Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

teens definitely use snapchat still, my 15 year old nephew and his dumbass friends use it all the time (including to buy booze and vapes from shady people)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

idk why people think nobody uses snapchat anymore

ok this is 2 years old but I doubt it’s changed significantly

i’m willing to be proven wrong but I work with a bunch of people from 17-23 and they all use it. some as the primary chat app, some just occasionally, I don’t think anyone of them don’t have it at all. maybe it’s a locale thing and people elsewhere in the world use something else. I don’t really like it but there’s a few people I know and between me and them it’s the only way we communicate

i doubt many people in that age range still use twitter

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Captain Foo posted:

she got what she deserved

I actually don't know if it was any worse than just posting anime and eating 6ers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I actually don't know if it was any worse than just posting anime and eating 6ers

she said she was glad my dog died and called my wife a mail-order bride because she's korean

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eeyo posted:

i'm the 5% of teens unpoisoned by youtube
That 5% is probably just homeschooled teens with crazy parents that don't allow them to have any contact with the outside world

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

she said she was glad my dog died and called my wife a mail-order bride because she's korean

smoka was Korean???

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i think its a shame she went out the way she went out but i'm glad she's gone. Just an unpleasant person from start to finish.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zuck and snapchat spiegel reportedly personally apologized to the families in the gallery at the hearing. gratifying but it doesn't mean much. not sure if it would have any bearing in a future suit.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

smoka was Korean???

no, using her own description smoka is canadian white trash

my wife is korean and we got married while she was here on a student visa (to get her master's from pratt, it's not like she was at some community college getting an associate's degree or some poo poo). but smoka is a racist, so she called my wife a mail-order bride

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

no, from her own description smoka is canadian white trash

my wife is korean and we got married while she was here on a student visa (to get her master's from pratt, it's not like she was at some community college getting an associate's degree or some poo poo). smoka is racist, so she called my wife a mail-order bride

wow what the gently caress

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Branch Nvidian posted:

she really, really doesn't like me, or my wife, or my pets, for some reason

idk why, but i also don't particularly care or even really want to talk about it. i don't dwell on it or miss her at all, and my only reminder of her existence is usually someone advocating for her return

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

i thought snapchat was a hookup app until like 2019.

instagram is a cocaine delivery service and i refuse to believe otherwise

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Branch Nvidian posted:

some people's miserable, terrible circumstances cause them to become miserable and terrible themselves, and smoka "kindness is a fake idea" dust bowl was one such person

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

i doubt many people in that age range still use twitter

probably but the trend (p<0.0002) already indicates that

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

teens definitely use snapchat still, my 15 year old nephew and his dumbass friends use it all the time (including to buy booze and vapes from shady people)

dropkicks straight up just post pics of weed as their stories to let people know they’re holding

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

:yikes:

e: not you echi but the can of worms I inadvertently opened because I didn't know the detail

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

:yikes:

e: not you echi but the can of worms I inadvertently opened because I didn't know the detail

way to go rear end in a top hat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Midjack posted:

zuck and snapchat spiegel reportedly personally apologized to the families in the gallery at the hearing. gratifying but it doesn't mean much. not sure if it would have any bearing in a future suit.

they played a clip of it on the radio on the way home and both my wife and i burst out laughing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it had big 3rd grade teacher "now zucc, say you're sorry to everyone for ruining the class field trip to the zoo" energy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like to be clear it wasn't at all spontaneous and didn't feel "personal" at all, they were explicitly told to do it and did

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

way to go rear end in a top hat

:negative:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Shame Boy posted:

it had big 3rd grade teacher "now zucc, say you're sorry to everyone for ruining the class field trip to the zoo" energy

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
remember when snap made their own drone?

no?

well they did. and now if you are one of the 71K people who bought one, you should immediately stop using it and send it back for a refund because it's a fire hazard

quote:

Snap gave up on its Pixy flying selfie camera drone after just four months, but it turns out the company sold under 71,000 drones — and now the company is recalling every one of those drones because their batteries pose a fire hazard. Yes, the entire drone is being recalled, not just the removable battery, likely because Snap doesn’t make those batteries anymore.

Snap and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission say you should “immediately stop using the Pixy Flying Camera, remove the battery and stop charging it” now that there have been four reports of the battery bulging, one fire, and one “minor injury.”

