Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Seymour Buttz posted:

More games need to accept mouse input for aiming and controller input for everything else at the same time. On the rare occasion this works, the Steam Deck is my dream device with forced gyro aiming and native controller support. Even when the on-screen indicators switch back and forth between KB and XABY, as long as the controls are responsive it’s the best.

When it doesn’t work the game im playing becomes “how can I remap all the buttons as keyboard inputs and will I be able to remember what anything does when the game asks me to press the Q key”

Not steam deck specific, but it drives me bonkers that Baldur's Gate 3 pauses for a few seconds when you swap from controller to M/KB. I like to move with my controller but do combat and explore with the mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Cyrano4747 posted:

Silly question, but are you sure you're outputting at the deck's resolution? Trying to get the deck to push even 1080p would be an easy way to drop the performance pretty noticeably.

Yeah, I’ve tried setting the deck to output at its native res (1280x800) and 720p (1280x720) when docked and no dice. It’s particularly frustrating because it used to work perfectly fine with no futzing on my part.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Man BG3 graphics aren't nearly as good as people say they are

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1752356954654101577?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

The most notable changes are the ability to adjust EXP from enemies and as well as being able to change to a good font without the need to mod it in.

Even at the max multiplier I still feel like job points in FF5 are way too slow. I honestly have no idea how it doesn't bother most people.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey

now is a a great loving time to play ff7 (1997) again. both of these mods came out little over a week ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yilGhooepOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk6of_Ey6Cc

Played with these mods on my deck before bed last night :eyepop:

Don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat but that looks bad.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Medullah posted:

Man BG3 graphics aren't nearly as good as people say they are

looks fine to me

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Even at the max multiplier I still feel like job points in FF5 are way too slow. I honestly have no idea how it doesn't bother most people.

You're supposed to basically pick 1-2 jobs, not swap them out a lot. A lot of jobs are also "done" very early and they don't really learn additional poo poo worth using. Picking jobs to master in order to juice your freelancer stats isn't as commonly done as you'd think.

For example, Blue Mage -- the best job in the game -- is perfect and complete as it is. If you want a simple, powerful melee user you could just master Warrior, and switch to Freelancer with doublehand and blue magic and use Goblin Punch from the backrow the entire game. That's over-optimized, because Warrior with doublehand is already incredibly powerful. Between that, a white mage, a summoner, and whatever else you want, you can easily beat the game without grinding for a second. Most people will gravitate towards that comp anyways.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 1, 2024

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Vic posted:

Yeah. those upscaled backgrounds look insane. The outpainting came out reasonably well, but the whole smeary mess looks bad anyway.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Lmao I loving ground out DualCast in FF5 GBA and it suuuucked.

Even mass killing the Living Art in that castle basement with Level 5 Death it took forever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jokes posted:

You're supposed to basically pick 1-2 jobs, not swap them out a lot. A lot of jobs are also "done" very early and they don't really learn additional poo poo worth using. Picking jobs to master in order to juice your freelancer stats isn't as commonly done as you'd think.

For example, Blue Mage -- the best job in the game -- is perfect and complete as it is. If you want a simple, powerful melee user you could just master Warrior, and switch to Freelancer with doublehand and blue magic and use Goblin Punch from the backrow the entire game. That's over-optimized, because Warrior with doublehand is already incredibly powerful. Between that, a white mage, a summoner, and whatever else you want, you can easily beat the game without grinding for a second. Most people will gravitate towards that comp anyways.

I maxed out every job on every character lol

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Yeah. those upscaled backgrounds look insane. The outpainting came out reasonably well, but the whole smeary mess looks bad anyway.

The first video with all the outpainting reveals is funny to me because theyre all like wowww there’s a bit more sand over here, or look, the walls keep going a bit more. Like the whole reason people were really into widescreen/letterbox DVDs and stuff (and the first waves of widescreen TVs) was to not LOSE any of the original material on screen by cropping to fit your screen’s aspect ratio. Adding onto the backgrounds of something originally designed to be 4:3 actually kind of betrays the source material and what the artist had in mind as far as the framing and structure of all the scenes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

jokes posted:

Sorry, Red Mage is the best job: style>skills any day.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah I didn't like that FF7 mod at all. Was it just me or did the character models look off too?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Shard posted:

Yeah I didn't like that FF7 mod at all. Was it just me or did the character models look off too?

