Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Even if we accept that the war on the Shattered Plains was genocide -- and it's stretching the definition real hard to do so, given that they have no reason to believe the Listeners are a separate race from the Parshmen, no reason to believe that all the Listeners in existence are at the Shattered Plains to be killed, and also they've never once killed a non-combatant which, to me, seems like sort of an important detail? -- that's not why Kaladin decides Elhokar needs killing.

Their goal was explicitly to "wipe out" the listener race (as the terms of the vengeance pact were set). Exterminating a race is like, the definition of genocide. They recognize that the 'parshendi' are a separate group from the 'parshmen' (even giving them different names), that they are only on the shattered plains, and the alethi measure their progress based on how many they kill. Their goal is unambiguous - the only time Dalinar considers any other outcome for ending the war is when he finds the other highprinces are (A) insufficiently committed to killing parshendi, and (B) the kingdom's political stability appears to be negatively effected by the war.

The main strategy is starving them to death (as dalinar outlines in WoK). The alethi accomplished by driving the listeners from their homes and fields, then killing any hunters that go foraging for wild animals, and any wild animals they could use as a supply of food, in what is a very obvious analog for how western settlers did the same thing

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Words of Radiance Part 3

Whew.

TLDR: This part had some great moments and then ended with me audibly shout "oh gently caress off!"

Okay, lets try to make this brief.

- The experiment with the raising platform was loving cool. I look forward to more fabrial experiments. I'm sure this will come in handy at some random moment in the future.

- Shallan is loving great. Her introduction to Adolin and Dalinar was great. Her joining Sebarial is great. Sebarial himself is great. Palona is also great. I don't think there was a chapter of Shallan's that I disliked.

- Unlike Kaladin, Shallan's flashback chapters are actually interesting. The reveal of her brother being the shardbearer Kaladin killed was a fun surprise. Hoid's appearance was also an interesting surprise. I'm wondering what exactly he's planning.

- <Insert gif of me doing the Leo pointing meme> That's how I felt when Shallan met with the Ghostbloods and they had a southern Scadrian with them. Thanks to The Lost Metal, I know that they're part of a larger effort by Kelsier and that they have people from multiple worlds, but if I had just read Bands of Mourning by this time, I would have assumed they were all Scadrians.

- Zahel rules.

- Adolin and Shallan swooning over each other is hilarious and I loving love it.

- I knew Moash was part of the conspiracy to kill the king. I had wondered if he had a shardblade, but it turns out he's just part of a group that want Elhokar dead.

- Jasnah is not dead, no matter how much this book wants me to believe that.

- The meeting with Eshonai and the Listeners was... weird. I assume the red energy that infected Eshonai was of Odium as Brando loves Red=Bad. I'm starting grow incredibly tired of this war on the Shattered Planes and I hope it really is resolved by the end of this book. I stand by my feelings that this and WoK feels like they should be one book instead of two separate books. WoK is important for world building, but not much fuckin happens and the entirety of WoK has "first half of a book" energy. I would have taken one 100 hour audiobook over two 50 hour audiobooks - "what's the difference" you might ask, but it comes down to expectations.

- The duel had me hootin and hollerin. Maybe not as much as the fight against Szeth, but it was still drat good. I feel like Syl finally caught a glimpse of Pattern and that's why she momentarily left Kaladin.

- Kaladin is a loving idiot. Goddamn he annoys the poo poo out of me. "This is what you get for trusting lighteyes. I'm never trusting them again!" is when I yelled "oh gently caress off!" I can't tell if he or Elhokar is the more petulant child in this situation. Does Kaladin stub his toe and then blame the lighteyes for that as well? At least at this point in the story, I genuinely cannot understand why anyone would like this character. Dalinar was literally advocating for you immediately after you hosed up all of his plans and yet you still want to bitch and moan. gently caress off.

- I guess this is what will get Kaladin on board to kill Elhokar.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Words of Radiance Part 3

Whew.

TLDR: This part had some great moments and then ended with me audibly shout "oh gently caress off!"

Okay, lets try to make this brief.

- Kaladin is a loving idiot. Goddamn he annoys the poo poo out of me. "This is what you get for trusting lighteyes. I'm never trusting them again!" is when I yelled "oh gently caress off!" I can't tell if he or Elhokar is the more petulant child in this situation. Does Kaladin stub his toe and then blame the lighteyes for that as well? At least at this point in the story, I genuinely cannot understand why anyone would like this character. Dalinar was literally advocating for you immediately after you hosed up all of his plans and yet you still want to bitch and moan. gently caress off.

- I guess this is what will get Kaladin on board to kill Elhokar.

