Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't remember that specific guy, but B5 was chock full of what I like to call '1994 JC Penney catalog' fashion; especially the first half of the series. I thought it was nostalgic in a weird sort of way.

There's a bunch of little touches on the costume design that give it a weird "retro-future-retro" feel now, like any time you see a civilian in a suit, the jacket has no lapels and the shirt's been given a Nehru collar, but it's the famous '90s boxy suit cut that hasn't been in style in real life for a couple decades now

You can tell a lot of human costumes were stuff grabbed off the rack from Mervyn's and given a few future tweaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sinclair is such a cool guy. Dressing up and taking Talia to a fancy restaurant but not a hint of him treating this as a date or showing romantic interest. Just being supportive of someone who did a good job.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Watched that recently and I think it's the same guy who's on the quest for the Holy Grail in a later episode. But yeah I had the same thought when I saw wraparound shades guy. I recently played through Planescape Torment and it seems to have made me more sensitive to the sheer 90's-ness of B5.

David Warner, who also did Irenicus in Baldur's Gate 2, the Cardassian interrogating Picard in TNG, the reporter in the Omen, the Federation Ambassador in Star Trek V, Chancellor Gorkon in Star Trek 6, Dr. Wrenn in In The Mouth of Madness....

I always enjoyed his work.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Trakis was played by Clive Revill, who has also appeared in tons of things evidently. Including doing voice work for everything from the Snorks to Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gyrotica posted:

David Warner, who also did Irenicus in Baldur's Gate 2, the Cardassian interrogating Picard in TNG, the reporter in the Omen, the Federation Ambassador in Star Trek V, Chancellor Gorkon in Star Trek 6, Dr. Wrenn in In The Mouth of Madness....

I remember him better for his work on cartoons: Alpha in Men in Black, Ra's Al Ghul in Batman, the Lobe in Freakazoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CWkC93rRSw

The man brought his everything into every role. Rest in peace.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gyrotica posted:

Also played the baddie in Tron, along with Bruce Boxleitner & Peter Jurasik.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Oh no the Babylon 5 thread is on the first thread.

Ahem.

[Londoishly] Who died?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Communist Bear posted:

Oh no the Babylon 5 thread is on the first thread.

Ahem.

[Londoishly] Who died?

Is there anybody left? Sheridan... Bester... Ivonova... maybe Talia, Marcus, and Lita? Maybe that pilot from season 2 nobody remembers until they are watching an episode he's in?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is there anybody left? Sheridan... Bester... Ivonova... maybe Talia, Marcus, and Lita? Maybe that pilot from season 2 nobody remembers until they are watching an episode he's in?

It's Bill Mumy's 70th birthday today.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jedit posted:

It's Bill Mumy's 70th birthday today.

I thought he died like five years ago

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I don't remember that specific guy, but B5 was chock full of what I like to call '1994 JC Penney catalog' fashion; especially the first half of the series. I thought it was nostalgic in a weird sort of way.

That's a good label for it. I really like that even if they were being fairly low-budget about it, the show had a definite and distinct look for its future that, even though the particular setup seems unlikely, was something people might wear. Even though at the time the extreme 90s-ness of it was not quite as obvious.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

33 is a great first episode but if you are already hooked by the pilot then there is no downside. :)

The pilot (mini-series as its also sometimes called) was great too, but yeah 33 is amazing. I'm so upset still that Star Wars the Last Jedi didn't just rip off that episode. That is basically what one of plot points of that movie was going for, but got it completely wrong.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Jurasik is still going.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm glad to hear more people are alive than I thought

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jedit posted:

Midnight on the Firing Line is what is sometimes called a second pilot.

No it's not, because a pilot episode is not necessarily the first loving episode of a series, it's an episode that is produced prior to series production to convince executives to pick up the show. Midnight On The Firing Line wasn't even the first episode produced of the first season, Infection was the first episode produced!

