Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Luficer has a keyblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Adam just looks like average guy is fitting

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Don't forget that we're only seeing the top level of this incarnation of Hell. The Pride Ring is the "top floor" of the stacked Circles. There are deeper, far shittier levels below, and Adam might be on one of them. He's guilty of six of the Seven Deadly Sins, the only exception being Sloth because if there's one thing positive you can say about him, boy got drive.

I can't help but think the "biggest bad" will turn out to be Sera - those flame-filled eyes were a huge telegraphing. It's pretty clear "God" is MIA and she'll feel even more threatened than ever to "secure" Heaven under her banner and "protection" now that Adam is out of the game. It'll also be impossible to keep Heaven's "defeat" quiet without her going fully totalitarian.

Also, Alastor's voice becoming normal after his staff was broken was an "oh poo poo" moment.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 2, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Annointed posted:

Adam just looks like average guy is fitting

I feel like him being quite handsome, but poorly-groomed (you can't blame that sad excuse for a goatee on Lucifer's beatdown) is appropriate. Dude probably avoided washing too much to cultivate his 'natural musk'.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't forget that we're only seeing the top level of this incarnation of Hell. The Pride Ring is the "top floor" of the stacked Circles. There are deeper, far shittier levels below, and Adam might be on one of them. He's guilty of six of the Seven Deadly Sins, the only exception being Sloth because if there's one thing positive you can say about him, boy got drive.

See this is where watching Helluva Boss brings you up to date with the lore. Adam would technically be considered a sinner and thus confined to the Pride ring. Unless of course with exterminations being canceled Lucifer might consider allowing the populace of Pride to start spreading out now. Hard to say honestly.

Also the rings vary greatly depending on their Kings. Gluttony and Lust are beautiful and stable because their rulers are just by hell's standards. Greed is an even worse shithole than Pride because Mammon is loving awful and he doesn't have depression and lack of drive as an excuse.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can't help but think the "biggest bad" will turn out to be Sera - those flame-filled eyes were a huge telegraphing. It's pretty clear "God" is MIA and she'll feel even more threatened than ever to "secure" Heaven under her banner and "protection" now that Adam is out of the game. It'll also be impossible to keep Heaven's "defeat" quiet without her going fully totalitarian.

Also, Alastor's voice becoming normal after his staff was broken was an "oh poo poo" moment.

I don't feel like Sera is sufficiently in control of the forces she's unleashed to even be the main villain in heaven. Lute has way more drive and killer instinct. On the hell side of things, I definitely think we're going to see the rise of Velvette, especially since she spent most of the final episode looking thoughtful in the background while her dipshit business partners were hooting and hollering.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like him being quite handsome, but poorly-groomed (you can't blame that sad excuse for a goatee on Lucifer's beatdown) is appropriate. Dude probably avoided washing too much to cultivate his 'natural musk'.

I mean, pretty sure after being cast out of the garden and all Adam woulda literally been a caveman. And that would explain a lot.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

While it's not outright said iirc, said, one key thing about Hazbin/Helluva Hell is that all sinners are confined to the Pride ring and unable to leave, with the other six rings inhabited by hellborn demons. It's shown in Helluva that travel between them is via basically giant elevators that resemble airports, and about as casual as catching a plane, given the hellborn characters travel fairly freely between them.

And on the note of angelic weapons, it may seem surprising, but thing is, it isn't that crazy that no one's tried to fight Exorcists with their own weapons, or at least lived to tell the tale; for one, angelic weapons are, as established in both shows, both extremely valuable and contraband, since it's one of the few things that can perma-kill both Sinners and otherwise invulnerable Goetia, so they're not being used casually. And just about anyone who can afford and carry them is going to be able to avoid the Exterminations and not be dumb enough to charge alone into a hopeless battle. It was pretty much a freak event that an Overlord who uses angelic weapons was caught out during an Extermination and had the skill and desperation to fight back with them.

And there's also a fun irony there... if it weren't for the Exorcists bringing thousands of angelic spears into Hell and clearly not being too worried about bringing them back, there'd probably be almost no angelic steel weapons in Hell at all. But every E-day brought more and more, and created a thriving business with Carmine ending up with enough stockpiled to equip a small army, because of how uniquely useful they are for demons to kill demons. Their own brutality, arrogance and sloppiness came back to bite them in the worst way- and now all of Hell knows the secret. It couldn't be more humiliating for the Exorcists, though I get the feeling they're probably going to be back anyway.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I wonder if they were setting something up with mentioning Adam as the first human to get into heaven, considering the existence of Abel.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I think we got our first mention of God from Lucifer this episode, though it could just be a turn of phrase. Still no mention of Eve, which is very suspicious given how big Adam and Lilith are.

