Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

hallo spacedog posted:

My favorite episode of this is the one about Seabozu, the sad monster that fell from space and is crying cause it wants to go back to space and iirc Ultraman beats him up for good measure anyway

lol he's such a loving prick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Don’t know if this thread is aware of this site, but they have a ton of Kaiju (esp ‘zilla) stuff and jusy about every weekend they have been doing free international shipping on orders of any size: https://www.suruga-ya.com

I’ve made.. many orders with them and they all come to the U.S. within about a week. Everything I have bought has been in great shape.

The only qualm I have with the site is its using machine learning for JP -> ENG translations and that can really end up funky/break things like search queries on there.

Its awesome to buy a hard to find DVD for like $3 with 0 shipping cost and then rip it with something like MakeMKV to watch on any device.

Thinking of picking up some UltraQ stuff from there.

Lol well this is certainly a unique combination of titles for the front page:

:nws:

:nws:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oh wow, they have white dr dolittle. that is weird

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of fanmade relics, someone uploaded a new version of Legendary Beast Wolfman vs. Godzilla recently which had a few minutes of new footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DH6hJG0HOg

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Wolfman_vs._Godzilla

Why is Wolfman posing this fabulously?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

oh wow, they have white dr dolittle. that is weird

Kirk Lazarus takes a lot of unexpected roles.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

His hair was perfect

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I believe that as the youth say it nowadays he is serving oval office

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Saw Minus One Minus Color today and I think that the B&W works really good for the human scenes, since it's already a period piece and whatnot, but I think that Godzilla looked better in color so it's a bit of a wash all told.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I haven't seen it, but that's how I figured it'd work out.

The scenes with his atomic breath make really good use of that cool blue color (very similar to cherenkov radiation actually) that probably doesn't work as well in B/W.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Saw Minus Color in 2D. The film itself was just as impactful the third time (and, as a bonus, the friend I went with who was seeing it for the first time came out saying he’d be telling everyone he knows that it’s a must-see). The scene where Shikishima bares all to Noriko gets me every time.

Though the Minus Color experience for me was not much different given that the original is a pretty desaturated film to begin with, I thought it was very well done and the black and white lent it some period piece gravitas.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
We saw Minus Color in 4DX over the weekend. Great film, the B&W treatment really drove home how bleak post-war Tokyo was.

4DX was off the chain during that battle sequences. I'm glad my drink had a lid.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Minus One is now the third highest grossing foreign language film in U.S. history and has a shot at the number two slot (Life is Beautiful). It won't catch number one as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is miles ahead.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

please god let it beat that Italian garbage

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Minus One is now the third highest grossing foreign language film in U.S. history and has a shot at the number two slot (Life is Beautiful). It won't catch number one as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is miles ahead.

Supposedly they are ending the run on Thursday, so it probably won't catch up to number two.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, I finally found a way to watch GMK. Just a shame it's the dub.

Nothing against the dubs for Godzilla films in principle, mind. It's a cherished tradition, and some of them put in real effort, while others are exactly the level of pleasantly crappy to enhance the general atmosphere of the film.

GMK's dub doesn't work for either, though. It's a serious film with a weak dub, so the emotional impact is hurt.

("What's up, you lost your parents?" is a standout bit of awkwardness.)

The film itself is better, but some aspects don't work for me, like the way civilians treat kaiju attacks. At once it's casual, suggesting a Showa style setting where this kind of nonsense was commonplace, and skeptical, with plenty of people doubting Godzilla ever existed despite extensive documentation and at least one other giant monster attacking New York. There's a lot of goofy reaction shots, too, which plays oddly with the more dramatic deaths elsewhere in the film. The film similarly has an awkward dynamic with the reporter and her father, where they both get protagonist focus at various points, but the reporter gets more, while her father is the one who actually gets the victory. Not bad, but a little awkward.

Overall, I agree with the consensus it's one of the better Godzilla films. The monster fights are fun (poor Baragon getting tossed is a highlight), even if Mothra and King Ghidorah have less interesting stuff to do (and more weak CG) than Baragon, the humans are well done, there's some neat ideas with the supernatural side and the legacy of guilt thing (although I felt like more could have been done with it).

