Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Philippe posted:

Yeah, it just makes me feel a bigger kinship with my character. I'm not a tacticool operator or a cowboy, but it's the little things

Same. Feels like you're controlling them, not just a camera floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space 2 has some really good head tracking. If you stand still, Isaac looks at enemies, items, stores and interactables, and wherever you point your mouse. Gold standard stuff. I would have missed a bunch of power nodes in the dark if he didn't look at them.

Edit: the remake is even better about it, now they have Isaac pull his head back to avoid getting conked in the helmet opening lockers if you're too close.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I don't know how much of a little thing this is, but the Arcade Quest mode in Tekken 8 is adorable. Just a bunch of kids playing Tekken against each other in the style of a Yu-Gi-Oh episode, complete with an antagonist who takes everything way too seriously.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the NPCs in final fantasy 14 will turn to look at you as you get close to them, which is neat and easy to miss in an MMO where you're zoomed really far out most of the time

what's even easier to miss is that if you really want to play it that way, you can have a hotkey that lets you play the MMO in first person instead of the regular (and much easier for gameplay) third person & doing so you'll find out that the NPCs actually make eye contact with your character no matter how tall or short you are

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
One of the Stormblood patch cutscenes takes that to the absolute limit if you're a lalafell and it's hilarious as gently caress.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Speaking of FF14, in the penultimate Endwalker patch they teased a new character who is the first female version of her race in game. To avoid showing the character model before the official artwork was released, the cutscene only shows her from the knees down. Apparently the character model is only her knees down, nothing else, to foil dataminers. I wish that cutscene could be zoomed out because the idea of a dude talking to a disembodied pair of legs makes me laugh.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
They absolutely knew people would datamine yeah :allears:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’m playing through AC: Valhalla and when Eivor finally gets her assassin dagger thing, they tell her to wear it on the underside of her wrist.

She flat out is like “no that’s loving dumb I’ll wear it on the top so I don’t lose a finger like you idiots”

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m playing through AC: Valhalla and when Eivor finally gets her assassin dagger thing, they tell her to wear it on the underside of her wrist.

She flat out is like “no that’s loving dumb I’ll wear it on the top so I don’t lose a finger like you idiots”

Its also pretty and cool, and she says "I don't want to hide this"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space 2 has some really good head tracking. If you stand still, Isaac looks at enemies, items, stores and interactables, and wherever you point your mouse. Gold standard stuff. I would have missed a bunch of power nodes in the dark if he didn't look at them.

Edit: the remake is even better about it, now they have Isaac pull his head back to avoid getting conked in the helmet opening lockers if you're too close.

I know this isn't what you meant but i suddenly imagined Isaac tracking two things with his eyes independently like a crazed armored chameleon

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ZeusCannon posted:

I know this isn't what you meant but i suddenly imagined Isaac tracking two things with his eyes independently like a crazed armored chameleon

I mean he walks with the posture of a lizard at least

This man is shaped like an open curly bracket

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s the same way Sliderman walks in that weird hunched way in the PS games

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

I mean he walks with the posture of a lizard at least

This man is shaped like an open curly bracket

Yes, he is an engineer

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Been playing through Cyberpunk now that I have a computer which can actually handle it. There's a series of races you have to win for one of the side mission story lines, your ability to remotely detonate cars is understandably shut off for these and won't do anything if you try. However, the ability to remotely engage a car's emergency brake is still functional.

Me towards the end of the race, those markers are all the other cars still stuck in place kilometers back since the emergency brake engages permanently. Game doesn't seem to acknowledge it at all, the dialogue between me and the NPC still plays out like these are close races where I'm edging out a win at the last moment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

Canonically Bayek lost his finger because he was a idiot. Then the rest of the assassins decided they would cut off a finger to honor his idiocy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Alhazred posted:

Canonically Bayek lost his finger because he was a idiot. Then the rest of the assassins decided they would cut off a finger to honor his idiocy.

I laughed out loud when that happened. THAT'S the Origin! Hahahahaha

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Been playing through Cyberpunk now that I have a computer which can actually handle it. There's a series of races you have to win for one of the side mission story lines, your ability to remotely detonate cars is understandably shut off for these and won't do anything if you try. However, the ability to remotely engage a car's emergency brake is still functional.

Me towards the end of the race, those markers are all the other cars still stuck in place kilometers back since the emergency brake engages permanently. Game doesn't seem to acknowledge it at all, the dialogue between me and the NPC still plays out like these are close races where I'm edging out a win at the last moment.

Get yourself a car with homing missiles.

Race turns into a solo timetrial very quickly, especially if they're bunched up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Croccers posted:

The older Uplay point system where you could buy discounts was fantastic.
Now it's just for like things like to unlock Pre-order things, unlock customization things for the game or Resource boosters.
But the worst part is for some goddamn reason the points expire now even though you can't get another actually valuable with them anymore.

orcane posted:

At the same time they changed them to only buying ingame rewards of limited use they also started to expire them even more aggressively, so I lost all my points and never bothered earning/spending any more of them. Good job, Ubidiots.

Eh? This is backwards. Uplay points started as being just for unlocking little in-game bonuses and was what I was referring to originally as being neat. Then they added on the ability to exchange them for store discounts and within a year of that is when they started to make them expire. Then after that they outright stripped them from 90% of their games entirely - even then relatively newer ones like Assassin's Creed Odyssey - and just unlocked all the bonuses by default.

