Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I'm loving tekken 8 so far, it's very fun but god drat is learning new matchups exhausting. As someone coming from 2d fighters it's like everyone has like a bunch of rekkas that naturally frametrap and blow you up on counterhit, I need to start playing way slower in these low ranks because I try to press assuming they're not going to finish the string and leave themselves super minus, but no they finish the string every time because it keeps working on me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I'm loving tekken 8 so far, it's very fun but god drat is learning new matchups exhausting. As someone coming from 2d fighters it's like everyone has like a bunch of rekkas that naturally frametrap and blow you up on counterhit, I need to start playing way slower in these low ranks because I try to press assuming they're not going to finish the string and leave themselves super minus, but no they finish the string every time because it keeps working on me!

There's two types of new players I think. Players who just push every single button, and players who have discovered a "cheap" move and just go to that plus one other as their mixup

I played vs a law last night that actually took a game off me because he just constantly either did the snake edge thing or one of law's mids and while I blocked the snake edge multiple times I kept dropping my punish so the trades weren't in my favor (plus I pushed buttons into counterhit strings occasionally). It was satisfying to double perfect him in the third game though when I actually hit the launch and combo into the wall every time I blocked it! Sadly I was like 4 ranks higher than him at that point so I got like, basically zero points for the win. But the punish was it's own reward

It's actually a pretty funny mix of players in ranked because I'll run into completely new people, and then someone who clearly played a lot of T7 and absolutely destroys me.

I really want to learn a legacy character in T8 though. Since Uni 2 is mega busted still I think I'll just skip any practice there tonight and maybe play some Asuka, Lili and Xiaoyu and see if any of them click for me. It'd be really nice to have a character that I can play between Tekken versions years down the road

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PhiXD with a very specific video on how to counter King's throws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6RPMSEaFg

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

spiritual bypass posted:

Help I can't do a custom character without putting an eye patch on them

Working as intended

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Playing as paul is super exhausting.
Everybody juggles me all round for 10x longer than it takes me to stand up and kill them instantly so it feels like i barely get to play.
I think i hit wall until my timing and defense get better and i learn matchups and figure out what i need to actually respect.

Maybe i'll try a different character.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Pretty awful fighting game player here but a huge fan of the FGC in general. I like to play all the big name fighting games so I at least have a basic understanding of them so I’m not completely lost watching Justin Wong on YouTube and everyone at EVO every year. Kinda wishing arcade quest was more like World Tour from sf6 because the mechanics in this game are way harder for me to understand. Is there any guide for someone so used to SF6 to check out to not be absolutely terrible at Tekken 8? I’m doing pretty okay at the low ranks but all the people I’ve faced just throw out the most punishable poo poo imaginable and I know it won’t be like that for long.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
This is for Tekken 7, but I find this playlist to be really good for that kind of study:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL28IncCLd2gC2KqX9ADcuzk-iV4aLUxyG

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Playing as paul is super exhausting.
Everybody juggles me all round for 10x longer than it takes me to stand up and kill them instantly so it feels like i barely get to play.
I think i hit wall until my timing and defense get better and i learn matchups and figure out what i need to actually respect.

Maybe i'll try a different character.

I use Paul as well and would like to try someone different.

Who is the opposite of Paul? I was thinking Asuka

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Stelio Kontos posted:

Pretty awful fighting game player here but a huge fan of the FGC in general. I like to play all the big name fighting games so I at least have a basic understanding of them so I’m not completely lost watching Justin Wong on YouTube and everyone at EVO every year. Kinda wishing arcade quest was more like World Tour from sf6 because the mechanics in this game are way harder for me to understand. Is there any guide for someone so used to SF6 to check out to not be absolutely terrible at Tekken 8? I’m doing pretty okay at the low ranks but all the people I’ve faced just throw out the most punishable poo poo imaginable and I know it won’t be like that for long.

Not sure how basic you want to go, but I found this pretty definitive (as a person who's played Tekken before but is also kinda bad at it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58LncnVbXM&t=179s

Really PhiDX has just been crushing it with the tutorials in general tho

Been watching stuff today and man, watching some Lili stuff she's so cool, maybe she's the character for me :allears:

Also Diaphone put out a "ease of use" list that seems pretty good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MCxtYuYzs8

sorry for spamming the thread with videos!

