Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well, there's Brett Hart, Dustin Rhodes, Mick Foley, and...

Well, pretty much just Brett Hart, Dustin Rhodes, and Mick Foley.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

rally posted:

Yeah also once you start thinking of everyone involved as a carny it starts to make sense to an extent.

I was gonna say, wrestling in a ring of fire is about the same level of safety (or lack thereof) that you see in a lot of circus acts.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wwe has done them with kane and undertaker and they always sucked

taker said they couldn't breath during those stupid matches because the fire was sucking up basically all of the oxygen (and kane was sucking up the rest! :razz: )

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

David D. Davidson posted:

brett hart crazy

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Supreme Allah posted:

taker said they couldn't breath during those stupid matches because the fire was sucking up basically all of the oxygen

I forget what it's called but yeah, this is a thing that happens. If you light a bunch of candles in a circle, it's what causes all the flames to flare up and lean toward the center.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

I. M. Gei posted:

If you light a bunch of candles in a circle, it's what causes all the flames to flare up and lean toward the center.
that's the demon that's being summoned, actually

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

Dustin needs a asterisk the size of a skyscraper, Brett doesn't go on this list(too many lovely comments about too many women), and Mick Foley is probably good.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Supreme Allah posted:

taker said they couldn't breath during those stupid matches because the fire was sucking up basically all of the oxygen (and kane was sucking up the rest! :razz: )

this is also why every wrestling match involving a flaming ring takes place outside of the ring lol

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this is also why every wrestling match involving a flaming ring takes place outside of the ring lol

unless your name is Cody Rhodes

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
brett hart has also been lovely to owen's widow

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
martha i know you're sueing the wwe over the death of your husband but i need you to find a way to get wwe to get me my wrestling footage

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the hart family is carnie as gently caress lmao

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

The same Hart family that wrestled bears? Pshawwww

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

DPM posted:

The same Hart family that wrestled bears? Pshawwww

that bear lived under their house and bret would let him lick peanut butter off his feet when he was a kid

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

https://www.cagesideseats.com/indie...d-under-strange

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I was gonna say, wrestling in a ring of fire is about the same level of safety (or lack thereof) that you see in a lot of circus acts.

wrestlers have literally set themselves or others on fire besides cutting their foreheads or some the rest with deathmatch wrestling with knives and broken glass slicing their bodies up.

like this picture is cool because Onita is blocking Mr Pogo's fire ball with a broken table or something but other times he's literally lit a flame

edit: if you want to see a NMS picture of how insane Japanese deathmatch wrestling tolls take on a body, look up Jun Kasai's back and be disgusted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Deep down, wrestlers all want to be Street Fighter characters, apparently.

I'm pretty sure Vince McMahon maps to M Bison.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Speaking of ghastly wrestling spots, is Hangman the first to do the blood drinking thing?

I don't mean licking blood I mean squeezing a man's blood right into his mouth.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Cat poo poo spatula

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Speaking of ghastly wrestling spots, is Hangman the first to do the blood drinking thing?

I don't mean licking blood I mean squeezing a man's blood right into his mouth.

main stream yea, but im sure some hosed up meth head in the us deathmatch scene or even some sicko in japan did it

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Gavok posted:

Now it culminates in the Royaliest Rumble, where all 30 winners face off in the latest WWE 2K game.

Life has some truly strange ironies. The winner of the Royaliest Rumble?

Not Andre, who had three chances. Not Undertaker, or Hulk Hogan, or Edge, who won Royal Rumbles in real life. Not Kenny Omega, who has never been in a Royal Rumble, or Shane McMahon, who wanted to make the 2023 Rumble all about him. And not would never ever win a Rumble under any circumstances in real life entrants like Eugene, Tajiri, or Goldust.

It was, in the end...CM Punk.

The ironing is delicious.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Dustin needs a asterisk the size of a skyscraper, Brett doesn't go on this list(too many lovely comments about too many women), and Mick Foley is probably good.
Mick Foley seems like a fine human being, but he still absolutely belongs in the crazy person column for being willing to do all the stuff he did.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think we can go further. Imagine a child really being into superheroes and dreaming about becoming one when they grow up. Then they learn that all superheroics are fake, not just fictional but diegetically pretend-fighting and so on. They still want to be a superhero. They then learn that being a superhero often involves being in tremendous pain, having a lovely private life, suffering from drug addiction etc. and they still train all day to become one.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Foxfire_ posted:

Mick Foley seems like a fine human being, but he still absolutely belongs in the crazy person column for being willing to do all the stuff he did.

The question with any wrestler is, how big a mark are they for themself? If it's a whole lot, chances are they're an egomaniac.

