hard is it to grind MSP? Just started and haven't unlocked any characters yet.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Ibblebibble posted:

Wait, the Cap gets 16 skills? That's wild, I guess they're all hidden in the part of the tree that only unlocks once you're past the main story?
Some are, but their suite is still pretty expansive even before that point. The full list, if you're interested:
Armor Break
Clarity
Conduction
Decimate
Dispel
Miserable Mist
Overdrive Surge
Panacea
Phalanx
Rage
Rain of Arrows
Reginleiv
Revive
Stall
Substitute
Veil

boz posted:

How hard is it to grind MSP? Just started and haven't unlocked any characters yet.
I earned enough MSP from the story chapters and doing the sidequests (and quest desk quests as they came up) to essentially max out Gran and only Gran (e: where "max out" means "had all the masteries up to the point I was allowed to be at," since your masteries are gated by progression). You will start to earn much more significant amounts of MSP by doing Chapter 0/post-game content, but the commensurate increase in node cost means that I've only recently finished my first character's Offense and Defense trees, and I'm at about 30 hours of played time. There are also more things to spend MSP on for a character after you've finished these trees, as well. If you are trying to max out a "main" to carry your CPUs through Quests or to get high Honors in multiplayer, you should absolutely funnel resources exclusively to them instead of trying to spread yourself out.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 1, 2024

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Umm off topic but what is the Granblue series origin, was it just a gatcha mobile game that exploded so hard it generated all this sorta media?

Follow up is the anime any good?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Umm off topic but what is the Granblue series origin, was it just a gatcha mobile game that exploded so hard it generated all this sorta media?

Follow up is the anime any good?
Granblue Fantasy is the only gacha game I've ever actually enjoyed. It's super popular owing to a ton of factors, but has never gotten an official Western release (although the game is entirely playable in English), which gave it "Xenoblade Chronicles before it got localized" vibes for a while. Cygames has recently seemed at least a little interested in making it more of a presence globally by doing (imo) really good localizations for the anime, the fighting game(s), and now for Relink.

If you are just trying to get the gist of the lore so you understand what is happening, watching the anime before starting Relink is a solid choice, and less of a time investment than playing GBF. Relink itself does not do a spectacular job of setting up the characters and will assume some familiarity with the source material, so unless you want to read a lot of Fate Episodes and glossary entries, I'd watch the show.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Vitamean posted:

To add a bit to this, in the full game there's also an option to get sent to a random mission out of those available, and the first time you run it each day you'll get an item that increases drop rates in your next quest on use.

Is this actually a thing? Is it only post story? I'm not seeing it. I would love to just drop into random games so I can punch dudes but the multiplayer lobby system has been less than ideal, and trying to solo match make for individual bosses also times out a lot.

I may just need to give other people time to get home and play the game, of course.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 1, 2024

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

guts and bolts posted:

Granblue Fantasy is the only gacha game I've ever actually enjoyed. It's super popular owing to a ton of factors, but has never gotten an official Western release (although the game is entirely playable in English), which gave it "Xenoblade Chronicles before it got localized" vibes for a while. Cygames has recently seemed at least a little interested in making it more of a presence globally by doing (imo) really good localizations for the anime, the fighting game(s), and now for Relink.

If you are just trying to get the gist of the lore so you understand what is happening, watching the anime before starting Relink is a solid choice, and less of a time investment than playing GBF. Relink itself does not do a spectacular job of setting up the characters and will assume some familiarity with the source material, so unless you want to read a lot of Fate Episodes and glossary entries, I'd watch the show.

Thank you, I'm just at a loss whenever I look at granblue because every media piece I see looks like a spinoff.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Diephoon posted:

Is this actually a thing? Is it only post story? I'm not seeing it. I would love to just drop into random games so I can punch dudes but the multiplayer lobby system has been less than ideal, and trying to solo match make for individual bosses also times out a lot.
I don't remember exactly when it unlocks, but you'll get a "Quick Quest" function -- I think it might be after the main story completes, now that I think on it. Anyway, Quick Quest allows you to collect one Gold Ticket per 24 hours, and then one Gold Ticket for every three Quick Quests you complete. (You can also get some from other quest desk quests.) Every time you depart on a Quick Quest, you can redeem up to 3 at a time to guarantee that you get a corresponding number of gold badges, which are a currency used to buy stuff from Sierokarte.

