Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Can't lose WW3 if you don't start it. bing bong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

Can't lose WW3 if you don't start it. bing bong

looking at a loose coalition of anti-us allies: "is this hegemony?"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
since iran uses american chips in their drones, therefore iran is a us proxy

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Palladium posted:

also they fly american planes

does this count as a civil war

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

Do you condemn America?!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

also they lose a battle and the military leadership takes responsibility and resigns.

The fast churning through personnel at all levels (also exemplified by two of the main characters losing their love interests and seamlessly taken over the roles of their previous superiors) was supposed to represent a dystopian society where everyone is treated as disposable cogs in the societal machine. Basically showing that fascism is anti-human. The implied trajecture here is that Rico and whatever that girl is called are also likely to quickly die and be replaced. Or at best they can end up like the recruiter who proudly told them the mobile infantry is what made him the man he is today. And their psychic friend sporting the SS uniform might keep rising through the ranks, but one major fuckup and he too is out on his rear end.

The reality ofcourse is all of that, except the people at the top are totally exempted and become loving arch-liches clinging to power and forming dynasties well beyond any reason.

The service guarantees citizenship part was an absolutely load-bearing pillar of keeping that society going though. The fact that our real life dystopia doesn't deliver on that promise is one of those ~contradictions~ that is helping cause the collapse of the system. The US empire is groverhaus writ large.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do you condemn America?!

Yes, doh.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 12:39 on Feb 2, 2024

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

whenever I see poo poo like this I'm reminded that verhovens over the top fascist sci fi satire took for granted "service garuntees citizenship" would at least be honored

lmao
https://twitter.com/RANDCorporation/status/1725040251855335735

Pomeroy posted:

"Lol" said the scorpion to the frog

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kill the weakest in each pack so the strong may feed. Meat's back on the menu boys.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

Kill the weakest in each pack so the strong may feed. Meat's back on the menu boys.

yep that's the current germany policy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah a quarter of US military members being food insecure seems to bely the whole discussion about how many perks they get. Why take on a risky/stressful job that may leave you dead and/or maimed if you are potentially going hungry? It is just a terrible deal.

Just think of the headlines if a quarter of Russian active duty personnel were going hungry?

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Pomeroy posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Yeah a quarter of US military members being food insecure seems to bely the whole discussion about how many perks they get. Why take on a risky/stressful job that may leave you dead and/or maimed if you are potentially going hungry? It is just a terrible deal.

Just think of the headlines if a quarter of Russian active duty personnel were going hungry?

I think in general the US elite attitude toward these kinds of problems can be summed up like this:
1. It's cost effective to propagandize people to not think about the problem or simply not be aware of it until it's too late and they signed the papers.
2. Regardless of whether the propaganda is perfect or not, the material reality for people doing unapproved things getting worse and worse over time makes them more accepting of poo poo deals like military service where you dont get to eat every day, taking a vulture loan from uber to get a rattletrap car on their own credit, etc.
3. the problem only matters to me if the social function that i need to reify my own power in the rotting empire is threatened

tldr sure the military is probably going to collapse into a heap of rotten wood and termites on contact with a real war that isnt just pushing buttons and youre going to start seeing poo poo like fragging again but no one who matters cares and theyre not going to care because it simply doesnt matter to them

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I commented about that weeks ago and it's still a roflmao

a full quarter of the active duty armed forces is food insecure and loving lmao all it takes is a few of them realizing that they have guns while they feel hungry

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

im no clausewitz but arent you supposed to feed your troops?

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

dead gay comedy forums posted:

a full quarter of the active duty armed forces is food insecure and loving lmao all it takes is a few of them realizing that they have guns while they feel hungry

I wonder how much of the surveillance state is pointed at their own troops, with military police showing up when people express too much discontent to their friends on Facebook messenger.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Votskomit posted:

I wonder how much of the surveillance state is pointed at their own troops, with military police showing up when people express too much discontent to their friends on Facebook messenger.

