Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

given how underanimated the models are in original p3 i unironically think the vn style is an improvement.
Disagree entirely. The VN format really messes with alot of scenes and just makes them look like poo poo since even just having ps2 models walk around and talking in scenes can add a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The scenes where the models make a difference are Shinji's death, Junpei's second awakening, uhhhhhh, Junpei's Believe it or Don't, I guess... that's all I got, they are extremely static. They legitimately could have just put a lowres png in the background with blurry versions of the characters and you'd get the same experience

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

The scenes where the models make a difference are Shinji's death, Junpei's second awakening, uhhhhhh, Junpei's Believe it or Don't, I guess... that's all I got, they are extremely static. They legitimately could have just put a lowres png in the background with blurry versions of the characters and you'd get the same experience

I think everything involving Nyx at the end comes off a lot poorer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I think everything involving Nyx at the end comes off a lot poorer.

The bit where they're in space or whatever after the fight I'll give you

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ikutsuki's betrayal and Mitsuru's father's death should have been impactful, but the game limitations left me kinda meh at that scene.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oh hell yeah

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
We will get the Kotone route when girls and gay men finally be the dominant gamer demographic (when straight men got drafted to the war).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do think a lot more girls played P5 considering how dominant the Joker/Akechi pairing is in fanart/fanfics, but maybe it’s not enough yet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I do think a lot more girls played P5 considering how dominant the Joker/Akechi pairing is in fanart/fanfics, but maybe it’s not enough yet.

I'm not gonna compare all of them but just trying out a few obvious combinations, Yu/Yosuke is way, way more popular than any other ship I can think of from P4. In fact, the other Yu/Party member ships barely have anything. After Yu/Yosuke, it was all about the party member/other party member ships. Of the ones I tried, Yu/Yosuke was in first with 1,700 stories, Kanji/Naoto was in 2nd with a little over 600 stories, and Chie/Yukiko was in 3rd with a little over 500 stories.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We should've let Nyx win.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bro gave it a 9/10 and the "It's not Persona 5" seems like a clear joke

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does Fuuka share the MC's level like before or does she level up on her own time like Rise and Futaba did?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

Bro gave it a 9/10 and the "It's not Persona 5" seems like a clear joke

honestly in certain contexts i get what 'its not persona 5 means.' a lot of the visual and qol changes are clearly trying to ape p5 but the story is still base p3 so its a weird mix

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

honestly in certain contexts i get what 'its not persona 5 means.' a lot of the visual and qol changes are clearly trying to ape p5 but the story is still base p3 so its a weird mix

Yeah, one person I know who's played it likened it to how Yakuza Kiwami's new content trying to evoke Yakuza 0 clashes a lot with the original game's. I doubt it's as jarring as that instance, but the same feeling is definitely gonna be there.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Imo they made the SEES team too cool. They give off ragtag team with too much money in the OG game which is cute and charming

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Imo they made the SEES team too cool. They give off ragtag team with too much money in the OG game which is cute and charming

it always seemed like mitsuru and ikutsuki spent the entire sees budget on security cameras and a cool motorcycle and what was left was arts and crafts store armbands and i dunno you guys can buy your own weapons

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

cock hero flux posted:

it always seemed like mitsuru and ikutsuki spent the entire sees budget on security cameras and a cool motorcycle and what was left was arts and crafts store armbands and i dunno you guys can buy your own weapons
The Kirijo Group and their overall behavior is something you don't want to look at or think about too long with this game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I liked the part where Mitsuru goes into Junpei’s room and go ‘drat Iori, you live like this?!’

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

I liked the part where Mitsuru goes into Junpei’s room and go ‘drat Iori, you live like this?!’

