Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

DemihumanResources posted:

Don't skip legume day

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

DemihumanResources posted:

Don't skip legume day

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Morbus posted:

Don't be silly.

The oil burned by intelligent life 200 million years from now will come from all the dead biomass buried during the climate apocalypse caused the oil we burned. That's the real cycle.
https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...ical-record.pdf

i heard that oil cant be replenished because it all formed before a particular type of organism evolved, i forget which one, that would eat up all that dead biomass before it could become oil. but i hear a lot of dumb stuff

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

i heard that oil cant be replenished because it all formed before a particular type of organism evolved, i forget which one, that would eat up all that dead biomass before it could become oil. but i hear a lot of dumb stuff

it turns out its man

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Real hurthling! posted:

Decomposers in general, and lignin was the thing that would just sit around and get buried.

Although isn't most fossil fuel buried remains of plankton and algae?

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

skooma512 posted:

Decomposers in general, and lignin was the thing that would just sit around and get buried.

Although isn't most fossil fuel buried remains of plankton and algae?

Pretty much it's algae and (IIRC) some types of old aquatic fern ended up in a lot of crude oil.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

To further the answers of half remembered science, I think it's the trees lignin as mentioned that couldn't be broken down yet which resulted in the formation of coal deposits.

Oil comes from like whatever I dunno, definitely dinosaurs that didn't have feathers were a big part of it though :)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
it's true, the world is being depleted of ligna

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Laterite posted:

it's true, the world is being depleted of ligna

What's "depleted"?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Deplete deez nutz lol gottem

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

lignin balls

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Hardly knew'im

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The trees turned into coal. So whatever future thing wont have as many close to surface coal seams to exploit as a kickstart for industrialism. We still have peat bogs and wetlands that can potentially turn into more coal though.

If they survive climate change :v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The trees turned into coal. So whatever future thing wont have as many close to surface coal seams to exploit as a kickstart for industrialism. We still have peat bogs and wetlands that can potentially turn into more coal though.

If they survive climate change :v:

If they survive Keskustapuolue.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Real hurthling! posted:

that's coal not oil iirc?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lignite? More like ligmight...

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It’s bad enough when people start talking about future generations let alone hypothetical future industrial civilizations. Focus, people, we’re only two months shy of Q2

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s bad enough when people start talking about future generations let alone hypothetical future industrial civilizations. Focus, people, we’re only two months shy of Q2

Hey they don't have to come from Earth, could just be some dudes stopping by to stripmine all the carbon out of the planet to refuel their fleet or whatever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Stroggification for everyone!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
строг икономика

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the Seattle thread:

tokin opposition posted:

Angela Hession has worked in the mostly-male, mostly-white video game industry for more than two decades and is now the chief customer trust officer at the Amazon-owned streaming platform Twitch. She wants to diversify the gaming workforce and found a new private school to partner with to make progress toward that goal.

“The stark reality is that our efforts to diversify the tech industry need to begin well before college,” Hession told the Business Journal. “Actively recruiting women and people from underrepresented communities in high school is not just beneficial; it's essential.”

Twitch is one of 30 local companies partnering with Cristo Rey Jesuit Seattle High School which will welcome its first 9th grade class of 100 students this summer. The school — one of 40 nationwide — offers a low-cost college preparatory education to students with limited economic resources. What sets Cristo Rey apart from other private Catholic schools is its work study program. Students are in class four days a week, and then spend one full day at a partnering company through all four years of high school.

“It has the magic pieces of business and philanthropy,” said Katie Seltzer, vice president of corporate work study at CRJS.

To date, CRJS has secured nearly $5 million in philanthropic pledges and more than 30 corporate work study partners, including Twitch, Microsoft, T-Mobile and Costco, among others. When Cristo Rey reaches full enrollment, expected in the 2027-2028 school year, 50% of the cost of the education will come from the work study program, 40% from fundraising and 10% will be collected as tuition from the families of enrolled students.

The school will operate on the campus of St. Paul Parish in Seattle’s Rainier Beach neighborhood, surrounded by some of the most diverse zip codes in the state. Students do not have to be Catholic to apply to the school. At least two-thirds of incoming students will be from families qualifying for free and reduced-price lunch.

