Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Professor Shark posted:

Our local vet now has a voicemail message saying they are no longer accepting cancellations due to weather. Snow storm for the appointment you booked last week? Too bad, pay up!

I was 45 minutes late to a vet appointment to get some non-critical vaccines (lepto & canine influenza) and they wanted to charge a twelve dollar "urgent care" fee while the lobby was empty.

not to go full rant mode, but I have literally spent THOUSANDS of dollars with that vet. THOUSANDS. I told them that was totally ridiculous, there was no way I was paying a fee for being 45 minutes late, and got up and walked out. I got a really urgent message from the manager saying "oh we're so sorry, we value your business :words:" but the damage was done

Random rear end fees being enforced by low level employees has enshittified everywhere.

redshirt posted:

Apologies, Apple, I now realize those blank gray screens are time I can focus on breathing meditation.

Its amazing that Apple could literally dictate the end-user experience for smartphone users, but they just can't get out of their own way w/r/t deprecating existing functionality to chase the next golden widget. I switched over to Apple products about five years ago because I was tired of Samsung's crappy build quality, but having my phone/watch/tablet interface change without notice (sometimes wildly) is a complete deal breaker for me.

real PED enshittification - the Fitbit Ionic was a terrible smart watch but a fantastic fitness tracker. Then Google bought them and.... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

I was 45 minutes late to a vet appointment to get some non-critical vaccines (lepto & canine influenza) and they wanted to charge a twelve dollar "urgent care" fee while the lobby was empty.

not to go full rant mode, but I have literally spent THOUSANDS of dollars with that vet. THOUSANDS. I told them that was totally ridiculous, there was no way I was paying a fee for being 45 minutes late, and got up and walked out. I got a really urgent message from the manager saying "oh we're so sorry, we value your business :words:" but the damage was done

Random rear end fees being enforced by low level employees has enshittified everywhere.

Its amazing that Apple could literally dictate the end-user experience for smartphone users, but they just can't get out of their own way w/r/t deprecating existing functionality to chase the next golden widget. I switched over to Apple products about five years ago because I was tired of Samsung's crappy build quality, but having my phone/watch/tablet interface change without notice (sometimes wildly) is a complete deal breaker for me.

real PED enshittification - the Fitbit Ionic was a terrible smart watch but a fantastic fitness tracker. Then Google bought them and.... :shrug:

With the latest update to the Apple Watch, they changed the functionality of one of the physical buttons on the watch. It used to be a way to bring up your custom shortcuts. Now it just brings up the Watch control pad - which use to be easily accessible by swiping up on the watch face. Everyone has complained, for whatever good that does.

You can now go through an extra 5 or so frustrating steps to try and get a couple of shortcuts to frequently used apps by swiping up on the watch face.

A change for no apparent purpose that reduced functionality. Good stuff.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I’ve had several netgear routers over the last two decades starting with the classic WRT54G back at the dawn of home WiFi. I’ve never had one I wasn’t satisfied with. Need to enter the settings menu? Easy, just punch 192.168.1.1 into your browser. But times have changed I guess. My newest router starts by hounding you to download their app. As if that wasn’t enough, it makes you create and log into a netgear account before it will take you to the web based UI if you refuse the app. The app also makes you log into your account naturally. It pissed me off so much that went out and downloaded openwrt and switched the firmware so that I never have to deal with their poo poo again. I was only digging around in the settings to try and fix a game that started losing connection to the host every five minutes after a recent update. To be fair that’s the games fault because every other game I play works just fine and so did this one until the developers broke it, but swapping the firmware resolved the issue so I’m going to also blame netgear.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cosmik Debris posted:

I know we're not supposed to publicly talk about how to do piracy or whatever, but, there are cracked youtube apps for android and anything that runs android. I run a pihole on my network so there's no ads in our browsers, and ublock origin and sponsorblock for firefox, ditto for me and my wife's phones.

My kid loves watching mickey mouse, so I put smarttube on our Shield for him and wow, it's amazing. When the video's over it just...stops. And he has to come ask us to put a new one on for him.

No 2 hour long ads, no "here's somethign else you might like" just, like, something working good. He's not bombarded with toy ads. Same deal when he wants to watch one on our phones.

