Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

McGavin posted:

MAID should be expanded to people who get brutally owned online.

lowtax would have had a more comfortable death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

New Coke posted:

Sorry, but I have to add this: a child preferring to talk to a friend or teacher about their gender identity or sexual orientation first doesn't necessarily mean a bad parent. Even when they trust that their parent will be supportive, it's an emotional conversation, and it's not uncommon for people to prefer to prefer to start by talking things through in a context where the stakes are lower.

This is all the more reason that this notion of "parental rights" is bullshit, of course. If my child were to go through a lot of thought and preparation, and someone else denied both of us the opportunity for her to do that on her own terms, then I'd be absolutely furious.

Yeah, but that still means that they'd talk to their parents at some point sooner than later. Unless they're poo poo parents, and they don't want to at all.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

McGavin posted:

Ford is corrupt and stupid, but he will reverse course at the slightest pushback. Smith is a true believer in her bullshit.

She's not a true believer in anything except how her being in power is. She's pandering to wackjobs who spend their days watching Fox News and wish Canada was more like the imaginary version of the US that gets talked about on there.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Maneck posted:

She's not a true believer in anything except how her being in power is. She's pandering to wackjobs who spend their days watching Fox News and wish Canada was more like the imaginary version of the US that gets talked about on there.

No, she is genuinely a wackjob who spends her days watching Fox News and wishing Canada was more like the imaginary version of the US that gets talked about on there.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

That Alberta anti-trans law feels like something that must be highly susceptible to appeal. Mature minors with adult capacity have been able to give informed consent for everything up to refusing blood transfusions and dying as a consequence. Limiting the ability to consent to treatments related to gender identity/expression, which are a protected right otherwise, feels like it's way too arbitrary.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Of course it's arbitrary, the only point is to perpetuate a culture war / moral panic focusing on trans people because hating on The Gays (as in dudes who gently caress dudes) isn't cool anymore.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lassitude posted:

That Alberta anti-trans law feels like something that must be highly susceptible to appeal. Mature minors with adult capacity have been able to give informed consent for everything up to refusing blood transfusions and dying as a consequence. Limiting the ability to consent to treatments related to gender identity/expression, which are a protected right otherwise, feels like it's way too arbitrary.

I think it would really depend on the specifics of how it's written. But even if it is unconstitutional I can't see any scenario in which these guys don't use the notwithstanding clause, and there's zero chance Trudeau has the balls to override an extremist hateful law.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://x.com/vancolour/status/1753089843058614354?s=20

Apparently she also said of Palestine pre-1948 ""It was a crappy piece of land with nothing on it. You know, there were several hundred thousand people, but other than that, it didn't produce an economy."

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Weird that a Canadian politician said a place was uninhabited except for all the indigineous people living there.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Can you sue or otherwise charge your MP with a crime? Because that feels like hate speech

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

Weird that a Canadian politician said a place was uninhabited except for all the indigineous people living there.

"If you can even call the untermensch people. My grandfather would be spinning in his grav... why are you looking at me like that?"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I work with a guy who can't shut up about "the wokes" and challenging him on it will surely mean bad things for me so i just glaze over and walk away and wait for the anonymous confessions box.

If he so much as thinks about danielle smith i'm going to walk through the nearest closed window

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 2, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Glimpse posted:

Happy to be wrong.

It used to be the case that you couldn't get an abortion in PEI but they opened a clinic in the last 10 years or so. Before that you had to go to Nova Scotia.

As for ford and culture war stuff, he'll do whatever he thinks is popular. in the US a lot of this stuff ends up being electoral poison in the long run, but you can never predict if someone figures out the right mix of cruelty and think-of-the-children to turn into a policy people will vote for.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You will still be able to get an abortion in Ontario, but only if you have at least 25,000 optimum points

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dreylad posted:

As for ford and culture war stuff, he'll do whatever he thinks is popular. in the US a lot of this stuff ends up being electoral poison in the long run, but you can never predict if someone figures out the right mix of cruelty and think-of-the-children to turn into a policy people will vote for.

