Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

1stGear posted:

Fury is laying all the war movie tropes on so thick that it feels like a parody.

I also Googled the very first thing in a movie and its a complete lie, so that's an interesting stance for historical fiction.

EDIT: also very polite of these two anti-tank guns to wait till the tanks are halfway across an open field and also to only fire one at a time

It's a massive field and it's not like they're fully crewed by experienced gunners (like every unit we see in the movie, yank & kraut, they're probably a mix of scarred vets and babyface noobs) If anything they still fire too soon, since unlike the tiger later they miss all their shots!

Even if Fury wasn't good fun (it is) it'd still be worth it for the consternation it caused among YouTube's armchair rommels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

UFOTacoMan posted:

I was watching the original Deathwish and saw christopher guest's name in the credits, I had no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEXIIWaqEk

it also has a young jeff goldblum who wears a jughead hat and says the c-word

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xaris posted:

i will grant there may be some truth there but not to the coupsayer CHUDS!!! orange cheeto!! :argh: SNL dem poo poo rant

though it's hard to say. internet has always been toxic. i really hate the End of History dumb poo poo goons do (including many on this forum) where durr everything was bad before *insert socrates quote rant* and therefore everything is the same as it's always been

but i would say the general discourse has been worse across the board on social media, reddits, youtube comments, twitch, whatever. but i wouldn't say there's a nostalgic past where it was good either

Yeah I agree

cumpantry posted:

hes a big baby bitch op

I have no idea who you are

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I should get a Jughead hat

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah I agree

I have no idea who you are

Start paying attention

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the best thing for the country nfl would be balkanization and then the football teams could still play each other and ratings would spike when the blue state teams with generic focus grouped names play the red state racial slurs

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

I should get a Jughead hat

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

cumpantry posted:

Start paying attention

Oh your some gbs pervert who wandered in here because GRRM was mentioned

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Hootington posted:

Nope he is right about the hater thing

If anything understating it, online hatedoms have never been more of w thing and full of deranged drama llamas. There are entire topics you cannot discuss in public facing venues without at least some deranged lunatics coming in screaming about how you liking a thing is personally and deliberately contributing to the downfall of society, for nebulous and contradictory invented reasons.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything understating it, online hatedoms have never been more of w thing and full of deranged drama llamas. There are entire topics you cannot discuss in public facing venues without at least some deranged lunatics coming in screaming about how you liking a thing is personally and deliberately contributing to the downfall of society, for nebulous and contradictory invented reasons.
that's just liberal democracy in terminal decay coked up on internet brain emulsification. when you are facing degrading material and sociological conditions and feel powerless with resulting angst about it, you lash out and latch-on to aesthetics as the defining movement To Make a Difference. if you consume The Right Stuff, you are a Good Person and doing praxis-via-consume, if everyone elsed consumed the Right Stuff, we could defeat Bad Stuff. if someone consumes the Wrong Stuff, they are bad and hitlers and must be killed

basically reik thought

but i wouldn't necessarily say it's new, e.g. tumblr-era. is it worse? yeah probably

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the amount of slurs i hear per minute in video game voice chats (SPM?) seems lower, so it cant be worse then it was 15yrs ago.

my scientific study complete

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Popy posted:

the amount of slurs i hear per minute in video game voice chats (SPM?) seems lower, so it cant be worse then it was 15yrs ago.

my scientific study complete

i was playing among us vr and the kids in my game were saying poo poo like "stop youre creating an unsafe environment," and "go do self-harm," in the same tone of voice I'd hear kids yell friend of the family and oval office back when I was in middle school during the 00s. still hear a few n-bombs in call of duty chat

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i watched the 1975 japanese film bullet train this morning and man the line near the end where the guy says he wants to move to a country thats having a revolution not so that he can join the revolution but so that he can believe in people again is still doing a number on me

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sonny Chiba is so cool man

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I think there was a time 15ish years ago when normal people were first spending a lot of time online that everyone was pretty honest. it wasn't a perfect slice of what society was up to because some people posted everything they did and some people more or less lurked, but there was a lot of casualness.

now that everyone has hundreds-thousands of fb friends and ig followers (i.e. a shitload of strangers), everything is a performance or advertisement. everything is subject to history searching by employers and enemies. everything has to be a hot take because it's the only thing that gets traction in the algorithm. most people don't like those sorts of stakes in their idle posting, so all that private conversation shifted to group chats and discords with manageable numbers of people.

this all happened really quickly, since 2016 or so, and people like grrm are still struggling with the whiplash of how quickly the public social internet died.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xaris posted:

that's just liberal democracy in terminal decay coked up on internet brain emulsification. when you are facing degrading material and sociological conditions and feel powerless with resulting angst about it, you lash out and latch-on to aesthetics as the defining movement To Make a Difference. if you consume The Right Stuff, you are a Good Person and doing praxis-via-consume, if everyone elsed consumed the Right Stuff, we could defeat Bad Stuff. if someone consumes the Wrong Stuff, they are bad and hitlers and must be killed

basically reik thought

but i wouldn't necessarily say it's new, e.g. tumblr-era. is it worse? yeah probably

Basicaly yeah. And I think the nucleus of it is from all the tumblr people who migrated to twitter and got even worse. Apparently they tried to go back to tumblr and got told to gently caress off, lol

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

gently caress GRRM for slandering the DPRK

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
its pretty funny that people have been waiting ten years for him to finish his book series and meanwhile he's doing this poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tristeham posted:

its pretty funny that people have been waiting ten years for him to finish his book series and meanwhile he's doing this poo poo.

