Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

"I think we should gently caress first."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I'm sorry to sound interrogative, but did you drop Our Boarding House?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Tiggum posted:

It is super weird how dedicated Diana is to getting her son together with her daughter's friend.

So, in what way is Steamboat Willie actually the "basis and inspiration" for this completely unrelated story?

It's legal to use the visual designs of the oldest Disney characters now, so he has to use them, I guess, to thumb his nose at the mouse or whatever. At least this is slightly less banal than another horror thing with an evil Mickey in it.

Really this only highlights how lovely it is that it takes 95 years or whatever for things to become public domain, since by the time something is available for use it's almost entirely culturally irrelevant. Steamboat Willie is very famous, of course, but I don't think the general public actually care about it at all. It's probably been largely without economic value even to Disney for decades.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 23, 1961)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

~Coxy posted:

I'm sorry to sound interrogative, but did you drop Our Boarding House?

Because there's a good chance I didn't say exactly what was going on, there was a family medical emergency that popped up roughly three weeks ago that is still ongoing and, because I've been designated a certain role in caregiving (and because I feel like I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing), it's been eating up almost the entirety of my waking hours. I'm posting what I can handle in a day, and as soon as things settle down I'll hopefully get back to my regular schedule.

Medenmath posted:

It's legal to use the visual designs of the oldest Disney characters now, so he has to use them, I guess, to thumb his nose at the mouse or whatever. At least this is slightly less banal than another horror thing with an evil Mickey in it.

Really this only highlights how lovely it is that it takes 95 years or whatever for things to become public domain, since by the time something is available for use it's almost entirely culturally irrelevant. Steamboat Willie is very famous, of course, but I don't think the general public actually care about it at all. It's probably been largely without economic value even to Disney for decades.

Can't underline enough that the big reason everybody's swarming Steamboat Willie at this moment is because they blame the Disney Corporation for killing the growth of the US public domain for twenty years, which is an oversimplification of how it actually went down (there was a lot more lobbying than just Disney), but all of that happened around the same time that Disney lawyers became notorious for suing daycares for the pictures they painted on their walls. Just like COVID made everyone familiar with virology and immunology, overzealous Disney-style copyright cops and DMCA takedown notices created a generation of armchair IP legal experts.

So yeah, Mousetrapped is basically a symbolic victory lap for free-as-in-libre media, because Randy is telling a story with Mickey without checking his mailbox for subpoenas. As for whether that big disclaimer on every single strip is actually necessary for what's effectively Tumblr fan art? Well, that depends on what he plans to do with the story once it's completed, which (if it involves money changing hands) will be the test as to how much you can push a still-trademarked mouse before he squeaks.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 2, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/1/04

Brenda Starr 7/21-23/52

Smokey Stover 7/12/59

Everyday Movies 3/16/37

"Gee, Mabel, didja notice what a crummy crowd there was in the subway this morning?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/17-19/43

Mrs. Rekrow the worker?

Closer Than We Think! 7/12/59

"Obscure chemicals"? Sounds safe.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

Slow your roll there Tinkerson Dad, you aren't Wade Boggs.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Caveman Crankshaft

Curtis

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(12/22/1993)

(12/23/1993)

Ziggy

(8/20/1971)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Neverending Child Adventures

yep.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Those antlers look uncomfortably like deformed hands.

Flash Gordon

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I see you're in the midst of loosing that shirt, Flash.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 3, 2024

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"You don't have the skill, experience or demeanor to be the assistant manager"

lol, and while I'm at it, lmao to say that it takes any "skill" or "experience" to be a retail manager like Josh.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix gets topical with :words:

Rose is Rose

Everyone hated that baby.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, September 30-October 6, 1983

Note 8:

quote:

Babushka
Babushka is Russian and Polish slang for grandmother, because of the headscarves they wore which were called babushkas.
Note 9:

quote:

Voochko
Voochko's name is played off the name Vucko, the mascot of the former Yugoslavia Olympics in 1984. In the comic the character represents Soviet Communism. At the time of this comic, the US and the USSR were in the middle of the Cold War, a period of geopolitical tension between the USA and former Soviet Union, that ran from the end of World War Two to the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. Both were nuclear powers, and the danger that either side might set off a full scale nuclear war was very real.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Because there's a good chance I didn't say exactly what was going on, there was a family medical emergency that popped up roughly three weeks ago that is still ongoing and, because I've been designated a certain role in caregiving (and because I feel like I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing), it's been eating up almost the entirety of my waking hours. I'm posting what I can handle in a day, and as soon as things settle down I'll hopefully get back to my regular schedule.
Do what you gotta do. I really hope everything works out for the best for you and your family, and I appreciate the time you take to get what you post here.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

I don't get it.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 2, 2024

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The continuous smirking in whatever is going on in The Phantom right now is so off-putting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Caphi posted:

The continuous smirking in whatever is going on in The Phantom right now is so off-putting.

I'm not even sure Funky Winkerbean Crankshaft characters would smirk at the thought of their own mother in prison.

Pluggers

Plugger category: fat

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

See, they love each other so they can all get along despite their differences!!!

