Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Anytime someone asks me what a book is about i say "250 pages or so"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Anytime someone asks me what a book is about i say "250 pages or so"

thanks, stealing this

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ulvir posted:

the whole self-imposed infantilisation is literally the worst part of our generation. (any adult born between 1980 and 1996)

says ever generation that has ever existed, ever

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

It's basically the only constant in human historiography: "hey these young people are such babies, let me tell you what it was like"

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Are there any really good stories written by adults about how Kids These Days are actually great and adults are total fuckup squares?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Are there any really good stories written by adults about how Kids These Days are actually great and adults are total fuckup squares?

On The Road?

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I just finished reading Greek Myths - Tanglewood Tales by Hawthorne to my son. Anyone else check this one out? Its got a bunch of great classics that I've heard of but never read before. The Gorgon's Head is the story of Medusa and how Quicksilver helps Pericles chop off her head. King Midas and his golden touch was crazy. He turned his daughter into a golden statue (she got better). The Chimera was a wild beast that the dude needed to catch Pegasus in order to slay. The Golden Apples was about Hercules holding the sky for Atlas. All were really fun stories and I was surprised that each one had a happy ending. Even Pandora's Box ended with Hope being the final fairy to leave the box. I love reading the classics and this was the perfect cross between lit and childrens book. I really like Hawthorne's transition characters like Eustice Bright and Primerose too. Next up is the Once and Future King which I'm pretty stoked about.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mdemone posted:

It's basically the only constant in human historiography: "hey these young people are such babies, let me tell you what it was like"

Hes literally saying the exact opposite

Bilirubin posted:

Hm mod of book forum has bad reading comprehension very interesting

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

davey4283 posted:

I just finished reading Greek Myths - Tanglewood Tales by Hawthorne to my son. Anyone else check this one out? Its got a bunch of great classics that I've heard of but never read before. The Gorgon's Head is the story of Medusa and how Quicksilver helps Pericles chop off her head. King Midas and his golden touch was crazy. He turned his daughter into a golden statue (she got better). The Chimera was a wild beast that the dude needed to catch Pegasus in order to slay. The Golden Apples was about Hercules holding the sky for Atlas. All were really fun stories and I was surprised that each one had a happy ending. Even Pandora's Box ended with Hope being the final fairy to leave the box. I love reading the classics and this was the perfect cross between lit and childrens book. I really like Hawthorne's transition characters like Eustice Bright and Primerose too. Next up is the Once and Future King which I'm pretty stoked about.

Grew up reading Hawthorne’s Greek myths. Thank you for reminding me, I used to love this book and spent many an hour rereading it. Probably my childhood overall favorite. And yes, the characters outside the myths really grow on you. I think I still have a tattered copy of the book lying around and it’s an edition from the fifties that used to belong to my mom. I am sure it was a great experience for your son.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

mdemone posted:

I am talking about adults here, not young kids. there are people who are now 40 years old who refuse to let go of young adult fiction and poo poo they read/watched as kids. like that person who was mad at the lack of quotation marks, for instance

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i once worked with a man who was forty and wearing jncos and a wallet chain and talking about how great icp was

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

derp posted:

i once worked with a man who was forty and wearing jncos and a wallet chain and talking about how great icp was

You should have turned on your monitor while at work

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

mdemone posted:

the babies are actually here, right now, in this forum, and they love brandon sandon

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this all just means the zoomers are going to be really into art and literature and rebel against the wizards and lasers of their parents

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Runaway Horses

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i mean any mishima really

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

derp posted:

this all just means the zoomers are going to be really into art and literature and rebel against the wizards and lasers of their parents

one of the greatest novels of the 21st century will be written by some dude named Anakin Zephiroth (using the pen name J. D.)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Runaway Horses

Had this exact thought

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

i mean any mishima really

Yeah Temple of the Golden Pavilion and Sailor Who Fell From Grace also both count

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Decay of the Angel makes growing old seem like the most disgusting thing one could ever be inflicted with.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Decay's insanely abrupt ending caught me off guard until I looked it up and Mishima had his spine split open basically the day after he mailed off the manuscript

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The rest of the novel is meh but the ending ranks among the best I've read.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The rest of the novel is meh but the ending ranks among the best I've read.

