Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

1024x768 posted:

I'm doing a budget build challenge ($50)... Any strong feelings about commanders I should check out?

It's tokens but if I was building budget I would probably build Talrand with a bunch of cantrips.

Tolarian Community College has done some good budget build-your-own precon videos. Worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

my mono-blue deck is one that basically nobody uses as a commander and thats why i love it :v:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

Does anyone have a decklist for Rin and Seri with a bunch of cats/dogs, all the land fetching sorceries/instants, lots of card draw, but very little interaction or hostile actions? I.e. a carebear decklist for a 9 year old girl that gets to DO a lot (play a bunch of lands, draw lots of cards) but not really DO-DO a lot (attack, deal damage, board wipe)

My daugher seems curious about magic. She always tries to find excuses to orbit around the game table when me and the boys are playing, so i figure i could look into getting her a deck. Will be a good way to motivate her to read english at least. (tertiary language). Have not succeeded finding such a decklist on moxfield.

lmao I'm going to tell your 9-year-old you said DO-DO

If I were making a deck for that age, I wouldn't put in any land fetching. The less she has to shuffle a deck bigger than her hands the better. I don't have a decklist, but this should do the trick: https://edhrec.com/commanders/rin-and-seri-inseparable/budget Stay as vanilla as possible and put in Fleetfoot Panther and Whitemane Lion and let her discover that on her own. Phabine, Boss's Confidant is a nice carebare style card that actually does things, too.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Stopped by my lgs on the way home from work on a whim and grabbed a Commander Masters booster. It was a draft booster, it was all they had.

Got a borderless profile The Ur-Dragon and a Deflecting Swat. Neither was foil, but I'm not complaining.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Stopped by my lgs on the way home from work on a whim and grabbed a Commander Masters booster. It was a draft booster, it was all they had.

Got a borderless profile The Ur-Dragon and a Deflecting Swat. Neither was foil, but I'm not complaining.

You should let me hold onto the Deflecting Swat for you. You know, for safekeeping.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

1024x768 posted:

I'm doing a budget build challenge ($50) with a few friends and want to put something together that is competitive, but not like ridiculously oppressive (Zada etc.). I think token decks and combo decks in general are something I'd like to stay away from. Meta is playing a fairly high number of boardwipes/interaction -- they are mostly veteran players who think they're running power 5 decks that are actually power 8.

I think I like the idea of mono-blue, or blue and something else. Counterplay is good, but I want a clear path to a win condition too. Weird cards are cool. Old border cards are also cool as hell.

Any strong feelings about commanders I should check out?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How does the power level ranking work anyway? Like I know its mostly a meme and every deck is "totally a 7 bro anyway turn 1 mana crypt, chrome mox, land, tutor..."

I did see one of the various edh podcasts talking about "if you have these cards in your deck, its probably not a 7 or 8" like mana crypt, jeska's will, tutors, etc so I was wondering if it ever actually meant something, and if there was a better way to discuss how strong decks are? The best way I know is just saying what turn your deck is trying to win on, but that really only works for combo decks. If your deck is just winning by turning dudes sideways, then do you just figure out how fast you can ramp/tutor into Craterhoof? I suppose if you win through combat, and don't have a craterhoof, your opponents know they don't need to be afraid of you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I literally just put whatever cards I had in a deck and there might even be an island in there but if I draw it, I'll play it as a plains
Precon
Upgraded precon
I'm experienced and built it myself
I copied it from edhrec
I copied it from mtgtop8
It's Tymna/Kraum

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There's no systematic way to assess whether a deck is more powerful than the others on the table, even before you get to the pure chaos of how some decks specifically interact with others. If there was a way to categorise it into different leagues, then you'd just get power gamers figuring out the most optimum build for each category anyway. Instead you just have to feel the atmosphere in the room when you take the W. Is everyone happy about what they achieved, or do they all think you're a jerk for running that build? Talk about it, and make decisions. It's not even power level that's worth talking about: some decks aren't going to take the win but can just be obstructive and annoying enough to make everyone miserable. It's also sportsmanship - Like I play a cataclysm in my Bruna deck, which a lot of tables would outright ban because a lot of players will just throw it down to stall a game when things are bad for them. My pals don't mind it because they know I only throw it down as a finisher when Bruna is out and hold back on it otherwise.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A Moose posted:

How does the power level ranking work anyway? Like I know its mostly a meme and every deck is "totally a 7 bro anyway turn 1 mana crypt, chrome mox, land, tutor..."

