Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
2024 painting adventure continues, I've now finished FOUR models in the last month, following on from my redemptor dread a few weeks ago

Trying to decide what my next thing is. Do I paint up a squad of Incursors/Infiltrators to do something physically smaller than my Aggressors/Dread/Bikey Boys, do I do the go kart to finish the unit and attachment, or do I paint my Ballistus Dread because it looks sick as hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

iospace posted:

Going to play my first 1k point game this weekend. Nearly have enough Guard built* (but not painted) to field that much, so I'll report back how badly I get smacked :v:

Speaking of which, I think I finally got my guard's paint scheme hammered out:

*I have two Dorn hulls, one is going to have its turret removed and no sponsons to stand in for a Basilisk.

Also, GW: extend the range of the Field Ordnance Battery to 60" or do something to bring its strength up. Seriously, it should occupy a solid middle ground between the vehicle based artillery and the man portable ones. Having the HWS have the same range as it for half the cost makes it relatively worthless. Hell, comparing the mortar to the cannon...

Mortar: 48", d6, 5+, 5, 0, 1, blast, heavy, indirect
Bombast Cannon: 48", d6, 5+, 7, -1, 2, blast, heavy, indirect
Basilisk: 240", d6+3, 4+, 8, -2, 2, blast, heavy, indirect

I can take 6 mortars for the price of two bombasts, and they're split into squads of 3 each. Ah well.

The range on the earth shaker artillery pieces is exaggerated for lore specific reasons, it's not a number that's based on points values or gameplay reasons.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The real answer here is to make plastic kits of the earthshaker carriage battery and the rest of the krieg resin kits and not force people to deal with the forge world poo poo :argh:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Forgeworld is wild, because you pay more for lower quality. The only thing GW has to potentially justify their pricing is the quality of their miniatures. So you would think that their even more expensive stuff would be higher quality, better quality of life improvements, totally deluxe stuff.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think economy of scale factors in there. I suspect there's far less Forgeworld stuff produced in any given run.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Forgeworld is wild, because you pay more for lower quality. The only thing GW has to potentially justify their pricing is the quality of their miniatures. So you would think that their even more expensive stuff would be higher quality, better quality of life improvements, totally deluxe stuff.

forgeworld used to be much higher quality than std GW stuff. not to justify the pricing. but 20 years ago that poo poo was specacular comperd to std gw stuff.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The older FW sets are a crapshoot from what I get, mostly because they're using older and more worn out molds. But the far more recent stuff, as in a couple of years now, are much better. I think the real change seemed to be when they switched over to 3D prints for mold making.

Also the bigger the set, more shakey the quality can be I believe.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I don't buy or get forgeworld stuff very often, because everytime I do it is a huge disappointment, going back to picking up my first forgeworld kit at GW Gamesday in Baltimore of 2001. Perhaps the quality has gotten better in the last few years, but I am reluctant to give it a shot. But to be a good sport I will try to pick up a forgeworld kit for my Necrons and see how they are.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vagabong posted:

That's a beautiful light blue, can i ask for your method?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I can't speak for OP, but you can use shade paints directly on white/off-white to get some interesting light color effects. Agrax Earthshade applied directly can make an interesting light color wood, and then you can go over it with the grey shade to get the look of that grey type wood I forget the name of. This looks like it might be one of the blue shade paints applied directly to a white undercoat.

Shade, midtone, highlight.

It's supposed to be an alpine regiment, so an icy white is what I was shooting for.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

iospace posted:

Going to play my first 1k point game this weekend. Nearly have enough Guard built* (but not painted) to field that much, so I'll report back how badly I get smacked :v:

Speaking of which, I think I finally got my guard's paint scheme hammered out:

*I have two Dorn hulls, one is going to have its turret removed and no sponsons to stand in for a Basilisk.

Also, GW: extend the range of the Field Ordnance Battery to 60" or do something to bring its strength up. Seriously, it should occupy a solid middle ground between the vehicle based artillery and the man portable ones. Having the HWS have the same range as it for half the cost makes it relatively worthless. Hell, comparing the mortar to the cannon...

Mortar: 48", d6, 5+, 5, 0, 1, blast, heavy, indirect
Bombast Cannon: 48", d6, 5+, 7, -1, 2, blast, heavy, indirect
Basilisk: 240", d6+3, 4+, 8, -2, 2, blast, heavy, indirect

I can take 6 mortars for the price of two bombasts, and they're split into squads of 3 each. Ah well.

