Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I know astringency well, but I rarely get much of it even with really muddy pourovers. Might have something to do with my technique. I do find that a lot of coffees lose their fruity notes and juicyness if I go too fine; becoming good but kind of generic coffee.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Have you ever considered doing a cupping session of different grind settings so you can try them side by side? Should be a pretty quick and easy way to compare and contrast while keeping all other variables the same.

For dialing in espresso, I often dial in new beans by doing 3 shots at the same grind at a ratio of 1:2. 1:2.5 and 1:3 shots and seeing which I prefer.

The salami poo poo method is another fun way to better understand sour vs bitter:

https://youtu.be/_yIpi5KPUys?si=wwDsggkLB5iZAUDq

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 31, 2024

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I guess the df54 is on the way. I am half tempted to get one even though I absolutely will not need one in march unless I want to have dedicated grinders for espresso/filter as well as one for decaf. One is a hand grinder, but still....

Well that and the hand grinder I have at the office lol

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Corb3t posted:

Have you ever considered doing a cupping session of different grind settings so you can try them side by side? Should be a pretty quick and easy way to compare and contrast while keeping all other variables the same.

Tried doing a cupping session with a washed Ethiopian. 1:16 ratio. The cups were 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 on my Sculptor 078. The differences were relatively subtle. I felt like all of them were pretty watery compared to the hybrid percolation/immersion technique I use with my Switch.

12 was the most acidic, not undrinkably so, but it felt less balanced than 10 and 8 which I preferred, but couldn't distinguish between. 6 had the most unpleasant bitterness, surprisingly slightly more so than 4.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

About to run out of my Hario v60 papers. What are the ones the thread likes? Alita or something? I only make pourover with light roast. Thanks!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

About to run out of my Hario v60 papers. What are the ones the thread likes? Alita or something? I only make pourover with light roast. Thanks!

I used to recommend the roast specific ones that Cafec produced, but they changed the recipe on those a while back, and they turned to poo poo. I just use the standard Hario v60 filters now, specifically the boxed ones made in the factory in Japan.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Gunder posted:

I used to recommend the roast specific ones that Cafec produced, but they changed the recipe on those a while back, and they turned to poo poo. I just use the standard Hario v60 filters now, specifically the boxed ones made in the factory in Japan.

I don't think those boxed Japanese ones exist anymore. Or at least when you buy them now, you get a tabbed filter.

I ordered 300 of these Cafec filters directly from their storefront.

I originally was going to try one pack, but the shipping was kind of expensive and each time I clicked "checkout" it offered me another pack of 100 at a discounted price.

https://cafecusa.com/collections/frontpage/products/cafec-abaca-coffee-paper-filter-for-specialty-coffee

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I don't think those boxed Japanese ones exist anymore. Or at least when you buy them now, you get a tabbed filter.

I ordered 300 of these Cafec filters directly from their storefront.

I originally was going to try one pack, but the shipping was kind of expensive and each time I clicked "checkout" it offered me another pack of 100 at a discounted price.

https://cafecusa.com/collections/frontpage/products/cafec-abaca-coffee-paper-filter-for-specialty-coffee

So are the ones from Cafec you ordered actually good or do they have the problem that Gunder mentioned?

I usually order from 8ounce, this is their filters page. Looks like they don't carry much besides the Hario papers.

e: looks like Rogue has these actually. Any good?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

VelociBacon posted:

So are the ones from Cafec you ordered actually good or do they have the problem that Gunder mentioned?

I usually order from 8ounce, this is their filters page. Looks like they don't carry much besides the Hario papers.

e: looks like Rogue has these actually. Any good?

I'm not sure what trouble Gunder was having, but I didn't like the flow rate in the updated tabbed filter, and the Cafec filters I linked behaved like the Japanese v60 tablets filters I was familiar with.

A user in this thread mentioned that they didn't like those other specialized filters like the "light roast" filter you shared. I think they said the flow rate was very slow.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I'm not sure what trouble Gunder was having, but I didn't like the flow rate in the updated tabbed filter, and the Cafec filters I linked behaved like the Japanese v60 tablets filters I was familiar with.

