Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Jank is good. I refuse to play a game with all the edges sanded off, a pure and frictionless dopamine loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

MMOs are the devil

kill six billion kobolds

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean it's fine if that's your nostalgia, nobody can take it away from you. Hell, one of my favorite games is X:Com Apocalypse. Just be honest when you're recommending games to people, that you're asking for them to sign up for this in 2024:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt9qyMJM_ck

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Kalli posted:

I mean it's fine if that's your nostalgia,

You keep saying this but I didn't play Morrowind until a few years ago lol. I was 30. I'll acknowledge my taste is weird but you can't blame it on nostalgia.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kalli posted:

I mean it's fine if that's your nostalgia, nobody can take it away from you. Hell, one of my favorite games is X:Com Apocalypse. Just be honest when you're recommending games to people, that you're asking for them to sign up for this in 2024:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt9qyMJM_ck

Ahhh, the familiar sounds of Elder Scrolls spellcasting. That lovely cacophony of stock sound effects. *WHOOSH* *WHOOSH* *CRACKLE* *WHOOSH* *ZAP*

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Elder Scrolls series lost its way when it removed the Passwall spell (just straight up ignoring most dungeons in Arena by digging a hole to the end was very funny).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You are immediately annihilated by a half court pass so blazingly fast the searing winds leave you but an ashen shadow in the stands.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Also here is an annotated version of the sermons (still incomplete after over a decade of work!) http://www.newwhirlingschool.com/index.php

I was trying to find some writing about specifically the character "I" in CHIM, or the Tower as Vivec sometimes calls it, because he's obtuse mainly. Someone had written a very interesting take on it that probably circles nicely back around to K6BD because at some stage Vivec reveals if you rotate I or the Tower you find it's actually a wheel of many spokes, which I think is the opposite case with us.
Anyway they were arguing that the Tower is actually the CD Morrowind came on, viewed by the side and it was pretty great. It seems to have fallen off the face of the Internet.

that's pretty explicitly referenced in k6bd iirc, when Aesma figures it out for the first time

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Picturing Shaq with Salami Dave's beard braid and gently caress, it works

SHAQ, Bearer of the Word HOOPS and Baller of the Seven-Part World

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Who are the Hoopsters of the Seven Part Court, and why is Kevin Garnett Incubus?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
This is Basketball timeline, there is no Incubus in basketball timeline.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ok and now i'm rewatching BDG's Zelda timeline.

"...Couldn't beat Ocarina of time and so we decided to just go out side and play basketball. This is that timeline. Basketball timeline"

Its all linked!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

World War Mammories posted:

kill six billion kobolds

Collect six billion bear asses.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

habeasdorkus posted:

Who are the Hoopsters of the Seven Part Court, and why is Kevin Garnett Incubus?

Larry Bird, Bearer of the word Trash Talk.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

nimby posted:

Collect six billion bear asses.

Bearer of the words VENDOR TRASH and keeper of the grey materials.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thyrork posted:

Bearer of the words VENDOR TRASH and keeper of the grey materials.

Mark me well. Daughter of the NPC merchant. Remain an NPC merchant!

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So wait does the whole chim thing mean Jadis learned she was a webcomic character and she zero summed into no longer being any more alive than a written character? Is that one way to interpret her?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

thechosenone posted:

So wait does the whole chim thing mean Jadis learned she was a webcomic character and she zero summed into no longer being any more alive than a written character? Is that one way to interpret her?

Zero-sum is when you realize existence is a work of fiction*, and that you are a work of fiction**, and fail to be able to say the word "I" as a result, and you cease to exist absolutely. Jadis kinda dodged the actual zero-summed out of existence consequence but yeah she's deffo someone who is loving up CHIM***. K6BD uses different metaphysics too though but it does wear its influences on its sleeve, and its realities are still explicitly stories God (called YS-UN) is telling itself (and that the other gods it divided into are telling themselves).****

*fiction should be understood to be on a relative scale, the reduction of TES cosmology to "they're in a video game and some people know it" is kind of a poor simplification. While metaphorically that is a great example of it, it's not necessarily the ONLY or the most valid interpretation that existence for them is literally JUST a video game. Reality is a dream of the godhead, an existence so absolutely supremely High Layer that its dreams are real to the people within it. I think a lot of people use the "it's just a game" cosmology to degrade the value of the things happening within it or put the metaphysics at a higher priority, but like, to the people within the cycle of reality it's real to them.

