Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Who has the more hellish job, a tech hunter ninja guarding Mongrel against swarms of fogmen or an Empire samurai fending off the relentless beak thing hordes of the south?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

litany of gulps posted:

Who has the more hellish job, a tech hunter ninja guarding Mongrel against swarms of fogmen or an Empire samurai fending off the relentless beak thing hordes of the south?

Guard in Mourn who has to deal with a rampaging Great White Gorillo when some newcomer inevitably unlocks its cage and unleashes hell onto the entire town

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Decided to pick up a solo slave start mod and I'm having a blast being the world's worst slave.

Get my rear end kicked 4 or 5 times a day for sneaking around during my duties picking locks unlocking shackles on other prisoners during day time waking up guards with punches to the head

You fools who let me continue living! I will end all of you soon enough!!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Came in here to post exactly that :allears: The rest of you can keep your Star Wars/waifu/Star Waifu mods, TRVE GAMVRS™ only play with the Baka Things mod!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ugh, that's what happens with meitou, you give it some attention and they start popping out of the woodwork :v:

This was a good joke.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Then you turn the timescale to 3X, turn off your monitor, then do other things / go to sleep, giving it 12 hours or so. Depending on race You’ll end up with strength, labor and athletics in the 60-80 range.

Realtalk, if you're doing this just cheat it in. It's literally the same thing without a self imposed time gate.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kenshi doesn’t have cheats like that, far as I’m aware. There are training task mods you can get which add like “weight racks” that let you train up a stat to a respectable number. The problem with those “cheats” is that you still have to put real hours into doing the task to accrue stats — Kenshi is an extremely grind-happy game, the vast majority of it is built on grind.

Slavery allows you to leave the game unattended to boost stats like nothing else because (1) there are dozens of well-equipped and pre-ground AI soldiers to protect you from random events and (2) you don’t have to worry about food, whereas a dummy-slapping trainee could conceivably suffer from a fatal ED.

So if you want to, say, play a sandbox game without the “juggling eggs” aspect of both settlement building and defense, it’s nice to have a Bane in your pocket.

It does not break the game (it’s one guy) nor does it necessarily even stop you from disrupting all your processes when raiding parties show up. But it does vastly reduce the amount of time you have to wait while bandits run around your emptied town — a raid will end when all its guys get knocked out, and when the “event” is done the enemies will flee after waking.

But I see you getting upset online, and I respect it.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 31, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The mod dev environment is also a save editor and if you're able to affect complex plans like defeating a beak thing you can probably fix your stats to your liking faster than 13 hours later.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I lost a leg and an arm and then starved to death trying to find a place with food. I like this game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

zedprime posted:

The mod dev environment is also a save editor and if you're able to affect complex plans like defeating a beak thing you can probably fix your stats to your liking faster than 13 hours later.
I figured there must be a cheat engine thing out there, but it lacks the rich rewarding irony of enslaving overseers offered by the organic farming method.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Basic Chunnel posted:

But I see you getting upset online, and I respect it.

... Dude i'm just saying save yourself some time, i don't actually care how you play your single player game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
or do you

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Basic Chunnel posted:

I figured there must be a cheat engine thing out there, but it lacks the rich rewarding irony of enslaving overseers offered by the organic farming method.
I was honestly nodding along with your procedure until you said you turn the monitor off.

If you're not even going to second screen it to laugh at the physical comedy of other escapees or the occasional defense and are just going to mine KenshiCoin for 12 hours you can only benefit yourself by learning save editing or even going all out and modding a new start that is your preferred stats in a slavery scenario so you can enslave overseers on demand.

I think there's like a dozen of those you can just download from the workshop but it's probably less rich rewarding irony than if you use one of your KenshiCoins as the basis for a new scenario.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gyoru posted:

This is an up-to-date mod collection I've been using
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2822248814
except with Reactive World instead of Kaizo. I love Kaizo, but have played it to death in previous years

For overhauls you want UWE as a base then you choose 1 of Kaizo, Reactive World, or Living World and their respective UWE compatibility patches. Stay away from Genesis (too all or nothing) and GenMod (outdated and features folded in to other overhauls)

Thank you for this! Those performance patches are incredible. Unfortunately when I installed the mod pack, I keep getting messages about sub-races missing models, and I encounter invisible NPCs.
Would you say that UWE/Kaizo are changes enough? I've played Genesis a bunch, but I feel like it adds too many extra things and the balance feels a bit wonky.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I tried that and all the add ons from nexus the other day, just to mess about, and it kept crashing so uninstalled it all.

