Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Adder Moray posted:

So we all agree Adam's going to respawn in hell, right? Would actually make something click. Angels don't generally die and sinners don't generally put in the work to be redeemed. So the last step to getting "reassigned" being "you die again" makes some logical sense.

I would definitely appreciate that result as it literally shows angels can in fact fall for being unrelentingly awful and demons can be redeemed if they put the work in to improve. Although honestly it makes a lot of sense that Pent was the first to go up. He was never very good at being evil anyway and very quickly calmed down once he was accepted into the hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also now that Sera’s seen definitive proof that Charlie’s plan can work I wonder if that means we’ll be seeing more of them next season (considering what happened last week I kind of expected Emily to rebel against the system to be honest).

And yeah, this raises a good point of “What happens to a soul if it dies in the afterlife?” Pentious got a ticket to Heaven but we don’t know about Adam and the other angels killed during the raid on Hell (though the latter becoming a permanent resident would be some delicious irony)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 2, 2024

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Last two episodes breathed good and had good tension. Music was pretty good and the action was exciting. I wasn't expecting such a large scale battle and they did a cool job of it even if some shots were hard to parse.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m hoping there’s more episodes or improvements to bigger picture writing next season, as the biggest flaw on first watch is the pacing. I get that giant corporations don’t just hand Youtube creators a show deal every day, and animation in particular is expensive. So Amazon greenlighting just eight 25ish-minute episodes makes sense. But I wish the writers had more faith in the show getting a second season and slowed things down.

Like if you add it all up, you may not even get a full episode of the actual premise of the Redemption Hotel. They have to set up all the other arcs and how everything ties together, but we lose out on a lot of characterization that undermines character moments down the road.

But at least they have enough for a second season. For a moment I thought they may have everything wrapped up in eight episodes.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

I’m hoping there’s more episodes or improvements to bigger picture writing next season, as the biggest flaw on first watch is the pacing. I get that giant corporations don’t just hand Youtube creators a show deal every day, and animation in particular is expensive. So Amazon greenlighting just eight 25ish-minute episodes makes sense. But I wish the writers had more faith in the show getting a second season and slowed things down.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. It's not an issue of season count. Season 1 had to end with the question of whether or not the hotel can work answered, whether it was 20 episodes or 4.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Like if you add it all up, you may not even get a full episode of the actual premise of the Redemption Hotel. They have to set up all the other arcs and how everything ties together, but we lose out on a lot of characterization that undermines character moments down the road.

But at least they have enough for a second season. For a moment I thought they may have everything wrapped up in eight episodes.

No it was already confirmed there’d be at least one more season before this one even officially dropped (the creators plan on having this outlive its sister series overall but we’ll see if reality goes along with those plans)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 2, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also current rumor has it that we might not see the Hazbin crew again until next year (though time will tell on that one) but at least we should be switching back to HB in a couple months if I heard right

https://thedirect.com/article/hazbin-hotel-season-2-release-when

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Larryb posted:

Also current rumor has it that we might not see the Hazbin crew again until next year (though time will tell on that one) but at least we should be switching back to HB in a couple months if I heard right

https://thedirect.com/article/hazbin-hotel-season-2-release-when

i wouldnt be shocked. they have apperently JUST started recording season 2 or finished recording it. so maybe christmas this year at the earliest.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I was hoping Adam would look more schlubby.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I liked the show overall and i was way more invested then i thought i would be. I do think i enjoy helluva boss better, partly because designs and partly because it has had like 4 years to grow into something. i think the biggest sin of hazbin is pacing but i have heard alot of people talking about it who normally dont and apperently it did well, so my guess is it gets at least 3 seasons.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do we know when Helluva’s supposed to be coming back for that matter? I’ve been hearing anywhere from April to sometime this summer

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
This show kinda gives me the same vibe as Matt Groening's disenchantment and that didn't really progress its plot at all spinning its wheels until the fifth final season so I'm all for getting to the point this time

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can't really call this season a deviation from the premise, TBH, so much as it's an establishment of it, putting together all that's necessary for the Hazbin Hotel to exist as an institution (the end of the exterminations, the proof that demons can ascend, and the official backing from the majority of the powers that be).

It was basically an origin story, and now we get into the actual business.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Not really a spoiler but just in case (music nerdery) - the Vaggie/Charlie duet had some fantastic harmony. It was too short! I wasn't sold on the voice Beatriz is putting on for Vaggie but goddamn she still has some chops. I want to hear more of them singing together like that.