**Have you ever written a story and the character ends up doing something different from what you've planned for them?

***Realizing you're an act of fiction and being able to retain your identity is great and basically makes you lucid dreaming, but in TES cosmology it doesn't actually free you from it and it can be lost, and there's still another step (Amaranth*****) beyond it.

****There are actual real life mythological structures that cleave to this idea in general, too. Weirdly, anthropologists are especially prone to a type of perennialist philosophy where reality is an illusion and all of us are part of a single godmind and the destruction of the ego is part of that path, and you can see it reproduced in places like Glorantha (made by people very much into studying real-life religion and mysticism) and Golden Treasure: Great Green (a really cool dragon game made by a guy who has claimed dragons actually existed and who is in contact with a higher layer entity from the game (also a common brainworm when you start doing this kind of thinking)).

*****Basically you become a new godhead and iterate a reality in an infinite layered act of creative love, which is basically what we see with YS-UN and their component god-divisions.

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

***Realizing you're an act of fiction and being able to retain your identity is great and basically makes you lucid dreaming, but in TES cosmology it doesn't actually free you from it and it can be lost, and there's still another step (Amaranth*****) beyond it.

****There are actual real life mythological structures that cleave to this idea in general, too. Weirdly, anthropologists are especially prone to a type of perennialist philosophy where reality is an illusion and all of us are part of a single godmind and the destruction of the ego is part of that path, and you can see it reproduced in places like Glorantha (made by people very much into studying real-life religion and mysticism) and Golden Treasure: Great Green (a really cool dragon game made by a guy who has claimed dragons actually existed and who is in contact with a higher layer entity from the game (also a common brainworm when you start doing this kind of thinking)).

*****Basically you become a new godhead and iterate a reality in an infinite layered act of creative love, which is basically what we see with YS-UN and their component god-divisions.

Oh no, philosophy.

Oh no, asterisks.

Oh no, footnotes.

God was a mistake.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

FlocksOfMice posted:

Weirdly, anthropologists are especially prone to a type of perennialist philosophy where reality is an illusion and all of us are part of a single godmind and the destruction of the ego is part of that path

Monism, especially Hindu flavors thereof, was a huge influence on the development of perrennialism in the first place - Advaita Vedanta already held a monist and emanationist cosmology organized around, depending on your particular school of thought, illusion, play, divine power, or a net or matrix which ensnares. So Kirkbride comes by it very honestly, in that he got really into that theology and also really drunk.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FlocksOfMice posted:

Zero-sum is when you realize existence is a work of fiction*, and that you are a work of fiction**, and fail to be able to say the word "I" as a result, and you cease to exist absolutely. Jadis kinda dodged the actual zero-summed out of existence consequence but yeah she's deffo someone who is loving up CHIM***. K6BD uses different metaphysics too though but it does wear its influences on its sleeve, and its realities are still explicitly stories God (called YS-UN) is telling itself (and that the other gods it divided into are telling themselves).****

*fiction should be understood to be on a relative scale, the reduction of TES cosmology to "they're in a video game and some people know it" is kind of a poor simplification. While metaphorically that is a great example of it, it's not necessarily the ONLY or the most valid interpretation that existence for them is literally JUST a video game. Reality is a dream of the godhead, an existence so absolutely supremely High Layer that its dreams are real to the people within it. I think a lot of people use the "it's just a game" cosmology to degrade the value of the things happening within it or put the metaphysics at a higher priority, but like, to the people within the cycle of reality it's real to them.