What a bunch of bullshit. :barf:

Caphi posted:

Yeah, I could look past the temp art a lot more if he was willing to draw more than one facial expression.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Until this point I felt like Shauna and Lottie were being just as unpleasant to the boys as they were being to Shauna and Lottie, if not more so. Not without reason, of course, and not unrealistically. Not always directly, either, as going off and staying in town too long and getting drunk in the process is the sort of thing that could have splashed back and made things more unpleasant for everyone even if the actual adult reaction to it was pretty mild and directed properly at Shauna and Lottie.

This. This is where I changed my mind. There's socially awkward and then there's sexual harassment, Jordan, and a goddamn 'panty raid' is a hell of a step further than the other guy no-filter asking if Shauna and Lottie have synced cycles. Only Tuan survives my disdain for this, and he attempted murder during the onion kid arc, iirc.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Forum accident posted:

Ziggy

(8/20/1971)

Man, the divide between modern Ziggy and the OG is loving stark.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

No, but for real. If this essay actually turns into a Bernice diss track I am so for it.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Quit trying to ruin tater tots, dude.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 5, 1910)

$49.67 is $1,603.80 today.

Baron Bean(February 4, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(January 3, 1912)

Gasoline Alley(September 23, 1919)

So ends the camping arc

Us Boys(December 9, 1911)

The Gumps(March 2, 1917)

Krazy Kat(November 28, 1913)

A retread of Tuesday's 'Family Upstairs' bit.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I can't believe I'm invested in a fight between 2 imaginary friends, one of whom is a sandwich making bellhop

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

End of the epilogue of book 1! I’ll start book 2 tomorrow, and go back to a page a day since we’re back to text-dense 4-panel strips which take longer to translate (for the first half of the book anyway – later she has some more of the chapter-length “narrative” stories).

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Bluebeard Affair

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

I don't get it.

The first dog is super excited for his owner to get back (because he's so awesome). Poncho is not excited, so he thinks Chaz isn't as great as the guy still in the store.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

No, but for real. If this essay actually turns into a Bernice diss track I am so for it.

I am here for someone to finally say something bad about Bernice in the comic.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 01, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

They probably can see your tracks going under the spruce, dummy.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

I've very sorry to hear that, I hope everything works out OK.
I appreciate the work that you and others put in to posting comics, especially the scans, historic strips, and translations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/13/52

Archie 6/13-15/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 1/3-5/77

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"You don't have the skill, experience or demeanor to be the assistant manager"

lol, and while I'm at it, lmao to say that it takes any "skill" or "experience" to be a retail manager like Josh.

if anything Josh would be promoted to assistant manager, and then manager at the next new opening, not because he is good at his job, but, Lesson of Life, he has sucked up to the DM and is a good simp to him.

had Retail not ended, at some point he would have become DM over Marla while Stuart moved up in corporate. unless Josh got there first.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

if anything Josh would be promoted to assistant manager, and then manager at the next new opening, not because he is good at his job, but, Lesson of Life, he has sucked up to the DM and is a good simp to him.

had Retail not ended, at some point he would have become DM over Marla while Stuart moved up in corporate. unless Josh got there first.

I might be misremembering the last run of Retail, but didn't Josh leave to go work at Delman's?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Weembles posted:

I might be misremembering the last run of Retail, but didn't Josh leave to go work at Delman's?

i think so. but realistically had he stayed at Grumbles, he would have been way up the corp ladder before Marla made DM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 7/12/59

"Obscure chemicals"? Sounds safe.

It's not as bad as I expected, honestly.

"https://adelaideaz.com/articles/jack-becker-and-scientist-david-riceman-turn-ninety-mile-desert-into-productive-coonalpyn-downs posted:

South Australia’s Ninety-Mile Desert was transformed into Coonalpyn Downs agricultural land by entrepreneur Jack Becker and scientist David Riceman from 1943 when Becker bought 3,080 hectares of “poor despised land” 13km west of Keith. Although it received 45cm annual rainfall, the region was unproductive due to soil that was largely leached silicious sand (Laffer sand).

The deficiency of soil trace elements – manganese, copper, zinc and molybdenum – on pasture and on grazing stock had been found in parts of Western Australia, South Australia and New Zealand and shown a decade before by research workers in Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR – later CSIRO) and at Adelaide’s Waite Agricultural Research Institute.

When Becker brought his Beckersfield property near Keith at 27/6d per hectare in 1943, he knew about David Riceman's work with the CSCIR on mineral deficiencies in the soil at Robert Dawson’s farm in Robe, in South Australia’s south east. Becker made available land, labour and any other help Riceman needed to test trace elements at Beckersfield.

The first cereal and pasture plots sewn in 1944 showed they responded to superphosphate but, more profoundly, copper and zinc. Riceman's work continued until 1948. It greatly increased farm and pastoral plus scientific understanding. Some, including Becker, became very wealthy, with land prices rising from about 25/- per hectare to about £25. Becker himself moved into producing and harvesting high-quality pasture seeds, especially Clare subterranean clover and perennial veldt grass.

Becker developed seed of a satisfactory purity and germination that he sold commercially through his Unarlee Pastoral Company with Alf Hannaford, a maker of agricultural machinery, who delivered the seed to farmers around the state in his fleet of trucks fitted with the wheat seed grading and pickling machine he invented.

So, probably quite a bit of excessive fertilization, but also trace-element replenishment.