The surveillance state isn't all it's cracked up to be

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Pomeroy posted:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Votskomit posted:

lol they don't give a poo poo with the mass shooters on their radar, why would they care about a crazy troop

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol they don't give a poo poo with the mass shooters on their radar, why would they care about a crazy troop

they care enough about troops becoming mass shooters that troops have much, much, much more tightly circumscribed access to firearms than civilians

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Votskomit posted:

there's probably a bunch of 3rd rate surveillance state, since troops are their own legal jurisdiction. so you'll get like a US Army MP Fusion Center staffed with the nerdiest of MPs who monitor facebook pages for people bragging about drunk driving

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mandel Brotset posted:

they get a dining facility run by a contractor at odd hours on the other side of a city-sized base, or "basic allowance for sustenance" to spend at the grocery over their base pay that is very intermittently adjusted for inflation and doesn't take into account food deserts. i don't see the problem

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Mandel Brotset posted:

"Our soldiers have the opportunity to have access to having food. Which is the same thing." - some neoliberal idiot

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Ardennes posted:

You can't even quit early without getting in trouble

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Palladium posted:

therefore iran is a us proxy

Again

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

an army marches on its stomach but if the troops all drive cars they don't need to eat. not a problem!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Twitter saying the US has B1s in the air on their way to... somewhere undetermined in the middle east.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Seems like overkill to send B-1s to anywhere other than Iran so lol if we’re gonna bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

Seems like overkill to send B-1s to anywhere other than Iran so lol if we’re gonna bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran.

we'd never send them somewhere with functional air defense

could be intended to level beirut, could just be rebasing for all we know

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Imo best western bullet hell flying game: raptor

Best Japanese: Raiden 2

Bear in mind Verhoeven had a vision of trying to show fascism that actually worked, unlike real life. It was a propaganda movie and in propaganda movies you have to show the system working like people imagine it to. Kinda like cop shows work irl.

raptor was my first vidya and started my decent into madness, A++ game

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TeenageArchipelago posted:

You can't even quit early without getting in trouble

There is something to say, at least you can drop your job at Panda Express and do something different. It isn’t surprising they are only taking in people from military families that don’t know anything different and just straight up people that are desperate.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's why all those liberals meming about how they're going to bomb Texas flat if Texas tries to secede is just them NAFOing themselves into another Ukraine Counterattack delusion.

It only really takes some effort by someone who doesn't trip on the bar in the ground that is neoliberal political economics to get the garrison to defect because they no longer have to deal with hunger or moldy bases.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

skooma512 posted:

In that vein, Somalia.

The Black Hawk Down incident specifically. It's only by luck it was only 18 dead IMO. They had convoys that got loving lost in a city that was hostile to them. They ran back and forth between the crash sites and eventually got pinned down. If someone got lucky (again) with an RPG on the lost convoy, they're toast. If the Somalis had some radios to coordinate better, they're toast. They had air support and that probably was the decisive factor above all else, but they still ran very close to just simply being overrun, and their relief still wasn''t showing up for like 12 hours after this all happens. They were lucky to get away with just 18 dead instead of a total party wipe

the whole reason that occurred was because they massacred their own allies. Aideed was on the verge of being fired and the Americans saved his rear end.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Monday_raid#:~:text=The%20Bloody%20Monday%20raid%20(Somali,in%20the%20Somali%20Civil%20War.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

january 7th: the great troop food riots

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

their conclusion was that the troops are welfare queens that don't know how to save money

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Wow they sound irresponsible maybe we shouldn't give them guns and send them to foreign countries to shoot dudes that Dick Cheney doesn't like

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

What does the B1 do these days? It was supposed to be high altitude, high speeed, then soviet air defenses evolved mid project, so it was kept going as a low altitude, high speed bomber. it got terrain mapping radar, etc., so like, really low. now is it just a b-52 substitute against anyplace with poo poo air defense? it can, technically, carry more weaponry than the b-52.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"we dont want a wider war. in fact we're not at war at all."

[bombs the poo poo out of two other countries]

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

What does the B1 do these days? It was supposed to be high altitude, high speeed, then soviet air defenses evolved mid project, so it was kept going as a low altitude, high speed bomber. it got terrain mapping radar, etc., so like, really low. now is it just a b-52 substitute against anyplace with poo poo air defense? it can, technically, carry more weaponry than the b-52.

I think it is A Deterrent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

What does the B1 do these days?

suck rear end/consume maintenance budget