Also, I'm not sure if Quick Quest actually does only pull from the quests you have available. I distinctly recall getting pulled into a quest I hadn't unlocked yet; I think Quick Quest tries to matchmake you into groups that are around your PWR, though it will adjust you down if there's nobody around that tier or it takes too long.

I'm also on PS5, so my experience with online is likely different from PC players. Like, I don't think PS5 has the ability to manually create or join lobbies at all, unless I'm just really stupid

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Diephoon posted:

I may just need to give other people time to get home and play the game, of course.

It's the quick quest, which is the only thing I can get to reliably pop in multiplayer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

D.Fuzzbot posted:

it was one of the first big games of the modern gacha trend yea

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Thank you, I'm just at a loss whenever I look at granblue because every media piece I see looks like a spinoff.

There's some Multiverse/Every Universe Is Canon kinda stuff going on. It's never the same story twice, but each iteration rhymes.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Isn't Granblue itself a spinoff of Rage of Bahamut?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hyper Inferno posted:

As far as I know, it just shares some art assets; Dragalia did the same thing.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

that set piece boss fight at the end of chapter 06 :popclap:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
GBF is so old I want to say you can thank them (or maybe whatever legal thing went after them) for introducing Pity systems into gacha? Not entirely sure on that one but it's one of the earliest I had ever seen

Ibblebibble posted:

you'll unlock a lot more of the tree after like chapter 5 but yeah, captain's got a lot.

I think DPS MC's play style can be kind of boring too though because you have to go through a lot of combo chains to get to level IV before you dump everything. It's pretty effective and forgiving though. If you can manage characters like Charlotta and Siegfried then you can just DPS on demand and all the time. Granted they're a bit more punishing if you don't get their gimmick.

I dislike all the characters who have a "hold triangle to charge after doing skill/combo art" personally. I find them the most boring but drat are they effective. I guess everyone is effective.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 1, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

D.Fuzzbot posted:

what? There's only 4 things. Versus, which is a spinoff. Relink, which is a spinoff. The anime, which adapts the gacha game. And the gacha game. It's not exactly confusing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hyper Inferno posted:

Some characters are reused but it's not the same universe.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Calling the cap the easiest to play when Percival is right there is questionable. Percivals got nothing going on.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Charge characters are fun I say, as I rip off 5% of a boss's HP bar with a single charged scythe combo finisher

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I used my first ticket on Ferry since she wasn't in the demo, but her moveset feels a bit underdeveloped. Her charged whip normal attacks just do not feel that good to use

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Rascyc posted:

I think DPS MC's play style can be kind of boring too though because you have to go through a lot of combo chains to get to level IV before you dump everything. It's pretty effective and forgiving though. If you can manage characters like Charlotta and Siegfried then you can just DPS on demand and all the time. Granted they're a bit more punishing if you don't get their gimmick.

I dislike all the characters who have a "hold triangle to charge after doing skill/combo art" personally. I find them the most boring but drat are they effective. I guess everyone is effective.
Basically everyone feels good, and I don't want to discourage anyone from picking Siegfried or Zeta or whomever, with their precision combos; but the Captain raises Arts level very quickly once you've teched into their tree, and just brings a lot to the table in terms of utility. They're the perfect flex slot character, and I feel like a good Captain will absolutely expedite farming end-game raids at the mid-high skill levels. Granted, the ideal setup is just everyone picking max DPS characters and Perfect Dodging everything, a la the max-damage strategies that dominated the mobage and games like Final Fantasy XIV when I played, but there's a caveat