Yeah, the videos are using some other mod for the characters called Ninostyle. Pretty weird lookin'.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I maxed out every job on every character lol

yikes, why would you do that? ff5 is piss easy

Annath posted:

Sorry, Red Mage is the best job: style>skills any day.

Red Mage is for indecisive people worried about making the wrong decision, so they make no decision at all. Blue mage is for people with the confidence to embrace chaos

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

If I leave this thing plugged in all the time, will that mess up the battery for the few occasions where I'm playing away from an outlet?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

If I leave this thing plugged in all the time, will that mess up the battery for the few occasions where I'm playing away from an outlet?

I’m sure someone will come to correct me or affirm me with smart words, but I’m pretty sure that’s not really a thing with modern batteries.

I play beefy modern AAA titles plugged in pretty much exclusively and it hasn’t seemed to harm my overall battery life.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
It can be a thing but the Deck tries to avoid any issues. Once it charges to 100% the Deck operates off pass-through power from the USB charger and typically doesn't try to top the battery off until it's reached 90% or less through self-discharge.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Vic posted:

It's a bummer I'm the only one that likes these but giant disagree to the rest of you here- on the little steam deck screen these mods looks incredible and I'll take that over the original blurry backgrounds. On the upside FF7 has lots and lots of mods so you can play with as few or as many of them as you'd like.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

beep by grandpa posted:

It's a bummer I'm the only one that likes these but giant disagree to the rest of you here- on the little steam deck screen these mods looks incredible and I'll take that over the original blurry backgrounds. On the upside FF7 has lots and lots of mods so you can play with as few or as many of them as you'd like.

Look at this train

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vic posted:

Look at this train

Heat shimmer!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this train are sick

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve seen better work from this lovely unblurry filter ZNES and other old emulators had. drat that’s just rough.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

abraham linksys posted:

this train are sick

Yes, it needs hospice care.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Vic posted:

Look at this train

I’m a trained engineer - this isn’t cute, trains only do this when they are in distress

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that is a normal train. move on, find a new slant

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Be nice to the train it was suplexed in the last game

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember how big a deal the Hell House was in FF7R. Imagine how they’d play up the train suplex in a hypothetical FF6R.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

this train are sick

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Medullah posted:

I've been watching FFIV pixel remaster and when it was on sale I jumped on it.

Unfortunately I was also watching the pixel remaster bundle and wasn't paying attention...sooo I've got them all.

I've been playing through VI and will then go through IV. Those games on SNES taught me the English language. How is V?

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

What are the new official font options with this Pixel Remaster update?

I modded my Pixel Remaster fonts before the update and I'm wondering if I should do it again

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Animal posted:

I've been playing through VI and will then go through IV. Those games on SNES taught me the English language. How is V?

5 is my favorite Final Fantasy, which isn't the most popular opinion but w/e.

But it's generally considered fun. Probably the goofiest of the first 6 games.

Also:

Spoiler for all the Final Fantasy games, kind of?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

eggrolled posted:

What are the new official font options with this Pixel Remaster update?

I modded my Pixel Remaster fonts before the update and I'm wondering if I should do it again

It's the same "classic" one used in the console versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHsc9-JAot0

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's the same "classic" one used in the console versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHsc9-JAot0

Thanks! I'm glad they didn't just put Arial or Verdana etc up in there again or something. It looks much better but i still might mod the fonts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

About every 6 months I check in on the state of Windows on the steam deck.

Is it good/worth it yet?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nope

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Never gonna be unless you’re docking the thing

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Tempura Wizard posted:

Yeah, I’ve tried setting the deck to output at its native res (1280x800) and 720p (1280x720) when docked and no dice. It’s particularly frustrating because it used to work perfectly fine with no futzing on my part.

Okay so I’ve discovered a work-around, putting it here for posterity: launch the game in question in undocked mode, then dock it. You can even quit out of it and go to other games that have the same issue and they perform fine.

Yeah, I have no clue either, but I guess I should have tried this earlier.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Did you set the resolution of the games themselves in their launch options? Pretty sure every game gets its own separate toggle for res when docked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Did you set the resolution of the games themselves in their launch options? Pretty sure every game gets its own separate toggle for res when docked.

I did not! Good lookin’ out. I’ll have to give that a shot. I messed with the general settings for docked but not each game. Balatro and Talos Principle 2 have run fine, for example, but SF6 and TVRUHH have not.