Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm playing Melvor Idle right now, but does anyone have any other recommendation for good idle RPG games for mobile? I don't mind paying to play so long as it is good. I adored Magical Research but I beat it so now it's over.

I'm kind of falling off of IFVP, it just doesn't really grab me visually or gameplay wise.

I see people talking about Ironwood here but it kind of seems like another version of Melvor, is that inaccurate?

Your Chronicle is on mobile as well. Its been discussed in the thread in the past more extensively. I really liked it!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SamuraiGames.YourChronicle&hl=en_US&gl=US
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/your-chronicle/id1608143731
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1546320/Your_Chronicle/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Does anyone remember the name of that idle game that was about coding a series of movements in a 2d grid to gradually build up proficiencies and mine "time nodes" to extend the length of each loop? I'm curious to go back to it and see if it got expanded.

V lmao yes it was Cavernous, thank you!

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 29, 2024

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RoboCicero posted:

Does anyone remember the name of that idle game that was about coding a series of movements in a 2d grid to gradually build up proficiencies and mine "time nodes" to extend the length of each loop? I'm curious to go back to it and see if it got expanded.

https://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/comments/115dfw6/collection_of_time_loop_incrementals/

Here's a list of a million ones in that genre

I think you're describing Cavernous

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've unlocked the fourth biome in Factory Town Idle and I kinda like this. This some real numbermancy poo poo.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Crell posted:

I beat ironwood I guess

code:
Version v0.12.0
30th January 2024
Skills can now level past 100
time to come home

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I wonder how far post 100

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Thanks, I've been trying this and it's pretty good. Are there any Before I Play kind of tips for it? Like I just found out you are supposed to be Dark Ritual resetting constantly to build up inspiration way faster than letting it build to higher values.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

CuddleCryptid posted:

Thanks, I've been trying this and it's pretty good. Are there any Before I Play kind of tips for it? Like I just found out you are supposed to be Dark Ritual resetting constantly to build up inspiration way faster than letting it build to higher values.

At some point in the forest you get the opportunity to repeatedly eat bread. This will unlock a new mechanic for progression so prioritize it the moment it opens up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

At some point in the forest you get the opportunity to repeatedly eat bread. This will unlock a new mechanic for progression so prioritize it the moment it opens up.

Thanks, I think I know where I need to go for that but I'm hard capped on gold until I clear some harder dungeons.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

StupidSexyMothman posted:

code:
Version v0.12.0
30th January 2024
Skills can now level past 100
time to come home

gently caress

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Omnikin posted:

I wonder how far post 100

Crell posted:

gently caress

crell will let us know :)

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The gooboo prestiges definitely get way spaced out as you get farther up. I'm at 16 days in village, 9 days in horde and kinda don't feel any need to prestige yet. I should probably village, but I'm nowhere near faith cap, still making sacrifices, can even still build some buildings every day.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

gooboo would have benefited from content walls rather than going for the whole idle-forevergame thing before having the content for it. you kinda' have to eyeball if what you reached is reasonable content or the dangling threads of a future update

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I'm kind of glad that melvor did the free on epic thing for the base game during the advent calendar thing they were doing because I tried the free/demo version of the game twice and just totally bounced off of it. I feel like the interconnectedness of the game really doesn't come through without at least owning the base game, the skills available in the demo are simply too limiting.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I gave Melvor a good couple weeks try, bought all the expansions just 'cause, but I'm probably not gonna go back.

Seems like the first many many hours involve accumulating and manually discarding various kinds of trash, except you don't really know what is trash and not.

The "What_to_level_first" guide was eye-opening. I played mostly without it, but it was instructive to learn that a ring that gives you 6.5% faster skilling or whatever is considered a "reward".

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
The neat thing of Melvor is you can easily add mods to tailor it to your particular level of numbers-go-up mental illness. Configurable auto-sell and auto-loot helps avoid having to pick through your inventory for crap you never want.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

That what to level first guide is pretty complex, I did the same thing (leveling firemaking to 99 to get the skill cape) by a significantly easier method: swapping between trees and firemaking for four days while doing other poo poo since it's an idle game.

It's interesting that fishing was the path that was selected. It makes sense as the path to those rings but I found fishing very tedious when starting the game because it would absolutely overrun your bank slots with trash within an hour.

Lilli posted:

I'm kind of glad that melvor did the free on epic thing for the base game during the advent calendar thing they were doing because I tried the free/demo version of the game twice and just totally bounced off of it. I feel like the interconnectedness of the game really doesn't come through without at least owning the base game, the skills available in the demo are simply too limiting.

