Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Framboise posted:

I dunno, I feel like if you drop a 7 mana dude and have a way to flicker or reanimate it reliably you should be winning the game. It isn't like there aren't more things that are stronger at a lower cost after all.

Sylvan Primordial and Sundering Titan are both cards that I personally find kinda weird to ban since they cost so much, but it's probably more about feelbads than power, yeah?

Yeah. They both share two main qualities: they're much better in Commander than they would be in any 1v1 format, and they both give you a mana advantage that's both boring enough to not feel like it won the game and big enough to be what won the game when you look back on how things turned out. There's stronger things to be doing, but do you really want to play against them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sylvan isn't good enough for people playing competitively, and in casual games it warps the game in an unpleasant way. Seems like a good ban to me imo, everyone wins.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's one of those woncons that doesn't actually kill your opponent just put them so far behind they'll never recover, but because it's a four player game there's no incentive to be the first one to realize the game is over, so you have to shamble along until everyone understands the game is over

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://x.com/Top8Games/status/1752818838289133656?s=20

BDM post. Could be complete BS, but spicy WOTC news.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I have a couple rules questions that came to mind recently. If you thoughtsieze yourself are you able to "fail to find" and not discard? I know this comes up when you thoughtsieze an opponent and all they have is a wilt leaf liege you can't choose not to discard that.

But if your thoughtsieze gets misdirected back to you, you don't have to show your hand so presumably you can fail to find, yes?

The other question is for the new card Expose the Culprit

How does the shuffling work if some of the creatures have counters or auras attached?

e: I just re-read it and realized it exiles so those all fall off. Nevermind.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

But if your thoughtsieze gets misdirected back to you, you don't have to show your hand so presumably you can fail to find, yes?

You do have to show your hand (it says reveal, not "look at target player's hand"), and fail to find only works in hidden zones.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

https://x.com/Top8Games/status/1752818838289133656?s=20

BDM post. Could be complete BS, but spicy WOTC news.

there's a few reports on this - the most concrete speculation I saw is that Larian (the people who made Baldur's Gate 3 and that Tencent has some stake in) wants a to get licensing to keep making d&d games off of, y'know, making the only good licensed d&d game in the last few decades

but that's something people would want and is a less spicy headline than "China wants to own Dungeons and Dragons"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah it’s buried in the article but it’s just about video game license rights, BDM got fooled by his banker friend who also didn’t read the whole article.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

flatluigi posted:

there's a few reports on this - the most concrete speculation I saw is that Larian (the people who made Baldur's Gate 3 and that Tencent has some stake in) wants a to get licensing to keep making d&d games off of, y'know, making the only good licensed d&d game in the last few decades

but that's something people would want and is a less spicy headline than "China wants to own Dungeons and Dragons"

A bg4 years down the road would come with ton of hype.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

A bg4 years down the road would come with ton of hype.

I'd be cool with them making new Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale games

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That "teeth teeth teeth" tweet but "Planescape"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I was gonna get mad about "last few decades" until I realised that BG2 was over 20 years ago.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Jabor posted:

I was gonna get mad about "last few decades" until I realised that BG2 was over 20 years ago.

The game that I played to death in college can graduate from college now. Oof.

I also found out a couple months ago that you can get BG1 portrait playmats from Mike Sass's Etsy store but not BG2. After buying one (and he signed it!) I asked about BG2 and he said he'd think about it. So here's hoping! I have no idea why WotC didn't phone him up for the Baldur's Gate set.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

flatluigi posted:

Icewind Dale games

Only if they collab with ropekid

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You do have to show your hand (it says reveal, not "look at target player's hand"), and fail to find only works in hidden zones.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I guess all 1-mana black discard spells are templated that way.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm really tired of Domain players keeping the greediest, most do-nothing hands and winning anyway

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Skill issue.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, I'm wondering if people can help me pick out a potential white commander deck to build out. I'm tired of not being able to do anything with like 20% of the cards I open, and I've wound up with a few Ixalan commanders that are apparently decent:

-Amalia Aguirre, the white/black that wants to turn twenty and explode.
-Anim Pakal, the white/red who wants a bunch of counters for garden gnome swarms.
-And Kutzil, the white/green who wants a board full of big fuckers so she can draw a bunch of cards.

My other decks are beefed-up versions of the Thirteenth Doctor deck (red/green/blue) and the Tegwyll fairy deck (black/blue); I intend to try building out them all, so there's sort of inevitably gonna be some competition going.

