Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/comicbook/status/1753128782154645554?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

I do think that anyone who was involved in the Fantastic Beast films has Rowling's TERF stink all over them, doubly so for Eddie Redmayne.

Katherine Waterson got written out of the last one for being anti-TERF.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Rupert Grint has joined the M.Night repertoire company.

He was really good in Servant as a Kieran Culkin type

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

muscles like this! posted:

Katherine Waterson got written out of the last one for being anti-TERF.

Which means anyone who stayed behind stinks even more.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I think I get it now.

You're allowed to say whatever you want, even if it's hateful. That's free speech.

But if you call out someone for saying something hateful that's using your free speech to censor someone. If you also stop giving them money or working for/with them that's also cancelling and deplatforming. And if you convince others to do the same you're taking away their livelihood.

So if someone does the second thing above you can literally fire them and take away their parts.

But not the first thing above.

Got it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think HBO is hoping the new Harry Potter show is successful enough that they don't need any of the original core three to keep the franchise moving. I don't know if that's possible, because the movies are loved, remaking them as a show with kids who are going to age faster than you're likely going to able to make a show seems like a big gamble, but it's the only move they've got for Harry Potter now.

Besides just sitting on it, but lol c'mon now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is the harry potter show just going to be an adaptation of the books again? that kind of seems like a dumb idea

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

mystes posted:

Is the harry potter show just going to be an adaptation of the books again? that kind of seems like a dumb idea

They're marketing it as a "faithful adaptation of the books". So they're gonna put every single detail from the books in there they left out last time in order to make the movies watchable (the ones that were, I mean. Not those first two).

Get ready for a poo poo ton of Quidditch.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I think HBO is hoping the new Harry Potter show is successful enough that they don't need any of the original core three to keep the franchise moving. I don't know if that's possible, because the movies are loved, remaking them as a show with kids who are going to age faster than you're likely going to able to make a show seems like a big gamble, but it's the only move they've got for Harry Potter now.

Besides just sitting on it, but lol c'mon now.

Given how modern TV Shows seem to make a season every year I don't see how it's possible for the kids not to age out of the roles really fast. Also there's no way they will be able to cast as strongly for the adult characters this time around. What's odd about the entire endeavor is that the iconography of the franchise is so strongly embedded in merchandise and the brand identity at this point that Hogwarts will basically look the same, and all the creatures and magical items will look the same as the films.

mystes posted:

At least Hermione will be black this time and Dumbledore will be played by a gay actor.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

mystes posted:

Its supposed to be that plus some of the other lore Rowling has written after the fact, like making Dumbledore more gay, establishing some parental relationships, and removing any references to Transfigurations class.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, and I repeat: "HBO No."

It's a real shame. For a very long time the channel was at the forefront of queer productions, with productions like Angels In America, Oz, Six Feet Under, and more recent material like Someone Somewhere, Betty, Sort Of, Out Flag Means Death meaning that it was still the competing frontrunner with FX (thanks to gay terrorist Ryan Murphy). A lot of that's gone away now, which is sad, because there's something to be said for stories that aren't integrated, that talk about queer spaces or centralise queer narratives outside of Pride Month and away from noted precarious spaces for queer creatives like Amazon and Disney.

But to me, more than the cancellations (which are a constant facet of the TV landscape) these multiple deals with Rowling indicate, at best, the open expectation that future minority productions should exist side by side with Queen poo poo Of TERF Island. And it's dispiriting to see that seachange happen.

swickles posted:

Its supposed to be that plus some of the other lore Rowling has written after the fact, like making Dumbledore more gay, establishing some parental relationships, and removing any references to Transfigurations class.

lol

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

swickles posted:

I'm sure in the TV canon Moaning Myrtle will be killed by Tom Riddle himself instead of the Basilisk and he'll be using pollyjuice potion to pass as a girl and get into the girls bathroom.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Given how modern TV Shows seem to make a season every year I don't see how it's possible for the kids not to age out of the roles really fast. Also there's no way they will be able to cast as strongly for the adult characters this time around. What's odd about the entire endeavor is that the iconography of the franchise is so strongly embedded in merchandise and the brand identity at this point that Hogwarts will basically look the same, and all the creatures and magical items will look the same as the films.

At least Hermione will be black this time and Dumbledore will be played by a gay actor.

This is another problem. I don't see how you can possibly approach as good of casting as Alan Rickman, Richard Harris/Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith, Gary Oldman, Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson, etc. And I could go on. That's a murderer's row of a cast, and anyone you get for the TV show is going to be compared to them.

Have they said Hermione is going to be black in the show, or are you just assuming? I thought her skin color was never mentioned in the books, so it didn't matter either way when she was black in Cursed Child (which I never saw or read, but the descriptions of it sound wild).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 2, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I pity the poor kids they cast in this, they'll be going through therapists like it's an Olympic sport.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Despite what Rowling said there are multiple references to her being white in the book.

An adaptation of the play would be worth it just so we could get the "please don't say I was time cucked by Voldemort" scenes

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

This is another problem. I don't see how you can possibly approach as good of casting as Alan Rickman, Richard Harris/Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith, Gary Oldman, Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson, etc. And I could go on. That's a murderer's row of a cast, and anyone you get for the TV show is going to be compared to them.

Have they said Hermione is going to be black in the show, or are you just assuming? I thought her skin color was never mentioned in the books, so it didn't matter either way when she was black in Cursed Child (which I never saw or read, but the descriptions of it sound wild).