Punk is the biggest CM Punk mark on the planet.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

By that standard Mick Foley is the biggest Santa mark on the planet

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Mick Foley is the most goon like of wrestlers. Used to shower, dry himself off with his ring gear, put it back on, and drive 600 miles to the next show with a giant bag of popcorn from concessions for his dinner.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kenny Omega literally was a Street Fighter character:

https://youtu.be/CBrgPNAI4tE?si=tnlHE_P1fjC2_iBS

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Mick Foley is the most goon like of wrestlers. Used to shower, dry himself off with his ring gear, put it back on, and drive 600 miles to the next show with a giant bag of popcorn from concessions for his dinner.

I was thinking "that was his goon bachelor thread period, now like modern goons he reads to his kids" but I remembered Dewey had been working for WWE creative, for years

poo poo, I wonder if there are any second-generation goons

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Phy posted:

Our kids can’t read.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I saw Hefty Leftist did update the front page. I don't have PM's, so if someone who does could ask him, if it's possible, to update the selection of effortposts in the same post, I'd appreciate it.

And a lot of wrestling and those who stuck it out makes a lot more sense when you remember that half of wrestling's innate nature grew out of a deliberate effort to con people out of money by offering something they could not actually provide, and perhaps also the mindset that these people 'deserved' to be conned because they were 'normal' and that fact was a form of aggravation to the ones doing the con. A world of people who are still doing that to some degree, and what it does to the mind, and what people might do to relieve the pressure, well...speaks for itself.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 2, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phy posted:

A user named Trouser Chili posted a GBS thread outing his son as a goon about a year or two ago, but I don't know if the guy ever posted again after that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

I think we can go further. Imagine a child really being into superheroes and dreaming about becoming one when they grow up. Then they learn that all superheroics are fake, not just fictional but diegetically pretend-fighting and so on. They still want to be a superhero. They then learn that being a superhero often involves being in tremendous pain, having a lovely private life, suffering from drug addiction etc. and they still train all day to become one.

Isn't this pretty much The Boys?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't this pretty much The Boys?

homelander is cody rhodes gimmick

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Phy posted:

I was thinking "that was his goon bachelor thread period, now like modern goons he reads to his kids" but I remembered Dewey had been working for WWE creative, for years

if they have any brains they kept their spawn away from this place

i know i did

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

So Laurinaitis' lawyer has finally spoken to the media, and he's pitching Laurinaitis as another victim of Vince who was coerced into it all the same way Grant was.

"Read the allegations. Read the Federal Statute. Power, control, employment supervisory capacity, dictatorial sexual demands with repercussions if not met. Count how many times in the complaint Vince exerts control over both of them.”

:rolleyes:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epv757/co-defendant-in-vince-mcmahon-sex-trafficking-lawsuit-says-he-was-a-victim-too

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol he's guilty

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Stunt-Puffin posted:

So Laurinaitis' lawyer has finally spoken to the media, and he's pitching Laurinaitis as another victim of Vince who was coerced into it all the same way Grant was.

"Read the allegations. Read the Federal Statute. Power, control, employment supervisory capacity, dictatorial sexual demands with repercussions if not met. Count how many times in the complaint Vince exerts control over both of them.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epv757/co-defendant-in-vince-mcmahon-sex-trafficking-lawsuit-says-he-was-a-victim-too

I don't believe a word of it, but it's nice to see he's likely to turn on Vince at least.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Stunt-Puffin posted:

That reminds me of the theory that even if a politician or businessman isn't a pedophile or has some extreme deviance or crime, that 'the ones who generally run the world' will take them to Orange Grove and have them 'stumble' onto something horrible, like, children being abused, and basically go "You tell, we'll say you were one of us and your career and life will be ruined and you will never have power."

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a tiny sliver of truth in Laurinaitis' claims. As said, one of the secondary goals of any cult leader is to turn everyone close to them into clones of themselves. Maybe Johnny was a sex pest bastard, but McMahon helped push him along to being an UTTER ABSOLUTE bastard. Which...does him absolutely no favors, because it takes two to tango.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Cornwind Evil posted:

That reminds me of the theory that even if a politician or businessman isn't a pedophile or has some extreme deviance or crime, that 'the ones who generally run the world' will take them to Orange Grove and have them 'stumble' onto something horrible, like, children being abused, and basically go "You tell, we'll say you were one of us and your career and life will be ruined and you will never have power."

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a tiny sliver of truth in Laurinaitis' claims. As said, one of the secondary goals of any cult leader is to turn everyone close to them into clones of themselves. Maybe Johnny was a sex pest bastard, but McMahon helped push him along to being an UTTER ABSOLUTE bastard. Which...does him absolutely no favors, because it takes two to tango.

You are giving him too much credit, hes a horrible fucker and would never have managed to stay working in another company even before these allegations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
vince pulling a wee bey and eating everyone's sins for another pit beef and some slaw