I did see one of the various edh podcasts talking about "if you have these cards in your deck, its probably not a 7 or 8" like mana crypt, jeska's will, tutors, etc so I was wondering if it ever actually meant something, and if there was a better way to discuss how strong decks are? The best way I know is just saying what turn your deck is trying to win on, but that really only works for combo decks. If your deck is just winning by turning dudes sideways, then do you just figure out how fast you can ramp/tutor into Craterhoof? I suppose if you win through combat, and don't have a craterhoof, your opponents know they don't need to be afraid of you.

Power level is dumb. A better talk is more on what your deck does and how well it does it. Like is your goal to make a bunch of creatures then use an overrun effect, or is it to slow other people down until you can infinite combo to a win? Are you planning on winning by turn 4 with any opening hand or do you need a magical Christmas land god hand to win before turn 10? Does your deck hard counter another deck at the table, like any blink deck against elesh norn? These are the conversations you should have before a game.

Those staple cards dont necessarily make a deck good, just consistent. Some decks archetypes and commanders are better than others. If I load up my Duke Under Ravengard deck with fast mana and all the top 10 staples for a $10,000 deck it'll probably be less strong than a Winota deck that I shoved draft chaft into for a total of $150 including the deck box and sleeves.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

A Moose posted:

How does the power level ranking work anyway?

It doesn't, people are just obsessed with putting one number on things because it's easy to understand even if it's wrong (see also: GDP, etc)

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

A Moose posted:

The only other thing I'll add to what people are saying is that other formats follow a rule based on what turn a win attempt is reasonable. In vintage anything goes, Legacy frowns on T1 consistent protected wins, modern T2, standard T3. You can win in legacy T1, but if you can do it 1/2 the time and have a counterspell to protect it, that's a problem. In EDH, a deck that's assembling a win T2 is very different than one that's going for a T6 win just naturally. It's not a hard rule, but knowing what board state you're expecting on T3-4 is very useful for that conversation.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

A Moose posted:

My Shorikai is a soft 7. I'm just drawing cards and making 1/1 pilot tokens. It's not a threat, ignore me.

Then I play Aetherflux Resevoir, turn it into a creature, give it lifelink, and 360 no-scope everyone at the table, gg.

Edit: oh I forgot to mention that in order to draw my Sentient Railgun(tm) I had to imprint Dramatic Reversal into my Isochron Scepter. With a perfect opening hand (those two plus Sol Ring + Arcane Signet) I can generate (effectively) infinite mana and draw my entire deck on turn 2. But that like, never happens, don't worry about it.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 30, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
All my commander decks end up being like over a thousand dollars if you count all the cards at arbitrarily high single prices but I'm not gonna build a deck without true duals at least. Even with proxy freedom though it's not like those expensive staples make the deck magically powerful. The Most Dangerous Gamer isn't really that dangerous whether you've got a thousand dollar manabase or a fifty dollar deck.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

All my commander decks end up being like over a thousand dollars if you count all the cards at arbitrarily high single prices but I'm not gonna build a deck without true duals at least.

Why not? The building costs for the replacements (battlelands, shock lands, etc) are very low

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Those go in there too. When they all cost the same no reason not to have em.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I really like the packages system on Moxfield for lands, ramp and other fairly generic additions to decks. I have one for each of 2, 3, 4 and 5 colours containing every cycle that I use for that number. When you add them to a deck it only adds those that are legal for the commander's colour identity. Setting up a land base for a new deck is a couple of clicks to add the package, manually filter out which fetches I don't need, then add utility lands

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Tarnop posted:

I really like the packages system on Moxfield for lands, ramp and other fairly generic additions to decks. I have one for each of 2, 3, 4 and 5 colours containing every cycle that I use for that number. When you add them to a deck it only adds those that are legal for the commander's colour identity. Setting up a land base for a new deck is a couple of clicks to add the package, manually filter out which fetches I don't need, then add utility lands

That's pretty cool - any chance you'd be willing to share these lists (if it's possible)?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lands - 5 Colour EDH
Lands - 4 Colour EDH
Lands - 3 Colour EDH
Lands - 2 Colour EDH

I haven't updated them or my decks in some time so they'll be missing some newer stuff (notably they don't include channel lands, need to fix that). They're also missing og duals because of playgroup convention. Moxfield should allow you to duplicate them and modify to your heart's content

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 31, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Also worth mentioning that Moxfield accepts Scryfall search syntax, and if you find a land on Scryfall it will show you the search string for the cycle under Related Searches