**Have you ever written a story and the character ends up doing something different from what you've planned for them?

tldr lsd is apparently crucial for good worldbuilding

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Potato Salad posted:

tldr lsd is apparently crucial for good worldbuilding

According to Kirkbride, it was just tremendous amounts of caffeine and alcohol.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The extinguished butts of cigarettes piled like stone cairns, monuments to extinct possible worlds (and somewhat confusing npc directions)

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Curtana posted:

Oh no, philosophy.

Oh no, asterisks.

Oh no, footnotes.

God was a mistake.

4 potential thread titles in one post.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It can be pretty difficult to talk about Elder Scrolls lore because quite often parts of it contradict each other or have differences but all of the differences are true at once. (That also happens to history in the elder scrolls occasionally, with the dragon breaks, but it's also the case in the philosophy and cosmology of the world.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Now who wants to explain C0DA bags not it

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Ohhh no, this thread can barely handle discussing what Royalty is, if we try to work out what's going on in c0da we're going down in flames

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I mean other than individual moments of symbolism and meaning overall c0da and amaranth are pretty simple concepts,

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

There's a problem that I would love to see a take re: zero-sum and similar ideas, which is to deal with the thing of iterations of reality and thus the rather glaring omission of dealing with "if all realities are dreams of realities then all dreams are realities", which also tackles the problem of layers and poo poo

In a fictional-metaphysical-narrative sense, this is an angle that makes it really funny to me, I guess: this situation is treated as an exclusive individual circumstance of the character, instead of a fundamental property of reality that applies to all, so to speak. "OH NO I AM NOT REAL" wait what, you are real as everything else around you, why the gently caress would you immediately disappear? This is a question I would have really liked to see approached in the lore of these different settings/games -- why that end is such a given?

(just for fun: if we wanted to go really meta about it, maybe it is so because our current time is so plagued by cultural narcissism and this constant self-reference deceive us to think that our reality is the most important one, so the idea of being a dream of something else -- even though this might be a form of God -- must be the ultimate ego humiliation and is utterly unbearable and rather prefers to not exist at all)

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

dead gay comedy forums posted:

There's a problem that I would love to see a take re: zero-sum and similar ideas, which is to deal with the thing of iterations of reality and thus the rather glaring omission of dealing with "if all realities are dreams of realities then all dreams are realities", which also tackles the problem of layers and poo poo

In a fictional-metaphysical-narrative sense, this is an angle that makes it really funny to me, I guess: this situation is treated as an exclusive individual circumstance of the character, instead of a fundamental property of reality that applies to all, so to speak. "OH NO I AM NOT REAL" wait what, you are real as everything else around you, why the gently caress would you immediately disappear? This is a question I would have really liked to see approached in the lore of these different settings/games -- why that end is such a given?

(just for fun: if we wanted to go really meta about it, maybe it is so because our current time is so plagued by cultural narcissism and this constant self-reference deceive us to think that our reality is the most important one, so the idea of being a dream of something else -- even though this might be a form of God -- must be the ultimate ego humiliation and is utterly unbearable and rather prefers to not exist at all)

I'd say zero-summing is more a case of "waking up" from the dream, while CHIM is realizing that it is a dream and then continuing to stay in said dream.

The difference between realizing "Oh, I'm dreaming" and immediately waking up, and "Oh, I'm dreaming" and proceeding to lucid dreaming.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 2, 2024

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Part of it i think is you start to think with an off-layer mind. The character in the story realizes the existence of the author, and has a panic attack because it knows of a layer where it isn't real. You can apply this upwards onto our layer where you realize its relative unreality and your own resulting non-existence! It is a special kind of psychotic break I do not recommend irl! I don't really know how to explain this kind of panic other than unrecommending you experience it in real life in your current layer! You will never feel sane again.

