Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Rat Patrol posted:

I mean Walmart is a huge billion dollar corp right, I can believe a big company would exploit people, that's their whole deal
Exploit people by paying them lower wages, offering lovely benefits, fighting unions, etc? Absolutely.

But having random non-employees volunteer to do your inventory? No, because that's an enormous risk for the company. That's a blatant and fine-able violation of labor laws, it creates a theft/security concern, and it opens the company up to liability if someone gets injured.

If this was a small business or something, I could see them trying to skirt the rules or slide under the radar, but this seems very unlikely for a "very large billion dollar corporation" that takes HR seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

edgeman83 posted:

WIBTAH If I complain about my coworker who messaged my husband?

what the gently caress i already thought it was weird that they had to bring people from outside for helping with work then it turns out it's a billion dollar company :psyduck:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AmiYumi posted:

The Brandon Lee case shows "professionals" can be just as ignorant; they had blanks and whatever you'd call reverse blanks (slug with no propellant) and fired both in rapid succession. Doinked the slug into the barrel and then fired a "blank" right into their lead actor.
Eh, both incidents happened because the producers cut labour costs to the bone, and because people were allowed to dick around with the guns. The gun that killed Lee was in the care of an untrained assistant.

Chewbecca posted:

Maybe I'm overly simple, but couldn't people visiting her leave the items in the car? I know they shouldn't have to, but she can't steal what she can't get to
She's taking the kind of stuff people typically carry with them, like a breastfeeding mother's pump and toys that kids take with them to grandma's house.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn't loose corn referred to as niblings?
The corn's sex life is none of my business.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The niblings as a single unit is an interesting characterization though, especially since they're implied to be young kids if grandma can snatch things off them. Like a bunch of preschoolers circulated a petition to bring the matter to the tuncle with a spine.
Marx predicted that they would go from being niblings-in-themselves to niblings-for-themselves.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

edgeman83 posted:

I have so many questions, and they're all about the literal first sentence, I don't even care about the rest!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's the second sentence that goes off the rails for me, we had inventory days at one of my retail jobs but they were never like "and everyone bring a friend or family member to help out!" :confused:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

alright everyone, it's Theft Day. We've backed up all our trucks to the dock. Please make sure to have your spouses and children each take what they want from the back

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

and even if they're somehow not creating shrinkage the size of which has not been seen since the last Arctic swimming competition, then that company is still committing wage theft lmao

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I hope they meant to say "billion dollar industry" and not company.

That's also my favorite thing about this thread, is people posting boring relationship stuff but also mentioning completely insane things offhand like they think they're normal. It's my favorite running joke.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Too early for horny posting.

Corny posting, surely

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

edgeman83 posted:

I know my husband is attractive, I know I am too. I know my husband is successful, I know I am too

How successful are you if you are doing inventory for the weekend and this billion dollar company makes you bring your family in for unpaid labor?

Maybe the billion dollar company is the Catholic Church

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Tristesse posted:

What is a large multi billion dollar company doing demanding employees bring in friends to do free labor? OP needs to get away from that weird place and also get her coworker fired for accessing personal HR info.

OP says in the comments that the extra help was paid. A few people have piped up to say they've worked at places that have done something similar. I guess it's a thing?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Many companies bring in temp workers for 1 or 2 days to do year-end inventory, I've never heard of one whose temp worker pool is "whoever our current employees are loving"

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Yeah, we did this when I worked at a Gamestop. I know it's hard to believe that Gamestop would stoop so low as to exploit their workers like that

They bought us pizza but said we couldn't eat it until we're done as some weird Glenngarian "coffee is for closers" motivation.

I get so motivated for cold Papa John's

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Me too it gets me erekt

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Many companies bring in temp workers for 1 or 2 days to do year-end inventory, I've never heard of one whose temp worker pool is "whoever our current employees are loving"

If temp workers from a contractor walk off with inventory, the company can at least go after the contracting agency presumably? Or at the very least go with one that does better screening in the future. Hiring temp employees for this kind of work directly, related or not, seems like a huge risk to sign onto.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's been too long since we had a nice, clean evil stepmother story to serve as a palette-cleanser.