It's awesome. Even when I was a kid I remember watching ads on TV all the time. My kid's never seen an ad.

Ads have become so pervasive that I just had to go full nuclear. I didnt' used to mind them but they're just everywhere now.

Ads should be illegal

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

redshirt posted:

“Why do we have all these UI designers if they’re not changing the UI?”

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

everything wants you to make an account. i've had it up to here with these drat accounts!

I needed to help someone with their computer yesterday, and tried using TeamViewer. It forced me to make an account, then their desktop app kept flipping me to a web page to complete the sign-in, where it wouldn't work, and the desktop app kept hanging, waiting for ethereal permission from my browser to continue working.

the colonel is breakdancing. give me a break!

buglord posted:

I finally got instagram to stop putting anything but cat videos on my main feed. The more I interacted with posts in order to block them, the more instagram would think I was wanting to see that content. So when I cat vid came up, I interacted with it and trained it to only serve me that. They’re also incredibly inoffensive and occasionally cute so whatever.

"training" an algorithm to coax it into giving you the stuff you like is a fool's game.

It's like completing captchas voluntarily, hoping that Google Maps and self-driving cars get better.

It's like carefully sacrificing individual ants to Baal.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’ve had several netgear routers over the last two decades starting with the classic WRT54G back at the dawn of home WiFi. I’ve never had one I wasn’t satisfied with. Need to enter the settings menu? Easy, just punch 192.168.1.1 into your browser. But times have changed I guess. My newest router starts by hounding you to download their app. As if that wasn’t enough, it makes you create and log into a netgear account before it will take you to the web based UI if you refuse the app. The app also makes you log into your account naturally. It pissed me off so much that went out and downloaded openwrt and switched the firmware so that I never have to deal with their poo poo again. I was only digging around in the settings to try and fix a game that started losing connection to the host every five minutes after a recent update. To be fair that’s the games fault because every other game I play works just fine and so did this one until the developers broke it, but swapping the firmware resolved the issue so I’m going to also blame netgear.

:actually: The WRT54g is Linksys, not netgear. Also they were the absolute gold-tier standard for home routers until Cisco bought them out and enshittified them. OpenWRT on a 54G is probably peak 2.4ghz wifi experience, although I have the TP-Link Archer7 router now and its pretty decent.

:lol: that i had to go through several different iterations of wifi router to find one that actually does what it says on the box

redshirt posted:

:haibrow: I didn't necessarily like the interface on the Apple Watch to begin with, but its total loving trash now, and I'm completely disinterested in learning the new interface so they can change it in a year.

Maybe the newer ones are good, but the Apple Watch 6 is a piece of poo poo. I bought it for one very, very specific use case - playing spotify at the gym so I dont have to bring my phone inside :barf: - but its a big pain in the rear end to get to work right and it fucks up frequently.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

deep dish peat moss posted:

Something to highlight just how bad the job market/ghost job phenomenon is right now is that There were 9.6 million "open job postings" in September but only 150,000 were actually filled by the end of October per the BLS

By that metric less than 2% of postings are actual real jobs.

Yeah most places that are "hiring" aren't

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I keep My Apple Watch in a drawer and only use it to find my phone. It’s such garbage. Why do the settings constantly reset ? Why do the watch faces constantly reset ? Why does a watch have to update its firmware ever month ?

God I hate it

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

euphronius posted:

I keep My Apple Watch in a drawer and only use it to find my phone. It’s such garbage. Why do the settings constantly reset ? Why do the watch faces constantly reset ? Why does a watch have to update its firmware ever month ?

God I hate it

Are you sure it’s not your ability to interact at even a basic level with technology that got shittier?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

rafikki posted:

Are you sure it’s not your ability to interact at even a basic level with technology that got shittier?

Why should they have to change, Apple's the one who sucks.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Vampire Panties posted:

are you really arguing that you werent in the wrong for being nearly an hour late to something

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yea 15 minutes is one thing but almost an hour late I wouldn't have been surprised if they made you reschedule and charged a fee on top of that

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

pencilhands posted:

are you really arguing that you werent in the wrong for being nearly an hour late to something

lol and then on top of that the "ive spent THOUSANDS OF DOLALRS HERE!!!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT I AM?!"

love to spot a earnest karen post in the wild

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

drat pencilhands lands another one. now post a stupid af take to balance it out lmfoa

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

drat pencilhands lands another one. now post a stupid af take to balance it out lmfoa

I’ve never posted anything stupid in my life.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

pencilhands posted:

I’ve never posted anything stupid in my life.