The Cristo Rey work study program operates like a temporary employment agency within the school. Corporate partners pay the program a fee to hire students for work. The fee is based on a one-year salary that’s prorated over the 10 months a student works at the company and includes a 30% overhead charge to pay for the student’s transportation, worker’s compensation insurance and payroll costs. The program fee also covers a portion of the cost of tuition for the student.

But Cristo Rey believes work study does more than just pay for tuition.

“When a ninth grader starts with us and gets to explore an opportunity at a big business, they’re exposed much earlier to adults who are investing in their future,” Seltzer said.

A feasibility committee of roughly 40 volunteers — educators, business leaders and South King County parish leaders — worked for over two years studying the need and potential support for a Cristo Rey school in Seattle. It will be the first new school to open in the Seattle Archdiocese since Seattle Nativity middle school which opened in 2013. The last high school to open in the archdiocese was Pope John Paul II in Lacey in 2010.

Seltzer said when CRJS got approved to open and they started telling families about the school. “We met students who jumped out of their chairs with excitement.”

Hession found out about Cristo Rey through her family, outside the context of work. When she pitched the work study program to Twitch HR[CD5], she got a surprisingly welcome reception.

“My human resources partner at Twitch is an ICA Cristo Rey Academy (San Francisco) alum, which was a fortunate coincidence,” Hession said. “This encounter was a tangible testament to the program's effectiveness and its full-circle impact.”

Hession is now part of CRJS’s corporate work study board, which is actively recruiting more companies to partner with. The school is now accepting applications for fall enrollment.

Editor's note: this story was updated to correct the spelling of the school's name in the caption of a photo.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My apartment complex was abruptly sold by its current rich person holding company to a new rich person holding company, giving us like 4 days of warning. The old holding company yanked out all the online services as they left (even the domain name goes nowhere already, and the sale only became official today) and so we were told to pay our rent in person with a check or money order this month, since the new people haven't set up an online payment system yet. Fine, whatever, I dig out my checkbook and go up to the office to ask them how much I owe (since the water bill gets rolled into it so I don't know the exact number) and... they can't tell me. They also fired all the old management staff and disabled the office computer systems, so the new people managing the office don't have access to any of the computers and even if they did the service that kept track of that stuff is down anyway. Obviously this is my problem.

The answer they gave was "just pay what you paid last month" so I'm looking forward to the late payment fee due to using a dollar more water in January than December or whatever.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

My apartment complex was abruptly sold by its current rich person holding company to a new rich person holding company, giving us like 4 days of warning. The old holding company yanked out all the online services as they left (even the domain name goes nowhere already, and the sale only became official today) and so we were told to pay our rent in person with a check or money order this month, since the new people haven't set up an online payment system yet. Fine, whatever, I dig out my checkbook and go up to the office to ask them how much I owe (since the water bill gets rolled into it so I don't know the exact number) and... they can't tell me. They also fired all the old management staff and disabled the office computer systems, so the new people managing the office don't have access to any of the computers and even if they did the service that kept track of that stuff is down anyway. Obviously this is my problem.

The answer they gave was "just pay what you paid last month" so I'm looking forward to the late payment fee due to using a dollar more water in January than December or whatever.

You should have demanded those instructions in writing. I would send them an email saying "per your employee's instructions, I payed the same amount I paid last month."

Management companies are the worst.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ham Equity posted:

Management companies are the worst.

Yeah, I once got a 3 day pay-or-quit because the management company made a whoopsie and forgot to log my rent payment in quickbooks or whatever and the actual owners meanwhile also couldn't be bothered to keep track of who they cashed checks from or their account balances.
Of course the onus was on me, first to provide the canceled check/bank record that showed I had paid rent thst month, then "Oh we assumed that check was for the previous month, since you missed that one!"
I then had to produce the proof that they had indeed cashed that check as well, and again for the month before. Naturally there was no penalty for their mistake, but if I hadn't responded and taken care of the whole thing in 3 days (and only during the business hours they were available) they would have been able to start evicting me -and the management company did mention the owners had authorized that.

