Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Good god, you inherited a camera whos first hit on google that isnt the main leica website is "Why is the Leica M10 so expensive?"

I have no advice for you, really, other than to say enjoy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Are you sentimentally attached to it? Because selling it would get you a whole lot of kit from Canon/Nikon/Sony and get you going smoother than getting a lens for it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
That's a terrible burden and I'll gladly take it off your hands for the cost of shipping

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you sentimentally attached to it? Because selling it would get you a whole lot of kit from Canon/Nikon/Sony and get you going smoother than getting a lens for it.

Yeah, this. And it will be so much easier and probably more fun to use. M10 has no autofocus

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
If you want to shoot in a rangefinder style then just get a Fujifilm X-Pro or X series camera. The former is an interchangeable lens system, while the latter is fixed with a 23mm f/2.0 lens but you can buy converters to change the focal length.

Learning photography with a Leica is like learning to drive in a Ferrari

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's not great condition. I've looked and it would probably go for around 3500. That's not nothing but it's not a fortune and I'd rather keep it. I don't want to spend thousands on lenses and happy to tool around with it and learn the ropes. Just asking about opinions on voigtlander lenses.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

they're bomb rear end. don't listen to these haters. keep it.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Sounds good, OP. Here are 40 other suggestions other than holding on to that Leica:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Lily Catts posted:

If you want to shoot in a rangefinder style then just get a Fujifilm X-Pro or X series camera.

These are not rangefinders

V for Vegas posted:

It's not great condition. I've looked and it would probably go for around 3500. That's not nothing but it's not a fortune and I'd rather keep it. I don't want to spend thousands on lenses and happy to tool around with it and learn the ropes. Just asking about opinions on voigtlander lenses.

Voigtlander is great. There's a lot of up and coming Chinese lens manufacturers for leica m mount, too

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

Yeah, this. And it will be so much easier and probably more fun to use. M10 has no autofocus

I cannot even imagine getting into photography as a self taught beginner using a camera with no autofocus, lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’ll be harder but it will make you better.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My first SLR was a clapped out KX and as a 12 year old self taught beginner I did fine with it. I think the OP will probably enjoy learning the camera and if not it’ll still be worth about the same if they decide to ditch it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Since there's no autofocus anyway you might look into vintage lenses. You can pick up good ones for pretty cheap ($50-100) and experiment with different focal lengths, see what you enjoy shooting at. Trade up to modern lenses when you have a better idea what you like to do.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

V for Vegas posted:

If you're gonna keep it, get yourself a Voigtlander Nokton Vintage 50mm f/1.5.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Since there's no autofocus anyway you might look into vintage lenses. You can pick up good ones for pretty cheap ($50-100) and experiment with different focal lengths, see what you enjoy shooting at. Trade up to modern lenses when you have a better idea what you like to do.

I agree with this. Get a wide (<35) and normal (50) and a long (85+) and go hog wild.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

I cannot even imagine getting into photography as a self taught beginner using a camera with no autofocus, lol

Focus is the easiest part. Best starter camera is manual focus aperture priority IMO. Makes you think about focus and depth of field while still holding your hand on exposure

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I got into photography through rangefinders. It's really not that hard, especially

Megabound posted:

Focus is the easiest part. Best starter camera is manual focus aperture priority IMO. Makes you think about focus and depth of field while still holding your hand on exposure

Yeah, if you have something that helps with exposure.

e: if anything, manual focus was part of what drew me in to photography because it involved me in the picture in a way a cell phone didn't

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 2, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I love manual focusing and even as a beginner I would often run with AF off just to learn the process

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

If the camera you're using to learn has focus peaking, manual focus is very doable as a beginner. I shot manual more than auto when I was first starting out and it helped me get a sense of focal depth more quickly

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Doesn't no autofocus basically cut you out of doing any of sort of photography other than essentially still landscapes? And I guess everyone else has had a different experience, but what seems to be in focus on a tiny camera screen often proves to be a bit blurry when the pictures are viewed on any sort of larger scale. I suppose that experience could drive one to invest more deeply in the art of taking tons of poor photos and studying them until you master the theory, kind of like how the karate kid cleaning the windows learned how to defend himself from being attacked, but... Uh, whatever. Almost all of the talk about which of the newest camera systems to buy seems to center around which has the best autofocus system. I guess there's just two schools of thought.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

Doesn't no autofocus basically cut you out of doing any of sort of photography other than essentially still landscapes? And I guess everyone else has had a different experience, but what seems to be in focus on a tiny camera screen often proves to be a bit blurry when the pictures are viewed on any sort of larger scale. I suppose that experience could drive one to invest more deeply in the art of taking tons of poor photos and studying them until you master the theory, kind of like how the karate kid cleaning the windows learned how to defend himself from being attacked, but... Uh, whatever. Almost all of the talk about which of the newest camera systems to buy seems to center around which has the best autofocus system. I guess there's just two schools of thought.

People have been taking sharp photos of all kinds of things since the late 1800s

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Cameras designed for manual focus are designed for manual focus. Y'all are focusing (no pun intended) on the idea of focusing on a modern AF body that isn't built for manual focusing. Things like split prisms or rangefinders give you focusing information and if you aren't stopped down to f/1.4 or whatever you can easily get close enough to focused. People, including amateurs, did it for literal decades.