Overall, good poo poo. I still think the pacing was off but if I think of it as an extra long stage musical it works, and everything it set up for next season is interesting. Pentious being the one made me laugh out loud.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So that ending changes a lot of our rpevious assumptions huh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LegionAreI posted:

Not really a spoiler but just in case (music nerdery) - the Vaggie/Charlie duet had some fantastic harmony. It was too short! I wasn't sold on the voice Beatriz is putting on for Vaggie but goddamn she still has some chops. I want to hear more of them singing together like that.

Overall, good poo poo. I still think the pacing was off but if I think of it as an extra long stage musical it works, and everything it set up for next season is interesting. Pentious being the one made me laugh out loud.

Oh yeah, Vaggie didn’t get a lot of chances to sing this season did she? Hopefully that’ll change going forward

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm prepared to believe that Lilith is actually a prisoner of Heaven's exorcist faction, captured and blackmailed into working with them. There's still a chance that she was the one who bound Alastor as a last-ditch effort to protect her family.

On a semi-related note, I'm glad that Lute is sticking around as a major villain. Feel like there's room to explore more of what goes on inside the head of Adam's pet attack dog.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I really hope Adam somehow shows up as a demon in a reverse of Pentious' situation, because as much of an rear end in a top hat as he was, he was equally entertaining and I loved whenever he was on screen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm prepared to believe that Lilith is actually a prisoner of Heaven's exorcist faction, captured and blackmailed into working with them. There's still a chance that she was the one who bound Alastor as a last-ditch effort to protect her family.

On a semi-related note, I'm glad that Lute is sticking around as a major villain. Feel like there's room to explore more of what goes on inside the head of Adam's pet attack dog.

It seemed like Lute had an axe to grind that went beyond her Executioner duties as well so I look forward to getting to know her a little better as things develop (Lilith’s a wildcard at the moment but I could see something like what you described happening)

And yeah, Adam becoming a permanent resident of Hell because of how much of a colossal rear end in a top hat he was could be fun too

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 2, 2024

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's pretty much perfectly in line with the majority of mine, at least.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
That went different than I imagined.

So all they needed was angel weapons? No one actually used one in defence when getting attacked by an angel before? At all? There's some nitpicks about the show like that you can definitely question all year long. Rather wish it had been some secret weapon.

Vaggie still has wings! Or they regrew. And if they regrew unless one uses angel weapons against her she might be still invincible? It's a thought.

Had to laugh at how Carmine was saying how Vaggie being an angel was obvious. Liked their fight and song. Also she looks better with her hair down.

Rosie was charming, never thought a cannibal could be so nice. But then they are all smiles aren't they? Even the kids!

The fight wasn't as big as it could be, but a full blown war was likely outside of the budget. Still it was fun to see it go down.

Adam looked normal? So much for the scar face theory. He definitely was strong but against the power hitters he can only do so much. Did put Alastor into retreat, that showed he was strong in his own right.

Nifty killed Adam! That was awesome. Loved all the stabbing she did. She's likely one of the most infamous people in Hell now.

Lute lost an arm not an eye, neat. Robot arm incoming?

Pentious dying so suddenly was bit of a laugh and touching moment at the same time.

Cheri is part of the staff now? It looked like that to me.

Pentious going to heaven was a good chuckle, he never was good at the whole bad thing. Sera looking in disbelief while Emily was happy excited were the perfect reactions. Will they (Sera) hide him? Do they want Heaven to know people in Hell can be redeemed?

Hell, what will Charlie and co think when they find out! Proof it can happen and if that gets advertised in Hell, well. That could go places.

The new Hotel looks great. Didn't expect Alastor to reveal he was still around until next season.

So much for all the Lilith theories huh. Now everyones thinking Eve. Lilith actually made a deal to hide out in Heaven? Earth? Guessing Adam viewed it as sticking to to Lucifer for what happened and that was enough of a reason to allow it. That or there was more to it.

It's been stated already by enough people that the pacing needs to be corrected, that can turn off people.

For season one they didn't know a season two was going to exist until midway through, not sure how that happens but it is what it is. Looking forward to more.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 2, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Still wondering if we’ll ever see Cain. Hard to top his DC Comics version though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I really hope Adam somehow shows up as a demon in a reverse of Pentious' situation, because as much of an rear end in a top hat as he was, he was equally entertaining and I loved whenever he was on screen.

I assume that either he or Alastor will be the 'final boss' for the Hotel's rehab programme. Dude is going to eat so much poo poo as a rank-and-file sinner with his kind of attitude.

Relatedly, I hope Sir Pentious continues to play a significant role post-ascension. He feels like a character who still has plenty of mileage to him, and will likely be an important ally to Emily. Also, I bet that proud bad girl Cherri would have extremely confusing feelings about him showing up again as an angel.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

The Last Call posted:

So all they needed was angel weapons? No one actually used one in defence when getting attacked by an angel before? At all?