For the record, I had never been late, let alone missed a rent payment when I was there. Though they did fail to properly update their records for 3 months after a roommate moved out/I stopped needing an extra parking space, so they issued another pay or quit over shortpaying for that parking spot.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Feb 1, 2024

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shame Boy posted:

I just checked my records, and last month you paid 32 dollars. Congrats.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, I once got a 3 day pay-or-quit because the management company made a whoopsie and forgot to log my rent payment in quickbooks or whatever and the actual owners meanwhile also couldn't be bothered to keep track of who they cashed checks from or their account balances.
Of course the onus was on me, first to provide the canceled check/bank record that showed I had paid rent thst month, then "Oh we assumed that check was for the previous month, since you missed that one!"
I then had to produce the proof that they had indeed cashed that check as well, and again for the month before. Naturally there was no penalty for their mistake, but if I hadn't responded and taken care of the whole thing in 3 days (and only during the business hours they were available) they would have been able to start evicting me -and the management company did mention the owners had authorized that.

For the record, I had never been late, let alone missed a rent payment when I was there. Though they did fail to properly update their records for 3 months after a roommate moved out/I stopped needing an extra parking space, so they issued another pay or quit over shortpaying for that parking spot.
How horribly, horribly naive am I being when I say lawyers oughta be able to make a living just suing for this poo poo on contingency

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

I once got a $50 ten-day pay-or-quit for dumping furniture during a time when neither I nor my roommate were home. The loving manager put it on my door on a Friday afternoon, then when I pointed out neither of us were home then, she said "I'll check the video when I'm back in the office on Monday." Why the gently caress didn't you check the video before putting the notice on my door?

And I think the answer is "because why not roll the dice on you just paying it instead of fighting it?"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Coolness Averted posted:

Get it in writing from them. Take nothing in verbally to mean anything at all. If you are in a one party consent state use your phone to covertly record them in face to face communications (if you have to have them). Check your lease and pay the amount that your rent is. If they did not give you a detail of extra utility charges for this period then they cannot come at you for it (for now); your lease likely sates the monthly rent charge and then a variable utility charge--pay anything with a specific stated amount. Indicate willingness to pay other charges but not having an invoice for what those chargws would be. They will need to otherwise prove that they communicated this to you. If this is going to last longer than a month you need to make communications by certified mail to make sure that you have a record that they received a letter/check/whatever.

Separately: I always interact with landlords like this and always get my full deposit back without lawyer involvement.

The Sean has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Feb 2, 2024

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The Islamic Shock posted:

How horribly, horribly naive am I being when I say lawyers oughta be able to make a living just suing for this poo poo on contingency

Depends on state, but this episode was also a "come home from work Friday to find a 3 day notice to correct the issue or face eviction" Funny how those get posted on Fridays, huh? It got me looking into California's tenant rights and with the exception of unlawful eviction/self remedy the landlord basically has to be in contempt of court to face any consequence other than being forced to honor the lease.

I'd similarly had a landlord fail to produce a properly itemized list of deductions and replacement schedule for deposit withholdings. A slam dunk and clear violation of the law. What was I owed? Well, if I filed the small claims case and spent a day in court they'd be given another window to provide the complete documents, and if they failed after that they'd simply owe the balance withheld.
Wouldn't you know? The landlord illegally withheld just a little over the filing fee -and far less than I'd lose missing a day of work.
It's also worth noting that many judges are landlords and frequently side with slumlords even when they're in clear violation of the law, another weird coincidence, huh?

E: All of The Sean's advice is very good, and how I generally handle stuff like this. Always communicate in writing. Now that I'm better off and have a white collar job, landlords also don't try to gently caress me over as much as when I was a poor kid -another interesting coincidence, huh?

I've also noticed an increasing number of managed properties have also done their best to make it hard to properly communicate with them in ways you can keep legal documentation of. Such as only having webforms -not email addresses, or having you drop off checks at an onsite box or office instead of having an address where certified mail can be sent.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Feb 2, 2024

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Sean posted:

Get it in writing from them. Take nothing in verbally to mean anything at all. If you are in a one party consent state use your phone to covertly record them in face to face communications (if you have to have them). Check your lease and pay the amount that your rent is. If they did not give you a detail of extra utility charges for this period then they cannot come at you for it (for now); your lease likely sates the monthly rent charge and then a variable utility charge--pay anything with a specific stated amount. Indicate willingness to pay other charges but not having an invoice for what those chargws would be. They will need to otherwise prove that they communicated this to you. If this is going to last longer than a month you need to make communications by certified mail to make sure that you have a record that they received a letter/check/whatever.

