Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

**Demo out on PSN now! Includes both story mode and online co-op.**

**Goonblue Relink Discord: https://discord.gg/pRBVapKRPa**

Granblue Fantasy Relink (PS4/PS5 & PC - no crossplay between PSN and Steam unfortunately) is an action character-based RPG, where you can play a single-player story mode, as well take down large bosses or hordes of enemies solo, or multiplayer in groups of up to 4 players online. Based off of the Grandblue Fantasy world, players can take control of different characters with distinctly different combat styles, abilities, and combos. The combat is team-based, and rewards coordination with Link Attacks and Chain Bursts/Skybound Arts.

Release Date: February 1, 2024. (Jan 31 for some regions, Jan 29 Early Access for PSN)
Site: https://relink.granbluefantasy.jp/en/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gbf_relink_jp
PSN: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/229066
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/881020/Granblue_Fantasy_Relink/

What is Relink Anyway?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7faJwms7PRY

Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2wKVsGTL8

Quest Boss Co-Op Gameplay Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IETPDqkbDLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLYrbseiXIo

DLC, QoL, Endgame Sneak Peak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqPpCBi9u30

General Info Deep Dive, details many aspects of the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAZaAJfJZY

eggrolled fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Been waiting forever for this game! Excited to buy it on Steam in two weeks.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I too am looking forward to the release date. This game snuck up on me and only appeared on my radar because of Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising, but I'm pleasantly surprised what I found.

Started this thread because the demo is out now and people seem to be having a blast. I'm unfortunately on PC only so I have to wait until the 31st, but figured a place to discuss the demo/gameplay, and potentially get some groups going would be nice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You're lucky to be honest! I have been waiting for Relink since it was first shown off in 2017 lol.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm also excited for this game, though I'm a bit bummed that the singleplayer and multiplayer seem quarantined. It sounds like you're expected to unlock characters in single player and I think that'll make it a harder sell for my friends who are mostly interested in this game for MP stuff. If you could do story content co-op like in SoP that'd help. Oh well.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Oof yeah I'll consider myself lucky because waiting since 2017 is a very long time!

Yeah that's a shame that you gotta unlock things in SP first. If it's any consolation it seems like you can unlock characters in any order, so there's not specific constraints gating the different characters

Stumbled onto a character unlock/overview video that is pretty informative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2S82wKu2-Y

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Countblanc posted:

I'm also excited for this game, though I'm a bit bummed that the singleplayer and multiplayer seem quarantined. It sounds like you're expected to unlock characters in single player and I think that'll make it a harder sell for my friends who are mostly interested in this game for MP stuff. If you could do story content co-op like in SoP that'd help. Oh well.

I thought this would be a coop game. Not that I have friends interested in this, but I was hoping to play the whole game coop.

The demo is fun. I definitely enjoyed the coop killing of bosses more than the single player experience though.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I edited the OP a little to make it more clear that it's not just a 100% co-op game.

It would be nice if at the very least, they made it so you could have a friend control a party member, and that friend would simply ride backseat for the the cutscenes and stuff. But it seems like the co-op is simply meant to enhance/augment the single-player in this, where you're rewarded with upgrade materials and such but the story happens separately.

Still gonna get/play it, but I very much agree with y'all that it would be nice if there was more integration between the modes.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I didn’t follow the game for all those years so this is my fault but I thought this game was going to be like a Tales game. Playing the demo kind of showed me it isn’t that and honestly it put me off it.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played the demo and enjoyed it. Don’t know anything about granblue otherwise.

So if I preorder it on psn I get early access? Is this a weird way of dissuading me from buying physical?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Downloading the demo right now. Sad to hear there won't be cross play but I'll be getting it on steam unless there's some major performance problems.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
hard to believe this is finally coming out but hell, I'm excited

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

YES bread posted:

hard to believe this is finally coming out but hell, I'm excited

lol true, it's been in development for way too long

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i was watching some footage and I can't really figure out what triggers Link Attacks, it seems to just pop up randomly as an opportunity for the player to press O. what causes it to activate?

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

So I did some searching and found this combat overview which goes over the mechanics of link attacks and the various gauges and stuff.