For subjects, for me, it was mostly friends and (adult) family that could stand still for ten seconds or just zone focusing for things like random birds at the park or whatever

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

Doesn't no autofocus basically cut you out of doing any of sort of photography other than essentially still landscapes?

only if you're shooting fast stuff at 1.2

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Better action photos than anyone in here has taken has been done with full manual. Modern tastes certainly prioritize perfect focus but a bit of softness definitely works if the photographer knows their poo poo.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

For a less dismissive answer, modern digital cameras are not designed to be manual focused so that kind of photography has taken a back seat. Modern Leicas are rangefinders where you can't even see what your lens is seeing. You have a lovely big bright viewfinder and a little patch that you align 2 images in to get critical focus. Rangefinders are highly valued by street photographers who like to shoot on the move, cause with a little practice you can get very quick and focusing them, and following focus is a lot easier than with an SLR or similar. You can also use techniques like zone focusing to get everything from like 2m - 10m in sharp focus (like a 35mm lens at f8) and not bother focusing, just gauge distance to your subject and pop off the shot.

I don't own a camera with auto focus and I also own cameras with no way to check focus at all where all I can do is estimate distance. It's something you get good at.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

People have been taking sharp photos of all kinds of things since the late 1800s

Ahh, yes, like everyone else, I recall seeing these photos. For a less dismissive answer, like literally everyone else on this planet, I do not recall seeing these photos, because they pretty much do not exist.

Edit: Here come a bunch of awkward photos of some crazy eyed farmers from the 1800's attempting to not move for their big photo shoot

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

what

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Like I'm sort of curious, have you ever seen a viewfinder on a manual focus camera? This more or less what my first SLR looked like through the lens:

You line up the lines in the two halves of the circle and you're in focus

e: okay you're having a very normal one

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

Ahh, yes, like everyone else, I recall seeing these photos. For a less dismissive answer, like literally everyone else on this planet, I do not recall seeing these photos, because they pretty much do not exist.

You've seen VJ Day in Times Square right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://neilleifer.com/collections/muhammad-ali

or like, anything here

oh, you're doing the purposefully dense trolling thing again \/

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

You've seen VJ Day in Times Square right?

Ahh yes, victory over Japan in the 1800's. I remember that well

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ah yes, Muhammad Ali, famous 19th century boxer

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's honestly not that hard. I picked up a vintage lens and have been playing with it, I certainly get a lot more slightly blurry pictures than with autofocus but after a few hours of practice I got sharp cat pictures, which I consider a major win.

It's fun. I'm not interested in ditching autofocus, I'll be using that most of the time, but for the kinds of photography I'm interested in doing with a manual lens having tack-sharp focus isn't important anyway.

litany of gulps posted:

Ah yes, Muhammad Ali, famous 19th century boxer

He said since the 1800s, not in the 1800s. Autofocus didn't exist until like the mid 1980s. You have seen lots of manual focus images that were not landscapes.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 2, 2024

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

Ahh yes, victory over Japan in the 1800's. I remember that well

The same technology has existed for a long while. 120 film, still shot and made today, was introduced in 1901. Roll film types 101 - 110 were introduced in 1895 along with the cameras to use them. People bought sheet film and plate before that. Photography is old, people have been doing this for a long time and managing to get sharp photos on the move.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

He said since the 1800s, not in the 1800s. Autofocus didn't exist until like the mid 1980s. You have seen lots of manual focus images that were not landscapes.

Obviously, we're all being flippant here. Everyone has read accounts of Vietnam war photographers and others basically explaining how they had no loving idea whether or not anything they shot was worth a poo poo until after the fact. Obviously some of those photographs turned out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

Obviously, we're all being flippant here.

No, pretty sure it's just you.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This photo is by Eugene Atget, it was taken in 1899

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

No, pretty sure it's just you.

You're probably right. There's a handful of good photos from every decade of the early and mid twentieth century, so manual focus is actually what everyone should be using in their photography. Nevermind the presumably vast number of lost opportunities.

Ease of use has led to a tremendous proliferation in photography. Do you figure this is a bad thing? Would it ever have happened without taking good pictures becoming easy as a result of cell phones? Of course not. A few pages ago there was that poster mocking the idea of spending a thousand bucks on a new camera because he thought that the average photographer wouldn't ever use the features on such a device and just wanted something barebones. I disagreed, but ya'll are wild. The number of actual people willing to go this far in their independent study of photography is miniscule. Like trying to sell someone seeking to go from listening to music streamed from Youtube straight into buying gold contact Monster cables to hook into a turntable.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

Doesn't no autofocus basically cut you out of doing any of sort of photography other than essentially still landscapes?

skill issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

You're probably right. There's a handful of good photos from every decade of the early and mid twentieth century, so manual focus is actually what everyone should be using in their photography. Nevermind the presumably vast number of lost opportunities.

Ease of use has led to a tremendous proliferation in photography. Do you figure this is a bad thing? Would it ever have happened without taking good pictures becoming easy as a result of cell phones? Of course not. A few pages ago there was that poster mocking the idea of spending a thousand bucks on a new camera because he thought that the average photographer wouldn't ever use the features on such a device and just wanted something barebones. I disagreed, but ya'll are wild. The number of actual people willing to go this far in their independent study of photography is miniscule. Like trying to sell someone seeking to go from listening to music streamed from Youtube straight into buying gold contact Monster cables to hook into a turntable.

You know you're on a photography art subforum right? Enjoy whatever cameras you enjoy, I'm not going to take that away from anyone. But a lot of people here are still shooting film or expensive Leicas with no autofocus. There's places where autofocus is very useful for sure, birding or sports, but it's a tool in the bag not a necessity to take good photos.