That's how i quickly grabbed all the cards from the cycles I wanted to use

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Tarnop posted:

Lands - 5 Colour EDH
Lands - 4 Colour EDH
Lands - 3 Colour EDH
Lands - 2 Colour EDH

I haven't updated them or my decks in some time so they'll be missing some newer stuff (notably they don't include channel lands, need to fix that). They're also missing og duals because of playgroup convention. Moxfield should allow you to duplicate them and modify to your heart's content

killer, thank you!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Rules question

The other day a player in my group played a card that was basically

Create 1 X/X token
Create x 1/1 tokens

His deck is basically about copying tokens when they enter the game, and wanted to copy the swarm of 1/1s. We were unsure if he could, sat there a while googling, couldn’t find a conclusive answer but the closest we got was that he doesn’t get to pick the order and had to copy the X/X

(He can only copy once per turn)

Question is:
Are these 2 events a single event and he gets to copy both?
If not:
Can he choose which of these 2 events he copies?

There was no «create x/x token THEN create 1/1 tokens» wording, so it kinda reads like creating the tokens is 1 event.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 1, 2024

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Ineptitude posted:

Rules question

The other day a player in my group played a card that was basically

Create 1 X/X token
Create x 1/1 tokens

His deck is basically about copying tokens when they enter the game, and wanted to copy the swarm of 1/1s. We were unsure if he could, sat there a while googling, couldn’t find a conclusive answer but the closest we got was that he doesn’t get to pick the order and had to copy the X/X

(He can only copy once per turn)

Question is:
Are these 2 events a single event and he gets to copy both?
If not:
Can he choose which of these 2 events he copies?

There was no «create x/x token THEN create 1/1 tokens» wording, so it kinda reads like creating the tokens is 1 event.
Pretty sure you're talking about Sylvan Offering, and believe both effects for the caster will occur at the same time as one ability, ie. they are creating an X/X and X 1/1s at the same time as one whole thing.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

How was he copying them?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The only thing I can think of is Esix, Fractal Bloom, which turns the first tokens you create in a turn into something else.

Things on cards happen in the order in which they're printed. Sylvan Offering creates an X/X and THEN creates X 1/1s, creating the X/X is the first time a token has been created and the 1/1s are the second time a token has been created.

Esix can change the X/X into something else, but not the 1/1s.

Ineptitude posted:

https://scryfall.com/card/ncc/314/sylvan-offering (for reference)

You don't need "then" on cards unless it's one sentence, things inherently by the game rules happen sequentially.

608.2c The controller of the spell or ability follows its instructions in the order written. However, replacement effects may modify these actions. In some cases, later text on the card may modify the meaning of earlier text (for example, “Destroy target creature. It can’t be regenerated” or “Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it on top of its owner’s library instead of into its owner’s graveyard.”) Don’t just apply effects step by step without thinking in these cases—read the whole text and apply the rules of English to the text.

608.2e Some spells and abilities have multiple steps or actions, denoted by separate sentences or clauses, that involve multiple players. In these cases, the choices for the first action are made in APNAP order, and then the first action is processed simultaneously. Then the choices for the second action are made in APNAP order, and then that action is processed simultaneously, and so on. See rule 101.4.

If the tokens were to be created simultaneously then the card would have to be worded along the lines of:

"Choose one or two opponents. If one opponent is chosen, you each create an X/X and X 1/1s. If two opponents are chosen, you create an X/X and X 1/1s, one of the chosen opponents creates an X/X and the other creates X 1/1s".

It being different sentences inherently represents different instances - a card that said

"Create a 1/1. Create a 1/1. Create a 1/1." is different than "Create 3 1/1s".

(Note that this comes up more for things that replace/trigger off each instance of life gain or damage, eg Fiery Confluence,

code:
Choose three. You may choose the same mode more than once.

• Fiery Confluence deals 1 damage to each creature.

• Fiery Confluence deals 2 damage to each opponent.

• Destroy target artifact.
Has the clarification on Gatherer:
"If the first or second modes are chosen multiple times, each of those modes represents a separate damage-dealing event. For example, if your opponent casts Fiery Confluence choosing the second mode three times, and you control Guardian Seraph (a creature with the ability "If a source an opponent controls would deal damage to you, prevent 1 of that damage"), you'll be dealt a total of 3 damage.")

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 1, 2024

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I believe the cards are Sylvan Offering and Esix, Fractal Bloom. In the case, Esix replaces the X/X.

In term of the rules, there's no difference between "do x, then do y." and "do x. do y." You still do x and y in order.