Shame as I love a ridiculously modded game.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I think the joy of grinding in Kenshi is that because there’s so much happening in the background, there’s always that possibility that a squad rolls up and starts a fight and chaos breaks out, creating interesting opportunities beyond the grinding.

But it’s a single player game, you do you. Cheat engine works and there’s a good table out there for it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Most of the grinding in Kenshi is pretty painless anyway. Sneak behind hordes of starving bandits and become the god of stealth in an hour. Let some dudes eat your arms and legs off and you're the toughest bastard in the wastes. Carry your buddy's torso back to civilization to up your strength. Easy.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I tried that and all the add ons from nexus the other day, just to mess about, and it kept crashing so uninstalled it all.

Shame as I love a ridiculously modded game.

it really is such a finicky engine, isn't it? I love what the mods add to the game, but I'm well past my days of 'downloading & installing mods IS the game'. I may just try Reactive World or go back to Genesis, since that worked.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Baka things is maybe the first mod I used, it took a couple of game years of messing about for me to actually bump into a beak thing, but my favorite mod so far aside from the janky neir mod, has gotta be clown.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Just use the 2x / 3x skill learning mods

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Power Walrus posted:

Thank you for this! Those performance patches are incredible. Unfortunately when I installed the mod pack, I keep getting messages about sub-races missing models, and I encounter invisible NPCs.
Would you say that UWE/Kaizo are changes enough? I've played Genesis a bunch, but I feel like it adds too many extra things and the balance feels a bit wonky.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/2142406806/7134317381881397585/
Invisible NPCs sounds like a load order issue or incomplete download of the larger mods like UWE. Steam workshop doesn't sort mod load orders especially if you subscribed to the entire collection at once. The Kenshi launcher's mod list sucks too and puts new items at the end of the mod list. I usually open \Kenshi\data\mods.cfg in a text editor (np++) and sort things that way.

UWE is a content expansion. New factions, more realized main factions, new races/subraces, mechanics like fishing, etc.

Kaizo: new world states, new factions, a lot of warring/fighting everywhere. Author has been MIA for years, but the mod is still well regarded.
RW: new world states, but mostly player initiated. Shidan is still around and active.
LW: similar to RW, but goes a step further with factions like UC being able to take over the world.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kenshi/comments/18e9jo5/comments_and_reviews_about_the_genesis_mod/
Genesis is a mess collection of mods from different authors many of whom aren't working on it anymore. I think Genesis stopped development at some point a year or two ago and had to restart with new people. UWE is a single vision from a lone mod author who already had well-received expansion mods before folding those into UWE. TL77 contributed to Genesis at some point too.

load order guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1850250979

vvv lore friendly collection isn't sorted at all

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 31, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Power Walrus posted:

it really is such a finicky engine, isn't it? I love what the mods add to the game, but I'm well past my days of 'downloading & installing mods IS the game'. I may just try Reactive World or go back to Genesis, since that worked.

Oh actually, I got myself confused (I've only been playing a few days but again, can't resist a game you can mod heavily) that mod pack is the one Im currently using.

The one I was trying to get to work previously was the "Lore Friendly RP Experience Collection".

