Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They put the God back in Godzilla.

They really did. Weirdly enough while giving him personality too.

I'm still fond of Skull Island, it's just all about showing off the most insanely hosed up kaiju ecosystem like something out of a mix of a pulp adventure story and the more wonderfully deranged kind of D&D bestiary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I really hope there’s no Hawaiian stuff because that feels like a Burton obsession stemming from his love of the fifties and Americana type stuff and I really hate that era and styling. This is also why I was unsurprised to hear his next project is a remake of attack of the 50 foot woman - another b movie type thing. Great. Please make some more interesting stuff boomer.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Enderzero posted:

I really hope there’s no Hawaiian stuff because that feels like a Burton obsession stemming from his love of the fifties and Americana type stuff and I really hate that era and styling. This is also why I was unsurprised to hear his next project is a remake of attack of the 50 foot woman - another b movie type thing. Great. Please make some more interesting stuff boomer.

When was the last time that Burton made an actually interesting movie, honestly?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm not sure why you'd be interested in a Burton film if 50s kitsch isn't your thing, that aesthetic is what most of his good films are riffing on.

This is the first I'm hearing of him doing Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, though. Not sure he's really a good match for the material (what's Joe Dante up to these days?) but as a lover of 50s monster b-movies... it's got nowhere to go but up. The original movie has nothing redeeming about it except for the poster. Collosal Man/Beast, Bride of Candy Rock, and hell, even Village of the Giants all have far more to offer.

But yeah, the last Burton thing anyone seemed to like was Big Fish, and I guess teenagers like Wednesdy?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Wait, is Burton actually involved in Wednesday? That show felt like suspect #1 of poo poo people think of when they think of Tim Burton but actually it was some other guy.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Didn't HBO already do a remake of that in the 90s? It starred Daryl Hannah!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

Wait, is Burton actually involved in Wednesday? That show felt like suspect #1 of poo poo people think of when they think of Tim Burton but actually it was some other guy.

He directed the show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DarkSol posted:

When was the last time that Burton made an actually interesting movie, honestly?
More than two decades ago

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

DarkSol posted:

Big fish? I know he’s insanely talented and I love his sense of style/art director training he mixes in with that 50s crap from when he was a child, so I’m just hoping he does something with the former and no more of the latter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Monsters vs Aliens was already a thing and pretty fun. We need more 3D Kaiju movies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Megamind is back in streaming form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXb7tWC2W5o

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Big Fish, for sure. I know people who defend Sweeney Todd even though it’s him throwing a bone to Carter and Depp, but I think they made it work. Dumbo’s a resentful curiosity, that Alice in Wonderland live action fiasco was like watching a diorama that loved to inflict violence against eyes, and… I didn’t hear awful things about Big Eyes? Someone I used to talk to indicated a lot of his past success was built on the foundation of collaborators he’s steadily alienated, but that sounds catty as hell. Here’s hoping Beetlejuice Beetlejuice will be more than I expect.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Is Will Farrell really that busy these days that he can't do half-assed voice recording so they have to get a terrible impersonator?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DarkSol posted:

Dumbo was honestly an interesting take on….uh…..Dumbo. Shame the most interesting live action remake Disney put out is the one the least people saw. I assume.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes I'm pretty sure Dumbo was the worst performing of the modern Disney remakes. Most of the other ones were pretty good in terms of box office other than Mulan, which unfortunately came out during Covid

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Grendels Dad posted:

That show felt like suspect #1 of poo poo people think of when they think of Tim Burton but actually it was some other guy.

There's no way this will ever not be Nightmare Before Christmas.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I believe a movie about a 50 foot woman will perform 100 times better today than it did back in the 50s knowing how people on the internet react. I for one am already in line for tickets.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sourdough Sam posted:

I believe a movie about a 50 foot woman will perform 100 times better today than it did back in the 50s knowing how people on the internet react. I for one am already in line for tickets.