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

more like snap, crackle and pop drone!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

sorry about those 3rd degree burns but you got some sick snaps out of it bro

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

remember when snap made their own drone?

no?

i do actually

i don't know why my brain held on to that knowledge but it did

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Snap's whole "make a limited run device so that people will remember to use Snapchat" phase was a really weird one. I knew a couple of people who got the glasses they made, and they used the for about 1 week before completely forgetting about them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

justice for smoka

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Snap's whole "make a limited run device so that people will remember to use Snapchat" phase was a really weird one. I knew a couple of people who got the glasses they made, and they used the for about 1 week before completely forgetting about them.

yeah I know a guy that had them, I only saw them once then he quit all social media which idk if was related or not

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

raminasi posted:

this suggests that you might want to take some kind of very structured class where the instructor is telling you exactly what to do for most of it and you're just learning/practicing technique. it won't "make you creative" but it will give you opportunities to explore media without getting paralyzed by indecision. you'll either have fun, or you won't, and both would be useful to know.
I’ve had a hard time finding this kind of thing, because the nature of artistic stuff like this is “just do what you want, it will be great!” when I’m looking for direction to help me figure out what it is that I want. even on the stem side of things, I barely scraped by a lot of classes, because of “just do an open ended project on whatever, and that will be your grade”. why am I coming to class if not to actually get something from the instructor?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

we already discussed this

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
smoka could be an rear end in a top hat but she had a good unique perspective on a lot of stuff too

well. that's my story

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im not really sure it was that unique, except maybe the parts where she took joy in the death of other peoples pets, that was pretty unique.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

she drove elle off for months

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

The Fool posted:

she drove elle off for months

yes this was awful and bad :smith:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think there's much point in arguing about it. She's not permabanned so she can come back if she wants to as long as she can manage to not be an rear end in a top hat.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Radia posted:

smoka could be an rear end in a top hat but she had a good unique perspective on a lot of stuff too

have you never met a voluntary crust punk or something lol

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I’m reading Rifters by Peter Watts from 99, and he’s got a pretty good bit about machine learning type stuff (he calls it smart gel).

"I hope the lifter pilot doesn't get too bored." Jarvis is all chummy again.
"There is no pilot. It's a smart gel."
"Really? You don't say." Jarvis frowns. "Those are scary things, those gels. You know one suffocated a bunch of people in London a while back?"
Yes, Joel's about to say, but Jarvis is back in spew mode. "No poo poo. It was running the subway system over there, perfect operational record, and then one day it just forgets to crank up the ventilators when it's supposed to. Train slides into station fifteen meters underground, everybody gets out, no air, boom."
Joel's heard this before. The punchline's got something to do with a broken clock, if he remembers it right.
"These things teach themselves from experience, right?," Jarvis continues. "So everyone just assumed it had learned to cue the ventilators on something obvious. Body heat, motion, CO2 levels, you know. Turns out instead it was watching a clock on the wall. Train arrival correlated with a predictable subset of patterns on the digital display, so it started the fans whenever it saw one of those patterns."
"Yeah. That's right." Joel shakes his head. "And vandals had smashed the clock, or something."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so true

mystes
May 31, 2006

Who can blame the smart gel for watching the clock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i'm not super into posting about posters but smoka was literally the worst thing about yospos for a long time. i used to think wow this place is perking up that's nice and id realize she was on a week probe or something

Enderzero posted:

I’m reading Rifters by Peter Watts from 99, and he’s got a pretty good bit about machine learning type stuff (he calls it smart gel).

"I hope the lifter pilot doesn't get too bored." Jarvis is all chummy again.
"There is no pilot. It's a smart gel."
"Really? You don't say." Jarvis frowns. "Those are scary things, those gels. You know one suffocated a bunch of people in London a while back?"
Yes, Joel's about to say, but Jarvis is back in spew mode. "No poo poo. It was running the subway system over there, perfect operational record, and then one day it just forgets to crank up the ventilators when it's supposed to. Train slides into station fifteen meters underground, everybody gets out, no air, boom."
Joel's heard this before. The punchline's got something to do with a broken clock, if he remembers it right.
"These things teach themselves from experience, right?," Jarvis continues. "So everyone just assumed it had learned to cue the ventilators on something obvious. Body heat, motion, CO2 levels, you know. Turns out instead it was watching a clock on the wall. Train arrival correlated with a predictable subset of patterns on the digital display, so it started the fans whenever it saw one of those patterns."
"Yeah. That's right." Joel shakes his head. "And vandals had smashed the clock, or something."

very 'the computer is picking up on the wrong thing in the ct image' energy