Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Cemetery Man is from the new scan that was done for the recent UHD release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Shudder had been kinda disappointing me lately but this is a stacked month.

Two Evil Eyes I watched this year for the first time ever, it's not the best Argento movie or the best Romero movie but it's got a stacked cast and a real loving fun and crazy ending.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I gotta rewatch Bird with the Crystal Plumage, it's one of the few Argentos that I only saw once and so it's hard for me to remember details.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

Shudder had been kinda disappointing me lately.

:same:. Will say Destroy All Neighbors got the year off to a pretty good start for them with me

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Not a movie, but we've been watching Preacher on Shudder and genuinely loving it? We're almost at the end of season 1.

I've read the comic and I really did not expect an adaptation to work, like, at all.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Shudder maintains its worth for me through The Last Drive-In and Dragula. Everything else is a nice bonus.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wait wasn’t history of the occult already on Shudder? If not where did I watch it? Did things reset?

:ohdear:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

Wait wasn’t history of the occult already on Shudder? If not where did I watch it? Did things reset?

:ohdear:

It came to VOD services and was/is available for streaming on Screambox (and also, with ads, on Freevee and Tubi). I bought it on Vudu

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Joe Dante PIRANHA is surprisingly cruel and bloody, I highly recommend it if you're only familiar with GREMLINS 2 full madcap Dante.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Never missed an airing of Piranha as a kid. They played it on network TV all the time, sometimes before or after Alligator. Those two and Close Encounters were movies they seemed to play non-stop growing up.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Not a movie, but we've been watching Preacher on Shudder and genuinely loving it? We're almost at the end of season 1.

I've read the comic and I really did not expect an adaptation to work, like, at all.

Preacher was a good time. It deviates all over the place from the comic, but it still worked and had great gross-out moments.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Just wait till they introduce Herr Starr.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if Cemetery Man is from the new scan that was done for the recent UHD release.

Pretty sure that will be the case, Alligator also showed up shortly after the UHD was released

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Never thought I'd ever see Cemetery Man on a streaming service. Cool poo poo.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
The "piranhas gnawing" sound effect from the '78 Piranha is probably the greatest sound effect of all time.

Little JS spent a LOT of time underwater with a plastic shark attacking a GI Joe trying his damnedest to make that sound.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Missed French-Canadian movie Red Rooms when it came out last year; man that was loving great. I'm not sure where it sits on the line between serial killer "thriller" and "horror" but it definitely got sufficiently under my skin.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

Missed French-Canadian movie Red Rooms when it came out last year; man that was loving great. I'm not sure where it sits on the line between serial killer "thriller" and "horror" but it definitely got sufficiently under my skin.

A disturbing watch for sure. I felt gross afterward. The protagonist was a bit much though a super model/professional poker player/hacker?

Maybe I missed something but was it ever explained why she was so engrossed with the case? Any time someone asked she would avoid answering

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hell yeah, I've always wanted to see Cemetary Man but I can never find it anywhere.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

A disturbing watch for sure. I felt gross afterward. The protagonist was a bit much though a super model/professional poker player/hacker?

Still reeling a little and need to sleep on the movie a bit, but I think it's definitely pushed to be just as silly as it sounds when you write it out like that, for intentional effect.

The scene where she talks about her custom glorified Siri home assistant AI and demonstrates that it says "No" when she asks if she should kill herself, then explains it used to say "Yes" until she reprogrammed it to be smarter is legitimately very funny and felt like a nod to how absurd the character really is.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watched 12 Hour Shift.

It's a campy movie that drags at times. The cast is clearly having fun through all of it though. It's got Angela Bettis and David Arquette plus the lunch lady from Abbott Elementary. Not exceptional but a fun little watch.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Opopanax posted:

Hell yeah, I've always wanted to see Cemetary Man but I can never find it anywhere.

We have such ossuaries to show you.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I was on Tubi today and I noticed so many Amityville movies that I've never heard of. There was one movie set in space I think, I didn't watch it because it looked really bad. I honestly didn't know that they were so many movies based on it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"Based on" is pushing it

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

John Yossarian posted:

I was on Tubi today and I noticed so many Amityville movies that I've never heard of. There was one movie set in space I think, I didn't watch it because it looked really bad. I honestly didn't know that they were so many movies based on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeMadjM0ZZI

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl_luv_gWS8

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Despite that (very long) trailer, I feel like I need to see more to decide how I feel about it. When that kind of earnest-camp bad-good stuff is bad, it’s real dire, but it’s entirely possible they stick the landing and I’m being a skeptical little snob. (To be fair, I’m a skeptical little snob in either case.)