Edit: this was a fextralife link oops

Apparently the enemy has a stun gauge that is filled by being continuously attacked. Once that gauge is full, they will flinch and be susceptible to Link Attacks. Once the party has performed enough Link Attacks to bring Link Level to 100%, they get Link Time, which slows the enemy and buffs the party to be able to do considerably more damage to the enemy.

eggrolled fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 16, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

holy moly that site looks like a mess of AI slop

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
In the demo, when you lock on to a body part there’s a bar that fills towards the bottom of the target. When it’s full you can link attack. Each body part has its own meter, but after you link attack it once it takes some time to reset before you can do it again.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

S.J. posted:

Downloading the demo right now. Sad to hear there won't be cross play but I'll be getting it on steam unless there's some major performance problems.

I'll probably be buying it on Steam too, despite not getting the codes for Vanilla Granblue, a bullshit thing that they did for the OG Versus and Versus Rising and have given no articulable answer for.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Neito posted:

I'll probably be buying it on Steam too, despite not getting the codes for Vanilla Granblue, a bullshit thing that they did for the OG Versus and Versus Rising and have given no articulable answer for.

Actually now that I found out about this I'm kind of pissed because I really want that poo poo for the mobile game. God damnit. I assume it's so people don't immediatley refund the steam purchase after getting the code but gently caress if I kow.

Countblanc posted:

i was watching some footage and I can't really figure out what triggers Link Attacks, it seems to just pop up randomly as an opportunity for the player to press O. what causes it to activate?

Filling the blue stagger bar that appears on an enemy will give you link attack chances. It can be kind of easy to miss in a big fight tho it seems.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

S.J. posted:

Actually now that I found out about this I'm kind of pissed because I really want that poo poo for the mobile game. God damnit. I assume it's so people don't immediatley refund the steam purchase after getting the code but gently caress if I kow.

The discord server has a few theories. It's either that, Sony has an exclusivity contract, or Steam won't let games give promos for non-Steam games.

The Lucilius DLC dropping today allowing PS4/5 owners to get their new trancended Dark Opus weeks before anyone else is especially annoying, but it's a gacha game, I should expect bullshit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vitamean posted:

holy moly that site looks like a mess of AI slop

Ooh yeah it took me a moment to realize that is a Fextralife page. Yeah they use ChatGPT for everything. It's best not to get your information about games from them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah fextralife is awful.

Neito posted:

The discord server has a few theories. It's either that, Sony has an exclusivity contract, or Steam won't let games give promos for non-Steam games.

The Lucilius DLC dropping today allowing PS4/5 owners to get their new trancended Dark Opus weeks before anyone else is especially annoying, but it's a gacha game, I should expect bullshit.

I would just infinitely rather have this on my PC for matchmaking purposes, and anyone I know who gets it will probably get it on steam also. Bleh.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Yikes sorry about the Fextralife wiki. I'll edit that out. Had no clue they were a bad source of info.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I guess so that my only post in the thread isn't making GBS threads on something, I've been looking forward to the game for years. Gave the demo a runthrough this past weekend and immediately took a liking to Lancelot, Yoda, and Io, so I'll prob stick with those three alongside any of the other characters not playable in the demo that feel good. Definitely like how varied the playstyles of each character are, even if there's some like Zeta that I cannot grasp, but maybe some time on a training dummy instead of on the rock gator will let me figure them out.

Still waffling on either PC or PS5 - don't really play the mobile game anymore, so I could take or leave the codes, but I doooo wanna play it in the early access window that PS has going.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Vitamean posted:

I guess so that my only post in the thread isn't making GBS threads on something, I've been looking forward to the game for years. Gave the demo a runthrough this past weekend and immediately took a liking to Lancelot, Yoda, and Io, so I'll prob stick with those three alongside any of the other characters not playable in the demo that feel good. Definitely like how varied the playstyles of each character are, even if there's some like Zeta that I cannot grasp, but maybe some time on a training dummy instead of on the rock gator will let me figure them out.

Still waffling on either PC or PS5 - don't really play the mobile game anymore, so I could take or leave the codes, but I doooo wanna play it in the early access window that PS has going.