It's just that I also kind of feel... ah, overrated is one of the most useless phrases in these discussions, but I might as well use it when nothing else does better. It's a perfectly fine Godzilla film that gets put in fights above its weight class, that's all. Someone says it's a favorite, fine, personal taste. Someone says it's one of the better films, worth watching, sure. Not my reflex pick, but it's got enough going for it to be a solid suggestion, depending on criteria.

But put it next to the original, Shin, or Minus One, it's not even close. GMK didn't feel like one of the best Godzillas ever. It felt like people wanted another top tier Godzilla, so they found the nearest pretty good one, and settled on it. Not a mark against it, so much as, I dunno. A warning to keep expectations in check more than for some of the others.

Still. Good movie. Glad to have seen it.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

MrMojok posted:

His hair was perfect

that guy murders a piña colada

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea GMK is good but not in the very top tier. For that you should watch Godzilla vs Megalon

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

Yea GMK is good but not in the very top tier. For that you should watch Godzilla vs Megalon

:hmmyes:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every time Godzilla vs Megalon gets brought up I think of that one Calvin and Hobbes

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

drat, those Classic Media commentaries provide tons of detail that I haven't seen anywhere else. They actually talk about filmmaking and the various people involved and their careers. not inane trivia like "this is the second feature where Mothras eyes are blue"

(they're on YouTube still)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

drat, those Classic Media commentaries provide tons of detail that I haven't seen anywhere else. They actually talk about filmmaking and the various people involved and their careers. not inane trivia like "this is the second feature where Mothras eyes are blue"

(they're on YouTube still)

Yeah, the Classic Media releases (and the first Criterion release) enlisted the expertise of a generation of "fandom scholars" that, in the pre- or early-internet days, were pretty much the only reliable sources for a comprehensive history or overview of the franchise. Most of that information is pretty widely available now (in part due to their efforts), and Toho's (admittedly lurching, bumbling) steps to make the series more visible and social media savvy have rendered them obsolete in many ways. But at the time that those DVD commentaries were released in the 00s, it was like imbibing wisdom from the Great Masters.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Got a chance to see Minus One Minus Color last night before it left the theater. The black-and-white experience was interesting, it didn't distract from the film as much as I thought it might, but I also don't think it added a ton either. I ended up having two complaints walking out of it this time:

1. The perennial complaint of Godzilla films, but the big destruction scene in Ginza was too short. On first viewing, I didn't realize how short it was, but watching it back again, from the moment he starts chucking around buses and the like until the big hero shot of him against the mushroom cloud can't be more than 5 minutes. I know it was not an expensive movie, and they definitely made the most of those 5 minutes, but I can't help but wish there was more of it.
  2. Scoring that scene with the classic Godzilla march doesn't really work - it initially grabs you as a long-time fan, but I always associate that song more with Godzilla's heroic outings, and him showing up here to do nothing but wreck shop because he can doesn't really gel with the upbeat tempo of that song. (It does work gangbusters when scoring the scene where all the heroes start their big ship-based counterattack at the finale; if you were only gonna deploy it once in the film, it should have just been there.) Especially watching it back in black-and-white, if you're gonna make a call back to the older Godzilla films and underscore how much of a bastard this version of the character is at the same time, I kinda feel they should have scored it with this track instead. Feel like it would also segue into the track they played over everyone realizing how screwed they are to Godzilla unleashing his atomic beam a little more gracefully.

Still relatively minor complaints, all told. Otherwise, no notes. Still a great film. Took my mom and my aunt to see it, and they both walked out impressed, even when they both expected it to be cheesy schlock more in line with the goofier Showa era films.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I felt that the use of the Godzilla vs Mothra theme variation for the Ginza attack was clever because it starts off with the fanfare before transitioning into more somber strings. Made for a nice contrast with the later fanfare which went straight into the classic up-tempo strings more commonly associated with the theme song. The first is a funeral march, the latter is fighting back.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you or your kiddies play Minecraft theres a new Godzilla DLC coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ6g51nl6v4

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla collabs are the new hotness it seems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAzs8qBNkfY

With a blink and you miss it Ebirah appearance!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://x.com/tohokingdom/status/1753120568826892588?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I had to look two or three times to make sure this wasn’t some NFT or AI art. I would like to buy whatever this figure is.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://x.com/tohokingdom/status/1753120568826892588?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I had to look two or three times to make sure this wasn’t some NFT or AI art. I would like to buy whatever this figure is.