Also I really need to take enough film editing classes to describe what I hate about that specific way of shooting digital. It’s not all digital stuff, I’m actually about equally into film and digital and think it’s about trade offs. There’s just something that’s going on there that drives me bonkers.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Xiahou Dun posted:

Despite that (very long) trailer, I feel like I need to see more to decide how I feel about it. When that kind of earnest-camp bad-good stuff is bad, it’s real dire, but it’s entirely possible they stick the landing and I’m being a skeptical little snob. (To be fair, I’m a skeptical little snob in either case.)

Also I really need to take enough film editing classes to describe what I hate about that specific way of shooting digital. It’s not all digital stuff, I’m actually about equally into film and digital and think it’s about trade offs. There’s just something that’s going on there that drives me bonkers.

Probably a combination of the color timing, digital film scratches that are only like specks of dust. Where’s the scratches, skipped frames, cigarette burns, the first 20 minutes being way more worn out that the middle portion. There’s also like you mentioned it’s a too long trailer and there’s no momentum in it and by the time we get to anything all of the setups are static camera shots of a head being lobbed off or a bloody stump falling into frame. Also they’re shooting in the desert. There’s literally amazing horizons everywhere you can point a camera but they picked the most flattest angles possible.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah it’s something complex and hard to pin down and whenever I describe I just sound like I have synesthesia. It looks flat but also crisp and somehow stale.

Also Tom Arnold out of nowhere.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Totally flat or nonexistent lighting. There’s no depth or lighting/shadow contrast to many of the images. Then they tried to give it life with a bad color grade, except when they went with a washed out look that’s like they just used the LOG image from the camera. Very inconsistent overall.

But I’m no expert. It just looks rough.

Edit: And the lens looks pretty clinical and sharp. As if a 4K camera is all they needed instead of lights.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdYWqLgYmy4
A nicely cut trailer and sticks to the visual style.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gary the Llama posted:

Totally flat or nonexistent lighting. There’s no depth or lighting/shadow contrast to many of the images. Then they tried to give it life with a bad color grade, except when they went with a washed out look that’s like they just used the LOG image from the camera. Very inconsistent overall.

Edit: And the lens looks pretty clinical and sharp. As if a 4K camera is all they needed instead of lights.

This is correct

That movie looks like loving poo poo. How did that get made? Who funded it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just got a notification from Redwood Creek that someone has ripped off their project style sheet to push a fake restoration of the 1925 Phantom of the Opera. They're exceedingly pissed off because they have been working on their own 4K restoration of the movie for some time with a view to a centenary re-release, and now some dogfucker with an AI video scrubber has poisoned the well so they're probably going to have to scrap it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Minus one/minus color absolutely ruled.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

John Yossarian posted:

I have The Amityville Karen on my watchlist for a while, but I havent had the strength to actually hit play yet.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's a horror movie guy on youtube who, despite looking like every self-parody "horror movie youtube guy" is actually pretty cool and good, but somehow roped himself into having "the Amityville reviewer" be his brand. He has reviewed and talked at length about all 42(!) Amityville movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaFbUiOoC7Y

he even made an Amityville movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jExHmdEgn24

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gary the Llama posted:

it also looks like they did effectively no blocking. people are just standing in a circle talking, random characters are in frame when they aren't doing anything or part of any kind of composition. very slapdash

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Shrecknet posted:

There's a horror movie guy on youtube who, despite looking like every self-parody "horror movie youtube guy" is actually pretty cool and good, but somehow roped himself into having "the Amityville reviewer" be his brand. He has reviewed and talked at length about all 42(!) Amityville movies:

To show the absolute insanity of the Amityville franchise, I read this post without clicking any links and thought you were talking about someone else.

There's "Movie Timelines" on youtube (which I highly recommend). He made his own Amityville movie, too:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27485616/ 

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shrecknet posted:

More people should take this route.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

A ton of Argento movies hit Shudder, I'm going to check out that documentary tonight but I attempted to revisit Dracula 3D over my lunch break.

It's so bad. It feels like it's a joke that the viewer hasn't been let in on or something. It looks cheap, some of the acting is horrendous, the CGI is about as bad as you'll ever find, and the music is so loving cheesy and not in a fun way. Not even Rutger Hauer can save this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Halloween 5 loving sucks but I can't help but love Donald Pleasance's performance.

COOKIE WOMAN?!