If you don't care either way, the codes sell for a Chunk of change on eBay.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Is it known how modable this game will be? I had a generally better time with modded mon hun than without so if this game can be modded then I'd probably rather get it on pc. If there's no way mods would work with multiplayer then I'd rather do ps5 I think. To be clear, I am specifically thinking of the increase drop chance 8x mod for rise, I assume cosmetic mods will work no matter what.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Failboattootoot posted:

Is it known how modable this game will be? I had a generally better time with modded mon hun than without so if this game can be modded then I'd probably rather get it on pc. If there's no way mods would work with multiplayer then I'd rather do ps5 I think. To be clear, I am specifically thinking of the increase drop chance 8x mod for rise, I assume cosmetic mods will work no matter what.
The demo was Playstation only so nobody really knows. I'm sure cheat engine will work fine though.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Given the general reluctance to allow modding, combined with the multiplayer, my assumption is that there will be some sort of anti-cheat.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Wish they would say more about pc performance. Capped at 60? Who knows.

Also the multiplayer just random matchmaking or friend invites? I was hoping for some kind of lobby where I just gave out the lobby code and friends could join and we didn’t have to mess around with ps level friend invites

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In the console beta you invited people into a town lobby thing and then queued up together. It definitely didn't seem like MHW's larger lobbies where you could bounce between missions.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
If you are new to this whole Granblue Fantasy universe. You can watch the first few episodes of the anime here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL36BW5zRfQ8QvWZvQHHvFJVRbJWOZfQdZ

It should give you the general gist of most of the main cast.

Or if you if you just want the TLDR version. You, your mysterious waifu, and your equally mysterious mascot pal, join up with a band of misfits and sail the skies in search of the world greatest deadbeat dad, yours. Along the way you encounter all sorts of trouble, up to and including; Monsters, Dragons, Fish, Slimes, Yanderes, Gorillas, Evil Empires, Coffee Loving Archangels, T. Rexes, Hedonistic Fallen Angels, Omnicidal Aliens, Fried Shrimp, Gods of various degrees, etc.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 27, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Countblanc posted:

In the console beta you invited people into a town lobby thing and then queued up together. It definitely didn't seem like MHW's larger lobbies where you could bounce between missions.

To add a bit to this, in the full game there's also an option to get sent to a random mission out of those available, and the first time you run it each day you'll get an item that increases drop rates in your next quest on use.

e: adding more that I discovered after finishing the game, in case someone else stumbles upon this post:

Vitamean posted:

Quick Quest sends you out to a random quest out of those you have available. Online it'll let you join someone else's quest, and offline it'll just pick a random one out of your stock. Whether you do it online or offline, you're strength will get scaled down appropriately for the quest.

Once per day you can nab a gold badge ticket for free, and every three Quick Quests you do gets you one infinitely. These are used automatically the next time you run Quick Quest online, up to three at once, and get you one gold dalia badge per. These can be exchanged for different growth materials, one crewmate card, and something called Ambrosia which I assume is Very Good because there's one in the shop that restocks weekly and costs 30 of the drat things.

Quick Quest results can vary depending on the time of day. I tried it this morning and was able to reliably get matches with players from Japan, but last night it was completely dead, and right now it's hit or miss. I know part of this is because people are still going through the main story, but I do think it's a bit hard on matchmaking to require four people in an open quest to run it. We'll see how it goes as more people get online... it's definitely gotten better in the past day.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 3, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Vitamean posted:

To add a bit to this, in the full game there's also an option to get sent to a random mission out of those available, and the first time you run it each day you'll get an item that increases drop rates in your next quest on use.

This is the way I like to play Monster Hunter, so I hope this game ends up being good on PC. The gameplay looks sick from what I've seen on streams.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

exact release time for the PC download just dropped

gb: relink twitter posted:

Physical Editions for PS5®/PS4® will be available to purchase starting Feb 1.

For PC players, the Steam Digital Editions will be available for download starting 9 p.m., Jan 31 (PT).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vitamean posted:

we love mentor roulette here

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

well, I was trying to avoid using some particular phrasing, but i guess.....

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
For anyone who got the game on Playstation, it looks like the preload is going to start at midnight tonight in your time zone. The size will be 52gb

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I can't wait but I'm gonna wait at least a few hours to see if there's any horrendous PC issues.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
I ordered a boxed copy for PS5, but I'm guessing the early access is digital only, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Yeah, only PSN gets early access unfortunately.