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 1, 2024

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Per that Diaphone ease of use tier list, Landon D calls Lili "demonic in this game" and "maybe top 5."

Even as a Tekken newbie I think I agree with them. Not only have I had the most success on Lili, but I'm getting Perfects against people that are above my exp, skill, and execution level by just doing her 3+4 cartwheel shenanigans. Also just taking matches and rounds (when I just get completely cooked playing on other characters) against the same people.

If my inexperienced rear end can succeed on her I think she's definitely easy to use and strong. My fgc tekken sweat friends say she's good and full of gimmicks too.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

eggrolled posted:

Per that Diaphone ease of use tier list, Landon D calls Lili "demonic in this game" and "maybe top 5."

Even as a Tekken newbie I think I agree with them. Not only have I had the most success on Lili, but I'm getting Perfects against people that are above my exp, skill, and execution level by just doing her 3+4 cartwheel shenanigans. Also just taking matches and rounds (when I just get completely cooked playing on other characters) against the same people.

If my inexperienced rear end can succeed on her I think she's definitely easy to use and strong. My fgc tekken sweat friends say she's good and full of gimmicks too.

Glad to hear my eyes aren't deceiving me. She looks really fun to play too, so I think I'm gonna start picking her up for a bit and see how it feels

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Glad to hear my eyes aren't deceiving me. She looks really fun to play too, so I think I'm gonna start picking her up for a bit and see how it feels

I think her cat's name is Salt for a reason :buddy:
But yesss, she's really fun. I hope you enjoy her.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Seltzer posted:

its RDS2 then RDS 1,2 btw lol (rds 1,4 isnt a thing). This was driving me nuts for a few minutes

fjskd sorry that was the string in tekken 7 lol. old habits

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
every character feels really juiced up so far but i guess it's hard to tell since i'm a tekken noob, and it's week one, and i could be getting blown up by the dumbest most beatable poo poo.

jun feels strong, at least. stronger than leo did in T7, relatively speaking, but that was also a long time and a lot of games ago.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Lilli rules

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i keep adding things to my list of 'need to learn this' (the newest thing is what my punish is on blocking lows that aren't minus enough for launchers after, in the final round of the final match, i had to block 3 of victor's dancer's leg bullshit lows because i kept punishing them with 1, nothing) but then i get matches basically instantly and it's way too fun to play.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i keep adding things to my list of 'need to learn this' (the newest thing is what my punish is on blocking lows that aren't minus enough for launchers after, in the final round of the final match, i had to block 3 of victor's dancer's leg bullshit lows because i kept punishing them with 1, nothing) but then i get matches basically instantly and it's way too fun to play.

In my experience WS4 is your fastest crouch punish on virtually every character outside of FC1

When you get into the i12/13 and higher is when you get into character specific stuff usually? Lots of characters seem to have i13 WS1,2 or WS2,1 as an option too

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i tested it and that is indeed the case :cheers:

i also learned that jun has a dedicated Nice Hellsweep, Son, Shame if it got Blocked move with WS3+4.

this thing that suggests what move to use is actually pretty nuts.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Also Diaphone put out a "ease of use" list that seems pretty good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MCxtYuYzs8

sorry for spamming the thread with videos!

Spreading info is fine I'd say, though I skimmed that video this morning and it's ok, and seems well intended, but I'd put some asterisks on a bunch of their choices.

Like Law is a pretty drat easy pick up and play character with enough unga-bunga stuff to give a newer player some free wins, while DSS execution has all been simplified. His core gameplay is basic Tekken and that can be pretty hard by itself, but Law is a pretty easy character to learn it with.

Hwoarang, Steve, and Yoshimitsu (and Ling, a little) are all kinda in this same weird place where learning them, and getting actually good with them, is pretty tough due to their chunky and complex movelists, but for that same reason they will give you a lot of free wins once you know a few bits because most other players won't know what the gently caress you are doing.