AITA For telling my stepdaughter not to talk about the past?

quote:

I (48F) met my husband 8 years ago, and his daughters (aged 19 and 13) 6 years ago. My husband divorced their mother 13 years ago. My husband has told me the full story about the divorce, and while I won't go into detail as it's a long story, it wasn't amicable and it really drove a wedge between him and his daughters, particularly his oldest.

The other main thing that has gotten between my husband and his older daughter is that she is on the spectrum and has very little social awareness. Pretty much every time I see her either I or someone else has to get on her about time and place, as she has a tendency to talk about things that aren't appropriate.

The divorce is what she brings up the most when it happens. She seems to get a kick out of telling family members and friends stories about her father in which he is the bad guy, and while they are true stories a lot of what she tells people is exaggerated.

I've asked her several times not to discuss her childhood or the divorce during family events, as I don't want our extended family or friends to view my husband in a negative light.

A few weeks ago, during a back-to-school party after winter break, I overheard her telling her stepfather a story about a time her dad was intoxicated. I stopped her and told that we had been over this and at this point it felt like she was doing it on purpose.

She started to make all kinds of excuses, such as her stepfather asked about it and she wasn't making it up, and I told her it didn't matter and that she shouldn't be talking about it regardless.

She walked away from me (which she tends to do during confrontation) and her mother came up to me about 10 minutes later and laid into me for yelling at her daughter.

She told me she agreed about the lack of awareness and time and place, but that I apparently need to let her handle it because she's her mother and I barely know her. (Which is false, my husband has visitation and has the entire time I've known them).

I'm honestly not sure if I was wrong. I've talked to her about it so many times so I feel like it was at least partially warranted, but I'm curious what others think. AITA?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Pirate Radar posted:

Family businesses: not even once

Boss wants to buy a gun to shoot "blanks" at me for an active shooter drill

A kid tried this with an airsoft gun with me at work (in a public library) one day and no-selling his mock execution of me was extremely satisfying.

Of course, had I been wrong I wouldn't have long to be embarrassed about it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hughlander posted:

WIBTA for telling my mom why none of the niblings will visit her and most of my siblings will not have her to stay?

But has she ever stolen a coat?

Sure kids think Robin Hood would be cool, but Grandma actually does it and they pitch a fit

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Family businesses: not even once

Boss wants to buy a gun to shoot "blanks" at me for an active shooter drill

It's so nice of him to provide a passing concealed carry guy their chance to finally be a hero (piss themselves in terror then shoot an entire magazine into the drywall six feet to the left of the "shooter").

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My husband's company would have friends and family come in to help with inventory, but we'd get paid $160 for about 4 hours of work, which was writing down numbers they read to us. Except the last couple times, they deemed me "smarter than that" and had me doing data entry instead and paired my husband up with someone else, which was lame. I didn't want to work for real, I just wanted to be paid to hang out with my husband for an evening. Now they've finally digitized everything and can just scan their way through it, so those days are over.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I don’t know where you found it, but please don’t post photos of me.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Halloween Jack posted:

It's been too long since we had a nice, clean evil stepmother story to serve as a palette-cleanser.

someone buy this kid a forums account

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Halloween Jack posted:

quote:

his daughters (aged 19 and 13) [...] My husband divorced their mother 13 years ago. My husband has told me the full story about the divorce, and while I won't go into detail as it's a long story, it wasn't amicable and it really drove a wedge between him and his daughters, particularly his oldest.
Hmm yes the divorce probably did drive a wedge between him and his unborn child.

quote:

The divorce is what she brings up the most when it happens. She seems to get a kick out of telling family members and friends stories about her father in which he is the bad guy, and while they are true stories a lot of what she tells people is exaggerated.

LOL get rekt. I am 100% sure those stories involve the dad cheating. And stepmum will be shocked, shocked, when he cheats on her.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

It's like a sovereign citizen way of dealing with relationships. If I say the just right words in just the right order she'll have no choice but to forgive and forget.

I was literally just thinking of sovereign citizens. And how they practice law like Zapp Brannigan practices flirting- just start talking and never, ever stop.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Super curious to find out what the lovely kid did that resulted in him having legal fees and unable to attend regular school.