Speaking of Ford and Poilievre: https://apple.news/Aqx7uDlywRKW_690oQg2gtQ

quote:

'Pierre is going to win': PC insiders privately fear more MPPs will abandon Doug Ford for Team Poilievre

Blindsided by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre poaching one of his provincial cabinet ministers to run federally, Premier Doug Ford is girding for more departures.

As the premier gathers with Progressive Conservatives for a policy convention in Niagara Falls this weekend, he is mindful that Poilievre may pilfer more of his caucus for a federal election expected next year.

Ford's turf is fertile ground for the federal Conservatives because PC MPPs represent dozens of ridings that are also held by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberals.

That means veterans who have won back-to-back provincial elections — and have local name recognition — could help the rookie federal Tory leader topple Liberal incumbents, especially in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area that is crucial to a Poilievre victory.

"I wouldn't say they're jumping ship," Ford insisted Wednesday in Aurora when asked about the surprise departure of former minister of red tape reduction Parm Gill on Jan. 25 and the potential for others to leave.

"I think the world of Parm, I wish him all the best. He was a federal MP before," he said, referring to Gill's service in the caucus of prime minister Stephen Harper between 2011 and 2015.

Asked what he would say to any of his caucus thinking about departing for federal pastures, Ford said, "My message is to anyone — no matter when I ran my private company or run the government — no one has a handcuff on anyone."

Hours after the premier's comments — and nearly a week after Gill bolted — Poilievre issued a statement.
"Parm will be an asset to our common sense Conservative team in our mission to axe the tax, build the homes, fix the budget and stop the crime," said the federal leader.

Poilievre's enthusiasm for Gill's arrival isn't shared broadly by others within the party, some of whom deride the Ford Tories as "conservative-lite."
Several federal Conservatives admitted to the Star some confusion as to why Gill was brought on since they don't see the ideological stars aligning between the national party and its Ontario cousin.

The unexpected resignation of the Milton MPP, who only won his seat in June 2022 by 1,680 votes, has sent a jolt through Queen's Park.

Sources told the Star the provincial Tories are worried that MPPs representing ridings in Toronto, Peel, Halton and York Region, as well as some in northern Ontario, may jump to Poilievre's surging federal Conservatives.

Public opinion polls show they have a healthy lead over Trudeau's three-term Liberal government with an election scheduled to be held by October 2025.

"Why wouldn't they think about it? Pierre is going to win and they can make a lot more money" as federal representatives, said one concerned Ford Tory, speaking confidentially in order to discuss internal deliberations.

Indeed, there was grumbling in PC ranks after the Star reported on Jan. 17 that the premier would keep MPPs' salaries frozen at the same level they have been since 2008.

The base salary for an MPP is $116,550, while Tory parliamentary assistants earn $133,799 and cabinet ministers make $165,851. The MPPs' pension plan was eliminated in 1996.

In contrast, MPs, who receive annual raises in April and have a pension, had base pay of $194,600 last year while federal ministers made $287,400 and Liberal MPs who serve as parliamentary secretaries earn $213,400.

Publicly at least, Ford stresses he is not worried about an exodus, emphasizing his party's resilience.
"I believe that the people of Ontario have a lot of confidence in us — all you have to do is look at the polls," the premier said at Wednesday's crime-fighting announcement with federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc.

That was an apparent reference to the Star's monthly tracking poll conducted by Abacus Data.

The most recent survey, released last week, had Ford's Tories holding steady at 38 per cent support, with Bonnie Crombie's Liberals at 27 per cent, Marit Stiles's New Democrats at 23 per cent and Mike Schreiner's Greens at five per cent.

Using online panels based on the Lucid exchange platform, Abacus surveyed 995 Ontarians Jan. 18 to 23. Although opt-in polls cannot be assigned a margin of error, for comparison purposes, a random sample of this size would have one of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Another high-ranking provincial Tory said fears of the federal party raiding their benches are "overblown" and the premier isn't concerned about a brain drain.
While Ford, who works closely with the Trudeau Liberals and counts Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland as a personal friend, has only met Poilievre briefly, some of his cabinet ministers are supporters of the federal party.