A user in this thread mentioned that they didn't like those other specialized filters like the "light roast" filter you shared. I think they said the flow rate was very slow.

Interesting, well I just put the order in so I'll share my experience. They were only 10bux. I've only ever used the Hario v60 papers so it'll be interesting to compare.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I found and I'm about to pick up a used Izzo Alex Duetto ii this weekend. If this doesn't gently caress me, my search for a dual boiler flow control machine is over.

Here's to hope.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:monocle:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

2020 was a good vintage with nice notes of burnt carbonized steel pans

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

If they drink it all the time, why do they still have 16 bags from four years ago? :thunk:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

404notfound posted:

If they drink it all the time, why do they still have 16 bags from four years ago? :thunk:

They stole a truck and had 1,000 bags.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

tl;dw: at least for three setups, blind shakers with the little "lift to release chute thing" (Weber Workshops Blind Shaker) were far and away better than WDT.

First video isn't very realistic to most home setups, so he did a second one.

https://youtu.be/OyUaCuoqYWc?si=iimN-Zv0wp9ATZjD

Second is also nowhere near my equipment but I think it proves this isn't a niche (lol) finding.

https://youtu.be/5ivwCm95nLc?si=d-AlYj14IO1Ts2JK

Only thing it'll possibly change about my routine - I will probably shake in the catch cup before putting in the portafilter. I don't have the $78 even release chute, so I won't get the main benefit, but trapping fines and breaking clumps sound like cool things to futz around with, and that's 90% of espresso for me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805698056882.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.32d0f19c5c6Usz&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Price fluctuates between $12-20, but here you go.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you really want to go nuts with pour over filter experimentation, if you folda basket filter into quarters and open it like a chemex filter it fits nicely into a v60

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks! I'm on Flair 45.5mm for now, so I'm out of luck there. Still cool to see this sort of thing.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I bought a shower screen for my Silvia and it has a pair of small holes at the edge which the original screen does not have. While it fits and shots seem to pull fine, I am wondering what these gizmos are.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It’s just occurred to me that having to pretty much always be one step away from the finest setting on my Baratza Vario to get good extraction numbers probably means the burrs need replacing right? Different brand beans don’t seem to make much difference either.

They would be at least 5 years old and we make about 5-10 coffees per week.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

It’s just occurred to me that having to pretty much always be one step away from the finest setting on my Baratza Vario to get good extraction numbers probably means the burrs need replacing right? Different brand beans don’t seem to make much difference either.

At 20g per drink, 10 drinks a week for 5 years, that’s around 50kg of coffee. The burrs in the vario should be good for hundreds of kilos, conservatively, so yours should have plenty of life left.

Grind setting doesn’t matter. Light roasts are harder and will wear the burrs more but not enough to significantly reduce the life.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Red_Fred posted:

When did you last calibrate it? That tiny hex key on the metal round bit is used to adjust the spacing of the burrs. There’s a procedure on the Baratza website to readjust it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

hypnophant posted:

At 20g per drink, 10 drinks a week for 5 years, that’s around 50kg of coffee. The burrs in the vario should be good for hundreds of kilos, conservatively, so yours should have plenty of life left.

Grind setting doesn’t matter. Light roasts are harder and will wear the burrs more but not enough to significantly reduce the life.

Yeah the grinder is actually way older than that, we got it from my partner's brother so I have no idea how old the burrs are TBF.

Snapshot posted:

When did you last calibrate it? That tiny hex key on the metal round bit is used to adjust the spacing of the burrs. There’s a procedure on the Baratza website to readjust it.

I did not know this was a thing, I'll check it out thanks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

In addition you may just need to set it to grind finer on the low end instead. You’ll lose coarseness in the upper end but that sounds like it’ll be fine.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I clicked that, it said £9. Went to add to cart, saw I wasn't logged in, logged in and it jumped to £13.

