Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

This is a weird rear end room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
loss.jpg?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I just got hit for 75 damage from an orb spider. I forgot my boots had Harm, but still...

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Vadun posted:

This is a weird rear end room

reminds me of the spell I pitched on the roguelikes discord in #dcss - Grover's Ramshackle Ramparts, temporary movement-blocking terrain that disperses over time

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I’m sure as hell not going to pull my weight between work and family, but 0.31 tourney starts tomorrow if anyone want to form a goon team and knock off a few points

Not sure why but I'm not appearing on the team list, I have you in my rcfile :(
https://crawl.develz.org/tournament/0.31/players/stoats.html

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i haven't heard back about getting my CAO password reset, and i just got armored core 6 for my birthday, so uhhhh if anybody wants to take my spot in the first squad, it's all yours! take me off the roster and make room for somebody else, please!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What's everyone feelings on square LoS, in hindsight?

I know it's technically correct and was looking forward to it when being discussed, but it looks so dang weird in that screenshot. I've been playing a lot of Cogmind which is very consistent about using round AoE's in a square world, but it works a lot better there (maybe due to larger ranges, and often more straight corridors?) and I couldn't imagine having square radar ranges in that game.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

hosed up my wrist playing hockey. Maybe this will cause me to slow down and approach Crawl as something other than slamming tab-o at a million miles an hour

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
If a spot is open on SummonAwfulThings I'll happily take it. Nobody asked to join my overflow clan and we're close the Jan 26 clan freeze.

Player name is "offering".

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

tote up a bags posted:

Not sure why but I'm not appearing on the team list, I have you in my rcfile :(
https://crawl.develz.org/tournament/0.31/players/stoats.html

I had it as

code:
# TEAMNAME SummonAwfulThings
# TEAMMEMBERS Tommu Vadun Stoats epsilonplus puppykicker
I'll try
code:
stoats
in case its case-sensitive?

perfluorosapien posted:

If a spot is open on SummonAwfulThings I'll happily take it. Nobody asked to join my overflow clan and we're close the Jan 26 clan freeze.

We're full at the moment -- I should really roll a new character after raging out over tabbing my stupid overpowered minotaur to death with a million options at 2AM

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

quote:

The server has been scaled up ahead of the 0.31 tournament which should start around Jan 19th.
This will be the last tournament to take place on CKO - the server will be permanently retired some time after the tournament is concluded.
Thank you everyone for playing, and thank you to all the donors who kept the bills paid for all this time.
Is this the only online server that has the gooncrawl branch up?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I had it as

code:
# TEAMNAME SummonAwfulThings
# TEAMMEMBERS Tommu Vadun Stoats epsilonplus puppykicker
I'll try
code:
stoats
in case its case-sensitive?

We're full at the moment -- I should really roll a new character after raging out over tabbing my stupid overpowered minotaur to death with a million options at 2AM

Still no luck - might be a problem with LLD. Feel free to swap me out

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Serephina posted:

What's everyone feelings on square LoS, in hindsight?

I know it's technically correct and was looking forward to it when being discussed, but it looks so dang weird in that screenshot. I've been playing a lot of Cogmind which is very consistent about using round AoE's in a square world, but it works a lot better there (maybe due to larger ranges, and often more straight corridors?) and I couldn't imagine having square radar ranges in that game.

wait, are they reverting back to circular LoS after they changed that years ago?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

perfluorosapien posted:

Ok, I added you in stoat's spot, sorry about that stoats.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

No worries! Bring home some wins!

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Thanks! Updated my crawlrc.

Trying to decide if my 3-rune TeAE should become my first hells attempt of 0.31 or just try to lock in a win.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

redneck nazgul posted:

wait, are they reverting back to circular LoS after they changed that years ago?

Nono, just me not having actually fired up DCSS in ages and noticing in that sceenshot how it's the only game I can think of that's adopted square LOS.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Chickened out and took the ascension with 7 runes.

Hell is very scary these days. I'm not sure what capability I was waiting for. This TeAE had pretty much everything.