I dunno if giantess fetishism is going to lead to that many sales.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

In 3D!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Did you see how people responded to the large Resident Evil lady? And she was only like 10 feet tall!

Hasturtium posted:

I know people who defend Sweeney Todd even though it’s him throwing a bone to Carter and Depp, but I think they made it work.

Sweeney Todd's only real downside is that some of the cast just aren't that great at singing, which is pretty bog standard when in comes to movie musicals. And it's nowhere near the level of something like Les Mis, it's just you wish they were a little better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're right, studios should really try to tap into the findom demo, that's a box office guarantee

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Sweeney Todd's only real downside is that some of the cast just aren't that great at singing, which is pretty bog standard when in comes to movie musicals. And it's nowhere near the level of something like Les Mis, it's just you wish they were a little better.

Sweeney Todd is kind of an outlier for Burton from that era as it only uses minimal tacky CG. The practical gushing blood fx are great. The music is top notch of course but yeah Depp's singing is pretty mediocre when compared to Len Cariou, the original Sweeney. Some pretty gorgeous sequences and shots too.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 2, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

Ah thats interesting. Rise of the Beasts was a clusterfuck of a movie to make. I never want to ever be on a transformers movie again after that experience.

I know there were a bunch of a scripts thrown together but exactly what was bad about it from your exp?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So despite saying that he was out Jim Carrey has been confirmed to be returning for Sonic 3. I'm sure they were able to bring a big enough dump truck of money to his house.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

Big Fish, for sure. I know people who defend Sweeney Todd even though it’s him throwing a bone to Carter and Depp, but I think they made it work. Dumbo’s a resentful curiosity, that Alice in Wonderland live action fiasco was like watching a diorama that loved to inflict violence against eyes, and… I didn’t hear awful things about Big Eyes? Someone I used to talk to indicated a lot of his past success was built on the foundation of collaborators he’s steadily alienated, but that sounds catty as hell. Here’s hoping Beetlejuice Beetlejuice will be more than I expect.

I’m a mild defender of Big Eyes, it’s an ok rainy sunday boring movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I know there were a bunch of a scripts thrown together but exactly what was bad about it from your exp?

Edit and audio changing every day. When you're trying to hit a deadline in a vfx studio for a movie, it can't be changing every single day or the show will never finish.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

feedmyleg posted:

You're right, studios should really try to tap into the findom demo, that's a box office guarantee

i think dakota johnson is taking this angle on madame web

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

No way. There's too much competition from the gatcha market.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

muscles like this! posted:

So despite saying that he was out Jim Carrey has been confirmed to be returning for Sonic 3. I'm sure they were able to bring a big enough dump truck of money to his house.

I'll be seeing this in the theater

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

i think dakota johnson is taking this angle on madame web

Next ad is just gonna be Sydney Sweeney counting down from 20 and then a jet of webbing covers the screen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I had to see Sonic 2 with my eldest a bunch of times and I must say, Carrey as Eggman is delightful.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

Edit and audio changing every day. When you're trying to hit a deadline in a vfx studio for a movie, it can't be changing every single day or the show will never finish.

Reminds me of what was supposedly going on with Marvel recently.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sourdough Sam posted:

It's really funny that the OG ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN is much smarter and more adult film than any of its official or unofficial remakes. One of the few times a pretty decent film has been reduced to an infantile fetish punchline.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Smh at American cinema insisting in enforcing their outdated unit system.

We should get Attack Of The 15.24 Meter Woman drat it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

Smh at American cinema insisting in enforcing their outdated unit system.

We should get Attack Of The 15.24 Meter Woman drat it

They're not going to risk alienating the feet guys

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Carl Weathers, passed away at 76.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 2, 2024

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

He's pushing pencils in heaven now :(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Gonna get a stew goin'.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can I get a Predator gif? You know the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was really surprised to learn that his Arrested Development character being a cheapskate was totally his own idea and Mitch Hurwitz just wanted to do a Rocky parody. Terrific comedic instincts.