MustacheNet
Dec 26, 2011

Corb3t posted:

The salami poo poo method is another fun way to better understand sour vs bitter:

Did the method in the video, interesting, not sure how much it helps but very interesting to taste during extraction.

Also, would like to see salami poo poo in the thread title.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
After more than a decade of making all my coffee with my Chemex, I'm finally looking for something a little quicker. It takes more than twice as long to brew a finely ground cup than a coarse ground. I need something that can make me 20-30 ounces, no more. I don't really want to invest in a drip machine - but I don't know where to start with Moka pots or anything else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Consider a metal filter for the chemex. Those paper filters are super thick and drain slowly.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For 1-2 people, I love my Flair, but that's not the kind of brewing you're after. If I have 3+ guests, it's French Press With Paper Filter time! I follow Lance's guide, which is basically grind just a touch coarser than espresso, then 195°F / 90°C at 15:1 ratio. Wait 1 minute then press slowly, like 2 minutes to go the full depth. Ends up being very fast due to the fine grind, very clean and fast. It's a bit too hot at that point but decanting into a room temperature mug it ends up drinking temperature pretty quick, instantly if you add dairy.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Mu Zeta posted:

Consider a metal filter for the chemex. Those paper filters are super thick and drain slowly.

I had no idea this was a thing! The Able Kone seems to be a winner, I'll go with that.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Depending on your filter and how good your grinder is you might end up with your cups getting a bit muddy as superfines sneak through - the metal filter that came with* something that I bought usually yields a good bit of muck at the bottom of a pourover

* yes I know this is immediately an indictment of quality but it's still something to stay aware of

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Depending on your filter and how good your grinder is you might end up with your cups getting a bit muddy as superfines sneak through - the metal filter that came with* something that I bought usually yields a good bit of muck at the bottom of a pourover

* yes I know this is immediately an indictment of quality but it's still something to stay aware of

this is just something you have to accept with metal filters, they're coarser than paper filters and you will never get as clean a cup. it's not an indictment of quality, just a tradeoff

Red Crown posted:

After more than a decade of making all my coffee with my Chemex, I'm finally looking for something a little quicker. It takes more than twice as long to brew a finely ground cup than a coarse ground. I need something that can make me 20-30 ounces, no more. I don't really want to invest in a drip machine - but I don't know where to start with Moka pots or anything else.

if you find you don't like the (lack of) clarity of a metal filter, you might try a v60. with the standard boxed hario filters from amazon, mine finishes drawdown in under 3 minutes. $20 gets you the cone and a box of filters so the investment is low.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Fun fact, paper filters also change the coffee by absorbing some of the oils in the coffee. Even with identical coarseness filtering between metal and paper, you'll see a difference in the cup.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

For speedy decent coffee I’ll always recommend the clever dripper. It’s almost foolproof and pretty quick, has a benefit over a v60 or chemex that you don’t have to be there physically pouring during the brew time.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if I ever buy new brewing equipment, a clever or switch is next in line

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ulvir posted:

if I ever buy new brewing equipment, a clever or switch is next in line

Both are good, but the flaws are:
- clever has to have the right size cup to sit on to open the valve
- switch has a protruding portion into where it sits on a cup and therefore gets wet if you brew the cup to capacity, leading to drips when you remove it

I know these are minor, but they annoy me so FWIW...

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I want to know if I'm doing something wrong with backflushing my Profitec Pro 400. I feel like I do everything as normal - put a spoon of cafiza in the blind basket, put the filter in, run and release it a few times and then rinse it out. My problem is that every time I do this it seems to result in the lever squeaking until I disassemble and re-lubricate the cam with silicone grease. Is it expected that I'd have to re-lubricate every time I backflush?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Snapshot posted:

Did this today and it had never been done, was super easy. Turns out I’ve got the steel burrs though. Aren’t the ceramic better for espresso?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Is it expected that I'd have to re-lubricate every time I backflush?

Yes. Backflushing with cleaner strips the lubricant.