I think I got psyched out after a Demonspawn Warmonger landed two 60 dmg crossbow hits on consecutive turns, reducing me to 40 hp on the outskirts of Cerebov's realm. Stuff like that and hurled damnation were the real threats. MCC trivialized Cerebov and Lom Lobon after he chased me down.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/offering/morgue-offering-20240127-143655.txt

perfluorosapien fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 27, 2024

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
On D2 as MfIE:
You find the +9 dagger of Attainder {flame, rElec, RC+, Will+, Str+3}

Clearly god wants me to win this one. Or serve as an example of how He punishes hubris. One or the other.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
On D8, same game:
You find the +8 pair of quick blades "Gyre" and "Gimble"

It's trying very hard to tempt me into a stabber build, but in all my years of crawl I've never ascended that way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Less stab, more cuisinart? Short blades can tab you through a 3-rune with no problem, if you get a lightning-enchanted thingie for the bone dragons and other AC fatties.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

played a bit of the most recent version. i really like what was done with transmuters since i last checked in. having forms be the toggle-able effect of an item with an infinite duration, instead of a series of finite-duration spells that pull from different schools, means that a shapeshifter now has the freedom to get good at other skills in the process of getting their forms online. much less of a feast-or-famine class, where you go from "indestructible" to "a fragile caster without any blasting capabilities" in a few AUT. the radioactive form fills a very nice niche (blade hands that isn't quite as powerful, but allows equipment use like its big brother). was able to get comfortably ahead of the damage curve before i lost the character to a careless play in Snake:4.

still not a huge fan of what the game has turned into. a lot of flavorful items/abilities/enemies pruned because they didn't have serve some chess piece-like Utility™ in the course of play; a lot of tools/gods/strategies nerfed to thwart some hypothetical hyper-optimal player -- or even just a play style some dev finds personally annoying -- with no regard for their knockdown effects on the rest of the playerbase, or the odds of getting an already underpowered class/race online before Lair. beyond a certain point, preferentially nerfing strategies that produce reliable results doesn't force players to "think on their toes and experiment," it turns your game into video slots. there's still a point on the power curve, usually around time to take on the Lair branches, where the player has accumulated enough stats and resources that dying is their fault. before reaching that point, it increasingly feels like all bets are off.

i won't pretend to have any insight into the decision-making/consensus-forming process of the devs over the last decade, but it really does feel like a lot of "vibes-based" changes with (often contradictory) post-hoc justifications. if this was about removing "degenerate, boring" strategies, Trog worshippers wouldn't have stuck around so much longer than ranged centaur kiters -- and i say this as somebody who would much rather play a meathead O-tabber than a ranged class, so i don't even have a horse in that race.

Zodar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 27, 2024

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
So gooncrawl is dead - are there any similar forks that have kept up with the main updates while removing or changing all the dumb things (like mob respanws, removing entire races/dungeon branches)

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Matty posted:

So gooncrawl is dead - are there any similar forks that have kept up with the main updates while removing or changing all the dumb things (like mob respanws, removing entire races/dungeon branches)

Where in crawl do mobs respawn?

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
With 3 runes in hand I really thought this GrEE would make it.

Crypt 3 was going great. I pulled off essentially a bank robbery, walking up to the exterior wall of the vault and shattering my way through it. Boris and his SWAT team rolled straight into a tommy gun ambush. I was picking through the loot and thinking about how to manage my spell set, when Jory walked up and blew me up with an LCS shot. If I had stopped to check his spell list I probably would have been OK, but I assumed I had already handled all of the dangerous stuff and wasted a bunch of turns letting my LCS servitor handle him. The motivation for wasting turns was conserving Sif Muna piety (this was incredibly dumb).

Sadly I won't have more big chunks of time this week to try to put another win on the board.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/offering/morgue-offering-20240129-143341.txt

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Where in crawl do mobs respawn?

wasn't it a thing many versions ago where mons would respawn, and eventually OOD mobs would appear?

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
Yeah monsters respawn was removed in version 0.21 back in 2018

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Is there any chance that any of the folks who run the .31 crawl tourney read this?

I very stupidly redid my .rc file a couple of days ago, after playing in the tournament for a few games and must have missed adding my teamcaptain line in.

I just chalked up a win, and realized that I'm a dumbass and missed adding that in.

This must have happened to someone else before, I'm hoping that there may be someone out there that can fix it for me?