I beg to differ, you just did in another thread

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

I beg to differ, you just did in another thread

No I didn’t

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

pencilhands posted:

No I didn’t

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Excuse me I paid to have a 5 post argument, this is abuse

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

pencilhands posted:

Even a broken clock...

For real though, chronic lateness is the newest pandemic. My practice just started charging late cancellation fees for everything-- including medical emergencies and COVID-- because no one seems to be able to keep a goddamn appointment/give a reasonable amount of notice lately.

I just had a couple quit therapy because I billed them for a session that they cancelled less than an hour before it started. While I don't particularly like it, our policy is super clear; I discuss it during intake and my clients sign paperwork explaining the late-cancellation fee. And yet somehow everyone turns into a shocked Pikachu when I hold them accountable. Just show up to your poo poo or give me 24 hours notice, it's not that hard.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Except im nothing like a broken clock. Im right all the time. Like an atomic clock or the clock on a cell phone.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The cancellation fees are kind of bogus for shops that don’t really schedule and book as many people as possible

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Even a broken clock...

For real though, chronic lateness is the newest pandemic. My practice just started charging late cancellation fees for everything-- including medical emergencies and COVID-- because no one seems to be able to keep a goddamn appointment/give a reasonable amount of notice lately.

I just had a couple quit therapy because I billed them for a session that they cancelled less than an hour before it started. While I don't particularly like it, our policy is super clear; I discuss it during intake and my clients sign paperwork explaining the late-cancellation fee. And yet somehow everyone turns into a shocked Pikachu when I hold them accountable. Just show up to your poo poo or give me 24 hours notice, it's not that hard.

TBH you might not be wrong. I remember one of the big things that was talked about a while ago with Long COVID was persistent brain fog, and one of the big results of that tends to be poor time management or time blindness (see: anyone with unmedicated ADHD).

So people are legitimately probably shittier at keeping to schedules than they used to be pre-COVID.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

a clock that's 43 minutes fast

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol and then on top of that the "ive spent THOUSANDS OF DOLALRS HERE!!!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT I AM?!"

love to spot a earnest karen post in the wild

I especially enjoyed the conspicuous absence of an apology or any attempt to call and give a courtesy heads up that they were running late.

"Can you believe these people had the temerity to charge me thirty entire cents per minute for completely wasting their time for no reason?!?" lmao get hosed

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ishikabibble posted:

time blindness (see: anyone with unmedicated ADHD).

I know people who almost cannot function now without Adderall. And they've got to remember to take their Adderall!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
An empty lobby at a vets office means literally nothing because vets try to keep them clear as possible because animals easily spread some pretty horrific diseases back and forth very easily. They could have had every room booked and you just dont see it. or all the extra poo poo going on in back. Like when I was working for a vets office there were regularly times when we didn't book certain things because the vet was doing surgerys so they were stuck in the back and only things that could be fully done by techs happened out front.

lol what an incredible loving karen. I was an hour late and they charged me!!!!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

I know people who almost cannot function now without Adderall. And they've got to remember to take their Adderall!

Not being able to function without Adderall is a side effect of Adderall addiction more than an ADHD thing and it also causes the poor memory stuff that leads to forgetting to take your Adderall, because when you're not on it you're in withdrawal and can't do poo poo. Being on it can also cause tunnel vision issues which are responsible for a lot of the time blindness and forgetting to take meds. Like you get time blindness without meds sure but it's way worse when you're on Adderall.

I did the Adderall thing for 5 years before getting off and switching to less disruptive meds and yeah I miss Adderall making me feel like I'm in that movie Limitless but I feel like overall I'm way more productive and better off being on other things since I'm not doing that whole seesaw between hyperacuity and complete agonizing uselessness constantly!! It's hard to recognize how much it fucks you up while you're taking it because it makes you feel euphoric.