In general, if they happen in entirely separate clauses, then they are separate events for the purposes of Esix. Wurmcoil engine, eg, creates 2 tokens at once so they would both get replaced.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A fun instance of abusing copy effects is play avenger of zendikar then with its ETB on the stack play mystic reflection, targeting avenger of zendikar.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

A fun instance of abusing copy effects is play avenger of zendikar then with its ETB on the stack play mystic reflection, targeting avenger of zendikar.

That's fine, but consider playing AoZ and then playing mystic reflection/having esix in play and copying Academy Manufactor or Nyxbloom Ancient

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Many thanks, we came to the same conclusion (and found the same rule iirc) but we are neither english speakers nor particularly experienced with interpreting mtg rules to this detail, so i figured its best to double check here.
Also we found conflicting information online, e.g. one source claiming that both token types gets created at the same time when the card resolves, since there is no «then» statement.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ineptitude posted:

Many thanks, we came to the same conclusion (and found the same rule iirc) but we are neither english speakers nor particularly experienced with interpreting mtg rules to this detail, so i figured its best to double check here.
Also we found conflicting information online, e.g. one source claiming that both token types gets created at the same time when the card resolves, since there is no «then» statement.

It's ok dude, most native English speakers barely understand how to interpret the words on magic cards so you're already in another league

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I'm going to MagicCon Chicago at the end of the month! Anyone else here going? I would certainly appreciate "knowing" people to hang out and play games with while I'm there.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I'm going to be out of town. this event would also probably give me anxiety anyway because of too many awful people I've played with.

also kind of funny that i had a weird anxiety attack yesterday because jesse from tolarian community college was in the place i worked and i spent the entire time going "is that her? it can't be her."

Party Miser fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 1, 2024

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's fine, but consider playing AoZ and then playing mystic reflection/having esix in play and copying Witty Roastmaster

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Khanstant posted:

All my commander decks end up being like over a thousand dollars if you count all the cards at arbitrarily high single prices but I'm not gonna build a deck without true duals at least. Even with proxy freedom though it's not like those expensive staples make the deck magically powerful. The Most Dangerous Gamer isn't really that dangerous whether you've got a thousand dollar manabase or a fifty dollar deck.

yeah, staple/price level stuff are just more easily gameable heuristics, and are especially misleading where lands are concerned

you can build some *very* oppressive and inexpensive monocolored decks using basic-oriented manabases - adding fast mana makes them *better* but properly constructed light-paws/slicer/skithyrix/etc. are still going to roll the vast majority of decks (and also often passes other broad measures of “fairness” like “no infinite combos”, “aims to win via combat damage,” etc.)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

WerrWaaa posted:

I'm going to MagicCon Chicago at the end of the month! Anyone else here going? I would certainly appreciate "knowing" people to hang out and play games with while I'm there.

I'm hoping my partner's schedule allows me to go for one day since we're visiting from out of town!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

WerrWaaa posted:

I’ll be there, with a meet & greet on Sunday - be sure to say hi!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

LGD posted:

also often passes other broad measures of “fairness” like “no infinite combos”, “aims to win via combat damage,” etc

I really wish there was a way to exclude decks with infinite combos on moxfall because winning with an infinite is such a phyrric victory. Is also sucks to finally find an interesting deck only to discover its wincons are nothing but combos.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ineptitude posted:

winning with an infinite is such a phyrric victory.

:wrong:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

For the people I play with, I usually make my decks so that there are one or two infinite combos, but they take some setup and can be disrupted. Otherwise, it’s hard to actually win sometimes (despite having a good mana, card and board advangage) because the board gets clogged up so much.

last time I won with eternal witness, otawara, time warp and wrenn and six, having just discovered the combo on the spot for instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I was organizing some cards, and found some more commanders that I really want to build around now.

How many ways are there to give Heartless Hidetsugo lifelink, really?

Also I never got to play Varolz the Scar-Striped in a 60 card deck with Death's Shadow back when that was nearly viable, but how would he do as a commander? How many green or black cards are there with a power way higher than their mana cost? What are some good creatures that wouldn't mind gaining like 8 +1/+1 counters for 3 mana? or 5 for 2?

I have a Mana Echoes and Shared Animosity and a few other good goblin cards, Krenko seems busted as hell.

We may never know the answer to these questions because I have to finish organizing before I can try any of this out.

For infinite combos, I usually include 1, but only as a backup in case someone else stalls out the game, just so I can be sure that SOMEONE can end the game. It's not usually the primary wincon and I don't usually have many tutors for it.