Yeah real all timer

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That brings up an interesting question. It's easy for me to think of works that have great endings. And it's pretty easy to name works that you don't love but have amazing endings, Great Expectations for example. But how can anyone name any novels that are incredible all the way through until they trip face forward into a poo poo ending? Both the works of Stendhal I've read, The Red and the Black and Charterhouse of Parma massively speed up towards the end and it doesn't really work in Charterhouse at all. Salammbô also has an overly neat ending that doesn't come close to matching Bovary's or Sentimental Educations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe ends far too cleanly imho

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Grew up reading Hawthorne’s Greek myths. Thank you for reminding me, I used to love this book and spent many an hour rereading it. Probably my childhood overall favorite. And yes, the characters outside the myths really grow on you. I think I still have a tattered copy of the book lying around and it’s an edition from the fifties that used to belong to my mom. I am sure it was a great experience for your son.

Yea, hes enjoying it but he's also very young so he probably wont remember any of it. I had a blast with it, though. I looked up the book online and it mentioned a bunch of tales we hadn't read like the Minotaur. I just realized that we were reading the Barnes & Noble edition which is abbreviated so I'll have to seek out the original book for all of the omitted stuff. I feel gypped now.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ulvir posted:

I am talking about adults here, not young kids. there are people who are now 40 years old who refuse to let go of young adult fiction and poo poo they read/watched as kids. like that person who was mad at the lack of quotation marks, for instance

I was also speaking of this, but more from the perspective of the "literati" bemoaning the base pleasures of the "great unwashed" in every generation. Each generation has their own way of putting it.

eta: but I will grant you this current trend of grown assed adults being ape poo poo crazy about Disney. Its weird.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

davey4283 posted:

I feel gypped now.

antiziganism is very real, please avoid this word

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Having finished Wuthering Heights, it's probably the most geographically constrained book I've read. I'd also call it one of the most cynical books I've ever read. What few moments of kindness appear in the book exist to be later betrayed. I doubt the characters whose prospects do look good at the novel's end are going to end up happy. Maybe Bronte was writing a serious story, but I found myself starting to read it as a humorously misanthropic satire. I do applaud it for grasping the human capacity for rottenness and narrow-mindedness, fiction usually striking me as a bit optimistic compared to my observations of real people.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

FPyat posted:

Having finished Wuthering Heights, it's probably the most geographically constrained book I've read. I'd also call it one of the most cynical books I've ever read. What few moments of kindness appear in the book exist to be later betrayed. I doubt the characters whose prospects do look good at the novel's end are going to end up happy. Maybe Bronte was writing a serious story, but I found myself starting to read it as a humorously misanthropic satire.

You would enjoy Bataille’s essay on Brontë in Literature and Evil

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm to understand that Emily herself liked living in a lonely, windswept country house, but the book sure didn't make the prospect appealing.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

You would enjoy Bataille’s essay on Brontë in Literature and Evil

Thanks!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

ulvir posted:

it's not just a millennial thing. I know some older gen xers who have suspicion and disdain for challenging literature. One of whom wrote a book of poems with the mission statement being that it was poems for regular everyday people, and not that ivory tower crap. The other said "no one reads the iliad and the odyssey by choice" and thought Nabokov should have been arrested for writing Lolita (and loves Disney).

it's just a people thing. Honestly, I think it's great that people can feel deep connections to or still appreciate things that moved them when they were younger. Or still be open to appreciating good art even if it's aimed at younger audiences. I kind of think that the problem is that people have very limited mental bandwidth, and literature is often too much work, or there's too much inertia, for people to want to seek it out voluntarily. Which is understandable in our stupid society. But it's a shame because an active relationship with literature can be a deep comfort on an existential level.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

I was also speaking of this, but more from the perspective of the "literati" bemoaning the base pleasures of the "great unwashed" in every generation. Each generation has their own way of putting it.

eta: but I will grant you this current trend of grown assed adults being ape poo poo crazy about Disney. Its weird.

widespread literacy was a mistake.

Only reclusive monks and accountants should be allowed to read

Segue
May 23, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe ends far too cleanly imho

Yeah I just finished it too and you have the vast majority just this cowardly worm running away from everything and finally coming to peace feels a bit tacked on with how short the revelation is. Gorgeous writing though.

However I will say from what I've read of Japanese existentialism I could use some cleanness. Jesus do some of those guys just dive into grime and despair and wallow.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

just in case folks in here browse the forums via bookmarks exclusively, the Book of the Month is Orlando by Woolf and it would be grand to have some book nerds from in here getting involved!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ive recently been going more quality over quantity recently with my reading.

Just read Barabbas. Real good.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

just in case folks in here browse the forums via bookmarks exclusively, the Book of the Month is Orlando by Woolf and it would be grand to have some book nerds from in here getting involved!

i’ll see if I can get my hands on it in time

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I picked up a copy of To the Lighthouse instead whoops. But I've just started Seiobo There Below anyway

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
a pretty rad whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robyn-
Jan 31, 2024

just wanna ask; what’s the pacing of Against the Day, and Gravity’s Rainbow?