Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Eh, it's a primary. Wait until November; then we'll have all too many of the things I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
it's a primary when people aren't used to having primaries to boot

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm quite surprised we only have one proposition this time, we're usually lousy with the things.

we’ll probably see more come November

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I'm a page late, but I was unhappy with the DSA and that lead me to find the PSL.
https://pslweb.org/about/

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
DSA can be a gateway to further education and work in other orgs, like a pipeline. Another org I found out about from them ended up holding a short book reading of literature relevant to the work being done which had underpinnings of historical materialist analysis that I needed to figure out and BAM! rabbit hole and enlightenment

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Bald Stalin posted:

DSA can be a gateway to further education and work in other orgs, like a pipeline. Another org I found out about from them ended up holding a short book reading of literature relevant to the work being done which had underpinnings of historical materialist analysis that I needed to figure out and BAM! rabbit hole and enlightenment

This is what I think DSA does particularly well. Most everyone I know in it does other work with other left orgs, but still operates with DSA because it's an entryway and launching pad to help people find and engage with more complex work and more theory, and they want to help new people ease into what can be a confusing new world.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm a page late, but I was unhappy with the DSA and that lead me to find the PSL.
https://pslweb.org/about/

Does this automatically add me to a FBI watch list?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Does this automatically add me to a FBI watch list?
SA Account holders aren't already on a FBI watch list?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

every american citizen is already on the NSA watch list

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Snow pack is below average but reservoirs are above average

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LckoWhiTXU

Kind of surprised snow is so low, considering how many storms we've been getting.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unusually warm storms coming through from the south Pacific meant that the snow line for most storms were way above the usual level. After the rain events ended the (theoretical) dropped about 1,000' as winter temperatures resumed

I saw an article the other day speculating if Shasta might need to activate their spillway at some point

Not great but not terrible

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Snow pack is below average but reservoirs are above average

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LckoWhiTXU

Kind of surprised snow is so low, considering how many storms we've been getting.
Warming planet means stuff that used to fall as snow is now falling as rain, meaning fuller reservoirs and a diminished snow pack.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's also an El Nino year, which makes the atmospheric rivers a couple degrees warmer, compared to last year which was a La Nina year which makes atmospheric rivers a couple degrees cooler

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yeah, el nino years tend to be warmer. I read an interesting thing about the snowfall in inches generally isn't that different in El Nino years vs LA Nina because of the warmer storms.

But it tends to flood place in so cal, I remember some bad years in the 90s where they had to flood the sepedulveda basin. School got cancelled for about a week due to flooding

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As soon as we stop growing and exporting food for other states we'll have more than enough water to go around. Bing bong, so simple

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
One of the models (ICON) has two feet of rain around Santa Barbara by Tuesday.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
El Nino is Spanish for "The Nino"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Trazz posted:

El Nino is Spanish for "The Nino"

More specifically The child/kid

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Tayter Swift posted:

One of the models (ICON) has two feet of rain around Santa Barbara by Tuesday.

hm. i'm relatively close to there so this is mildly concerning

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We don't really get the orographic effect on our rain totals here in SLO, but we're still due to get over three inches this weekend lol

Glad my apartment is on the second floor! Time to charge my various devices!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/31/california-black-reparations-bills-00138854

01/31/2024 02:57 PM EST

SACRAMENTO, California — California state lawmakers introduced a slate of reparations bills on Wednesday, including a proposal to restore property taken by “race-based” cases of eminent domain and a potentially unconstitutional measure to provide state funding for “specific groups.”

The package marks a first-in-the-nation effort to give restitution to Black Americans who have been harmed by centuries of racist policies and practices. California’s legislative push is the culmination of years of research and debate, including 111-pages of recommendations issued last year by a task force.

Other states like Colorado, New York, and Massachusetts have commissioned reparations studies or task forces, but California is the first to attempt to turn those ideas into law.

The 14 measures introduced by the Legislative Black Caucus touch on education, civil rights and criminal justice, including reviving a years-old effort to restrict solitary confinement that failed to make it out of the statehouse as recently as last year.

