Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t much like how the romances in this game work, not an original observation I guess but everyone comes in way too strong, and scenes that could absolutely be fun palling-around moments are instead always staged and acted and treated as romantic, and so for me they always end with a glum companion walking away dejectedly. But I just wanted to dance!

I’ve done a lot of them and I know it’s basic but imo the only good one is shadowheart’s romance. It’s very slow burn and you have to earn her going all in. Everyone else is much too fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Lae'zel is the best romance

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Pellisworth posted:

:hmmyes:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I successfully did this and it basically comes down to making sure she’s only temporarily hostile. I don’t think anything else matters.
I had karlach throw the scrying eye into the chasm in front of her and laid down (non lethal) whupass from there. I even talked to her first which some guide i read said never do.

I knocked her out with the non-lethal attack and I could have sworn she had the temporarily hostile condition. It's been probably a month and change since I did the goblin camp on this character so I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I'm pretty sure I talked to her too. I read that you have to either not talk to her at all for it to work, OR talk to her and promise that you're going to (act 1 spoiler)slaughter everyone at the druid grove so that she views you as a potential ally so maybe I zoned out and selected the wrong dialogue option somewhere which locked me out of being able to recruit her? Sounds like something I would do.

This sucks pretty bad tbh, haven't decided if I'm going to abandon this playthrough or soldier on. She was probably my favorite companion on the evil playthrough I did and I was looking forward to seeing how she would react if you were just super friendly to everyone all the time instead of going full genocide.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You don't need to talk to Minthara at all. Just steal the scroll on the desk in front of her and choose to go in to combat from the "You were caught stealing" dialogue tree.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If you don't knock her out fast enough, she and her crew can go all the way hostile and lose the temporarily hostile condition. I do not know what the trigger is but I have seen it happen. Also don't talk to her, just sucker punch the poo poo out of her.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

If you don't knock her out fast enough, she and her crew can go all the way hostile and lose the temporarily hostile condition. I do not know what the trigger is but I have seen it happen. Also don't talk to her, just sucker punch the poo poo out of her.

The trigger is the all seeing eye summoning more goblins, at which point you are attacking the camp officially as opposed to being a true soul that made a small mistake.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shadowheart's romance is so nice, so sweet, so BORING. Shovel is bored! Shovel wants to murderise!!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

More people have slept with the Emperor than have done the Act 3 date with Karlach and this is a crime.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ms. Vlaakith Ate My Soul

I pity the fool that doesn't like souls! drat them souls is good!!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Anyway the best way to avoid Durge killing Alfie is having her killed by druids before the event procs

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Well, I thought I had gone through all of the correct steps for recruiting Minthara on a good playthrough, but I just got to Moonrise Towers and Ketheric is telling off a bunch of goblins with no mean elf paladin in sight. What a loving bummer, I wonder what I messed up.

At least in my game, I could go back into the goblin camp to check before moving too far into act 2. She was still there, temporarily hostile and unreactive to anything, and then showed up when I went to Moonrise.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cavelcade posted:

More people have slept with the Emperor than have done the Act 3 date with Karlach and this is a crime.

Karlach was bugged for a long time, Empi wasn't

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Not sure if Karlach was ever bugged, her romance is just trickier to get than most. There was the issue of killing the Strange Ox in Act 1 preventing Dammon from appearing in Act 2, but that's only tangential.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Love2be doing 150+ damage per round with... a 1d8 cantrip! Frost Sorc rules so hard, I like it even more than Tempy Cleric.

https://i.imgur.com/2Ou1BEA.mp4

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

Love2be doing 150+ damage per round with... a 1d8 cantrip! Frost Sorc rules so hard, I like it even more than Tempy Cleric.

https://i.imgur.com/2Ou1BEA.mp4

What's the frost sorcerer gimmick?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

What's the frost sorcerer gimmick?

I'm going to write out a longer post once I finish this run but the basic idea is that you equip all the same unique cantrip-boosting items a Warlock might use for Eldritch Blast, except you use it to boost twinned Rays of Frost instead. 1 point in Cleric for Create Water, or just rely on Rain Dancer as your offhand staff until Level 11-12. For the basic setup you'll want to take Draconic Bloodline (White) for the extra proficiency boost to Cold spells and get Mourning Frost from the Underdark, Necklace of Elemental Augmention from the Creche, Potent Robes from saving the Tieflings in Act 2, Snowburst Ring from Last Light Inn, and eventually Markoheshkir, Quickspell Gloves and the Hat of Rizz from Sorcerous Sundries. A Charisma-based caster can eventually end up with 24-25 CHA so that's +7 proficiency bonus, multiplied by 4 from gear/subclass, times 2 from wet/chilled. HUGE CRITZ!! Oh and you also get to use Ice Knife + Frost Barrage + Cone of Cold, too.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t much like how the romances in this game work, not an original observation I guess but everyone comes in way too strong, and scenes that could absolutely be fun palling-around moments are instead always staged and acted and treated as romantic, and so for me they always end with a glum companion walking away dejectedly. But I just wanted to dance!

It's fundamentally part of the weird pacing problem they have because of the games structure and the bias induced by EA. The party is frankly way too early and thirsty when it really should have been a group flirting scene and the actual romance scenes should have been moved to the back half of act 1.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 2, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

It makes more sense when you think of everyone as Olympic athletes who have just had a near death experience.