According to Elections Canada disclosures, Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy, Education Minister Stephen Lecce, Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister Paul Calandra, Transportation Minister Prabmeet Sarkaria and Northern Development and Indigenous Affairs Minister Greg Rickford each donated money to the federal Tories last year.

Bethlenfalvy (Pickering-Uxbridge), Calandra (Markham-Stouffville) and Sarkaria (Brampton South) have Liberal MPs as their federal counterparts. Lecce (King-Vaughan) has a Tory MP in his riding.

Rickford's Kenora-Rainy River seat has slightly different boundaries, with part of his riding represented by a Tory and part by a Liberal MP. He was a minister in the Harper government.

Poilievre's inner circle is populated by people who once worked for Ford but are no longer close to the premier, including the federal leader's most influential adviser, Jenni Byrne, deputy leader Melissa Lantsman, chief of staff Ian Todd, party executive director Mike Crase, lawyer Michael Wilson and press secretary Sebastian Skamski, among others.

Despite — or perhaps because of — those long-standing relationships, there are tensions between the federal and provincial parties.
In part, that's because those around Ford and Poilievre are well aware of their political history: Ontario voters traditionally opt for different parties to be in power at Queen's Park and Ottawa at the same time.

The phenomenon even has a name: Underhill's balance theory, named for the famed Canadian political scientist Frank Underhill, who also wrote the Regina Manifesto that led to the modern-day New Democratic Party.

Over the past 80 years, for example, different parties have been in power federally and in Ontario 85 per cent of the time.

That suggests when the Tories are in the ascendance in Ottawa, the Liberals or the New Democrats do better at Queen's Park and vice versa.

Time — and the next federal and provincial elections — will tell if that trend continues.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If only the libs spent the last year or so building up a leader from within to hand the reigns off to rather than Trudeau loving around.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

There's something amusing about the caucus being so mercenary and power hungry that the party fears enough of them will jump ship midterm that it'll cause a problem.

Nice party you've got there.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

apatheticman posted:

If only the libs spent the last year or so building up a leader from within to hand the reigns off to rather than Trudeau loving around.

I know it seems stupid but I swear they want to lose. Maybe to force Trudeau out since he wont go on his own. Maybe the numbers behind the curtain show bad times ahead and they would prefer the Cons be at the helm when the ship goes down. Maybe they are losing control of their own party and they see this as their only way to hit a reset button.

Or maybe they are just incompetent dingbats high on their own supply.

Either way, unless its a Con minority we are in for some rough loving times ahead.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

There's something amusing about the caucus being so mercenary and power hungry that the party fears enough of them will jump ship midterm that it'll cause a problem.

Nice party you've got there.

Honestly it reminds me a bit of OLP people jumping ship during Wynne's tenure as premier as Trudeau's campaign was kicking off.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Oh yeah, that went well for them.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Furnaceface posted:

I know it seems stupid but I swear they want to lose. Maybe to force Trudeau out since he wont go on his own. Maybe the numbers behind the curtain show bad times ahead and they would prefer the Cons be at the helm when the ship goes down. Maybe they are losing control of their own party and they see this as their only way to hit a reset button.

Or maybe they are just incompetent dingbats high on their own supply.

Either way, unless its a Con minority we are in for some rough loving times ahead.
I take some comfort in the fact that most of the power in this country rests in the hands of the premiers, so Poilievre's potential damage is mitigated.

Except I live in Alberta godDAMMIT-

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Albino Squirrel posted:

I take some comfort in the fact that most of the power in this country rests in the hands of the premiers, so Poilievre's potential damage is mitigated.

Except I live in Alberta godDAMMIT-

The good premiers* just need to take whatever provincial powers bullshit Smith tries to flex, and use it for themselves in a way that helps people. That'll get it shut down right quick.

*I don't actually know if there are any good premiers

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Pleads posted:

*I don't actually know if there are any good premiers

I thought the BC NDP was good until about an hour ago

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Manitoba's hasn't had time to be a shitter, I guess?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Selina Robertson was also a terrible Housing Minister under Horgan that did nothing remarkable of value.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Pleads posted:

Manitoba's hasn't had time to be a shitter, I guess?