To be fair, a darkeyes without a shardblade defeating a shardbearer is the type of legendary badassery that the king's boon is for, not the contrived poo poo that adolin was trying. If elhokar had just granted it instead of storming off they'd have caught sadeas more securely than they had otherwise

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tunicate posted:

To be fair, a darkeyes without a shardblade defeating a shardbearer is the type of legendary badassery that the king's boon is for, not the contrived poo poo that adolin was trying. If elhokar had just granted it instead of storming off they'd have caught sadeas more securely than they had otherwise

True, but we all know, and Kaladin knows, Elhokar is an idiot. Elhokar specifically says “What would you like for your book, Adolin” and then Kaladin makes it about him.

Kaladin is like if Kelsier was an idiot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

True, but we all know, and Kaladin knows, Elhokar is an idiot. Elhokar specifically says “What would you like for your book, Adolin” and then Kaladin makes it about him.

Kaladin is like if Kelsier was an idiot.

Worse than that, Elhokar is canonically a narcissist, which makes everything about him come into sharp focus.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate posted:

Worse than that, Elhokar is canonically a narcissist, which makes everything about him come into sharp focus.

... Huh. I was going to argue, but according to the Coppermind that is canon.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lift rules.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mordiceius posted:

Lift rules.

She's awesome for sure

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Words of Radiance interludes 9-11

Lift was a lot of fun. She was certainly… awesome. I look forward to Edgedancer.

Eshonai and the Listeners gave me incredibly frustrated. “Oh they were just pawns of Odium” will not be enough for me to change my opinions of their actions. Brandon has his work cut out for him to make me actually care for them. Sure, I have some sympathy for Thude and those that escaped, but I feel like Eshonai and The Five should all be put to the blade, at the very minimum. Eshonai continues to make the dumbest decisions.

WoR chapter 59

Wit talking about “perfect pitch” - guess he found a lot of Breath

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I just started reading The Way of Kings because video games are getting boring, and I wanted to get into reading. I was browsing TikTok late at night last week, and this one video popped up, basically saying Sanderson was the next Tolkien, Martin, etc. So I bought the first book and well. 4 pages in and ordered the rest of the series. How have I been missing out?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I just started reading The Way of Kings because video games are getting boring, and I wanted to get into reading. I was browsing TikTok late at night last week, and this one video popped up, basically saying Sanderson was the next Tolkien, Martin, etc. So I bought the first book and well. 4 pages in and ordered the rest of the series. How have I been missing out?
I've got wonderful news for you -- there are multiple series that are all connected in a broader universe, so even after you get caught up on Stormlight Archives, there's a ton of other books!

Have fun, be sure to post reactions here, we love watching newbies discover stuff for the first time and make guesses about where the story is going.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Welcome over! Not sure how much you know (and I don't want to encourage googling), but the Stormlight Archive is just one series in Brandon's Cosmere. It's definitely the meatiest series, but there's also the Mistborn series, as well as a number of standalone books.

Which ones exactly have you ordered?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

Welcome over! Not sure how much you know (and I don't want to encourage googling), but the Stormlight Archive is just one series in Brandon's Cosmere. It's definitely the meatiest series, but there's also the Mistborn series, as well as a number of standalone books.

Which ones exactly have you ordered?

Rest of the Stormlight Archive and all of the Mistborn.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Rest of the Stormlight Archive and all of the Mistborn.

Cool, you will also want to get Warbreaker soon-ish, and later on Arcanum Unbounded (a collection of short stories), Elantris, and then the more recent "Secret Project" books.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

Cool, you will also want to get Warbreaker soon-ish, and later on Arcanum Unbounded (a collection of short stories), Elantris, and then the more recent "Secret Project" books.

Ordered. Future investments.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I also just started this 4-5 days ago and haven't played a video game since. I struggled a bit around page 300 (on a kindle) because the POV's kept switching way too often. But I pushed through and am around page 700, can't wait to read more when I get home.

I assume kindle pages and paperbacks are different based on page size?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I kinda wanna see what your bookshelf looks like if you've done this with other authors/series

diapermeat posted:

I also just started this 4-5 days ago and haven't played a video game since. I struggled a bit around page 300 (on a kindle) because the POV's kept switching way too often. But I pushed through and am around page 700, can't wait to read more when I get home.

I assume kindle pages and paperbacks are different based on page size?

WoK is "1001" pages for the hardback, what's your kindle edition?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

A Sneaker Broker posted:

lol this is what I tell myself whenever I order a book, which is like 3 times a week. My shelf is now overflowing, especially when my gf mentions a book she's heard is good.