Yeah the artist has shared a lot of those and apparently it's been given the green light and is going to become a figure. I'm not sure what medium it will be in, I'm hoping soft vinyl as I collect sofubi and cat sofubi are a favorite of mine. edit: nope looks like it's going to be a resin statue.

edit: FB post about it https://www.facebook.com/oppa661/posts/pfbid0jnfKxoYqv7LWfTvnvwoC4fPQNoPnu66os8cP61Q5PjVYdNpwqEDryPgYhAzHn9vwl

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I saw Minus Color last night and kinda loved it. The first 20 minutes are a little too dark and some of the action looked a bit muddied but everything else looked nice.

I’m still completely taken aback by how much I love this movie. And not only me, but also the handful of friends I’ve converted along the way who’d never seen a (Toho) Godzilla film before. One of those friends has seen Minus One (and Minus Color now) in theaters 4 times and is in the process of framing a beautiful huge 20x20 blockprint of the first boat scene for her apartment, again despite never watching a Toho G film before.

I loving love that so much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ginza attack will be the thing most people remember thanks to the atomic blast but the whole boat sequence is absolutely the best part of the movie.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah all of the attack sequences are in credibly strong. The Ginza scene is amazing because it shows how incredibly hosed up Godzilla's heat ray is even though we saw it in the vs. Takao but the wind up and horrific blast on land was more horrifying.

But I agree the boat sequence was goddamned wild and a super high point of the movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The high point were the two destroyers starting their attack run and the music kicking in immediately after Godzilla nukes the decoy boats.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The high point were the two destroyers starting their attack run and the music kicking in immediately after Godzilla nukes the decoy boats.

The entire ending has the exact same energy as one of those movies/episodes where a whole town has to work together to put on a fundraiser show to save the old theatre and I just love it to pieces. Every human in the movie is just incredibly endearing.

Every Godzilla movie should end with just a bunch of regular folks banding together to gently caress up Godzilla instead of relying on the military or a different monster.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The entire ending has the exact same energy as one of those movies/episodes where a whole town has to work together to put on a fundraiser show to save the old theatre and I just love it to pieces. Every human in the movie is just incredibly endearing.

Every Godzilla movie should end with just a bunch of regular folks banding together to gently caress up Godzilla instead of relying on the military or a different monster.

Let's not get carried away here

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That is in fact crazy talk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah it should be a community of monsters coming together to beat the poo poo out of rear end in a top hat Godzilla.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I love the Ginza attack for the sheer malice. He's intentionally wrecking buildings, not falling into them or hitting them as an unavoidable result of his size. You can almost hear him thinking, "gently caress you and gently caress YOU," as he smashes each building." But I think my favorite, "I'm not an indifferent force of nature, this is personal, I want to gently caress up as many of you as I can," moment is when the crowd is running away from Godzilla and he knows he can't catch and stomp all of them but...

Oh, I have a long tail. Stop, turn in place, blast a shitload of buildings ahead that will take out a bunch of the poor bastards that might get away.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1753267177019355550?t=VoqYKm1SfxxZSkwa1Mg7qw&s=19

These Hiya Toys figures are seriously giving SH Monsterarts competition.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Asterite34 posted:

Let's not get carried away here

Dawgstar posted:

That is in fact crazy talk.

:wrong:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1753267177019355550?t=VoqYKm1SfxxZSkwa1Mg7qw&s=19

These Hiya Toys figures are seriously giving SH Monsterarts competition.

I've got a few of the Hiya Toys in hand and their Monsterarts version and 100% Hiya Toys is the better product. They are half the cost but much better sculpted and the quality is seriously leaps and bounds ahead.

I'd say you loose some articulation, but it's so minimal and were talking about a character who doesn't exactly do lots of dynamic posing.

I can't recommend them enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah it should be a community of monsters coming together to beat the poo poo out of rear end in a top hat Godzilla.

You would think this would've been King of the Monsters... but no, all those monsters were there, just offscreen, wreaking havoc too. No, they're on a different continent, you wouldn't know them.