So far so good, Wab's NDP has increased education funding, have been negotiating in good faith with public unions and brought an end to the MPI strike, killed some private renewable energy plans hydro was set to fund in order to make the projects public, working to get health care properly staffed back up so they can reopen emergency rooms the conservatives closed but I think most understand realistically that's going to take longer than 4 years to bring up to speed as health care has been a goddamn mess since the Filmon years and Pallister/Stefanson poured gas on the fire. The cons left them with a billion dollar deficit but they still seem to be accomplishing stuff and their major compromise was a cut to the gas tax, which was supposed to be a way to curb carbon emissions but also with cost of living through the drat roof I can see the wisdom, politically, in cutting 14 cents off the dollar at the pumps as one of your first big policy moves.

I'm cautiously optimistic, the MB NDP seem to be taking the job and their slam dunk electoral win seriously but it's still very early.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Have the cops tried to ratfuck him yet?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

apatheticman posted:

I'm pretty sure that even if Trudeau did take a walk in the snow and decide that he should resign, his successor would absolutely get flattened, and that would probably be true even if a new leader had taken over a year ago.

Furnaceface posted:

I know it seems stupid but I swear they want to lose. Maybe to force Trudeau out since he wont go on his own. Maybe the numbers behind the curtain show bad times ahead and they would prefer the Cons be at the helm when the ship goes down.

I think there's been a downturn in public sentiment far enough in advance of the election that Poilievre has a good chance of being able to successfully blame any of his failings on Trudeau. I would be completely unsurprised if Trudeau derangement syndrome wins Poilievre two elections, not just one.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

BC NDP is dominating in the polls by simply governing the province competently. I’d prefer we were stepping on the gas while they have power, but it beats the other alternative and is extremely popular. Hopefully the trend spreads to MB too.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I went to go look at the list of premiers and it is indeed pretty depressing.

I don't know a single thing about Andrew Furey, does he suck or what?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Will Trudeau end up regretting his decision to walk away from electoral reform?

God, I loving hope so. Can't wait for a 150 seat Conservative majority with 32% of the vote.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Fidelitious posted:

I went to go look at the list of premiers and it is indeed pretty depressing.

I don't know a single thing about Andrew Furey, does he suck or what?

No more than any other nfld premier lol

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

Damecca Lounge, it was amazing

Hell yeah, I live just down the street. Gonna swing by this weekend.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

You will still be able to get an abortion in Ontario, but only if you have at least 25,000 optimum points

:whitewater:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://x.com/khelsilem/status/1753510821467230699?s=46&t=eYnb6uC9Nqku2TRAz1AKtQ

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
The alberta anti-trans stuff is just more wholesale adoption of american conservative politics. The american conservative media machine is really well funded and works really well, so they might as well adopt it for a convenient distraction while they sabotage public healthcare and sell off public land to their donors.

It works so well I've seen plenty of canadian chuds cry about their first amendment rights, and now they're even gearing up some stollen election stop the steal "we must interfere with elections so the librals don't!!" nonsense.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Jesus, I hadn't seen that part. She distinguishes between the indigenous nations in her theoretical conflict and "regular people". Colonizers are "regular people", indigenous peoples are not.

There is no apology to be done here, she needs to be forced out.

Also yeah, I think others would weigh in if one indigenous nation was attempting genocide of another.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
White people are gonna hand-wring about that idiot saying the quiet part out loud to save face and then do literally nothing about it like they have for the past 300 years and will until the environment snuffs us all out.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Fart Amplifier posted:

https://twitter.com/ABDanielleSmith/status/1752814944716734935

Puberty blockers and hormone therapy to be banned for minors 15 and under.

Parental consent required for name changes for 15 and under and notification required for name change for 16 and 17 year olds

I'm looking for some good articles/testimonials/videos about the experiences of trans youth, and the importance of early intervention, compared to delaying until adulthood.

There's an argument that fundamentally rests on "but kids are dumb and don't know what they want, just wait until they're adults before making such an important decision" that I don't have the knowledge/experience/eloquence to push back on, beyond "puberty doesn't nicely line up with the drinking age"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kids are dumb and don’t know what they want is an argument for puberty blockers not against them.