Not included is any type of financial compensation to descendants of Black slaves, a polarizing proposal that has received a cool response from many state Democrats, including Gov. Gavin Newsom.

“While many only associate direct cash payments with reparations, the true meaning of the word, to repair, involves much more,” Assemblymember Lori Wilson, chair of the caucus, said in a statement. “We need a comprehensive approach to dismantling the legacy of slavery and systemic racism.”

The package does have a provision that would give some monetary relief. The proposed bill, authored by State Sen. Steven Bradford, a Democrat from the Los Angeles area, deals with “property takings.” It would, “Restore property taken during raced-based uses of eminent domain to its original owners or provide another effective remedy where appropriate, such as restitution or compensation.”

Black lawmakers are already anticipating an uphill battle. They anticipate spending many hours to educate fellow legislators and convince them to pass the bills.

Some of the measures could also run into legal trouble.

Democratic Assemblymember Corey Jackson, who represents a district north of San Diego, is proposing asking voters to change California’s Constitution to allow the state to fund programs aimed at “increasing the life expectancy of, improving educational outcomes for, or lifting out of poverty specific groups based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, or marginalized genders, sexes, or sexual orientations.”

That plan could face a similar constitutional challenge like the one that ultimately dismantled affirmative action.

Other proposals include protections for “natural and protective” hairstyles in all competitive sports, and a formal apology by the governor and Legislature for the state’s role in human rights violations and crimes against humanity on African slaves and their descendants.

The caucus will flesh out the package in the coming weeks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Celexi posted:

More specifically The child/kid

The kid is back in town

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I was going to make a snide comment about reparations for Japanese-Americans who lost their property and livelihoods during World War Two, but they did in fact get reparations in the late 1980s, which I had completely forgotten on account of being about five years old when it happened.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

quote:

increasing the life expectancy of, improving educational outcomes for, or lifting out of poverty specific groups based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, or marginalized genders, sexes, or sexual orientations

except dalits, cause newsom donors are brahmin

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

the howard jarvis taxpayers association are at it again https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/jerry-brown-ballot-18643109.php

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
my ballot came in, but I have no idea what im looking at since I've gone to political hibernation for sake of my mental health. DSA-LA informed me on some of the more local stuff for Los Angeles, minus who to vote for with the 37th US Rep district or the District Attorney.

Anyway, voting Yes on State Measure 1 seems like a no brainer, but I dunno if this is some trojan horse gotcha thing? Next, is there some progressive pick for the presidential primary, and who are the 2 senator picks?

also shamefully i had no idea it was primary ballot time. many thanks, cali goons.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

Warming planet means stuff that used to fall as snow is now falling as rain, meaning fuller reservoirs and a diminished snow pack.

It’s not just that it’s been warmer, it’s also that the storms have tracked in a way that hasn’t brought as much moisture to the mountains. A lot of the storms that have hit the bay hard didn’t really hit us up here at all.

Here’s a chart from the central Sierra snow lab

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Also came here for snow level chat. This most recent storm (still ongoing?) The snow level is at 4,000 ft so we're looking at 18-36" in the usual areas and even 6" in the mid levels

Global warming bad and all that, but this was a very good storm for the snowpack

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah it’s good for sure. Even then, my wife reported a turn to rain this afternoon at 6k ft (I’m outta town, on a ski trip, naturally). But even 10” or so reported down in Reno which isn’t that common

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

buglord posted:

Anyway, voting Yes on State Measure 1 seems like a no brainer, but I dunno if this is some trojan horse gotcha thing?
At the very least it doesn't have one of those high-vote-requirement amendment clauses, so the legislature can amend it if they really feel the need to in the future.