After that I stopped keeping track of them because I stopped buying Ubisoft games. So if they've now come full circle and gone back to being just for unlocking little bonuses, that's pretty funny.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I liked the idea of unlocking points in games to get little bonus cosmetics and stuff :shobon:

This chatting about AC is reminding me that I still need to boot up Odyssey again at some point and go through the DLC. I did a tiny bit of the Atlantis one but never found the keys to unlock the city, and I discovered one of the fights from the mythical monsters one but never actually did it

I really enjoyed the game but man, it's just too much content. By the time I got to the end of the plot I was ready for the game to be over

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I was going to skip this entire questline in my current playthrough (driving still sucks in CP2077), but now that it will cost less than 10 hacker points to take out everyone at the start, maybe I'll continue.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Most of the driving sucks but I absolutely love driving the little car you get for starting with a nomad background. Little hothatch, it's rad.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i thought the driving is pretty decent post 2.0 update, even if the motorcycles are still way better than the cars. but i'm not super picky about driving in games anyhow.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
In the Cyberpunk thread someone posted an edit to the ini file that made the driving better on keyboard. It basically gave you a sprint/walk function while driving, so you're not at full tilt all the time.

It was hundreds of pages ago, so I can't find it.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

oh, i don't gently caress with computer gaming because i don't have time for that bullshit. driving is pretty fun on the ps5, maybe it's a porting thing?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Driving never works well on keyboard, because the controls are digital (either on or off), which isn't great for wroom wroom.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i thought the driving is pretty decent post 2.0 update, even if the motorcycles are still way better than the cars. but i'm not super picky about driving in games anyhow.

The thing that keeps annoying me in cyberpunk is that NPCs can have motorcycles with cool neon wheels. But any vehicle I buy has to remain boring.

Absolute bullshit. The assets are in the GAME

Edit: thought this was the dragging thread for a moment. For balance a little thing i like is the sheer amount of air traffic that occurs in cyberpunk. You rarely interact with it but it's still nice that it's included as set dressing and provides a more realized world.

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Feb 2, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Oh yeah. It also gives great worldbuilding, because there's contrast between the haves and the have nots. The rich people can fly through the sky, but the rest of us are stuck on the ground.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Philippe posted:

Driving never works well on keyboard, because the controls are digital (either on or off), which isn't great for wroom wroom.

I used to play racing games on keyboard and I have no idea how the gently caress I did it. I remember Grid and Burnout Paradise being the two I spent a lot of KB time with and looking back on it, that sounds insane. It was before controllers were really good on PC though so I hadn’t shelled out for one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZeusCannon posted:

The thing that keeps annoying me in cyberpunk is that NPCs can have motorcycles with cool neon wheels. But any vehicle I buy has to remain boring.

Go investigate some garage doors up in 6th Street territory by the dam...

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Feb 2, 2024

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ZeusCannon posted:

Bought the most expensive bike in the online auto shop because the preview pic made it look like it had a bunch of cool neon lighting and felt a bit ripped off when it arrived. Can't be too mad since I'm just looking for places to dump my millions of eddies at this point, I'll keep riding the Akira bike everywhere instead.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the akira bike is pretty much the only thing you ever need, it rules.

i just wish you had a "tetsuoooooooo!" button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0lOTFRFAqQ

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

NoiseAnnoys posted:

oh, i don't gently caress with computer gaming because i don't have time for that bullshit. driving is pretty fun on the ps5, maybe it's a porting thing?

i loved the driving when, like, it was literally so janky that the only way to turn without wiping out a sidewalk full of people was to drift

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

NoiseAnnoys posted:

gently caress me running it's been 30 years and it still looks phenomenal. No wonder everybody lost their poo poo when it came out.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philippe posted:

Lately I've been feeling the opposite honestly, driving on a controller means having a finger constantly push the triggers in which get's painful after a while. Just lightly holding a keyboard key is much better. Though honestly more games should just have a cruise control or autothrottle button.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Haha I've never seen this with the dub and I can't not hear Cam Clarke doing Cam Clarke stuff

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

credburn posted:

Haha I've never seen this with the dub and I can't not hear Cam Clarke doing Cam Clarke stuff

There's actually two english dubs! This is the original dub from the early 90's, there's a better Funimation one from 2001-ish (Somewhere around then).

The dvd/blu-ray releases, at least in Ausralia have both as optional audio tracks.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

Lately I've been feeling the opposite honestly, driving on a controller means having a finger constantly push the triggers in which get's painful after a while. Just lightly holding a keyboard key is much better. Though honestly more games should just have a cruise control or autothrottle button.

Cyberpunk not having an autodrive option is wild

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get yourself a car with homing missiles.

Race turns into a solo timetrial very quickly, especially if they're bunched up.

That works for the races now? Think last time I tried it it seemed like Claire took over control of my vehicle weapons and sucked with them. Couldn’t get any hacking to work either.

ZeusCannon posted:

You have to turn them on when you hop on the bike, it’s whatever the key is for turning on lights if memory serves. Same thing turns on the siren if you swipe a police vehicle FYI.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah you tap E instead of holding it. It's weird, neon rims used to be a thing but they removed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Philippe posted:

Yeah you tap E instead of holding it. It's weird, neon rims used to be a thing but they removed it.

There is an ownable bike with neon rims still. Go poke around the garages by the Dam in 6th Street's neighbourhood, you'll find a hidden sidequest.

MadDogMike posted:

That works for the races now? Think last time I tried it it seemed like Claire took over control of my vehicle weapons and sucked with them. Couldn’t get any hacking to work either.

Very much so, hacking works too.