But yeah, it seems quite janky, I like that though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm super stoked to see Baka Things in the wild. The guy who made it is a friend who hasn't been doing the best lately, so I've got something nice to share when he reappears online :unsmith:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Aside from environmental protections, is there any reason why you shouldn't be wearing the heaviest tankiest armor around? I'm trying to do the ol' holy trinity thing where tanks wear the heavy good stuff, the DPS wear the thing that don't have severe stat penalties and ranged wear light armor that gives bonuses to crossbow but whenever my DPS get hit in the chest by, say, an uwu thing or bit in the ankles by a blood spider they get whooped hard. The tanks just laugh off the feeble attacks (well, not so feeble but the damage reduction is very good). The sheer difference between the two seems to be so severe that whatever downsides their are to heavy armor pale in comparison.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jimbot posted:

Aside from environmental protections, is there any reason why you shouldn't be wearing the heaviest tankiest armor around? I'm trying to do the ol' holy trinity thing where tanks wear the heavy good stuff, the DPS wear the thing that don't have severe stat penalties and ranged wear light armor that gives bonuses to crossbow but whenever my DPS get hit in the chest by, say, an uwu thing or bit in the ankles by a blood spider they get whooped hard. The tanks just laugh off the feeble attacks (well, not so feeble but the damage reduction is very good). The sheer difference between the two seems to be so severe that whatever downsides their are to heavy armor pale in comparison.
It's leaving a lot of offensive potential on the table for the least micromanagement.

Ideally you have a pack animal or some squires to pass out the beak thing resistant heavy armor or just such a multitude of characters that your medium armor guys avoid any situation with AOE.

In a humanoid melee the heavy armor guys are going to get worn down if you aren't being offensive enough, as they often have anti heavy weaponry. This is the trinity situation when you have tanks in taunt mode in defense stance and blind side the enemies with your medium armor guys or assassinate a few with light armor ninjas.

Of course if you're still low stats, wearing heavy armor and losing against anti heavy armor humanoids or getting into AOE situations like beak things is usually a good sort of training.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gyoru posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/2142406806/7134317381881397585/
Invisible NPCs sounds like a load order issue or incomplete download of the larger mods like UWE. Steam workshop doesn't sort mod load orders especially if you subscribed to the entire collection at once. The Kenshi launcher's mod list sucks too and puts new items at the end of the mod list. I usually open \Kenshi\data\mods.cfg in a text editor (np++) and sort things that way.

UWE is a content expansion. New factions, more realized main factions, new races/subraces, mechanics like fishing, etc.

Kaizo: new world states, new factions, a lot of warring/fighting everywhere. Author has been MIA for years, but the mod is still well regarded.
RW: new world states, but mostly player initiated. Shidan is still around and active.
LW: similar to RW, but goes a step further with factions like UC being able to take over the world.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kenshi/comments/18e9jo5/comments_and_reviews_about_the_genesis_mod/
Genesis is a mess collection of mods from different authors many of whom aren't working on it anymore. I think Genesis stopped development at some point a year or two ago and had to restart with new people. UWE is a single vision from a lone mod author who already had well-received expansion mods before folding those into UWE. TL77 contributed to Genesis at some point too.

load order guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1850250979

vvv lore friendly collection isn't sorted at all

Ahhh thank you!! I was confused, I thought subbing to the whole collection would also load them in the right order. I’ve started a new game with UWE/RW, but maybe I’ll go back and give that mega pack another go.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
If an armor has more than a 10% stealth malus, I throw it in the bin. Don’t need no damage resistance if you don’t get hit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Optimal, suboptimal? I just don't like all my characters looking the same.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I like the black dustcoats for the anti-slaver look.

I hope Kenshi 2 has advanced clothing physics so you can see dustcoats billowing behind you as you run up and flying kick a bandit's face in

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Good grief. I think I rather deal with beak things than the security spiders. At least beak things give you an opportunity to attack, these spiders attack like two thousand times in a row and hit just as hard. I think I need to start training people in crossbows and hope they kill the spiders before they get close.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That’s the way to do it. They’re pretty easy to kite with one guy while the rest use them for target practice.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Do blood spiders or whatever still amputate a limb after one nibble?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They do hit like trucks, for sure. But they go down in one or two hits easily. Glass cannons.

Edit: Is there a point to shopping counters? I thought I'd build one in a town for funsies and just sell rum but it seems like not a single person bought the stuff. Is there a town in particular that'd buy my swill? Not a huge, immediate concern but I thought it'd be a fun little thing to have.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 2, 2024

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

I like the black dustcoats for the anti-slaver look.