Moon Slayer posted:

I'd put money on "can't stop getting into fights."

e: I had a coworker with a 16-year-old son who had severe behavioral issues and was already 6'2" and 240 pounds and she couldn't understand why the school didn't want him there.
Commenters were also guessing something like that. The legal bills might be for an attorney fighting on their behalf to get more services for their son or it might be for a judgment that they owe to someone for injury or damage their son did that- very important note- the son or parents are legally responsible for.

quote:

Dear Prudence,

After years of watching conservative news and the Catholic channel, my dad has become increasingly isolated from our family, and he recently told me that I am evil because of my pro-choice stance and that he no longer wants a relationship with me. This statement came out of the blue, and he has begun to turn down invitations to family events and holiday celebrations. He is single and I, his most attentive daughter, was the only family member to investigate after he underwent a secret hepatitis treatment and was near death in his house after a bad reaction.

Now I feel like he has no one to look out for him. It breaks my heart that he will live out his final years alone and with no one to care for him as he ages. I don’t know how hard I should push for a relationship with him when he has been so heavily influenced by extremist media and isn’t behaving rationally.

—Broken-Hearted Daughter

[quote]Dear Broken Hearted,

This is hard, and your compassion really comes through your letter—but your dad has largely made the choice for you. A “relationship” may not be in the cards, but I wonder if you could find a way to take care of his physical well-being and make sure he has enough regular contact that he could let you know if he changes his mind and wants to reconnect. Having money to throw at the problem would help, as it does in almost every situation. If you’re able to hire a caregiver to come in a few times a week, that would eb a huge relief. (Let’s make sure to give fair warning to anyone who’s not white or straight because I’m sure he has some views on topics beyond abortion that they may not want to hear every day—not that anyone necessarily would!) If not, you could tell him, “Dad, I know you think I’m evil but I’m not going to let you be alone in this world. I’ll be coming by every Sunday to see what needs to be done around the house and calling you every night at 7:00 and if you don’t answer I’ll have to ask for a wellness check.” If it feels right you could even add, “Lucky for you I actually care about people having access to healthcare! So I’ll be taking you to your doctor’s appointments.”

Therapy is a must for you as you navigate this heartbreaking situation. I say that in part because it’s hard and in part because conservative positions on contemporary political issues don’t often come out of nowhere. (My grandmother was obsessed with Catholic TV and despite watching the rosary and mass every day and potentially having a crush on one of the priests, she never became someone who thought people in the real world should be stripped of their rights.) They can often follow a lifelong conservative worldview, which can involve not treating women (including daughters) with a ton of respect. I’m speculating a bit here, but I wonder if you’ve spent your life trying to gain the approval and affection of a man who fundamentally thought your gender made you a little less valuable of a person. If so, this situation is about more than an abortion debate and a secret hepatitis treatment. It’s about your yearning for the kind of relationship you may never have with your dad, for reasons that aren’t your fault. Coming to terms with that might make the struggles of his final years less agonizing. [/quote
Dad's a loss, unless he's got brain problems or something, but the daughter's "how can he get along without me" attitude is kind of a pain in the rear end.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fantasizing about the pathetically weak zingers a complete stranger could fail to own their conservative parents with

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

trickybiscuits posted:

Dad's a loss, unless he's got brain problems or something, but the daughter's "how can he get along without me" attitude is kind of a pain in the rear end.

I dunno, depending how exaggerated "he underwent a secret hepatitis treatment and was near death in his house after a bad reaction" is, could be they'll find they guy dead on horse paste if he's left alone.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Hmm yes the divorce probably did drive a wedge between him and his unborn child.

Younger kid could’ve been only a few months old.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

edogawa rando posted:

Younger kid could’ve been only a few months old.

True, I am just assuming the dad was a jerk who cheated on his pregnant wife.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

trickybiscuits posted:

Commenters were also guessing something like that. The legal bills might be for an attorney fighting on their behalf to get more services for their son or it might be for a judgment that they owe to someone for injury or damage their son did that- very important note- the son or parents are legally responsible for.

What else are you going to do if your kid is that much of a fuckup as a minor? Maybe retroactively there were better parenting choices to be made with the son, bad vibes aside that's usually an environmental thing. But just tossing him to the wolves in the juvenile justice system isn't a great option with there they are now.