Going by my current collection Kutzil's probably got the headstart in terms of currently synergizing cards, and the things she wants from green don't really cross over with the Doctor's wants, but I'm not a massive fan of the 'haymaker' style strategy. I like getting weird and tricky. Amalia I've got some decent spice to join her, but there's a little bit of clash between her and the fairies over good black cards. Anim I don't have much that inherently synergizes right now, and also hits a struggle that she and the Doctor have a lot of crossover in appealing red cards, so she's probably not the one, but I'm still open to it.

I'm sort of tempted to get one of the Karlov Manor precons to build out in the same way as my other two decks, but I get the feeling they might all be a bit too specific in what they're up to. If the plan is just 'have something to do with all those white cards', Karlov's decks seem a bit too gimmicky to serve that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Deep Clue Sea is probably the one that runs least on its synergies, "draw some cards" is pretty standard bant tactics, but even then it's leaning more on the simic side.

My suggestion is to play around on a deckbuilding website like Moxfield or Archidekt and see what seems fun when you goldfish it

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Cleretic posted:

So, I'm wondering if people can help me pick out a potential white commander deck to build out. I'm tired of not being able to do anything with like 20% of the cards I open, and I've wound up with a few Ixalan commanders that are apparently decent:

-Amalia Aguirre, the white/black that wants to turn twenty and explode.
-Anim Pakal, the white/red who wants a bunch of counters for garden gnome swarms.
-And Kutzil, the white/green who wants a board full of big fuckers so she can draw a bunch of cards.

My other decks are beefed-up versions of the Thirteenth Doctor deck (red/green/blue) and the Tegwyll fairy deck (black/blue); I intend to try building out them all, so there's sort of inevitably gonna be some competition going.

Going by my current collection Kutzil's probably got the headstart in terms of currently synergizing cards, and the things she wants from green don't really cross over with the Doctor's wants, but I'm not a massive fan of the 'haymaker' style strategy. I like getting weird and tricky. Amalia I've got some decent spice to join her, but there's a little bit of clash between her and the fairies over good black cards. Anim I don't have much that inherently synergizes right now, and also hits a struggle that she and the Doctor have a lot of crossover in appealing red cards, so she's probably not the one, but I'm still open to it.

I'm sort of tempted to get one of the Karlov Manor precons to build out in the same way as my other two decks, but I get the feeling they might all be a bit too specific in what they're up to. If the plan is just 'have something to do with all those white cards', Karlov's decks seem a bit too gimmicky to serve that.
There is also a seperate EDH Thread where people talk about brewing a lot.
Having played with/against some of the ones here Amilia's text makes people constantly stare at your board in case you go nuclear, Anim Pakal manages to get out of hand surprisingly fast without people noticing and win out of nowhere, and Kutzil is some solid draw on demand in a deck that is focused on Counters and Combat. I think Kutzil will be easiest to build on a slender collection because +1/+1 Counters are an abundant evergreen mechanic you can always expand it with, but it's ceiling is lower than something like Anim Pakal.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think Amalia is much better as one of the 99 since a lot of the big 'go infinite' enablers with her are green.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm really tired of Domain players keeping the greediest, most do-nothing hands and winning anyway

The combo of the tri lands enabling domain 5 on turn two + the exile anything at flash speed for one mana when you get domain is what really fuels this deck. Excited for those to rotate out, as the matchmaker really loves setting jank decks against domain. Which is a bummer, as domain crumples to a quick aggro but mostly wins on turn six when it resolves big dino, multiverse, or atraxa.

It is at least nice having a villain deck - when they wiff on Atraxa and you kill them the next turn anyway, feel's great.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/MrLovenstein/status/1753423979858084267?t=9RftwQGkNAifB2KgVrtnAw&s=19

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The combo of the tri lands enabling domain 5 on turn two + the exile anything at flash speed for one mana when you get domain is what really fuels this deck. Excited for those to rotate out, as the matchmaker really loves setting jank decks against domain. Which is a bummer, as domain crumples to a quick aggro but mostly wins on turn six when it resolves big dino, multiverse, or atraxa.