We also lost all of our other tourney progress so far, like the clan evaporated. :(

I mostly feel bad for screwing it up for my other friends.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I just had the weirdest thing happen and I can't figure it out. I was in a sewer as a spriggan, no god yet, and I was lethally poisoned. I just started using all my consumables even though I know I didnt have curing or heal wounds, which ended up being attraction, mutation (clarity and str+4/int&dex-1 mutations), fear, teleport, torment, brand weapon and butterflies. The teleport went off at 1 hp and when I landed it just said I was no longer poisoned. Does poison not kill you outside of monster vision now? Did the game bug out? Is lethal poisoning not lethal 100% of the time?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mortimer Knag posted:

I just had the weirdest thing happen and I can't figure it out. I was in a sewer as a spriggan, no god yet, and I was lethally poisoned. I just started using all my consumables even though I know I didnt have curing or heal wounds, which ended up being attraction, mutation (clarity and str+4/int&dex-1 mutations), fear, teleport, torment, brand weapon and butterflies. The teleport went off at 1 hp and when I landed it just said I was no longer poisoned. Does poison not kill you outside of monster vision now? Did the game bug out? Is lethal poisoning not lethal 100% of the time?

whether the game considers poison lethal or not seems to ignore your regen rate. I think it's just the game going "poison will do X damage, you have <X hp, therefore dead" because there have been a lot of occasions where I just mashed wait through lethal poison and lived with 1-2 hp

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

whether the game considers poison lethal or not seems to ignore your regen rate. I think it's just the game going "poison will do X damage, you have <X hp, therefore dead" because there have been a lot of occasions where I just mashed wait through lethal poison and lived with 1-2 hp

Wow ok, good to know. I don't ever remember getting that lucky before, and then I walked out of it with clarity, so, I'm sure to die any second now to something avoidable

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Would a formicid necromancer be a really terrible idea? I love to play hybrids. Had a great time with a formicid EE of chei who could wear plate, smack fools with a great mace and spam shatter.

Matty fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 31, 2024

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Matty posted:

Would a formicid necromancer be a really terrible idea? I love to play hybrids. Had a great time with a formicid EE of chei who could wear plate, smack fools with a great mace and spam shatter.

I don't see why it wouldn't be good if you like formicids. Necros are great hybrids and have a ton of utility, and having a few zombos to put between you and the enemy can give you a chance to shaft or just run without eating a bunch of opportunity attacks. Necrotise, fugue, vamp draining, dispell undead and animate dead are all low level yet still really good for hybrids, plus everything higher level necro spells offer.

E: and someone was just telling me martyrs knell is great too, but I personally haven't gotten much use out of it.

Double e: fugue is amazing for hybrids especially, once you hit +7 slaying with it you start doing AOE damage and it lasts a decent amount of time.
And cigotuvis rot is one of the only reliable ways to make space between you and the enemy so if you have to run you don't just die from opportunity attacks

TRIPLE edit: I think formicids still block the paralysis from casting revivification during deaths door too! Not like that'll come up in a normal short game though.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2024

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is statuepode now viable again? I see they added something called talismans replacing transmutation spells?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Is statuepode now viable again? I see they added something called talismans replacing transmutation spells?

i got my second 15-rune win with a shifterpode. talismans tend to meld a bunch of your equipment but they never meld rings, so why not pick the species that wears eight of them?

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Did something new and exciting today: killed the Royal Jelly as as GrEE with Maxwell's Capacitative Coupling via Sif Muna's Divine Exegesis. Not totally satisfied with this approach as I had to spend a blinking scroll and spend many turns picking apart the spawns.

EightFlyingCars posted:

i got my second 15-rune win with a shifterpode. talismans tend to meld a bunch of your equipment but they never meld rings, so why not pick the species that wears eight of them?

Nice! I want to try this sometime. Octopode is the species I've attempted most without ever ascending.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

perfluorosapien posted:

Did something new and exciting today: killed the Royal Jelly as as GrEE with Maxwell's Capacitative Coupling via Sif Muna's Divine Exegesis. Not totally satisfied with this approach as I had to spend a blinking scroll and spend many turns picking apart the spawns.

Nice! I want to try this sometime. Octopode is the species I've attempted most without ever ascending.

now's your chance, it's really strong. here's what i ended up with! http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Tommu/morgue-Tommu-20230722-185651.txt

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
This is BS. It would be easy to wrap a scarf around an octopus.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Grabbed the slick slippers from an armour trove (the best kind, especially when traded for piety)

Is the gimmick that, since you move after being hit, you are unlikely to ever be hit by more than one melee attack in any given turn? What about monsters that attack multiple times per turn? Do they attack, move you and follow, and keep attacking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

parthenocarpy posted:

Grabbed the slick slippers from an armour trove (the best kind, especially when traded for piety)

Is the gimmick that, since you move after being hit, you are unlikely to ever be hit by more than one melee attack in any given turn? What about monsters that attack multiple times per turn? Do they attack, move you and follow, and keep attacking?

In my experience the gimmick is that I get knocked off the upstairs and die