Would you really want him to write more if this is where his brain is these days though?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Xaris posted:

basically reik thought

Yeah this recent piece by Rebecca Solnit is a parody, but a parody that's nearly identical to real life:

https://lithub.com/rebecca-solnit-how-to-comment-on-social-media/

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
people started making money on YouTube for doing react videos and the bigger more exaggerated the reactions the more clicks you're gonna get from the widest audience, combine that with CinemaSins level "criticism" and it's a race to the bottom of people recording themselves watching Anything and screaming "WHAT IS THIS, WHY IS THIS HAPPENING"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think MST3K and Red Letter Media established a good precedent that if you're going to mock something it should be done by a Midwestern oaf and you should have to make your own low effort sets and props to show that it's all in good fun

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

this is why when it comes to "fandom", more and more people should be saying "fandon't"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

people started making money on YouTube for doing react videos and the bigger more exaggerated the reactions the more clicks you're gonna get from the widest audience, combine that with CinemaSins level "criticism" and it's a race to the bottom of people recording themselves watching Anything and screaming "WHAT IS THIS, WHY IS THIS HAPPENING"

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think MST3K and Red Letter Media established a good precedent that if you're going to mock something it should be done by a Midwestern oaf and you should have to make your own low effort sets and props to show that it's all in good fun

yea. so many people get caught up in the race to declare everything the worst, the biggest trainwreck, etc. when in reality there's a ton of stuff that sucks in a way too boring to mock. mst3k had the right idea because the best episodes of the show are on low budget schlock that usually have some interesting ideas but with baffling execution.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Srice posted:

usually have some interesting ideas but with baffling execution.

Similarly, RLM's best stuff has either been showcasing Neil Breens stuff or their breakdowns of the Star Wars prequels.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GRRM is simultaneously correct and a big whiny baby

If I were an author of any particular renown I would absolutely not seek out online discussion of my work

Maybe fanart but that's it

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'd like him more if he could be honest and admit he welcomes the hate.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Action Jacktion posted:

it also has a young jeff goldblum who wears a jughead hat and says the c-word

Yeah, goldblum stands way out. I forgot he was in it too until he showed up. I had read guest's name in the opening credits and for that whole goldblum scene I was thinking "is that bald guy christopher guest?....that doesn't really look like him".

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I don't go seeking out that kind of stuff, but all the scenes for building up Charles Bronson's motivation for Death Wish were really hard to watch. The whole film feels so sleazy to me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

I don't go seeking out that kind of stuff, but all the scenes for building up Charles Bronson's motivation for Death Wish were really hard to watch. The whole film feels so sleazy to me.

All of Bronson's gritty 70s and 80s films are like that. They are all wish fulfillment movies.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Eric Cantonese posted:

70-80s movies in that genre are usually like that.

I’ll pull up one I haven’t seen and usually turn it off. I don’t tolerate it anymore. Also I like watching movies with my spouse and I’m not in the business of subjecting her to everyday dangers to women/children.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSCid-iOoe0

The Mechanic is actually pretty fun. It also has one of his funniest lines at the very end.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sonatinas posted:

I’ll pull up one I haven’t seen and usually turn it off. I don’t tolerate it anymore. Also I like watching movies with my spouse and I’m not in the business of subjecting her to everyday dangers to women/children.

I wonder how much of my beef with Death Wish is because it has a straight-up sexual assault scene in it. For whatever reason, despite a lot of the horror stuff I can otherwise tolerate (maybe because it's often cartoonish) I really can't deal with seeing that kind of stuff on film.

Apparently, Death Wish II is even worse in that regard, so I'm definitely passing on that.

quote:

David Engelbach was then asked to write the screenplay. After he saw the final product, he was "somewhat appalled" how the film differed from his original script. His script didn't include any rape scenes, but those were included by Michael Winner to "get his rocks off".[citation needed] However, Engelbach argued that "serious issues - namely, the deteriorating state of our criminal justice system. The actions of the Bronson character are dictated by the inability of the police to prevent crime, the preoccupation of the courts with technical rather than real justice, and the cancerous climate of fear in which we find ourselves today. Paul Kersey is no hero. In his pursuit of vengeance he loses the only emotional relationship of his life and by story's end has become as much a victim of crime as the thugs he leaves dead in his wake".

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Feb 2, 2024

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

bought some music on bandcamp because it bandcamp friday, here’s a song i like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxshe7onfwA

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

sonatinas posted:

for me personally I feel like there's this phenomena where I saw the TV cut of a movie growing up and so I think I'm familiar with the movie but then the cut scenes start showing up and and it's a little uhh..:stare:

I first learned of this when we thought it would be fun for my kid to see the original Teen Wolf movie and there is some not so great stuff in that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the first time I saw Robocop it was a tv edit and even that was loving intense as hell. I think I was 7.

then in college I watched the unrated cut lol

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Do they show the heart getting pulled out of the sacrificial victim's chest when Temple of Doom is on the television?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

screenrant.com posted:

When edited to air on TV, Temple of Doom's disturbing human sacrifice scene is altered. Instead of showing off the realistic beating heart, Mola Ram's hand appears empty, making the ritual seem like nothing more than a charade met with cheers. Given that a theme of Temple of Doom is that Indiana doesn't believe in the mystical and fantastical until he witnesses it in person, the altered version of the scene should completely change his story.

lmfao

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Death Wish III is the best death wish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Deathwiiish