Yeah that's the only reason I'm playing it, because I was able to try it for free through Epic first.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 31, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Plenty of folks in the NGU discord goonchat went heavy on fishing and cooking early on to make money. I floated around doing things but tapped into thieving very early on and rather enjoyed doing that.

At the end of the day effectively every non-combat skill is a gathering skill, a production skill, or a passive bonusing skill. Pick a gathering skill that seems interesting, use that to fuel a related production skill, mix in some passive stuff as resources or time permit, and you’re off to the races.

And yes, Melvor is a game that ends up stacking a number of smaller bonuses together and suddenly you’re punching well above your weight in terms of cumulative and synergistic bonuses, especially with stuff like interval reduction, resource preservation and doubling chances. It’s not designed with the idle game paradigm of you hitting a new unlock and suddenly numbers are multiple exponents bigger. No worries if that’s not your particular thing, really.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One thing about Melvor that helps with a lot of that is that everything is infinite. Some items are super rare drops you have to grind for, but besides that if you are given some random ore by an enemy and end up selling it just to clear out space then more of that ore is just one screen and four seconds away.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

One thing about Melvor that helps with a lot of that is that everything is infinite. Some items are super rare drops you have to grind for, but besides that if you are given some random ore by an enemy and end up selling it just to clear out space then more of that ore is just one screen and four seconds away.

This is also true. Bank space management is definitely the biggest early game hurdle, but if you can source something with a few clicks and a little bit of idle time you don’t have to hold onto it. Fishing is tricky in that you have to deal with junk items in the early stages, but it is also source to a bunch of high value items, so it’s worth the hassle.

I also learned very early on that if I wasn’t actively going to do melee or ranged combat, I should just sell my crafted arms/armor (just hold onto any trimmed armor township gives you until you get something better). There’s no point in dedicating a half dozen bank slots to basic leather or steel armor if you’re not going to fight today, you can recraft it in about a minute when you need it. Magic armor slightly less so due to the extra runecrafting factor but you can do that too and just save any wands or staffs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I didn't even catch on that the armor upgrades were a joke about armor trimming, that's funny.

While I like the idea of magic combat a lot I found that the damage done to you during it was way too risky for most idle combat, so I keep a full set of high grade armor on hand (just rune, not drops, but still) just to farm with and to train health/prayer/defense. You can idle on combat a lot easier in it just because cloth offers gently caress all protection and it doesn't work well with the auto eat system as a result.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I started melvor on the demo and bounced arounda few things.

I got the bundle, and went into theiving simply because it was reliable money, and money was bank slots.

Ive now got my township at max, so if i need 10 bank slots, i can just buy 10 bankslots, and that makes a huge difference when branching out.

Now im gearing up for volcanic by idling dungeons and stuff.

I enjoy it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I didn't even catch on that the armor upgrades were a joke about armor trimming, that's funny.

While I like the idea of magic combat a lot I found that the damage done to you during it was way too risky for most idle combat, so I keep a full set of high grade armor on hand (just rune, not drops, but still) just to farm with and to train health/prayer/defense. You can idle on combat a lot easier in it just because cloth offers gently caress all protection and it doesn't work well with the auto eat system as a result.

The nice thing about magic armor is they get good damage reduction stats without needing upgrades. I don't think this applies to the first tier though. Damage reduction and your auto-eat threshold are the only things that actually matter for survivability (and having enough food, which mostly comes up when you start on dragons). Defense ratings only affect the chance to be hit, you could crank it up to 999,999 and still take full damage the 0.01% of the times an attack gets through.

There's also a point where spending the $10M on a gear set swap is worth more inventory space than buying an equivalent number of bank slots. There's some other tricks to gain more effective inventory slots, like stashing extra summon tabs (which don't apply to your current skill) on you, keeping ammo equipped even when not training ranged, etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Xerol posted:

The nice thing about magic armor is they get good damage reduction stats without needing upgrades. I don't think this applies to the first tier though. Damage reduction and your auto-eat threshold are the only things that actually matter for survivability (and having enough food, which mostly comes up when you start on dragons). Defense ratings only affect the chance to be hit, you could crank it up to 999,999 and still take full damage the 0.01% of the times an attack gets through.

Fair point, you might pentuple the amount of food that you eat but you do survive it if you have proper DR instead of a dice roll. I was just trying to grind out higher auto eat levels, but that does make more sense as well.