Speaking of, I've been bad with catching up on my reading but am 180ish pages into Sunlit Man so far and I really, really like it.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

pik_d posted:

I kinda wanna see what your bookshelf looks like if you've done this with other authors/series

WoK is "1001" pages for the hardback, what's your kindle edition?

Hmm interesting. I'm on a kindle paperwhite, got it about 2 years ago. I could have sworn at 700 pages it was reading about 60% through the book.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

diapermeat posted:

Hmm interesting. I'm on a kindle paperwhite, got it about 2 years ago. I could have sworn at 700 pages it was reading about 60% through the book.

That makes sense, on my Kobo it was reading more pages than the physical copies, less words on screen makes for more pages. Still, getting that far in 4-5 days is quite fast!

Glad you're loving it, please share your thoughts when you're done, or now, or both!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

Gonna be honest, this is first real series/author I’ve ever read. So the entire Stormlight Archives and the Mistborn Saga are the first books on the shelf. Nothing before it.

Also,

What a goddamn prologue for the TWoK. I know it’s early, but it’s insane to see how talented Brandon is at writing because I could visualize everything. The Lashings. The perspectives. The fight with the king. This very well could be the next big TV show if Brandon wanted it made (assuming he doesn’t right now.) So people who can absorb Stormlight can essentially alter gravity? That’s wild. Also the thought of a sword that can’t cut human flesh, but kill a soul, so bodies just drop dead is epic.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Gonna be honest, this is first real series/author I’ve ever read. So the entire Stormlight Archives and the Mistborn Saga are the first books on the shelf. Nothing before it.

Also,

What a goddamn prologue for the TWoK. I know it’s early, but it’s insane to see how talented Brandon is at writing because I could visualize everything. The Lashings. The perspectives. The fight with the king. This very well could be the next big TV show if Brandon wanted it made (assuming he doesn’t right now.) So people who can absorb Stormlight can essentially alter gravity? That’s wild. Also the thought of a sword that can’t cut human flesh, but kill a soul, so bodies just drop dead is epic.

:bisonyes:

From my understanding Brandon is trying to get Mistborn to screen first, but it's been a long work in progress and it's best not to worry about it until there's actual news.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Welcome to the BYU MCU!

I have some spare time, so time to infodump. :unsmigghh:

Without going into any spoilers, Brandon's books are generally split out across multiple worlds with some crossover in later books.

The current Cosmere catalog is made out up of the following series and individual books:

quote:

Elantris
- 1 novel (Elantris)
- 1 novella (The Emperor's Soul)
- 1 short stories (The Hope of Elantris)

Mistborn
- Era 1 is 3 novels (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages)
- Era 2 is 4 novels (The Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, The Bands of Mourning, The Lost Metal)
- 1 novella (Mistborn: Secret History)
- 2 short stories (The Eleventh Metal, Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania)

Warbreaker
- 1 novel (Warbreaker)

The Stormlight Archive
- 4 (soon 5) novels (The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Oathbringer, Rhythm of War, Wind and Truth)
- 2 novellas (Edgedancer & Dawnshard)

White Sand
- 3 graphic novels (combined in one omnibus)

Miscellaneous Novels
- Tress of the Emerald Sea
- Yumi and the Nightmare Painter
- The Sunlit Man

Miscellaneous Novellas
- Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
- Sixth of the Dusk

Misc notes & FYIs:

- There is no "right" order to read his books. While there are certainly "better" orders Cosmere novels, there is (generally speaking) no "wrong" way to read his books. For example - my journey has been Mistborn Era 1 -> Elantris -> Warbreaker -> Mistborn Era 2 -> Stormlight. While pik_d did straight publication order. No matter which order you go, you will pick up things or get hints of things from other books. So in a way, you can make your journey wholly your own.

- Brandon's books are almost all "hard magic." Expect a lot of rules on how magic systems work. It is no surprise that Brandon is a big fan of video games because many of his books feel like they could be an RPG.

- The Stormlight Archive is seen as his "big high fantasy crossover series." Without going into spoilers, that's not to say it doesn't have its own unique story and characters, it just means that it is a lot more connected to the other novels than the other novels are to each other, if that makes sense. That doesn't mean it can't be your starting place (see previous note). Plenty of people start with Stormlight. It will just be a different experience for you than it would be for someone who reads them in a different order.