Someone did, though. That's how they found out.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Someone did, though. That's how they found out.

Yes, but no one in all the time before this had tried. You'd think someone would, as pointed out the angels weren't exactly well armored or even thinking they could get hurt. There were a ton of angel weapons in Hell. It just bugs me. They literally had the weapons to fight back, even if to try and hide after.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

[quote="The Last Call" post="537556067"]

So all they needed was angel weapons? No one actually used one in defence when getting attacked by an angel before? At all? There's some nitpicks about the show like that you can definitely question all year long. Rather wish it had been some secret weapon.

I think no one has ever had the balls to actually attack an angel before Carmine did. She even details how their fighting style is all "attack attack attack" with no thought to defense.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Which is why I'm surprised no one ever thought to use one, even if it was so they could get away and hide. Again, you'd think someone of some type would have tried.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Which is why I'm surprised no one ever thought to use one, even if it was so they could get away and hide. Again, you'd think someone of some type would have tried.

They might've but who's to say they would've survived long enough afterwards to spill the beans.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Rosie's design I loved a lot, her look though reminds me of a gif/scary image floating around the Internet for a while of a lady with black eye holes and needle teeth from a movie that I can't find any information on but it was everywhere at one point in any scary image thread.

Edit: Dead Birds is the movie that's from.

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 2, 2024

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I mean we even see the result of said when Adam finds out they killed even one. He upped their execution really quickly. I do not blame what's her face for being very hush hush about the ability to kill angels. The fact not EVEN Alastor stood a chance.

That was honestly the biggest surprise. Alastor lost. I was not expecting Vivie to have her OC like actually lose. Sir Penetious being the one to sacrifice himself and get into heaven. Lol at Sara's face at realizing that a demon got into heaven. Can't wait to see how that unravels.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
RIP Dazzle :smith: hope they made it to heaven

Caros
May 14, 2008

Flopsy posted:

They might've but who's to say they would've survived long enough afterwards to spill the beans.

Well Adam does explicitly say that no one had ever killed an angel before. And he wouldn't have been surprised by their own weapon if it was a known factor from a wounded angel.

Honestly it is one of the weaker parts of the finale. Much like with pentious being redeemed even though people like carmine exist, it feels weird to suggest that not one of the violent psychopaths in hell ever tried stabbing an angel with their own weapons, even though angels have left armouries of the stuff lying around.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alastor immediately losing the moment Adam gets a minute to breathe is genuinely funny. Pecking order!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Alastor immediately losing the moment Adam gets a minute to breathe is genuinely funny. Pecking order!

I quite liked Alastor getting his ego deflated and having a private freakout about it. The best part is he's losing his poo poo because he did it in defense of the hotel for benevolent reasons. The thought of having something positive attached to his name drives him round the bend.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Caros posted:

Much like with pentious being redeemed even though people like carmine exist,
Carmilla hasn't died again. Plus she's an overlord. She loves her kids, but I doubt she doesn't have a fat stack of post-death sins that make Pentious' rap sheet look tame.

Funky Valentine posted:

Probably worse to him given it looked like he actually thought he could take Adam

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Covok posted:

I was thinking the same thing. It would make a lot of sense, but would raise questions about people who already been killed and weren't reassigned. Are they super dead because they died again in their proper place or is there more to it? Not sure. When you introduce true death and afterlifes, these questions always get raised

They’re just in hell 2, obviously

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So Lucifer is actually super loving strong huh

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Covok posted:

I was thinking the same thing. It would make a lot of sense, but would raise questions about people who already been killed and weren't reassigned. Are they super dead because they died again in their proper place or is there more to it? Not sure. When you introduce true death and afterlifes, these questions always get raised

Angels probably just regen in heaven. Demons being gone for good does prevent them from trying to game the system by doing the bare minimum and getting themselves offed to see if it worked. Gotta really put in the work and be sure before you get yourself killed.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume that either he or Alastor will be the 'final boss' for the Hotel's rehab programme. Dude is going to eat so much poo poo as a rank-and-file sinner with his kind of attitude.

Relatedly, I hope Sir Pentious continues to play a significant role post-ascension. He feels like a character who still has plenty of mileage to him, and will likely be an important ally to Emily. Also, I bet that proud bad girl Cherri would have extremely confusing feelings about him showing up again as an angel.

Al long as Pentious still has two dicks, I think Cherri will find a way to make it work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Madurai posted:

Al long as Pentious still has two dicks, I think Cherri will find a way to make it work

She's got her motivation for redemption now lol