DJ was always always the easiest Mishima to play, and from what I can tell he's been made even more unga-bunga with his flying crow stance. Guy is ridic. Reina on the other hand; jury's still out there, right; but from labbing her this weekend I'd say most people are overvaluing her stance mixups. Her mix is pure tickles that are launch punishable and without that she needs some very solid fundamentals and neutral play.

I'm never sure where to place a character like Bryan, his basics are simple as gently caress, his high execution is only relevant on the top end of optimization. He lacks a few standard tools like a basic df1 or df2, and his gameplan is a little different, but if you jive with that he's not all that hard to pick up and play.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
That's why I fell into Lili as well I guess.

Still, it seems to me her meaningful moves have a long startup, but I know nothing about Tekken so what do I know

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think there’s definitely that attitude of “If you can’t do a taunt jet upper/live in Phoenix stance/flash everything/never drop Acid Rain/etc are you even alive?!” that kind of makes some of the ideas about how difficult characters in Tekken a bit weird. Almost everybody can get by with your standard punish moves, some very light mixup and combo and whatever your particular gimmick is but the discussion kind of gets warped around the gimmick being the whole of a character.

Which, granted, you’re probably poking at Bryan because taunt jet uppers look incredible to pull off and you’re 1,000% right but I think it’s a lot of cart before the horse for new players. Same problem as learning KBD, I guess.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Orv posted:

I think there’s definitely that attitude of “If you can’t do a taunt jet upper/live in Phoenix stance/flash everything/never drop Acid Rain/etc are you even alive?!” that kind of makes some of the ideas about how difficult characters in Tekken a bit weird. Almost everybody can get by with your standard punish moves, some very light mixup and combo and whatever your particular gimmick is but the discussion kind of gets warped around the gimmick being the whole of a character.

Which, granted, you’re probably poking at Bryan because taunt jet uppers look incredible to pull off and you’re 1,000% right but I think it’s a lot of cart before the horse for new players. Same problem as learning KBD, I guess.

Yeah Bryan is the epitome of this talk, but it seeps into discussions about plenty of the cast. Bryan is a cool Roy Batty looking android with a somewhat defensive playstyle and hard counterhit moves. Even in the World Tour tourneys I've seen like 3 or so TJU's in over [how old is T7 now?]. It really isn't as big a part of the character as people make it out to be.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
There's also a bigger split between mechanical and gameplan complexity in tekken than in a lot of fighting games i think. theres characters that have a lot (steve) or little (paul) of both, but then you have characters like mishimas that are pretty straightforward in what they want to DO but with really high executions demands, as well as ones like xiaoyu and king that dont ask much of you in terms of execution but have sky-high mental stacks to manage. it's cool and a big reason i like tekken but makes characters hard to define on a one-plane spectrum like that

RME
Feb 20, 2012

idk I still find isw kinda hard

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Monicro posted:

There's also a bigger split between mechanical and gameplan complexity in tekken than in a lot of fighting games i think. theres characters that have a lot (steve) or little (paul) of both, but then you have characters like mishimas that are pretty straightforward in what they want to DO but with really high executions demands, as well as ones like xiaoyu and king that dont ask much of you in terms of execution but have sky-high mental stacks to manage. it's cool and a big reason i like tekken but makes characters hard to define on a one-plane spectrum like that

Being a Paul main does make learning the rest of the cast extra scary just because of how braindead easy he is to pick up compared to everyone else.

Absolutely anything I do leads to b1,2 -> deathfist.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Just been playing some Asuka. I still don't know combos worth drat but having fun. Keep defaulting back to my Josie moves that are just unsafe with Asuka :-/ Can't db2 to save my rear end with range

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

RE: Bryan's difficulty, taunt is usually pointed to as the reason for his perceived difficulty but as mentioned he is missing some pretty generic Tekken tools that just make him harder to play. If someone does something -14 awesome you are one of the few in the cast able to launch it but it is locked behind a motion input. If someone does something -15 you don't get to df2 or hopkick it, you have to do a motion input. You have a backsway so if you try to do the simpler qcb b qcb b shortcut to kbd you won't be able to. His primary low is locked behind a motion input, his new extremely powerful pseudo electric is locked behind a motion input, his launching mid you mix the low with is on a motion input, his most damaging ws launcher involves a sideswap, etc. I don't think any of these things are hard and in exchange for not having some pretty basic tools you have Bryan poo poo that more than makes up for it, but then you are learning Bryan poo poo and not generic Tekken tools.