Specifically she calls the cops to report a break-in because his room is so messy she thought burglars had rifled through it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Probably? P5R got a ton more QoL and updated gameplay so more players overall were attracted to the game now it's PC too. Sadly, I still say it's mostly eclipsed by the constant waifu wars as seen in other places :v:

I feel like yeah the main pairing is def JokerxAkechi but I'm friends with a Discord owner and he still finds quite a lot of P4 fanart even though it's been ages since Golden was out too. Also, I returned to Tumblr after like an 8-year hiatus mostly it's been just P5R and maybe some P3R fanart due to the remake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is entirely likely a good number of people discussing Persona were not born when Persona 4 came out.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
are you trying to make people ITT feel old

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was watching prerelease info for P4 as a junior in highschool. :mad:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sloober posted:

are you trying to make people ITT feel old

Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell.

ill have u know i was blasting aliens in Save New York in 1986 on my Commodore 64 and i dont have to take this age slander

also looking forward to release here, been a while

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Playing early due to the 'change location to New Zealand' trick and I am hella happy so far.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Anyone playing on merciless? How is it? It doesn’t do the p5r thing where it’s actually way easier then hard right?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is there no way to get the p4 preorder dlc playing the gamepass version?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

So is borderless windowed hosed up for anyone else with the steam version of P3R? It's making the game scale weird and it looks like poo poo lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wouldn't surprise me, recent Atlus releases have had awful implementations of Borderless Windowed. Let me click over to my second monitor without freezing and minimizing the entire game, please!

Arist fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 2, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Played a tiny bit of P3R. New music slaps, I don't care what anyone says.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I probably won't actually play this for a while since yakuza 8 is apparently like an 80 hour game and then FF7R takes precedence and then d dogma 2 takes precedence and so on, but I did listen to most of the OST today. The bad songs everyone called out are definitely still bad, but fortunately they are more like exceptions to the general rule. Overall p deece 7.1/10

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
My brain is broken and when I got to the dorm room in P3R and it had a prompt for if you own DLC it will be here I just lost all desire to play P3R. I don't want to play anymore because I don't have the all DLC and I can't just buy the DLC because one of them was preorder only. I really hope they just sell it someday. Guess I'm waiting. Yes I'm aware of how insane a thing to do this is.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
pfft can't change off one handed swords for the MC, it's already a step backward from the original

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like something is weird about the game's brightness, at least on the OLED TV. On default it's very obviously washed out and too bright. I currently have it set to two ticks below the default, but it still seems a bit off. Like it's not handling HDR correctly or something.

On the upside, some of the OST tracks sound better when in-game for some reason.

Edit: I feel like the Twilight fragment cost for healing your SP basically creates a hard limit in Tartarus that didn't exist in other versions (where IIRC you could spend money on it). They seem rare enough in Tartarus that you can't reasonably farm enough to heal there. I haven't come across a single one in the first 11 floors, and I think you need 7 to heal.

Ceramics posted:

Anyone playing on merciless? How is it? It doesn’t do the p5r thing where it’s actually way easier then hard right?

While it's too early to get a good feel for things, I think Merciless doesn't enhance your weakness damage like in P5R (which implies it will actually be harder)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 2, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

My brain is broken and when I got to the dorm room in P3R and it had a prompt for if you own DLC it will be here I just lost all desire to play P3R. I don't want to play anymore because I don't have the all DLC and I can't just buy the DLC because one of them was preorder only. I really hope they just sell it someday. Guess I'm waiting. Yes I'm aware of how insane a thing to do this is.

isn't this just like, the persona 4 background music replacement or something

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like something is weird about the game's brightness, at least on the OLED TV. On default it's very obviously washed out and too bright. I currently have it set to two ticks below the default, but it still seems a bit off. Like it's not handling HDR correctly or something.

On the upside, some of the OST tracks sound better when in-game for some reason.

In particular the school gate area looks completely washed out and sun bleached to me.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

cock hero flux posted:

isn't this just like, the persona 4 background music replacement or something

Yeah. I know how stupid of a hill this is to die on.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

Is there a purpose to the rewind function as opposed to just loading a save?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Got up to beating the 2nd Tartarus boss on merciless, game is ftw so far. I even like the tracks that I initially wasn't a fan of more in the context of it being in game bgm.