Also, reminder that Angel made a "double Hell" joke in the pilot. I do wonder if there's something to that, it's really weird that dying in hell can either send you to heaven or make you disappear forever, depending on whether you've redeemed yourself. Hell is pretty murder-happy so you'd think it'd be easy to get randomly stabbed and missed out on an eternity in Heaven cause you weren't ready quite yet. Maybe that second death makes you reincarnate to try again with a new identity, or there's an even worse place for irredeemable sinners.

edit: I just remembered Lucifer made a comment about having sex with Eve. Is she in hell?

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 2, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elman posted:

I think we got our first mention of God from Lucifer this episode, though it could just be a turn of phrase. Still no mention of Eve, which is very suspicious given how big Adam and Lilith are.

Also, reminder that Angel made a "double Hell" joke in the pilot. I do wonder if there's something to that, it's really weird that dying in hell can either send you to heaven or make you disappear forever, depending on whether you've redeemed yourself. Hell is pretty murder-happy so you'd think it'd be easy to get randomly stabbed and missed out on an eternity in Heaven cause you weren't ready quite yet. Maybe that second death makes you reincarnate to try again with a new identity, or there's an even worse place for irredeemable sinners.

Sinners can't be permakilled except by angelic weapons, which raises extremely disturbing implications about Cannibal Town.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like that the cannibals all had the same design choices and I wonder if you get certain form based around how you sinnned and if some are just more common than others. There's aren't any other TV heads that we've seen yet, and some seem to get a form based on how they died like Alastor. But then like the cannibals, there seems to be a whole bunch of dinosaur sinners

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I wonder how long it will be until the gang finds out about Sir Pentious being in heaven now. Emily will definitely want to send the message down, but I would not be surprised by Sera doing her best to block it/prevent people in heaven from finding out a soul from hell got to heaven. Wouldn't be surprised if heaven's embassy in hell gets temporarily closed in the aftermath of the exterminations being fought off. I can easily see there being some mid-season episode where Emily and Sir Pentious go and sneak into exterminators' turf and use their means of creating portals to hell to go visit, probably while the hotel is in the middle of some crisis because of course it will happen at the worst possible moment. Pentious interacting with the spidery angel that seems related to Angel Dust could happen as well.

The look on the two angels' faces when Pentious appeared was loving hilarious. Emily being entirely hyped up about Charlie's project working and Sera being utterly mortified that it worked. Based on what little we've seen of Sera, she doesn't seem like she's nearly as bad as Adam, more of an overseer of a broken system who doesn't think it can get better, but realizing that she's been allowing exterminations to go on while redemption is fully possible has gotta gently caress her up mentally. It also kind of does feel like someone wanted to send a message to the seraphim by having Sir Pentious appear in what appears to be their private quarters.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Macaluso posted:

I like that the cannibals all had the same design choices and I wonder if you get certain form based around how you sinnned and if some are just more common than others. There's aren't any other TV heads that we've seen yet, and some seem to get a form based on how they died like Alastor. But then like the cannibals, there seems to be a whole bunch of dinosaur sinners

I feel like the nature of your sin/actions probably defines how you look. Hence the very similar look to all the cannibals of cannibal town (and in fact Alastor shares their teeth).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I feel like the nature of your sin/actions probably defines how you look. Hence the very similar look to all the cannibals of cannibal town (and in fact Alastor shares their teeth).

That huge spiky grin the cannibals have is incredibly common for demons. Even Lucifer the fallen angel has it. It's Alastor's yellow teeth that are unique, or at least uncommon.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Macaluso posted:

There's aren't any other TV heads that we've seen yet

There was the teleprompter guy in the pilot.

Macaluso posted:

there seems to be a whole bunch of dinosaur sinners

Creationism is canon, and dinosaurs can be hard to outrun :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though apparently even in Heaven not every soul looks human such as Angel’s sister being a spider as well and Pentious still looking like a snake even after he ascended.