Basically people should just stop taking amphetamines as medicine IMO, it's like an ouroboros that eventually eats itself

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 1, 2024

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
being unmedicated means i dont even get the false euphoria i ONLY get to experience being a time-blind airheaded worthless idiot whom everyone else considers lazy while i sit there screaming internally at myself to get up and do things and my failed executive function just makes little whistly sounds, it's great having adhd

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

you've probably heard this all before but wearing a watch at all times and occasionally listening to the beat of the balance wheel pressed against my ear helps tons

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Get yourself some of the good, affordable and readily available meds :hai: I get strattera+clonidine for under $30/mo total without insurance and I couldn't imagine going back to life before them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Not being able to function without Adderall is a side effect of Adderall addiction more than an ADHD thing and it also causes the poor memory stuff that leads to forgetting to take your Adderall, because when you're not on it you're in withdrawal and can't do poo poo. Being on it can also cause tunnel vision issues which are responsible for a lot of the time blindness and forgetting to take meds. Like you get time blindness without meds sure but it's way worse when you're on Adderall.

I did the Adderall thing for 5 years before getting off and switching to less disruptive meds and yeah I miss Adderall making me feel like I'm in that movie Limitless but I feel like overall I'm way more productive and better off being on other things since I'm not doing that whole seesaw between hyperacuity and complete agonizing uselessness constantly!! It's hard to recognize how much it fucks you up while you're taking it because it makes you feel euphoric.

Basically people should just stop taking amphetamines as medicine IMO, it's like an ouroboros that eventually eats itself

My first instinct was to argue with you, but yeah this tracks, as someone who is on year 5 themselves with adderall. The tunnel vision is real, and so is getting locked in and becoming more time blind than you otherwise would be. It's been a very double edge sword and I'm gonna switch to something else this year.

So far the drug mostly makes me post on the forums most of all, not work.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I rely on reminders and alarms quite a bit and recommend it, especially for appointments and such. Just get in the habit of setting the reminders/alarms ASAP, so you can then just forget about it and trust in the alarm. It's liberating.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

skooma512 posted:

My first instinct was to argue with you, but yeah this tracks, as someone who is on year 5 themselves with adderall. The tunnel vision is real, and so is getting locked in and becoming more time blind than you otherwise would be. It's been a very double edge sword and I'm gonna switch to something else this year.

So far the drug mostly makes me post on the forums most of all, not work.

Okay but have you considered that your posts (and especially your avatar) make our lives better?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's not like being hyper-aware of time is any better. I have an internal clock that is so correct I can always guess the current time to within a ten min window of the actual time. And all it does is mean I'm so aware of the passing of time I'm constantly overwhelmed by it, and the only time I can actually get poo poo done is if I get so invested in something I can forget the beat of the clock for a moment and just flow.

If I have an appointment, well gently caress now I have an upcoming time commitment to hook all of my anxiety onto and obsess over and be aware that it's now 20 hrs away....19 hrs away....18 hrs away...until Im at the drat thing. I still manage to get stuff done in the interim but it's like I'm distracted the whole time, never really present in what I'm doing - because I am always, always paying attention to the internal tick of the clock.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The clock, she haunts me. But the only time the clock will stop, is when I die. So, as much as I hate that my brain is this way, at least it's validation of life. Like dishes, or laundry - as awful as they are, they prove you are alive - dead people don't have these things waiting for them at home. They no longer sully clothes with daily living, or dirty dishes with meals. Or hear clocks ticking.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
let every man be master of his time

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Being stuck in waiting mode is the worst part of ADHD. No I can't do this 15 minute task right now because I have an appointment in 6 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
loving :lol: at the pedantry on this loving site :jerkbag: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I could've written a novel. I could have started with the parking lot was also empty, and that the vet is a converted 2bd house. I could have added the :airquote: lobby :airquote: is a living room from which you can see 80% of the clinic. I could have talked about the multi-year relationship I've had with them or the various issues and treatment plans we've worked through with my dog, or why specifically I was late, or how I wasn't sure that leptospirosis or canine influenza were necessarily important vaccines to get (neither are required by any government agency, boarding house, or grooming service). I could provide pictures from the loving Google reviews, or receipts, or emails.

but apparently y'all are super cool with a business you've known and trusted charging you a random fee, and expect everyone to be perfect 100% of the time, and :goonsay: I'm a Karen for not being a doormat, so I guess gently caress me right? :birdthunk:

jfc talk about enshittification