But that aside they need to be way more transparent with the daughter. Not necessarily every detail of her brother's situation, but there's a baseline of "due to personal issues with your brother out of our control, we can't afford the same quality of life as other families with a similar income. It's not your fault, we're here to support you, but please understand that we have unique priorities that prevent us from buying certain material luxuries." She clearly gets that something is going on.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I work for a very large machine company that has hundreds of stores selling all sorts of very high-end construction and farm equipment, and we still run off a DOS-based system from the early 80's. Companies will cut costs wherever they can regardless of how large they are. I definitely don't think that one is a fake only based on that.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for having my daughter join a sport activity despite my wife's objections?

My wife used to participate in a sport with an otherwise unheard-of rate of injuries and eating disorders, and I introduced our daughter to it over her objections. Did I do a bad thing?

Ehh im going to say clearly NTA in this one, specially since the daughter was the one who wanted to do it in the first place. there is a world of difference between doing something as a hobby and doing it professionally, and it seems assholish of the wife to prevent her daughter from partaking in a fun, athletic activity that already netted her a friend

its like if the dad played in the NFL and all his friends did steroids and got CTEs and now he doesnt want his son to play flag football

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Dear Reddit, my wife used to love softball until her father turned out to be that "Softball Slasher" you've all probably read about in the news. So I signed our daughter up for softball and

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

please don't get people started posting about themselves wrt gymnastics again

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

yeah sorry i didnt realize how far back i was

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

Ehh im going to say clearly NTA in this one, specially since the daughter was the one who wanted to do it in the first place. there is a world of difference between doing something as a hobby and doing it professionally, and it seems assholish of the wife to prevent her daughter from partaking in a fun, athletic activity that already netted her a friend

its like if the dad played in the NFL and all his friends did steroids and got CTEs and now he doesnt want his son to play flag football

I like how you specifically picked flag football.

https://www.sportsrec.com/8294724/the-dangerous-effects-of-gymnastics-for-developing-children

I dunno man, I was looking up the injury rates and stuff and it seems a bit worse than flag football

AITA for condescending to my kid’s teacher?

quote:

My (26) daughter(6) came home a couple weeks ago and told me her teacher said she got too many fruits in her lunch , and told her to tell me that she needs a bigger sandwich. Considering my daughter never finishes her lunch as is, and that she likes her lunches, I just ignored her teacher. This morning as I’m putting her lunch bag in her backpack, she tells me that her teacher has made comments to her about how her lunch isn’t healthy. At this point I was frustrated. Every day I make her a homemade “uncrustable “ (PB&J no crust), 2-3 fruit or vegetable sides (carrots, apples, bananas, oranges, cherry tomatoes etc) a small side of chips (usually goldfish but occasionally she asks for spicy chips which she can only handle a few of) , an “honesty juice box” (that’s actually 90% water, organic and with no added sugar) and a small treat ( 2-3 oreos, trail mix with m&ms, a fun sized candy ). So I wrote her teacher a note which read : “Dear ********, It has been brought to my attention on that you have been making ng, comments to my daughter about her unch. I wasn’t aware you were a dietician. My sister actually IS a doctor, and seems to think her diet is better than a lot of kids her age, and to be frank, even if I were packing her junk that would be none of your concern. If you have any more opinions about my daughters eating habits, speak to me or keep them to your self. Thank you, signed”

Im aware this was a bit harsh , but am I out of line after she’s made multiple comments that have made my kindergartener ashamed of her lunch?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
"Um, daddy? I need a bigger sandwich, and, um... less fruit... because... because... teacher says. Um, and teacher says I need more toys and less homework."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

AITA for condescending to my kid’s teacher?

Can't disagree with the facts, but if they're going to antagonize someone in a position of authority over their 6 year old I hope they have a plan for escalating the matter when the teacher retaliates against the kid.

babypolis posted:

well i guess gym class for kids is a lot worse than i thought

There are a pile of physical activities that are great for children and aren't also embedded with a toxic culture and high injury rates. The whole Nassar thing should be a huge red flag, would you take the risk of leaving your kids alone around a catholic priest?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 1, 2024

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

well i guess gym class for kids is a lot worse than i thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Scathach posted:

I work for a very large machine company that has hundreds of stores selling all sorts of very high-end construction and farm equipment, and we still run off a DOS-based system from the early 80's. Companies will cut costs wherever they can regardless of how large they are. I definitely don't think that one is a fake only based on that.

telling you right now, putting money on it, that dos-based system is 1000x better than whatever contemporary click driven monstrosity it could be replaced with