Speaking of the latter, as others have said I wouldn’t be surprised if we haven’t seen the last of him just yet (Sera has now seen undeniable proof that sinners in Hell can still get into Heaven and Emily now has an ally, though whether the former will let this go public is another matter)

Also curious if Cherrie’s joining the hotel now seeing as we saw her helping with its reconstruction

Hopefully we’ll see these guys again sooner rather than later but I also look forward to checking back in with the IMP gang before long as well (still kind of curious if there will be any crossover between the two shows besides maybe a picture here and there, Lucifer making an appearance in the latter is at least possible as is the Sins popping up in the former)

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I'm grateful Sir Pentious is alive and well because that name is a 10/10 pun, he rules and it's a very fun thing just to say aloud.

Season good. Love these goofballs. I think they did a really excellent job in juggling all the things they needed to achieve in a very condensed amount of time to set up the show. Not perfect but impressive none the less.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't feel like Sera is sufficiently in control of the forces she's unleashed to even be the main villain in heaven. Lute has way more drive and killer instinct. On the hell side of things, I definitely think we're going to see the rise of Velvette, especially since she spent most of the final episode looking thoughtful in the background while her dipshit business partners were hooting and hollering.

And making out with each other.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Larryb posted:

Though apparently even in Heaven not every soul looks human such as Angel’s sister being a spider as well and Pentious still looking like a snake even after he ascended.

Speaking of the latter, as others have said I wouldn’t be surprised if we haven’t seen the last of him just yet (Sera has now seen undeniable proof that sinners in Hell can still get into Heaven and Emily now has an ally, though whether the former will let this go public is another matter)

Also curious if Cherrie’s joining the hotel now seeing as we saw her helping with its reconstruction

My assumption was in Heaven you can pick your look, so if you wanna be a sexy catman or just a dude is your call. Hell, on the other hand, forces a look on you. Maybe ironically based on your sin or totally random. It’s one thing to give everyone a form they hate, but having it random adds a layer of torment feeling you got shafted or stewing jealousy for others.

Also makes me wonder if, assuming they do the while Adam becomes a sinner plot, Adam will look different.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

My assumption was in Heaven you can pick your look, so if you wanna be a sexy catman or just a dude is your call. Hell, on the other hand, forces a look on you. Maybe ironically based on your sin or totally random. It’s one thing to give everyone a form they hate, but having it random adds a layer of torment feeling you got shafted or stewing jealousy for others.

Also makes me wonder if, assuming they do the while Adam becomes a sinner plot, Adam will look different.

I'm betting on 'different but recognisable'. Maybe halfway between his human face and his exorcist mask?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of like it that even sinners look like demons, I wonder if that’s part of their punishment.

Also I assume Lilith is going to be one of the main driving forces next season so I’m curious what her angle is (I’m still not fully ruling out her being the one holding Alastor’s leash). Curious if we’re gonna meet Eve eventually as well (Lucifer’s little dig at Adam during the finale was the first mention of her I believe)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm betting on 'different but recognisable'. Maybe halfway between his human face and his exorcist mask?
Or some new character at the hotel is eventually revealed to be Adam trying to get revenge

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

I kind of like it that even sinners look like demons, I wonder if that’s part of their punishment.

Also I assume Lilith is going to be one of the main driving forces next season so I’m curious what her angle is (I’m still not fully ruling out her being the one holding Alastor’s leash). Curious if we’re gonna meet Eve eventually as well (Lucifer’s little dig at Adam during the finale was the first mention of her I believe)

Eve was also mentioned in the first episode's opening narration, but otherwise she's been noticeably absent. It could be that there's kind of a twist there in that Eve could be the considered to be the first sinner, not Lilith. I don't remember if Lilith actually bit the apple at all or just helped Lucifer convince Eve to do it. Could be that the rules get a little wonky with Lilith and Eve in regards to possible sinner status since they were the first mortals to sin - at least in the opening narration Lilith didn't seem to be a demon when she was cast down to hell alongside Lucifer. It could be that she technically never died even if she turned demonic in hell so Eve gets the dubious honor of being the first mortal soul to be cast to hell upon death.

Both are probably special cases like Adam regardless - Adam was clearly more powerful than the average angel, as Alastor found out much to his dismay.

