Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Man. I can't get over this trade. It truly changes the complexion of this season for the O's. They needed a guy like him SO bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

How about dem O's

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sharknado slashfic posted:

How about dem O's

THIS

IS

BIRDLAND

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

happy corbin burnes liberation day to the rest of the NL Central

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

happy corbin burnes liberation day to the rest of the NL Central

this is woodruff's walk year too and they already jobbed him in arb

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Surely the Brewers are now going to sell everyone else who's in a walk year right? No point in half-assing it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cardinals signed Kenyan Middleton

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

more falafel please posted:

He’s out for the year so yeah of course a team is going to release him.

Other than the Orioles the Brewers minor league system rivals anyone and their top guys will be in the MLB or AAA this year. And that was before adding two MLB ready guys. I do expect at least Adames to get traded now though. Maybe Devin Williams but I would only expect that if the Brewers are out of it completely near the deadline. Otherwise everyone else has years of control or the untradeable Yelich.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i really wish yelich had had his one insanely good year any other year than 2018 so we could still be talking about National League Most Valuable Player Ednel "Javier" Báez

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

(wishing on a monkey's paw for the Brewers to finally go into the shitter) the st Louis cardinals have won 115 games behind 5'4" rookie mvp candidate "consumption" orville van creen

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Surely the Brewers are now going to sell everyone else who's in a walk year right? No point in half-assing it

Both the guys they got plausibly are in the majors to start the year and that division stinks. There's really only Adames that's an FA and I'm not sure he nets all that much now vs the deadline.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

more falafel please posted:

Woodruff was non tendered

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Personally I think the Brewers should go forward with tearing it down to the studs, and that the Pirates, Reds, and Cardinals should follow suit in solidarity.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm terrified of elly de la cruz

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

found some good brawls from the 1980s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFJ8d0ffMYM

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The brewers have no interest in winning a pennant so I’m happy that burnes will get a full season for an actual contender and that I will get pre-2018 ticket prices

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Orioles are who I had hoped the Jays would become.

Now I just hope Vlad can be great again.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Komet posted:

I really hope the new ownership is more progressive about streaming. I haven't watched an Orioles game since 2015. I'd easily drop $10 or more per month to stream MASN.

Maybe there was some other legal red tape, but it just didn't seem like the Orioles take streaming seriously.

Are they allowed to while the thing with the Nationals is going on?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Did the Brewers wake up yesterday and go "Yeah, were sick of having a Cy Young winner on our staff. Get rid of the fuckin bum"

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

he was making too much money and we’re pooooor

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Did the Brewers wake up yesterday and go "Yeah, were sick of having a Cy Young winner on our staff. Get rid of the fuckin bum"

They were reported to be trying to cut payroll earlier in the postseason, I thought.
It's not a great idea, but I feel like the 3 1/2 teams in the NL Central that give half a gently caress don't think the rest of the division is very good.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/IvyFutures/status/1753401071957848378?t=QHpYYQ0e9I_QKR9MGMBFAw&s=19

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

tadashi posted:

They were reported to be trying to cut payroll earlier in the postseason, I thought.
It's not a great idea, but I feel like the 3 1/2 teams in the NL Central that give half a gently caress don't think the rest of the division is very good.

From an outsider's view of the division...are they wrong?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Contract the Brewers, why the gently caress is the state giving the owner $500 million to upgrade Miller Park? This team is as toxic as gently caress

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ortiz and Hall are both major league ready and controllable for years. Keith Law has been or the Ortiz train for a few years now.

Plus a high pick? I don’t think it’s some fleecing or anything.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Theo's back, hooray?
https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/1753421583794794727

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Not that I’m upset with the Red Sox being basement dwellers, but until they increase payroll that’s nothing more than a bad team bringing back a fan favorite to placate folks.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AndrewP posted:

Ortiz and Hall are both major league ready and controllable for years. Keith Law has been or the Ortiz train for a few years now.

I didn't realize limited pick-trading was in the new CBA and I'm glad for it. Bring on the chaos

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The pick we traded was the Competitive Balance one, what's really disgusting is until yesterday, we had three first round picks despite winning 101 games and already having one of the best farm systems in the game. (We had 22, 32 from ROTY, and 34 from CB round A)

Whatever else I can say about Mike Elias hoarding prospects, the man knows how to build a loving farm.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Lmao Brewers got spooked from the blowback of the mid-season Hader trade and gave Burnes away for some spare parts.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Devlan Mud posted:

Lmao Brewers got spooked from the blowback of the mid-season Hader trade and gave Burnes away for some spare parts.