You aren't wrong, but a pair of bombasts that have sat still and got an order can do some damage. That said, you still throw way less dice, and need to pay for an officer...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The other thing field ordnance battery has going for is that it's a regiment and any officer can issue orders to it.

Which would make sense as another way to balance it if the economy of orders wasn't such a drat mess in the first place.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, I don't buy or get forgeworld stuff very often, because everytime I do it is a huge disappointment, going back to picking up my first forgeworld kit at GW Gamesday in Baltimore of 2001. Perhaps the quality has gotten better in the last few years, but I am reluctant to give it a shot. But to be a good sport I will try to pick up a forgeworld kit for my Necrons and see how they are.

Just kidding, turns out GW is all sold out of Necron forgeworld stuff. In fact, looks like they are sold out of most forgeworld stuff. I wonder if the facilities they use to produce the forgeworld resin kits was repurposed for spinning up stuff for The Old World.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Wrapping up my first-ever fully completed and based model. Just need to clean up the base edge and varnish it. Do I varnish the grass clump, too? Should I use gloss on the muddy base?

Trying to learn good techniques on basic army members before I try and assemble hero characters and such. Scale75 Decay Black from their Fantasy & Games line is a loving godsend for having the well-balanced blue undertone I was looking for.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No don't varnish stuff like grass clumps or flock.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Innocuous posted:

Wrapping up my first-ever fully completed and based model. Just need to clean up the base edge and varnish it. Do I varnish the grass clump, too? Should I use gloss on the muddy base?

Trying to learn good techniques on basic army members before I try and assemble hero characters and such. Scale75 Decay Black from their Fantasy & Games line is a loving godsend for having the well-balanced blue undertone I was looking for.

Depends what kind lf varnish. If using ultra matte varnish it doesnt matter if you get a bit of varnish on the grass, but i wouldnt explicitly try and varnish it because it will clump. I would really recommend ultra matte for this type of paint job with the lighting effects and dirt because it really unifies the surface, gloss would look cheap imo.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Science_enthusiast posted:

Depends what kind lf varnish. If using ultra matte varnish it doesnt matter if you get a bit of varnish on the grass, but i wouldnt explicitly try and varnish it because it will clump. I would really recommend ultra matte for this type of paint job with the lighting effects and dirt because it really unifies the surface, gloss would look cheap imo.
Given it’s a Deathwatch marine with the metallic silver arm I think regular matte or even satin will be fine.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Satin seems to be usually the good neutral option for several different surfaces.

I think I prefer the matte look, but it does make some surfaces look wrong, or just boring.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Mercurius posted:

Given it’s a Deathwatch marine with the metallic silver arm I think regular matte or even satin will be fine.

I meant the base mostly (re gloss looks cheap). It is a massive personal preference thing but i find satin dulls colours out and just looks wet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gloss is great for a wet effect and also sometimes gems.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Science_enthusiast posted:

I meant the base mostly (re gloss looks cheap). It is a massive personal preference thing but i find satin dulls colours out and just looks wet.
I’ve been using a 3:1 mix of matte:satin (I think Vince Venturella recommended it?) and I’ve been pretty happy with it having a bit more life than matte while not having the ‘wet’ look (which I completely agree looks quite off).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think Vincent's mix is 3 satin to 1 ultra matte of varnish, both from AK.

But you probably should just test out what you have and see what works.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hopefully that new Ork codex comes with a new Deff Dread model, because games-workshop needs to ditch the one they have since the mold obviously starting to have some real quality issues.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Here's my army so far, feels amazing to have made it just this far! 800 points of Iron Warriors, just need to build my terminator squad to round out my 1000 (or 995) point army

- Chaos Lord in terminator armor
- Warpsmith
- Obliterators x2
- Chosen x5
- Chosen x5 (proxied with my Kill Team)
- Rhino
- Venomcrawler
- Terminator x5 (Coming Soon)

I will probably swap out a squad of Chosen for a Predator because tanks go pew pew, but I'm trying to use as much as what I already have. I plan on getting the Deimos Predator kit and using some of the leftover chaos bits from the rhino. Expansion plans to 1500 points include a Kratos and maybe a squad of Blooded + Enforcer, maybe an allied Wardog.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lostconfused posted:

Hopefully that new Ork codex comes with a new Deff Dread model, because games-workshop needs to ditch the one they have since the mold obviously starting to have some real quality issues.

The one in my combat patrol box went together great. I just need 2 extra kustom mega blasters to fully fit it out with the ability to own itself in a bad roll.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I thought the deff dread has aged pretty well, didn't see any major issues in the ones that I've built.