Eve kind of feels like she might be the final boss, so to speak. Redeeming the first sinner would be a pretty good capstone for the series. I could easily see general plot structure being something like season 2 being mostly troubles from just hell with Vs and Lilith with maybe some stuff Lute and Sera, with the season ending on Alastor calling in his favor and season 3 being the fall out, Eve being the main villain and Alastor a secondary one until he probably redeems himself halfway through the season or something. Alastor is definitely contracted to either Lilith or Eve, but who knows which at this point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Eve was also mentioned in the first episode's opening narration, but otherwise she's been noticeably absent. It could be that there's kind of a twist there in that Eve could be the considered to be the first sinner, not Lilith. I don't remember if Lilith actually bit the apple at all or just helped Lucifer convince Eve to do it. Could be that the rules get a little wonky with Lilith and Eve in regards to possible sinner status since they were the first mortals to sin - at least in the opening narration Lilith didn't seem to be a demon when she was cast down to hell alongside Lucifer. It could be that she technically never died even if she turned demonic in hell so Eve gets the dubious honor of being the first mortal soul to be cast to hell upon death.

Both are probably special cases like Adam regardless - Adam was clearly more powerful than the average angel, as Alastor found out much to his dismay.

Eve kind of feels like she might be the final boss, so to speak. Redeeming the first sinner would be a pretty good capstone for the series. I could easily see general plot structure being something like season 2 being mostly troubles from just hell with Vs and Lilith with maybe some stuff Lute and Sera, with the season ending on Alastor calling in his favor and season 3 being the fall out, Eve being the main villain and Alastor a secondary one until he probably redeems himself halfway through the season or something. Alastor is definitely contracted to either Lilith or Eve, but who knows which at this point.

Problem with that is that Adam is the 'first sinner' by most conventional forms of morality, even if the cosmology initially sorted him to the wrong place. Remember that he lost both of his wives to Lucifer (a good guy, if a shortsighted and unlucky one) by being the most gigantic possible douchebag.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Problem with that is that Adam is the 'first sinner' by most conventional forms of morality, even if the cosmology initially sorted him to the wrong place. Remember that he lost both of his wives to Lucifer (a good guy, if a shortsighted and unlucky one) by being the most gigantic possible douchebag.

True enough. If Adam revives as a demon, I'm pretty sure he (and Lute) will also get redeemed before the end of the series. Lute might become conflicted about her fury if she sees Adam as a demon, especially if Adam ends up begging her for mercy. That last smile Adam had as he died seemed to be intended to comfort Lute.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On the appearances of deceased human souls, I get the feeling that, heaven or hell, their forms are a bit random but follow themes (with Angel's entire family having the fluffy spider appearance- including his apparent sister, who's in Heaven) and I don't think are necessarily meant to be cursed or treated as such, we don't see many sinner demons who seem unhappy with or resentful of their forms. Fits with the theme that Hell doesn't necessarily do much of a job at punishing sinners besides making them put up with each other. Especially given Pentious as an angel only has mild aesthetic changes but otherwise is very much still a snakeman. He's spent over a hundred years in that body, so he's probably used to it, but still.

We also see one inhabitant of Heaven who looks like a Care Bear, possibly fittingly. Actually on that note, I can't remember if I got this from here, but I must inflict it upon ye.

https://twitter.com/Vicshnei_Art/status/1752857739452133862

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I strongly suspect that there's some disturbing grooming poo poo going on with the Exorcists. Adam was the anti-Charlie, grandfathered in before the mysterious but apparently semi-functional morality sorting system was properly in place, and was this able to turn an army of basically decent people (who oh-so-coincidentally happened to all be attractive young women) into genocidal maniacs. My bet is that when we get into Lute's backstory and her relationship with her boss, it's going to be insanely hosed up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It seems fairly obvious that Alastor wants Charlie to talk his “master” into letting him out of his contract (the ending implies the former has some sinister plans in mind once he’s free though but we’ll see how that goes)

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I strongly suspect that there's some disturbing grooming poo poo going on with the Exorcists. Adam was the anti-Charlie, grandfathered in before the mysterious but apparently semi-functional morality sorting system was properly in place, and was this able to turn an army of basically decent people (who oh-so-coincidentally happened to all be attractive young women) into genocidal maniacs. My bet is that when we get into Lute's backstory and her relationship with her boss, it's going to be insanely hosed up.