It is at least nice having a villain deck - when they wiff on Atraxa and you kill them the next turn anyway, feel's great.

hi my name is leyline of the guildpact, look forward to seeing me on turn zero every game until leyline binding rotates

and then I'll be haunting pioneer by slotting into green devotion

have fun!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I don't play any commander but the handful of white spells with phase out effects are probably pretty cool with kutzil.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I got to play a prerelease today. Went 3-1 with a pretty sweet Izzet Sacrifice deck. Some notes:

-Play boosters are pretty fun. I had Maverick Thopterist in my pool. Two games I got to go turn two Gleaming Geardrake into turn 3 Maverick Thopterist. Someone else in at my table had Jace, Wielder of Mysteries. I think they got to ult it one game to win. It did seem like more uncommons/slightly more powerful at a prerelease, just form number of uncommons/rares.
-Surveil lands are good in sealed at least. Being able to put something in the graveyard for "collect evidence" or just filtering draws was great.
-I thought Gearbane Orangutan was the worst card in my 40 card deck. But he killed two different high mana value artifact creatures - Krenko's Buzzcrusher and a snuffler.
-The round I lost the player got Aurelia's Vindicator in all 3 games. The card was an absolute beating. It will blow you out a lot in draft - be careful for it.
-The Izzet sac theme seemed to work. I was able to make thopters a lot of turns (or clues) then sac them for lots of value.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Went 1 and 2 at my prerelease with Vannifar in my pool. When I could get her down, she was a house, but I punted pretty hard in too many games.

Store doesn't carry bundles anymore, and I didn't feel like buying a box, so I splurged on two collector's and pulled an invisible ink Massacre Girl so that makes me feel a little better.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Opened two of the wubrg leylines in my pool and then my pity prize pack had a loving third one in it :negative:

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Went to my prerelease, looked at my pool, and put together some bojangles WBG pile with a Crashing Footfalls (just because. Game 1, mull to 6 and draw no lands. Game 2, keep 7 and draw only lands turns 2-6. In between round one and two I get a call from my partner because one of our dogs bit the other. Typing this from my phone in the waiting room to get her stitches. I have a box waiting for me at home I guess :shrug:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/DXTt8MBTX2o?si=weQTaqSH4qmr1Bxd

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mix. posted:

Opened two of the wubrg leylines in my pool and then my pity prize pack had a loving third one in it :negative:

sell that poo poo as soon as you can, it's going to spike in price as people try to shove it in pioneer mono green

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Leyline and Archdruid's Charm are gonna get another card banned from G Devotion. Hopefully this time it'll be Kiora, the actual problem card in the deck, or maybe even Storm the Festival

because they'll never ban Nykthos

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
Just saw someone post their prerelease deck and it had Ixidor from the list.

They should have also included Scornful Egotist as a collect evidence enabler.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Ghostly prison is hysterically busted in limited as expected btw

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Had the new Massacre Girl in my pool and it is an absolute house that can turn combat tricks into 3 for 1s with ease.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I had the new Kaya planeswalker in my sealed pool. I don't think I used it very well, but by the end I realized how you could definitely build around it to get some beaters into the graveyard, exile them, then turn any token into that beater. It not having a true ult meant i didn't have to protect it too much, as long as it lived I could use it again next turn, so a couple opponents had a hard time dealing with it. I'm guessing it'll be part of some standard deck pretty quickly.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
I did a couple of prereleases and did better with this set than any of my past events (Wilds was 0-3 and Ixalan was 1-2)!

First one went 2-1. I was 2-0 with a Rakdos deck (with Rakdos and Massacre Girl and tons of little dudes, surveil, and removal) without losing a single game, and then lost 2 games in a row against an Orzhov deck that outraced me the first game, and the second just dumped a ton of tokens with Case of the Uneaten Feast out and then took out all my big threats with Kaya.

Second one I got two Teysas, Case of the Uneaten Feast as well, and lots of little white creatures, so I figured I would make an Orzhov deck similar to the one that beat me the day before, but most other black cards I had weren't too hot, so I put in some green and multicolor cards for a 3 color Abzan deck with 41 cards (still only 17 lands but there just wasn't a single card I wanted to cut, though on retrospect I could have cut a mana fixer) that went 3-0. Having a bunch of little white creatures to contest the board early, Teysa to start snowballing, and the heavier hitting green/white creatures to close out the games worked real well.
The second match we only got 2 games in and we drew on the 2nd game (ran out of time and both were down to 4 life at the end of the turn count). That match went on like 40 min. I would have lost had it gone two more rounds.
Perimeter Enforcer was and MVP and a nightmare with Due Diligence + Krovod Haunch.

cgeq fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 4, 2024

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Won my first prerelease with aggro WB splashing green for tolsmir. Just playing fliers on curve was key and all my rounds finished in 30 min while others were going to time. I assume that the ground was gummed up with 2/2 's.

Having 2 copies of the 2 mana can't be countered destroy target creature and a murder probably didn't hurt either.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I pulled a Syr Konrad (and new Massacre Girl) at prerelease…. now that’s freaking silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I really should have bought Gix when it was less than $10