Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mycomancy posted:

I'm convinced nationally legal cannabis will never happen. I don't know why nor can I offer any explanation, this is just a thing I feel to be factual.

seems pretty likely it'll be legalized eventually. mostly because there's a growing weed lobby capable of bribing congress or the president, either of which have the power to legalize weed. plus there's a huge market that's ready for giant lovely companies to exploit and there's only 12 states that don't have some kinda legal weed right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nationally Legal Cannabis will happen, and it will happen in such a way that it's not really legal. The industry will be dominated by a few big companies, and the companies that aren't big will be run by trust fund kids touting their business as "local" to whatever area it's operating in. Employers will still have the right to drug test you and not hire or fire you based on cannabis use. You'll be able to smoke weed on your front porch without getting arrested, assuming you own your house.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gripweed posted:

It did occur to me recently that if anyone in government was smart or gave a poo poo, they would have gotten involved with the SAG strike on the side of the actors. Cultural Capital is one thing we still have going strong, and, properly managed, could keep going for decades. If the US film industry goes all in on AI-generated content, that’s is a genuine threat to America's standing in the world. If anybody with a decent computer can AI generate an Ant-Man 5 that’s the same quality as the one Disney generated, what’s the point of Hollywood?

That would be a form of long planning, which is communism.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Gripweed posted:

It did occur to me recently that if anyone in government was smart or gave a poo poo,

Let me stop you right there

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i believe they will settle on a compromise where weed is legalized but the cops still get to harass you for possessing it

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I find the idea of the federal government doing anything the pharmaceutical or prison industries don’t want to be very unlikely. But once we have The Collapse and following The Chaos a new napoleon rises, yeah that will be a day 1 easy win for them to shore up support

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Best Friends posted:

I find the idea of the federal government doing anything the pharmaceutical or prison industries don’t want to be very unlikely. But once we have The Collapse and following The Chaos a new napoleon rises, yeah that will be a day 1 easy win for them to shore up support

awesome humongous has a good cannibas policy but I need to hear more about immortan joe's family leave policy before I decide for whom to declare my warband

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm still writing in Kodos.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mycomancy posted:

I'm convinced nationally legal cannabis will never happen. I don't know why nor can I offer any explanation, this is just a thing I feel to be factual.

Keeping it quasi legal lets states setup cartels of locally connected investors. Nobody wants to mess with the winning formula.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Nothus posted:

Keeping it quasi legal lets states setup cartels of locally connected investors. Nobody wants to mess with the winning formula.

eh, idk. why wouldn't California weed companies wanna sell to 290 million other people? doesn't make sense. it wouldn't be too surprising if it was deployed as an october surprise either. plus pharmaceutical companies could also easily process weed products using existing infrastructure.

Hatebag has issued a correction as of 21:42 on Feb 1, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm no businessperson, but my guess is "Because opening that market would put them in direct competition with Wal-Mart weed."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hatebag posted:

eh, idk. why wouldn't California weed companies wanna sell to 290 million other people? doesn't make sense. it wouldn't be too surprising if it was deployed as an october surprise either. plus pharmaceutical companies could also easily process weed products using existing infrastructure.

Absolutely no way that Biden announces federal descheduling as a campaign stunt. The cops absolutely hate it and Biden’s team thinks they can win by being more pro-cop that Trump (since Trump said he doesn’t like the FBI).

But I wouldn’t be shocked to see another bullshit commission or executive order so that people can say Biden legalized weed while doing nothing of the sort.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If his numbers keep sagging, they might try it out of desperation. Of course it will be worded in a way that looks good at first glance but doesnt actually change anything.

Cerebral Bore posted:

i believe they will settle on a compromise where weed is legalized but the cops still get to harass you for possessing it

This too

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm no businessperson, but my guess is "Because opening that market would put them in direct competition with Wal-Mart weed."

well then wal-mart would also wanna get into the weed biz and they would bribe/lobby elected officials to do that.

Trabisnikof posted:

Absolutely no way that Biden announces federal descheduling as a campaign stunt. The cops absolutely hate it and Biden’s team thinks they can win by being more pro-cop that Trump (since Trump said he doesn’t like the FBI).