:argh:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
To return to the BSG example, 33 was not a "second pilot"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

and by extension i'm also glad, somewhat morbidly, that we're finally reaching a point in time that when the next person leaves us, they will not be dying unusually young

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Plotac 75 posted:

Trakis was played by Clive Revill, who has also appeared in tons of things evidently. Including doing voice work for everything from the Snorks to Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

"Vector" the evil wizard in the short lived Wizards and Warriors (starring Jeff Conaway!), original voice of the Emperor in Empire Strikes Back, and the villain in the last Columbo episode aired before it went off the air the first time.

Also, the original voice of Alfred in Batman: The Animated Series, replaced by Efram Zimbalist, Jr.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Who then went on to run Edgars Industries. Good God what a small world it be.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like pilots are probably more interesting once you already know the show, so that you get to see the show in its earlier form at its more raw and vulnerable. You get to see things before they're unfinished, often when there's a couple crucial decisions that have yet to be made. Important characters who haven't been cast yet, maybe the entire cast is was shuffled around like with Star Trek's The Cage. Voyager had a whole thing made before Kate Mulgrew was cast as Janeway, Maybe the overall format of the show hadn't been settled yet. Over the Garden Wall's pilot had a remnant of the original Tome of the Unknown framing device. Cartoons often have even more big aesthetic decisions being made, like Rebecca Sugar's style is a lot more raw in the Steven Universe pilot. And then there's something like Inspector Gadget had a mustache and Johnny Bravo had black hair.

If you wanted to assemble a sampler platter for shows, I'd go with something like midway through the beginning of the first season. First episodes are often caught up in being introductions, but if you want just a sample you shouldn't worry about understanding everything, you want a vibe, like if you catch an episode offhand on TV.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Babylon 5: I'm glad to hear more people are alive than I thought

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Communist Bear posted:

Jurasik is still going.

If that reboot happens, I'm going to be angry if Boxleitner and Jurasik don't show up in some form.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Small White Dragon posted:

If that reboot happens, I'm going to be angry if Boxleitner and Jurasik don't show up in some form.

Studies are done flushing as much money as they can into a streaming pit, that's probably going to kill any b5 revival in the crib.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Good rarely comes from rebooting a franchise. I hope B5 doesn't get its reboot because you really can't recreate that '90s futuristic' vibe.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Counterpoint: BSG. Any attempt to remake the original would be silly. If the show runner has a good vision for doing something that reinterpreted the original in a new context, it might be amazing. Of course, it could also suck.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A reinterpretation would be the best course, but I dont think the right people at Warner Brothers exist to make it happen.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I still maintain we were going to get the reboot universe as the last alternate in the cartoon, the one where the Icaraus never went to Z'Ha'Dum and the shadows haven't woken up yet. Plenty of room for alternative development and the viewers knowing more than the characters do about what's out in the deep would be a neat narrative device.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I'm not really sure what a reboot or reinterpretation would do, Babylon 5 completely told its story with a lot of really solid characters and distinct worldbuilding. It pioneered being an arc-focused show instead of episodic, and pushed against a bunch of tropes common in SF (especially Star Trek) at the time, and it has that 1994 JC Penny catalog in space look and feel. Arc-focused shows are commonplace now, and a reboot would completely lose the element of surprise (there's no chance for 'this Kosh guy... actually doesn't seem like a good guy' realization or 'why did Delenn's head glow around that "What do you want?" dork'). It would be hard to do the look without either just mocking the original or coming off cheesy. Without any of the distinct things that make B5 great, I don't see it's own path to being a great show.

I'm also kind of skeptical of JMS doing another show - he did make B5, but he also made the Legends of The Rangers pilot, and I worry that a reboot/revisit/reinterpretation would fall way more into 'fight ships with 3d kung fu' than 'story so good people worry about spoilers three decades after it aired'. B5 feels much more like a singular achievement than part of a pattern of really amazing shows/comics/books/etc to me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

a reboot would completely lose the element of surprise (there's no chance for 'this Kosh guy... actually doesn't seem like a good guy' realization or 'why did Delenn's head glow around that "What do you want?" dork'). It would be hard to do the look without either just mocking the original or coming off cheesy. Without any of the distinct things that make B5 great, I don't see it's own path to being a great show.