I think the Hader trade was actually pretty defensible, they had Devin Williams ready to step into that role and Hader wasn't looking himself! Plus they turned Ruiz into Contreras (and Payamps) which is crazy good stuff.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

(wishing on a monkey's paw for the Brewers to finally go into the shitter) the st Louis cardinals have won 115 games behind 5'4" rookie mvp candidate "consumption" orville van creen

*extremely boog voice* it brings me no joy to report the creeniacs are at it again

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Austin Riley has the lathe of heaven which is probably fine as long as you’re not a huntable creature in the gulf states

https://twitter.com/jamesonbouldin/status/1753116482114867657?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The Brewer fanbase has been so annoying since the Hader trade. It’s like all the Selig era residue but without the remembrance of what that was actually like. There’s economic realities when it comes to baseball and the Brewers are the smallest market in the league. Yet they don’t do the true bullshit of other small markets. MA is not Bob loving Nutting or Fisher or have to operate in an extreme Rays fashion. I had to wait until my 20s to finally actually see the Brewers in the playoffs once the Seligs finally sold the team so obviously I am colored by that. But everyone was doom and gloom post Fielder era but they quickly reloaded and were a game from away from the World Series. It’s sad this go around ended like it did but who knew Yelich would turn into a potato. But just like post Fielder the team is already good to go. They do invest a ton of money into player development as they rebuilt their Arizona facilities, have a pitching lab that continually turns pitchers into monsters, and just built a big facility in the Dominican Republic. The last draft they manipulated perfected and managed to sign guys later in the draft thought to be unsignable. They are dominating countries like Venezuela where they have gotten super prospects like Quero and Chourio. But everyone wants to cry because we traded our closer for what will end up being Contresas, a good reliever, and Gasser who is ready to be in the starting rotation.

I get it and this is probably partly cope of seeing Burnes go, but the Brewers system and development have never been anywhere near this good. They have a billion top prospects that are coming in waves and they will be in a position like the Orioles sooner than later.

A brutal part of this though was telling my daughter who has a Burnes poster he was traded. She goes well at least we still have Rowdy. Oof sorry girl he gone too.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

AndrewP posted:

Ortiz seems like he can be a capable everyday player and Hall will likely top out as an elite bullpen guy, seems reasonable for 1 year of Burnes.

Anyway thank you based capitalist David for making me forget about the Ravens already.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Komet posted:

As much as I hate Peter Angelos for systematically destroying the club one a decade after it finally gets good, is this something I should be excited about? Should I be cautiously optimistic or ecstatic?
Peter Angelos was the most pro-labor owner in sports history, it's too bad he wasn't good at running a baseball team. He really tried for awhile.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Artix posted:

From an outsider's view of the division...are they wrong?

They're not, it's a cupcake division. Reds and Pirates have some exciting young prospects/players but they're surrounded by poo poo and are otherwise still run on a shoestring budget. Cardinals have "Gray and pray for rain" for their entire pitching staff and an aging offense that probably bounces back next year but also probably never gets back to where they were in '22. Brewers trade guys the second they get expensive because ownership blew their one big extension on Yelich who immediately fell out of superstardom the second the ink was dry. Cubs are still probably a worse team than last year when they won 83 games and ownership is too spooked by big contracts to bring in AS free agent talent that could actually push them over the edge into the division favorites.

It's really dumb because like, honestly any team could have balled out this offseason and easily become the division favorite. But instead everybody cheaped out or sold off so it's all still clustered.

Hand Row posted:

There’s economic realities when it comes to baseball and the Brewers are the smallest market in the league.

Eh, the TV market may be small but they were smack in the middle both in terms of average attendance per game and total attendance overall last year (15th out of 30) and just got handed $545M of taxpayer money by the Wisconsin legislature for stadium refurb. It also ain't like Attanasio is poor, he just invested a bunch of money in the new grift the PGA is doing. I'm not saying restocking the farm isn't important from time to time and I think the return for one year of Burnes was pretty solid, but if I were a fan I'd be livid about poo poo like trading Hader in the middle of a competitive season to save a quick buck, or flipping Burnes for prospects instead of just locking him up on an ace extension.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Nobody should be talking about the "economic realities" of "small market" teams after what happened with the A's! It's all transparently bullshit and the league and owners all proved that!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Well yeah I just relatively to how baseball organizations behave, the Brewers generally punch above their weight when it comes to payroll and such. Could they being doing more? Of course but there’s many other teams that could be doing vastly more ie Red Sox, As etc.

The state funding thing has gotten smarter by framing it with the income tax they collect on the players. I dunno how states without an income tax are shoving these giveaways in this era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

I'm not saying restocking the farm isn't important from time to time and I think the return for one year of Burnes was pretty solid, but if I were a fan I'd be livid about poo poo like trading Hader in the middle of a competitive season to save a quick buck, or flipping Burnes for prospects instead of just locking him up on an ace extension.

They'll be even more upset when Burnes is a Cub in 2025.