I hope Kenshi 2 has advanced clothing physics so you can see dustcoats billowing behind you as you ninja run and stealth KO an entire bandit raiding party

Fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPeACdLYbDk

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jimbot posted:

They do hit like trucks, for sure. But they go down in one or two hits easily. Glass cannons.

Edit: Is there a point to shopping counters? I thought I'd build one in a town for funsies and just sell rum but it seems like not a single person bought the stuff. Is there a town in particular that'd buy my swill? Not a huge, immediate concern but I thought it'd be a fun little thing to have.

There are mods to make the shopping counter more useful. I haven't tried any of them so maybe someone else can recommend one

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gyoru posted:

except with Reactive World instead of Kaizo. I love Kaizo, but have played it to death in previous years

For overhauls you want UWE as a base then you choose 1 of Kaizo, Reactive World, or Living World and their respective UWE compatibility patches. Stay away from Genesis (too all or nothing) and GenMod (outdated and features folded in to other overhauls)

I ripped out the star wars mods, except for like just one or two for fun. If I understand it right, I can keep the mace windu and yoda mods on and just console command summon them without all the starwars mods, their lightsaber doesn't need to work, they just need to exist.

I am now looking a bit harder and combining a few things. I'm gonna spit out some notes the mod list you gave me (arnhaa's collection) with another that I found: I like the mods that exist to go into a collection list to help communicate general mod load order feng shue. It helps a lot with readability and the document that it links to helps a lot. It is an expression of love by this Atlas guy. I installed RE_Kenshi for the sound replacements. But like I don't wanna go back to get the texture mods or the slope mod. But I should keep those in mind for my second pass at building my constellation of mods. 400+ mods is so much. But I am ready to do a week of selecting and fiddling and testing. I will have to do all the nexus mods as it's own session. SCARaw seems to be a wizard so his mods seem in high regard.

It's all coming back to me.

I picked this one out of the long scroll because I am a husbando, so this must be for me. Vanilla+ for the Husbando - 2024 - By Smop95

It is not entirely for me. I looked at it last night and picked out a couple. It seems lovingly crafted, for someone by someone. I just get to copy. This is an expression of love

This other mod collection just gets it though: Essentials Only - by SCARaw "Version of collection to violently injecting on top of your modlist and hope for the best xD" This too is an expression of love. It's all coming back to me.

Kenshi modding is loving wild, its all coming back to me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gyoru posted:

I downloaded this list, tossed out the 20 or so mods I didn’t want, it works great. I have no idea what the gently caress is happening in kenshi again which is delightful.

Installing the various fix mods from the nexus was extremely easy and takes literally 2 minutes. Rock solid, no crashes.

I’m only about a week in with my shek lady and her dog. Hung around with this kid I rescued for awhile before a skimmer took his leg off. Gave him a lovely prosthetic and a bed at the nearby hive and dismissed him, because no way was I going to carry him across half of the map.

Was really struggling for money as I wandered through the great desert down to the border zone until I found a Tech Hunters way station. There was a guy in the building who will pay you like 1500 cats for a day to guard the settlement while the normal guards take a break, but you get your own goon squad to keep you company for the 24 hours. The pay was a bit poo poo, but letting my buddies gently caress up the enemies while selling their poo poo to the bartender got me a cool 20k cats in no time at all. Just picked up a wandering Hive Prince with almost no skills, and then it’s off to the border areas. No crashes, no bugs, but plenty of good old fashioned kenshi jank.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 3, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know, sometimes you run into a situation that you think will be the end of you. Just reload and maybe not leaving your wandering party in the background while you micro-manage some of your base stuff at double speed. But sometimes you see the tidal wave coming and you just let it play out

I could barely handle two of these things in The Crater a few days ago. Now my party of 7 can do that.

It was some clown car poo poo, I tell you. I down one then three more will come running out of the woodwork. The Unwanted Zone indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Anyone know that mod for S.T.AL.K.E.R called azazel mode i think? If you died you just jumped into another random characters body and carried on.I always wanted something like that for Kenshi.