Hermione is 100% white in the books. She is described as white, and lets be honest, is written as white.

However Rowling has said in recent years that she was always intended to be black, so the TV show will certainly follow that path.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ok I actually liked this lol. What's the world coming to

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The real question about Hermione is how she wasn't sorted into Ravenclaw?

Gryffindor my heinie

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

BonoMan posted:

ok I actually liked this lol. What's the world coming to

Who is the woman telling PS he can't throw a child / what movie is she from?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

The real question about Hermione is how she wasn't sorted into Ravenclaw?

Gryffindor my heiney
because she's the self-insert character obviously

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bright Bart posted:

Who is the woman telling PS he can't throw a child / what movie is she from?

That's Drew Barrymore - she's from lots of movies, but her talk show is on P+ I guess?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

I think I get it now.

You're allowed to say whatever you want, even if it's hateful. That's free speech.

But if you call out someone for saying something hateful that's using your free speech to censor someone. If you also stop giving them money or working for/with them that's also cancelling and deplatforming. And if you convince others to do the same you're taking away their livelihood.

So if someone does the second thing above you can literally fire them and take away their parts.

But not the first thing above.

Got it.

Also "saying" and "opinion" in Rowlings case is using your money to fund Trans hate groups.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Bright Bart posted:

Is there any ginger male actor that has had success taking up lead roles? I mean consistantly not just as a one-off and not just playing an outcast/weirdo.

Benedict Cumberbatch is a ginner and doing well.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Maybe you lot don't know what a ginger considers to be a ginger.

Like, none of these people would be thrown out of the clubhouse by ghost-white, freckled bouncers. But they wouldn't ever be the keynote speakers.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1753495419928117470?s=20

Tony Goldwyn will be the new DA.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Carl Weathers Dies: ‘Rocky’ & ‘Predator’ Star Who Appeared In ‘Happy Gilmore’, ‘The Mandalorian’ & More Was 76

:smith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 2, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh, poo poo

rip tobias' acting coach :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't throw his body out. You throw in a potato, an onion and some carrots, baby you've got a stew going.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat, end of an era.

Goren's dead brother is a pretty good replacement imho

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I can't say I'm shocked. The man is 83 years old and his voice has been getting steadily weaker ever since he was brought back for the revival, it's just sad now.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, and I repeat: "HBO No."

It's a real shame. For a very long time the channel was at the forefront of queer productions, with productions like Angels In America, Oz, Six Feet Under, and more recent material like Someone Somewhere, Betty, Sort Of, Out Flag Means Death meaning that it was still the competing frontrunner with FX (thanks to gay terrorist Ryan Murphy). A lot of that's gone away now, which is sad, because there's something to be said for stories that aren't integrated, that talk about queer spaces or centralise queer narratives outside of Pride Month and away from noted precarious spaces for queer creatives like Amazon and Disney.

But to me, more than the cancellations (which are a constant facet of the TV landscape) these multiple deals with Rowling indicate, at best, the open expectation that future minority productions should exist side by side with Queen poo poo Of TERF Island. And it's dispiriting to see that seachange happen.

lol

I think Oz was a great show, but was it really queer-positive?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/GrantBrisbee/status/1753509011343949951?t=8oiZI24tLTe6FkAuA9Eejg&s=19

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Master Chief would have easily whipped Arnold right over the mountain.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Random question - I remember hearing a story about a sitcom from the 90's, possibly 80's, that got cancelled during production of it's third season. But they were still contracted to finish producing the season anyway, so the producers/writers decided to do a whole bunch of weird poo poo with the episodes of that season - does anyone remember what show this was?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rappaport posted:

I think Oz was a great show, but was it really queer-positive?

That wasn't my original argument but tbh sure, in that it was a significant show with a bi male lead. That was ground breaking in and of itself, but you also have a number of queer supporting cast members and stories that frequently acknowledged situational sexuality among men. You ended up with a show that depicted a wide ranging set of experiences among same sex attracted men. I'd say all of that was a net positive and still fundamentally progressive.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Random question - I remember hearing a story about a sitcom from the 90's, possibly 80's, that got cancelled during production of it's third season. But they were still contracted to finish producing the season anyway, so the producers/writers decided to do a whole bunch of weird poo poo with the episodes of that season - does anyone remember what show this was?

There was one in 00s called 'Til Death
https://www.avclub.com/nobodys-watching-the-strange-genius-of-the-fourth-seas-1798220591

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

Might not be what you're looking for, but it sounds the Australian soap opera Chances.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

That wasn't my original argument but tbh sure, in that it was a significant show with a bi male lead. That was ground breaking in and of itself, but you also have a number of queer supporting cast members and stories that frequently acknowledged situational sexuality among men. You ended up with a show that depicted a wide ranging set of experiences among same sex attracted men. I'd say all of that was a net positive and still fundamentally progressive.

Who was the male lead?

Even if we discount the child-mutilation bits of Beecher's story-line, it was very much played as a wretched story of rape by Schillinger and the threat of Adebisi doing the same. And Beecher literally took a poo poo on someone, because they were violated and disturbed.

Beecher also had a sordid love affair with Elliot of SVU, and that went sour fast too, since it was a nazi ploy.

That show had a lot to say, for sure, but it definitely meant among other things to say that male on male sexual intercourse was bad (rape) or lead to horrible things (Beecher and Elliot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

This sounds like it, thanks!