Separately: I always interact with landlords like this and always get my full deposit back without lawyer involvement.

I don't get my deposit back but I also absolutely leave the place loving trashed so like, it's fine.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Shame Boy posted:

I don't get my deposit back but I also absolutely leave the place loving trashed so like, it's fine.

Oh, yeah. I don't do poo poo (wouldn't say i trash the place; im clean but they could otherwise nickle/dime me) but I know exactly how they can legally charge me and they fail.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Just read these two articles back to back and blood started coming out of my eyes for no reason

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-02-06/-money-dysmorphia-traps-millennials-and-gen-zers

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-homelessness-hits-historic-levels-203323435.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lmao.

quote:

A scarcity mentality is a valid way to experience the world. An upbringing in which finances were tight will have a lifelong impact on how one thinks about and interacts with money. The trouble with money dysmorphia is that it can distort the thinking of someone whose lived experience is not one of scarcity but of stability.

This is not to suggest that all Gen Zers and millennials were raised in financially stable homes and have continued to a comfortable, middle-class existence. Both generations have been dealt blows in terms of experiencing “once in a lifetime” or “generation-defining” events at young ages. So perhaps it isn't surprising that more than 40% of both generations report having money dysmorphia and 48% of Gen Z say they feel behind financially and 59% of millennials feel the same.

These darn millennials / zoomers have no true lived experience of scarcity! Well except for the financial crisis and then covid, but other than those teeny tiny things, nothing!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Lmao.

These darn millennials / zoomers have no true lived experience of scarcity! Well except for the financial crisis and then covid, but other than those teeny tiny things, nothing!

the actual survey commentary is so cursed i think i might be getting attacked by a werewolf later because i read it

https://www.creditkarma.com/about/c...oney-dysmorphia

quote:

According to a new study conducted by Qualtrics on behalf of Intuit Credit Karma, 29% of Americans experience money dysmorphia. For the purposes of this survey, money dysmorphia is defined as having a distorted view of one’s finances that could lead them to make poor decisions. This problem was much more pronounced among younger generations with 43% of Gen Z and 41% of millennials saying they experience money dysmorphia, compared to 25% of Gen X and just 14% of respondents aged 59 or above.

Of those who experience money dysmorphia, 82% say they feel behind on their finances. That’s compared to 29% of respondents who don’t struggle with the same financial insecurity. Zooming out, nearly half (48%) of Gen Z and 59% of millennials say they feel behind financially, likely contributing to feelings of financial inadequacy. While many admit to feeling behind, 59% of respondents also report feeling financially stable, demonstrating the distortion between one’s perception of their financial stability and the reality of their situation.

37% of respondents who experience money dysmorphia reported having more than $10,000 in savings with 23% of those having more than $30,000 in savings. That’s well above the median amount of savings for Americans, which hovers around $5,300. However, respondents who do not suffer from money dysmorphia were more likely to have savings – and more of it. According to the study, 52% of Americans without money dysmorphia have more than $10,000 in savings. Of those, 32% have more than $50,000 saved.

It's a house, Michael. How much could it cost? Five thousand three hundred dollars?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Perhaps there is some sort of correlation between "not being anxious about money" and "having $50,000 in your savings account"... No it's the children who are wrong.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Obviously all those people who are anxious about money with no valid reason just need to stop buying the darn starbucks coffees and save up $50,000, there is absolutely nothing besides individual responsibility at play here.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Old: "you have a refrigerator, you can't be poor"

New: "if you have more than $5k to your name you're actually a temporarily embarrassed millionaire and it's a mental illness if you feel like you aren't one, seek therapy"

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Maybe it has something to do with 5k being roughly how much it cost to move into a 2br apt. So it's the minimum amount needed to not be homeless if your landlord decides to kick you out.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

People keep saying they're poor and starving but I'm neither poor nor starving so they must have some kind of mental disease. Should probably get that poo poo checked out guy :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dismorphia as a term makes no sense for a quantity right?