I still haven't taken the time to analyze it, but Cal Matters is usually decent:
https://calmatters.org/politics/elections/2024/01/mental-health-proposition-1/
older:
https://calmatters.org/health/mental-health/2023/09/gavin-newsom-mental-health-2024-election/

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

We got somewhat owned by the storm here in San Jose. Trees down in the yard, and the power is still out so we lost a bunch of groceries. Luckily no leaks in our roof and no fences down. Still no estimate from PG&E for getting power turned back on.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
League of Women voters said no on 1 https://lwvc.org/ballot-measure/prop-1-2024/no-on-prop-1/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Pete's a yes

https://www.peterates.com/props-0324.shtml#prop01

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Never heard of this guy before but his bio seems to boil down to "rich centrist computer toucher"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

quote:

These facilities are crucial to addressing the root causes of the crisis.

lmao

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Trying to give reparations in money to descendants of slaves would be wild. The book the Black Tax explores the cost of slavery and systemic racism on Black Americans, and it estimates that around $50 trillion of labor value was extracted from black people through 200 years of slavery.

Perhaps you would say it's absurd to try to even give a dollar value, but it does suggest that the wealth transfer implied by reparations is much more costly and complex than giving me or other people of color a $1000 check and calling it a day.

E: in regards to the eminent domain, does that mean that the communities that were bulldozed to build the I-880 and all these other freeways will get restitution?

Also, I would hope there's some stimulus for black businesses - access to funds for investment, quotas in the state government to buy from black businesses, anything that can keep more wealth within the black community and give companies a competitive edge.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 8, 2024

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Never heard of this guy before but his bio seems to boil down to "rich centrist computer toucher"

lol if you're discussing props in Cali and don't know Pete

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

America Inc. posted:

Trying to give reparations in money to descendants of slaves would be wild. The book the Black Tax explores the cost of slavery and systemic racism on Black Americans, and it estimates that around $50 trillion of labor value was extracted from black people through 200 years of slavery.

Perhaps you would say it's absurd to try to even give a dollar value, but it does suggest that the wealth transfer implied by reparations is much more costly and complex than giving me or other people of color a $1000 check and calling it a day.

E: in regards to the eminent domain, does that mean that the communities that were bulldozed to build the I-880 and all these other freeways will get restitution?

Also, I would hope there's some stimulus for black businesses - access to funds for investment, quotas in the state government to buy from black businesses, anything that can keep more wealth within the black community and give companies a competitive edge.

Yeah if you calculate the value of what was produced out of the slave system and then put interest on it as an unpaid debt in arrears then you get an absolutely wild number that capital will never acknowledge, it's nasty. The wealth engine of this nation was literally built by the people it enslaved.

Jaxyon posted:

lol if you're discussing props in Cali and don't know Pete

I have lived in California for all my 40 years and it's never come up 🤷‍♂️

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are people arguing that reparations are sufficient to make black people whole again after the 200 years of slavery? lol? What about Reconstruction-era poo poo? Sundown towns that existed well into the 1960s? Reparations are a bold choice and capital is not ever going to embrace it, but it'll also still never be sufficient. Good start, though, I guess?

I was raised in the south and spent most of my life there so I'm not familiar with it, but does CA have much of a 'yikes' history with slavery? I know that Oregon was a sundown state, which is a yikes.

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

jokes posted:

Are people arguing that reparations are sufficient to make black people whole again after the 200 years of slavery? lol? What about Reconstruction-era poo poo? Sundown towns that existed well into the 1960s? Reparations are a bold choice and capital is not ever going to embrace it, but it'll also still never be sufficient. Good start, though, I guess?

I was raised in the south and spent most of my life there so I'm not familiar with it, but does CA have much of a 'yikes' history with slavery? I know that Oregon was a sundown state, which is a yikes.

Reparations would be a nice start for sure but yeah, the actual scope of evil visited upon enslaved people and any descendant even remotely connected to the receiving end of slave society violence (and its renamed legacy systems) would in all likelihood exceed the capacity for quantification. Like how do you even calculate the monetary value of centuries of... that. It's also so baked into this country that it has been the off-screen suffering press that produces the oil which greases the machinery of America. The only justice I can think of that would come close to approaching a meaningful start would involve the total dismantling of this entire operation.