Also RE: TJU, it lost one of it's main setups now that 3+4 doesn't knd on normal hit so you won't be seeing it as much anyways but taunt b4 is basically an essential tool and you can't watch a comp Bryan game without either seeing it land or seeing the threat of it keep an opp down at the wall.

Sorry for the Bryan wall of text I love this character more than pretty much anything gaming related at this point.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Shockeh posted:

Also you can do a whole plot of hosed up Jun vs. Kazumi conflict.

No, Jun and Kazumi need to be inexplicable best friends.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Don’t apologize for hot knowledge, it’s all good to know

For beating the poo poo out of Bryan

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

RE: Bryan's difficulty, taunt is usually pointed to as the reason for his perceived difficulty but as mentioned he is missing some pretty generic Tekken tools that just make him harder to play. If someone does something -14 awesome you are one of the few in the cast able to launch it but it is locked behind a motion input. If someone does something -15 you don't get to df2 or hopkick it, you have to do a motion input. You have a backsway so if you try to do the simpler qcb b qcb b shortcut to kbd you won't be able to. His primary low is locked behind a motion input, his new extremely powerful pseudo electric is locked behind a motion input, his launching mid you mix the low with is on a motion input, his most damaging ws launcher involves a sideswap, etc. I don't think any of these things are hard and in exchange for not having some pretty basic tools you have Bryan poo poo that more than makes up for it, but then you are learning Bryan poo poo and not generic Tekken tools.

Also RE: TJU, it lost one of it's main setups now that 3+4 doesn't knd on normal hit so you won't be seeing it as much anyways but taunt b4 is basically an essential tool and you can't watch a comp Bryan game without either seeing it land or seeing the threat of it keep an opp down at the wall.

Sorry for the Bryan wall of text I love this character more than pretty much anything gaming related at this point.

Yeah, so this is a Tekken thread, please let your nerd out without apologies.

I actually forgot about the motion input on his hatchet kick, which is actually a very fair point. He does still have his d3 or whatever the input was for is long range low poke? It's been a very long time since I dabbled with Bryan.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah, Bryan in T7 felt awkward to pilot after playing a bunch of characters with good generic tools.

Also it's amazing how fast muscle memory comes back after not playing Tekken for like five years lol.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Nice Van My Man posted:

No, Jun and Kazumi need to be inexplicable best friends.

Let's make them both!

I've come to a personal conclusion about Jun's 'Light' moves that cost her health - ALWAYS BE SUNNY. The cost is always less than the damage it causes, it can't kill you, and you have ways to regenerate it and they don't. (And this before discussing the madness that is them healing you in Heat, which my brain can't even comprehend yet in my travels with her.) If you can extend anything with a Light move - Go for it, it's usually better to have done than not.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 1, 2024

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Autsj posted:

Yeah, so this is a Tekken thread, please let your nerd out without apologies.

I actually forgot about the motion input on his hatchet kick, which is actually a very fair point. He does still have his d3 or whatever the input was for is long range low poke? It's been a very long time since I dabbled with Bryan.

His d4 has very long range as a good non-committal low poke, d3 is a bit stubbier and has worse frames but in exchange on CH you get d3,2 for decent damage and in 8 if you hold 1+2 on the 2's hit he goes into his install state

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think having one middle eastern character in your roster of 30 is especially pandering.

I’m middle eastern and like Rashid in sf so much more

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Same tbh

Orv
May 4, 2011
Rashid is a huge dork but in a very fun way, he's a great character.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Rashid has the best Time Up animation and it's a shame most will never see it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bInEU4lRQ_s

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Trillhouse posted:

lol Rashid owns

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Trillhouse posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Trucker Hat posted:

Being a Paul main does make learning the rest of the cast extra scary just because of how braindead easy he is to pick up compared to everyone else.

Absolutely anything I do leads to b1,2 -> deathfist.

Yeah also gently caress any long range poke ever cause im gonna b1+2 through it or get owned trying

Have you tried his running grab yet after heat engager? They have no idea what hit them.