Would be nice if the next codex allowed us to run more than three in a list again.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I haven't been making 20 year old kits or something from games-workshop

But I haven't seen stuff like this mold flash anywhere else even though I assume the kits like custodes have been around for a better part of the decade.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lostconfused posted:

I haven't been making 20 year old kits or something from games-workshop

But I haven't seen stuff like this mold flash anywhere else even though I assume the kits like custodes have been around for a better part of the decade.

The sprue should have a date on it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So it does, 2009. Huh, well hopefully it gets updated sometime this decade and doesn't end up like those infamous eldar models from the aughts.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Maybe I should buy a few of those for the sake of nostalgia, since I couldn't afford them when I was a kid.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Went to the LGS and they had gently caress all in stock to expand my Iron Warriors force so I ended up buying an ork killteam I didn't need cause I had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

I really did want more orks though so it's all good.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Has anyone else ever spent four hours repainting tiny little squad markings for their little plastic men just because you were bothered by incomplete/unbalanced unit formations? I think it's a real shame that GW abandoned the platoon concept for IG, I liked how it gave armies a "realistic" structure. Like historical games, I guess.

I just painted/repainted the unit markings for four squads worth of infantry (and transports) to split my mechanised IG into two (nearly identical) platoons of troops. Tiny little scribbles that no one else will ever look at, but it just kept bothering me.

I guess they may be useful some day in separating squads that have piled onto objectives, at least. :)

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

So now that you have to take a battleline unit to take any other daemon allies, are horrors/ daemonettes/ nurglings/ bloodletters etc. going to be the next kits that are impossible to get hold of? Or are people not going to bother with daemon allies now that there is a tax on them?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Finally finished this little monstrosity:

It was exhausting to the point I'm feeling a bit exhausted and don't even want to get started on painting it yet.

Had to go out and get a 13/64" drill bit because the 3mm magnets were too weak to hold the upper arms securely in place. Still ended up destroying a good third of left arm ball getting the 5mm magnet fitted in there so it would connect without too much fuss.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Tangy Zizzle posted:

it's not our place to question why, just to die

edit:

I'm going to run this for my game day on Saturday, I'm playing against Nids and then Tau.

Words

----------------

I'm thinking - Psyker and Platoon Squad goes with the Kriegers to push to mid board and absorb punishment from shooting, Bullygryn stay nearby for counter charge and make the centre of the board a mess. Rogal Dorn and Hellhound to punish anything that gets too close.

Leman Russ Exterminator and "Fields of Fire" strat go off each turn on a unit that I want to delete, if I can get my scout sentinel to spot them as well I'll be hitting on 2s, rr1s, with +2 AP to all my weapons. At that rate even heavy bolters and las guns should be able to do some work.

Scions and Scion command squad to either come down together to try to push on a backfield objective or to come down separately to score secondaries.

Basilisks to slow infantry blobs or punish back objective holders

A close win against invasion fleet tyranids because my opponent ran out of time at the end of turn four and I caught up.

And then I absolutely dumpstered some Tau.

The whole list did some work, bullgryns did great, and bringing in my rogal dorn and tank commander from strat reserve turn 2 and getting that order in, really strong.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

spiderbot posted:

So now that you have to take a battleline unit to take any other daemon allies, are horrors/ daemonettes/ nurglings/ bloodletters etc. going to be the next kits that are impossible to get hold of? Or are people not going to bother with daemon allies now that there is a tax on them?

Nurglings were already impossible to get afaik, and I did try. Honestly, they’re so cheap and useful they’ll probably stay difficult to grab, but the other stuff isn’t costed in game nearly as efficiently.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

spiderbot posted:

People won't bother with them. All the demon allies people were taking were cheap little units of action monkeys and utility guys. Having to take a tax unit with them makes them much too expensive.

Nurglings themselves are battleline so will continue to see use.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
horrors would be useful for CSM and knights if they had gotten a points drop or a rules fix, but they inexplicably got neither

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Decided that since I thought this model was cool I'd paint it up and use it as a proxy for a Chaos Lord in 40k. It took forever and I'm not even close to a good enough painter to do it justice but it'll do for now.

For fun, here's a size comparison between a regular Legionaire, Horus, and Abaddon. He's huge lol.

Maybe this belongs in the 30k thread instead but w/e. There's a few other HH Forgeworld models that'll work as good proxies for 40k that I'm looking forward to working on.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Good job, you made him look Itallian, as he should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He looks awesome man great work.