The difference between a game like GBF and Relink is that dexterity skill is a factor, here. You cannot just have super high numbers and expect to win the top-end content efficiently, from what I've seen. I think a lot of people are going to get smacked by the Maniac and higher content that's much harder to just brute force your way through. To that end, having a tanky type (like Vane, who seems super good in this game), a flex DPS utility, a mage or ranged gunner, and a pure smashy DPS gives you a lot of room for error as a group while still producing really high throughput. I can't tell you how many Siegfrieds I've watched getting utterly demolished by the 8000+ rating quests

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Rascyc posted:

GBF is so old I want to say you can thank them (or maybe whatever legal thing went after them) for introducing Pity systems into gacha? Not entirely sure on that one but it's one of the earliest I had ever seen

If you're talking about cerulian sparks (Draw 300 times and you get to pick a character), my understanding is that that was a Japanese law to prevent it from being considered gambling.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I only know that it feels like Cygames made so much money off of the game that they feel completely comfortable throwing players free 10 rolls basically whenever they want.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I only know that it feels like Cygames made so much money off of the game that they feel completely comfortable throwing players free 10 rolls basically whenever they want.

Tenth Anni's coming up, daddy needs his Tenners.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Rascyc posted:

yeah Monkeygate was the big incident that lead to the spark system, IIRC there weren't any legal repercussions but they did refund that one guy 6K USD worth of roll currency lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endorph posted:

what? There's only 4 things. Versus, which is a spinoff. Relink, which is a spinoff. The anime, which adapts the gacha game. And the gacha game. It's not exactly confusing.

It's weird that this franchise occupies a space FF failed to fill, and FF launched like 20 mobile games to try and catch up.

Anyways, you just outlined that 2 of the 3 games are spinoffs, and only the spinoffs are officially available in the West, so it makes sense that someone would feel like they only see spinoffs. One is a fighting game for some reason.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Basically everyone feels good, and I don't want to discourage anyone from picking Siegfried or Zeta or whomever, with their precision combos; but the Captain raises Arts level very quickly once you've teched into their tree, and just brings a lot to the table in terms of utility. They're the perfect flex slot character, and I feel like a good Captain will absolutely expedite farming end-game raids at the mid-high skill levels. Granted, the ideal setup is just everyone picking max DPS characters and Perfect Dodging everything, a la the max-damage strategies that dominated the mobage and games like Final Fantasy XIV when I played, but there's a caveat

The difference between a game like GBF and Relink is that dexterity skill is a factor, here. You cannot just have super high numbers and expect to win the top-end content efficiently, from what I've seen. I think a lot of people are going to get smacked by the Maniac and higher content that's much harder to just brute force your way through. To that end, having a tanky type (like Vane, who seems super good in this game), a flex DPS utility, a mage or ranged gunner, and a pure smashy DPS gives you a lot of room for error as a group while still producing really high throughput. I can't tell you how many Siegfrieds I've watched getting utterly demolished by the 8000+ rating quests

I was thinking about single player party composition and I was thinking similarly but can't decide on two slots:

Vane - tanky damage
Gran/Djeeta - utility/support primary, damage secondary

But for the ranged slot i can't decide between Cagliostro, Rosetta, and Rackam
And for smash I guess I could either go with Vaseraga, Charlotta, or Zeta

Are any of these folks more synergistic with each other than others? I'm barely at chapter 5 so I only have Vane unlocked plus the base crew.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

jokes posted:

It's weird that this franchise occupies a space FF failed to fill, and FF launched like 20 mobile games to try and catch up.

Anyways, you just outlined that 2 of the 3 games are spinoffs, and only the spinoffs are officially available in the West, so it makes sense that someone would feel like they only see spinoffs. One is a fighting game for some reason.

The fighting game loving rules I'm glad it exists.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I have no clue about anything to do with this game's universe or characters, but the game seems fun. How far in do I have to get before it starts giving me the character unlock tickets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Einwand posted:

I have no clue about anything to do with this game's universe or characters, but the game seems fun. How far in do I have to get before it starts giving me the character unlock tickets?

It would be after the first big boss fight.