I honestly think Adam was a good dude when he got into heaven. He just became shittier over time and didn't get the boot because he hadn't died again.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Random music question:

So, currently you can purchase Hazbin Hotel songs on Amazon Music to download and keep for $1.29 apiece, which is pretty standard there. But they also have album purchase options at a discount (also pretty standard). Problem is, right now it's heavily fractured. If you want everything from the entire HH soundtrack, you currently need to make five - FIVE! - separate purchases: "Poison" and "Happy Day in Hell" as standalone singles, "Part 1," which is the rest of the songs from the first batch of 4 episodes, "Part 2," for the songs from episodes 5 and 6, and "Part 3" for the songs from eps 7 & 8.

It's sensible and reasonable to imagine they did this so as not to spoil too much before each batch of episodes came out, so I get why it's been like this so far, but does anyone know if they're going to merge it all into a singular album once all the episodes have been out for a bit so I can just have it all under one album header? And not have to buy five different things? Or is it doomed to just kinda float there abandoned now that it's all out? I don't know how vigilant Amazon is about this kind of thing.

Not the most important thing in the world, I know, but I'm kind of a stickler for proper organization. And maybe I can save a bit more on the purchase if they're all together under one album.

(And yes, I know there IS an "official playlist" option with all the songs together, but it's not a purchasable album.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

I honestly think Adam was a good dude when he got into heaven. He just became shittier over time and didn't get the boot because he hadn't died again.

The events leading up to the Fall of Man say otherwise, and we've seen enough of Lucifer and Adam to believe the former is a reasonably reliable source on how things went down.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

The events leading up to the Fall of Man say otherwise, and we've seen enough of Lucifer and Adam to believe the former is a reasonably reliable source on how things went down.

Being kind of an rear end in a top hat doesn't make you a bad person. It just makes you kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Getting away with being kind of an rear end in a top hat for millenia unchecked? That makes you a bad person.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What was the deal with the biblical Lillith out of curiosity? I only know some things via cultural osmosis and I believe she comes from a story that’s either non canonical or at least highly contested among various sects

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On the appearances of deceased human souls, I get the feeling that, heaven or hell, their forms are a bit random but follow themes (with Angel's entire family having the fluffy spider appearance- including his apparent sister, who's in Heaven) and I don't think are necessarily meant to be cursed or treated as such, we don't see many sinner demons who seem unhappy with or resentful of their forms. Fits with the theme that Hell doesn't necessarily do much of a job at punishing sinners besides making them put up with each other. Especially given Pentious as an angel only has mild aesthetic changes but otherwise is very much still a snakeman. He's spent over a hundred years in that body, so he's probably used to it, but still.

We also see one inhabitant of Heaven who looks like a Care Bear, possibly fittingly. Actually on that note, I can't remember if I got this from here, but I must inflict it upon ye.

https://twitter.com/Vicshnei_Art/status/1752857739452133862

Lol if god is some loving my little pony mixed with last unicorn horse. Honestly i can see it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Larryb posted:

What was the deal with the biblical Lillith out of curiosity? I only know some things via cultural osmosis and I believe she comes from a story that’s either non canonical or at least highly contested among various sects

I believe it’s mostly Jewish/Hebrew folklore and such. Most of the demons are from ye old Jewish texts and such.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I believe it’s mostly Jewish/Hebrew folklore and such. Most of the demons are from ye old Jewish texts and such.

Did she have anything to do with Eve/the Fall of Man in the original stories or did she predate her?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

She was Adam's first wife who wanted to be his equal not lie under him and she was banished from the garden for her defiance of the "natural" order. She became a demon/succubus afterwards who fed on the blood of children. It's from a non canonical jewish sect that's considered very controversial to this day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So basically she wanted to be an independent woman not subservient to her husband and got punished for it, I can definitely see Hazbin running with that story

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lol if god is some loving my little pony mixed with last unicorn horse. Honestly i can see it.

In the scene where Pentious goes to heaven, the doorframe has two unicorn heads. I think god might actually be a unicorn

Also saw someone point this out on Twitter, but the irony in the first sinner to be redeemed being a snake man :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

So basically she wanted to be an independent woman not subservient to her husband and got punished for it, I can definitely see Hazbin running with that story

Correct. The opening referencing her fierce independence wasn't some feminist screed insert, that's straight up from her origin story in that she adamantly refused to bend the knee to anyone. Considering how in Hellaverse canon Lucifer didn't fit in with the other angels him falling for Lilith makes a lot of sense. She essentially isolated herself from mankind by refusing to become the mother of it.