MOST IMPORANTLY - We in this thread are a bunch of enjoyment vampires that like to feed on new readers, so please share your thoughts and feelings as you go through this journey.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Louisgod posted:

lol this is what I tell myself whenever I order a book, which is like 3 times a week. My shelf is now overflowing, especially when my gf mentions a book she's heard is good.
Nonsense like this is why I went digital about five minutes after I bought my first iPad and have never looked back. I can have two bookshelves filled to overflowing with books to the extent that I can't find half my books because they're behind the other half, all the shelves are bowing under the weight, and I can't even buy more anymore because where will I put them, or I can carry around one tablet the size of a magazine that is every single book I own, I can put on another thousand books and it'll still be exactly the same size and weigh the same, and it also glows in the dark? Hmm. Hmmm.

Mordiceius posted:

- There is no "right" order to read his books. While there are certainly "better" orders Cosmere novels, there is (generally speaking) no "wrong" way to read his books. For example - my journey has been Mistborn Era 1 -> Elantris -> Warbreaker -> Mistborn Era 2 -> Stormlight. While pik_d did straight publication order. No matter which order you go, you will pick up things or get hints of things from other books. So in a way, you can make your journey wholly your own.
Slight clarification -- this is overall true, but within each series you need to go chronological to avoid spoilering yourself. Edgedancer goes after Words of Radiance and Dawnshard goes after Oathbringer, Mistborn Era 1 comes before Era 2 and Secret History must not be read before Bands of Mourning, and Emperor's Soul and Hope of Elantris should not be read before Elantris.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Slight clarification -- this is overall true, but within each series you need to go chronological to avoid spoilering yourself. Edgedancer goes after Words of Radiance and Dawnshard goes after Oathbringer, Mistborn Era 1 comes before Era 2 and Secret History must not be read before Bands of Mourning, and Emperor's Soul and Hope of Elantris should not be read before Elantris.

Yeah! Absolutely. Great clarification.

Each "series" should be read in published order, but there's no right order to attack each series.

There are certainly books that I think are aren't great starting points to the Cosmere, but you'll always find someone who says "I started with <x> and went from there."

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CapnAndy posted:

Nonsense like this is why I went digital about five minutes after I bought my first iPad and have never looked back. I can have two bookshelves filled to overflowing with books to the extent that I can't find half my books because they're behind the other half, all the shelves are bowing under the weight, and I can't even buy more anymore because where will I put them, or I can carry around one tablet the size of a magazine that is every single book I own, I can put on another thousand books and it'll still be exactly the same size and weigh the same, and it also glows in the dark? Hmm. Hmmm.

Counterpoint: Having overflowing shelves owns, I love it. Going all digital feels empty, and I like loaning out my books.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Counterpoint: Having overflowing shelves owns, I love it. Going all digital feels empty, and I like loaning out my books.

Counter-counterpoint: Living in a small apartment means space is at a premium. :negative:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
New readers : keep posting your thoughts in spoiler bars as you go - it’s our favorite

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

New readers : keep posting your thoughts in spoiler bars as you go - it’s our favorite

:o7:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

CapnAndy posted:

but but but ~physical paper~

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Also,

Wait til you read Mistborn

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Wafflecopper posted:

but but but ~physical paper~

There's always your library card. I'm cheap and I love reading, so it's great for me.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

I also recently started cosmere books. Started around beginning of December. Have read all but Lost Metal in Mistborn, all of Elantris, Warbreaker and all in Arcanum Unbounded except the Storm light novellas.

Just picked up Way of Kings and really enjoying it. I remember reading about 100 pages or so a few years ago but I wasn't ready to get back into books yet so I ended up dropping it. I'm ready now though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’m hootin. I’m hollerin. Big grin on my face.

WoR Part 4 So glad the feud between Adolin and Kaladin is over. Let the bromance begin!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

I’m hootin. I’m hollerin. Big grin on my face.

WoR Part 4 So glad the feud between Adolin and Kaladin is over. Let the bromance begin!

Life goal is to have a person like him in your life

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

MOST IMPORANTLY - We in this thread are a bunch of enjoyment vampires that like to feed on new readers, so please share your thoughts and feelings as you go through this journey.

This. So much this. It’s amazing fun to see new readers try to guess what Sanderson will do next in each book/series.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

TWoK - Part 1

Going from a commander who is obviously wielding some form of wind power to a slave immediately in the next part is hilarious and shocking.

This book is awesome.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Grundulum posted:

This. So much this. It’s amazing fun to see new readers try to guess what Sanderson will do next in each book/series.

You might even say it’s this thread’s Investiture

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Louisgod posted:

You might even say it’s this thread’s Investiture

Grundulum posted:

As I get through all of the Stormlight Archives and then, eventually, the Mistborn Saga, I’ll provide my theory’s and thoughts here. I’m all for insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Life goal is to have a person like him in your life
Coward Sanderson, let Adolin and Kaladin smooch