Githyanki seem to have casual sex as a racial thing because they’re lizards? Or Lae’zel is just really fun? Maybe both.

Karlach also hasn’t hosed in 10 years so she’s pretty hyped about it.

Shadowheart takes things fairly slowly.

Gale is real horny but he knows he’s gonna die soon and is rebounding hard from his ex so understandable.

I’m not sure what Astarions act 1 deal is he did not like me.

Wyll/Halsin are hilariously horny for no reason.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://youtu.be/ClezDg8n6uw?si=qYuJeUBFT-jj6Y6h

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Lae'zel is a soldier on deployment. Everything makes sense.

"why so forward?"

"why so aggressive?"

"Why'd she leave me after talking about sharing the sunrise"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Black Noise posted:

"Why'd she leave me after talking about sharing the sunrise"

The succubussy too strong...

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Oh God Vlaakith wants the orb and I'm sleeping with Lazeil. Gonna lose my girlfriend!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dreissi posted:

Oh God Vlaakith wants the orb and I'm sleeping with Lazeil. Gonna lose my girlfriend!

Every couple gets into arguments from time to time. You'll be fine. Probably.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

space uncle posted:

It makes more sense when you think of everyone as Olympic athletes who have just had a near death experience.

Githyanki seem to have casual sex as a racial thing because they’re lizards? Or Lae’zel is just really fun? Maybe both.

Karlach also hasn’t hosed in 10 years so she’s pretty hyped about it.

Shadowheart takes things fairly slowly.

Gale is real horny but he knows he’s gonna die soon and is rebounding hard from his ex so understandable.

I’m not sure what Astarions act 1 deal is he did not like me.

Wyll/Halsin are hilariously horny for no reason.

Oh not actually disagreeing because I have the same read that you are basically a traveling Olympic village but only that it would have been better if there was a group flirting scene early on (there should have been more group scenes in general) like how Gale, SH, and Astarion sorta have flirting scenes early on. The intraparty dynamics are just noticeably off because of it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
No one sees this because they don't talk with Wyll, but if you reject him the very first time he flirts with you, he will posit that it must be the tadpoles that are driving them together. If that's true, then I like to think that the Emperor is putting suggestive thoughts into their heads to drive you all together.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Could someone explain the shift right click thing mentioned earlier in the thread? Is it a way to reliably steal from vendors?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saul Kain posted:

Could someone explain the shift right click thing mentioned earlier in the thread? Is it a way to reliably steal from vendors?

Yes, it's incredibly simple.

1. Go to Barter Mode.
2. Shift+select the vendor's inventory and drag it to your own.
3. Congratulations, you just got everything they have for free and can sell their own items back to them.

I expect this to be fixed imminently so enjoy it while you can!!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
There’s no way to do this if you’re on console sadly

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, it's incredibly simple.

1. Go to Barter Mode.
2. Shift+select the vendor's inventory and drag it to your own.
3. Congratulations, you just got everything they have for free and can sell their own items back to them.

I expect this to be fixed imminently so enjoy it while you can!!

I tried this and it just auto buys the goods and pays the vendor with my $ (on PC).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Did you select the vendor’s gold too? That’s what’s paying for all the other merch you steal, essentially.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

i have too much gold anyway

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The caveat to this is that you have to have at least as much gold to purchase the highest priced thing you are "stealing," and that it will actually remove some of your gold, although I haven't done any math to work out how much, it may just be that amount. It's more noticeable if you're doing more targeted theft and not just wiping them out.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

buffalo all day posted:

I tried this and it just auto buys the goods and pays the vendor with my $ (on PC).

I could not get it to work either, oh well. A pickpocketing we will go. Hi ho Hi ho

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I used it to take all of Ferg's stuff because it isn't like he paid fair market value for it either.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

The caveat to this is that you have to have at least as much gold to purchase the highest priced thing you are "stealing," and that it will actually remove some of your gold, although I haven't done any math to work out how much, it may just be that amount. It's more noticeable if you're doing more targeted theft and not just wiping them out.

It costs you the price of the item you actually drag your mouse on, so make sure it's a dye instead of the Armour of Persistence

E: also if you don't have enough to buy the most expensive item in the selection, the way it breaks is that it actually buys the stuff you can afford one by one which will wipe out your gold as well.

Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off
This seems a lot more complicated than just having expertise in sleight of hand and wearing the Cats Grace robes.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I turned myself into a pickle squid for her and she was like uh that's cool but you're gross now, I'm going to free my people with my new bf Orion, so I killed myself on the docks immediately after.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

No one sees this because they don't talk with Wyll, but if you reject him the very first time he flirts with you, he will posit that it must be the tadpoles that are driving them together. If that's true, then I like to think that the Emperor is putting suggestive thoughts into their heads to drive you all together.

I like the tadpoles as a "sea turtles, mate" type excuse for things. Its honestly an excellent reason for everyone suddenly being together and overly friendly as well as an excuse to let you switch between good guy and bad guy sides on the fly without anyone much thinking that's totally unrealistic. But if the emperor is forcing people into strange scenarios with each other for his own ends doesn't that make it the DnD version of Squid Game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
you get REALLY horny when youre in the early stages of violently mutating into a soulless psychic slime alien

see: Star Trek Voyager, Possession (1981), the works of David Cronenberg