But I wouldn’t be shocked to see another bullshit commission or executive order so that people can say Biden legalized weed while doing nothing of the sort.

yeah i don't think biden will do it. he's probably too out of it to know how hosed he is and also a huge racist that presumably likes how many minorities get jailed for weed. but i think it's just a matter of time until the weed companies have enough bribe money and one of the parties is desperate enough to do it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Justin Tyme posted:

You can go look at some Chinese city you've never even heard of in Google maps and it looks more impressive than any city in the US, it's insane to think the US is better than China at anything and if we are they're only 5-10 years behind catching up.

they already surpassed us, this is just the decade we realize its happened

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Weed is so cheap and easy for anyone to grow that state regulated monopolies and quasi criminalization are the only way that "the right sort of people" can control the supply and thus profits.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

BULBASAUR posted:

they already surpassed us, this is just the decade we realize its happened

Except in marijuana, it's still super duper illegal there instead of quasi - legal

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Owlbear Camus posted:

federal decriminalization is my only hope; the dairy state is in the grip of the TAVERN LEAGUE who think as long as the devil's lettuce is verboten we will turn to the bottle

sad but true, but there are murmurs of medical legalization, which seems to always end up becoming full legalization after it becomes obvious that that's unenforceable

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Speleothing posted:

Except in marijuana, it's still super duper illegal there instead of quasi - legal

so its still cool in China? seems like a plus ngl

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Hatebag posted:

yeah i don't think biden will do it. he's probably too out of it to know how hosed he is and also a huge racist that presumably likes how many minorities get jailed for weed. but i think it's just a matter of time until the weed companies have enough bribe money and one of the parties is desperate enough to do it.
Biden wouldn't want his sons growing up in a racial jungle of marijuana.

Griz
May 21, 2001

if the feds ever actually legalize it they'll probably tack on another 30% tax which will drive everyone back to black market

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Don't really need weed so much when you have a functioning government.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Griz posted:

if the feds ever actually legalize it they'll probably tack on another 30% tax which will drive everyone back to black market

they'll legalize at the fed level when we're spiraling hard bad they need the extra tax revenue

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
All decrim will be like when Caracalla extended citizenship: it will only happen because non-citizens don't pay taxes

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

ace combat loads 88 missiles and a minigun cannon on an F35

Back on the N64 I played a game called "air assault". The Japanese pilot f14 fired homing missiles in the shape of giant shuriken.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the us will lose weed war 3

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Back on the N64 I played a game called "air assault". The Japanese pilot f14 fired homing missiles in the shape of giant shuriken.

There was another arcade bullet hell game that did this. The Japanese fighter shot kunais and then upgraded to shurikens once you picked up power ups

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

area 88/un squadron on snses was the goated bullet hell aircraft game. you were a mercenary pilot could buy different then-contemporary airframes to do bullet hell and the a-10 had both a forward and a 45 degree downward fire as a nod to its real life role

one of the bosses was a big treaded land carrier. poo poo was dope

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

area 88/un squadron on snses was the goated bullet hell aircraft game. you were a mercenary pilot could buy different then-contemporary airframes to do bullet hell and the a-10 had both a forward and a 45 degree downward fire as a nod to its real life role

un squadron kicks rear end. possibly not entirely realistic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
give the UNRWA A-10s and FA-18s

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nothus posted:

If his numbers keep sagging, they might try it out of desperation. Of course it will be worded in a way that looks good at first glance but doesnt actually change anything.

If you're a pell grant recipient who has run a new business in a disadvantaged area for four years you can smoke one weed. Not in the disadvantaged area, though, it's too confusing to the cops policing it.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/MikePrysner/status/1753134946712228301

USA can't even foreign legion right.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

whenever I see poo poo like this I'm reminded that verhovens over the top fascist sci fi satire took for granted "service garuntees citizenship" would at least be honored

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Feb 2, 2024

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Owlbear Camus posted:

whenever I see poo poo like this I'm reminded that verhovens over the top fascist sci fi satire took for granted "service garuntees citizenshop" would at least be honored

also they lose a battle and the military leadership takes responsibility and resigns.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The lesson of this, and Afghan army, and the Kurds, and the burned NOC list: Don’t take the American plata, they’re not good for it and will gently caress you over just because

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Imo best western bullet hell flying game: raptor

Best Japanese: Raiden 2

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

also they lose a battle and the military leadership takes responsibility and resigns.

Bear in mind Verhoeven had a vision of trying to show fascism that actually worked, unlike real life. It was a propaganda movie and in propaganda movies you have to show the system working like people imagine it to. Kinda like cop shows work irl.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Bear in mind Verhoeven had a vision of trying to show fascism that actually worked, unlike real life. It was a propaganda movie and in propaganda movies you have to show the system working like people imagine it to. Kinda like cop shows work irl.

The book was just pro-fascism tho

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

It's like the ICE guy that turned out to be undocumented and got deported to Mexico (?).

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

skooma512 posted:

The lesson of this, and Afghan army, and the Kurds, and the burned NOC list: Don’t take the American plata, they’re not good for it and will gently caress you over just because

"Lol" said the scorpion to the frog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

For non-immigrants they usually let 2 or 3 of those slide before leadership feels like they need to discharge you.

Probably fair since there's less incentive to not do it at all.