The trend these days is to "reboot" or "reinterpret" a series by overexplaining every slightly mysterious detail in that series' history. Star Trek is an obvious example with Section 31 but Star Wars has probably fallen victim to it with stuff like the Solo movie. I would prefer to savor remaining mysteries of the B5 universe rather than have them boringly and mechanically explained like I'm an idiot.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 3, 2024

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The trend these days is to "reboot" or "reinterpret" a series by overexplaining every slightly mysterious detail in that series' history. Star Trek is an obvious example with Section 31 but Star Wars has probably fallen victim to it with stuff like the Solo movie.

Star Wars fell victim to it before the release of The Phantom Menace, even

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I still maintain we were going to get the reboot universe as the last alternate in the cartoon, the one where the Icaraus never went to Z'Ha'Dum and the shadows haven't woken up yet. Plenty of room for alternative development and the viewers knowing more than the characters do about what's out in the deep would be a neat narrative device.

Eye-kee-raus? Really?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The first appeal is just having more. That's a common thing. Adding onto the end can be awkward, easier to start over. But if you start over then a lot of the twists won't be twists anymore, so you'd kinda have to do a skewed retelling to make it as fun.

I think as with most things, it'd be better if somebody could just do a new IP from scratch that just hits on similar themes instead of having to do some kind of elaborate necromancy, but then you wouldn't get the franchise boost and the immediate access to an interested audience, that can be risky, but it's even riskier to make that pitch to execs in an age when big huge franchises throwing their weight around is everything.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What about a reboot that takes place during some time in the season 4 finale when humanity has been confined to Earth for a long time by the rangers and just now getting back out into space again. Meeting humans who are already out there and have been for centuries, meeting the major galactic players again for the first time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JMS has said it would be a complete reinterpretation. He also said that the cartoon alternate universe is different, but if they get to do more animated stuff he'd like to set it there.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Need to do the Dilgar War; Franklin & Garibaldi both had dads who fought in it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do a West Wing type show following president Clark as an extremely dark comedy

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Do a West Wing type show following president Clark as an extremely dark comedy

So, Space Veep?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
A B5 reboot feels weird because B5 is the specific story, not the setting.

Reboots seem like a potentially good idea when the thing being rebooted is a setting where the stories take place or a very strong core story concept.

Babylon 5 isn't a particularly interesting setting on its own, and if you try to break down the core story concept it's not a thing you can describe in a handful of sentences and then take in a different direction.

For it to be Babylon 5 it needs to hit a bunch of the story beats, and if you're doing that then there's no value in a reboot?

Spin offs, sequels or other stories in the universe might be fun, but I can't personally see how you do the reboot.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, the setting is a eon spanning galactic war between fundamental philosophical differences. To say it's not interesting seems weird.

Just because it has very strong characters doesn't mean the setting they're in isn't interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

T.C. posted:

A B5 reboot feels weird because B5 is the specific story, not the setting.

Reboots seem like a potentially good idea when the thing being rebooted is a setting where the stories take place or a very strong core story concept.

Babylon 5 isn't a particularly interesting setting on its own, and if you try to break down the core story concept it's not a thing you can describe in a handful of sentences and then take in a different direction.

For it to be Babylon 5 it needs to hit a bunch of the story beats, and if you're doing that then there's no value in a reboot?

Spin offs, sequels or other stories in the universe might be fun, but I can't personally see how you do the reboot.

So I think there is value to a remake some stuff like "Ivonova and Talia have a romantic relationship" which could barely be hinted at and never confirmed in the 90s but now could be openly done. They could make a version that is less overwhelmingly white.
They could explore stories they had to abandon due to actors leaving.

There are a lot of things they could do to retell the story in an interesting way for an audience born after it originally finished that could be more modern and relatable.