There's a metaphor on tumblr I like a lot about an ant crawling across a circuit board, and it isn't the "crazy geometries" that make it go insane, it's the ant having a moment where it realizes the shapes are thinking, that there's these entire other things that have meaning so far beyond your local context, the world exists on such a greater scale and for a moment you can SEE the scale, and then you go back to being an ant and it's like, well, gently caress, now what? You know the secrets of the circuity mind (it's a flaming wonder). It's something I do a lot with my creative work but it uh, it comes off as kind of schizophrenic and incomprehensible (there is a reason for this (it's probably the schizophrenia)).

e: vvv Also it's that. Being told "this layer is just a work of fiction" doesn't really matter unless you actually meaningfully comprehend it. Like even in K6BD Aesma sees the wheel for the first time and doesn't really grok what she's looking at and just comes back it "it's vaguely wheel-shaped."

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 2, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone in the elder scrolls universe who's told that they're just a dream won't just zero-sum. You do it by viewing and comprehending the tower, which is the universe, and how irrelevant you are in it, and as part of that you comprehend your non-existence. It's basically getting hit with the total perspective vortex but instead of showing how tiny you are it shows you how tiny you are and also that even your tininess is nothing and everything you care about is nothing and everything you know exists is nothing. That obliterates your sense of self to the degree that it no longer exists, and because of that and the nature of the world as a fiction, you no longer exist. If you can look at that and go 'gently caress you I exist' you achieve CHIM and are no longer bound by the laws and limits of the world.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The smaller the edge, the sharper the blade. If you are nothing, you can Cut everything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the neat bits I liked in c0da was when they're looking upon the destroyed remains of Nirn (the planet from Elder Scrolls, it got destroyed by the time of the story and the characters are refugees living on one of its moons) and it's a big planet with enormous gaps underneath which you can see continent-size clockwork, because it's not reality a planet per se and beneath its metaphorical surface are the cosmological mechanisms of its existence and the closest thing a mortal mind can comprehend that as is machinery so that's what it is to them.

(Not just that that's what mortals see it as. That's what it is to a mortal, what would be physically there to touch, huge wheels and gears powering it's existence, because that's the only framework they can fit it into and the world is nothing but what is perceived. Elder scrolls is big on dispensing with the line between metaphor and reality)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 2, 2024

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

MikeJF posted:

everything you know exists is nothing

"oh you are a dream-thing" was just for the sake of being concise, to be clear

But what you are saying there is what I am getting at. With the knowledge of being a figment of imagination of a dreaming Godhead, the awareness that the same applies to everything around you makes it one of those "if nothing/then everything" situations.

And those contradictions are important themes there (not specifically of CHIM but all related stuff) because mysticism fundamentally deals a lot about contradiction and thus dialectics, funnily enough. To give a further example of how to deal with that, like, instead of "gently caress you I exist", why not "lol who gives a poo poo"?

It might be very similar on the surface, but are two very different takes. The latter is more about recognizing that the fundamental nature applies to all, so it doesn't matter whether its real or not - a different form of liberation, so to speak

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Being nonbinary immunizes the mind against zero-summing by the way. You already perceived the wholeness of gender and went "Nah im good" or "Ill take it all.", thus you are already past the crisis point.

Source; myself. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's possible that saying 'lol I don't care' to a powerful enough degree that you can survive the realisation is an act of will strong enough that it isn't meaningfully different from saying 'gently caress you I still exist anyway'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 2, 2024

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think it’s easy to underestimate the sheer degree of bad it can be for someone to be in doubt about the continuous reality of the world around them. If everything is fictional, malleable, and without inherent substance, the option that is neither ‘awaken’ nor ‘continue to insist on the meaning and reality of unreality, and be as a lucid dreamer’ is ‘exist in a world where nothing around you has meaning or reality and can change or be changed by outside forces from a higher reality with no recourse.’

So zero-summing and waking from the dream of God is relatively decent compared to total derealization. CHIM is fully accepting oneself as a dream in the mind of God without derealization.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

No one has ever ceased to exist because they became convinced they weren't real.

That's just called being mentally ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wiegieman posted:

No one has ever ceased to exist because they became convinced they weren't real.

That's just called being mentally ill.

In Elder Scrolls the stars and sun are holes poked in the edge of the universe through which magic shines