That's good to hear because Runescape's "cheat magic is balanced because runes are a pain to get" system works really well when runes are not hard to get.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 1, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
You gotta do all three combat paths once you get to the God dungeons anyways. Ugh, I don't wanna do set up for my ranged skills

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

You gotta do all three combat paths once you get to the God dungeons anyways. Ugh, I don't wanna do set up for my ranged skills

I've been putting off the final dungeon for several months because I just haven't felt like getting everything in order. So instead I'm grinding mastery till the day comes that I feel like doing it in some spare time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I maxed out all the base skills before I even started on the raids (mostly because there was no offline combat at that point)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Gooboo: One of the farming challenges is to get a x7 crop growth, but I don't really understand the math going on behind the scenes. However given it's probably exponentially longer for each additional growth, would one carrot end up taking like 6 days or something to hit x7? Given that I only have like 21% overgrow atm.

I'm just wondering whether it's worth it to give up a farm slot on a carrot and let that baby fly for however long it takes.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Agent355 posted:

Gooboo: One of the farming challenges is to get a x7 crop growth, but I don't really understand the math going on behind the scenes. However given it's probably exponentially longer for each additional growth, would one carrot end up taking like 6 days or something to hit x7? Given that I only have like 21% overgrow atm.

I'm just wondering whether it's worth it to give up a farm slot on a carrot and let that baby fly for however long it takes.

You can hover over the overgrow icon in the crop description to see what the multiplier. You will need a lot better than 21% to make it reasonable, I think 100% doubles every level, and that is still hard. But yah, eventually you just let a carrot go (and pick the overgrowth perks for it, put it in a sprinkler row, etc.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
There was a relic at 1500% best harvest iirc if that changes anything for when you want to try it. I was very nearly done with that carrot when the overgrow change landed.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ranged is pretty easy to set up to be honest, especially if you do a bit of thieving and can just get tens of thousands of arrows from an overnight Marauder idle. Long term you’ll need to mess with crossbows some so you have a shield for DR, but until then just use the best short or longbow you can get your hands on and use rapid stance.

If you have Atlas, there’s some very useful gear for ranged. The common hunting bow from the first archaeology site only needs 20 ranged and is extremely strong until you hit 50 and can use either the Elerine Longbow or Desert Shortbow, and the Bulky Gloves from the level 18 dig site add a frankly absurd amount of melee and ranged strength - and rapid stance entirely negates the attack speed malus by itself.

Magic has relatively few issues with DR for standard setups if you keep pace with runecrafting, and the hall of wizards is actually an extremely simple dungeon to idle farm with ranged to fish for ancient armor robes. It’s worth keeping up with in general even despite the rune maintenance since such a disproportionate number of enemies are melee and get blown up by casting. There’s also some solid shield options for mages too, particularly with higher archaeology, so an imbued wand and shield combo buys you a good amount of leeway. Magic is also the best way to train the defensive stat (melee already has two different combat stats you need to level separately, and ranged, well, see the bulky gloves) so that helps boost your evasion a touch using the split combat focus stance.

One extra note that is a nice way to take advantage of the fact your going to be spending time with runecrafting over time - having solid summoning and Herblore goes a long way. Elemental potions give free base element runes some of the time when you do a RC action - up to a 50% chance and 8 runes each proc at tier 4. The Crow/Bear summoning synergy then adds a separate, additional roll of the elemental potion but for combination runes. So you’re sitting there, getting a ton of runes from the base craft + mastery bonuses + base Crow effect, then Crowbear and elemental potions just throw a ton of elemental and combo runes into the pile too. Saves a lot of crafting time and means even when you’re crafting non-elemental runes in bulk you walk away with thousands of extras.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 1, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bann posted:

Your Chronicle is on mobile as well. Its been discussed in the thread in the past more extensively. I really liked it!

I've been playing this quite a bit (on the fourth zone now) and the systems are neat, but I will say that the offline math is pretty shaky. I understand that trying to calculate things as if they were running in real time but condensing 8 hours into 5 seconds is probably a programming nightmare; but I had it off for 8 hours last night and it seems to have completed the routines correctly but things like running dungeons and doing loop tasks only completed maybe 20 minutes worth.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Array Game: Why is Array Items II so painfully slow? I've spent the better part of an entire day sloooowly increasing E and F and I still have no indication I'm close to G. Related, but I think the "A amount multiplies separator and SP gain" upgrade is broken. I'm only at 25k SP per second and if I reset upgrades, that last one does absolutely nothing when I buy it. So I think SP is way slower than it's supposed to be.

eta: Nope, popped into the discord and that's actually the end basically, nevermind.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 2, 2024

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've been playing this quite a bit (on the fourth zone now) and the systems are neat, but I will say that the offline math is pretty shaky. I understand that trying to calculate things as if they were running in real time but condensing 8 hours into 5 seconds is probably a programming nightmare; but I had it off for 8 hours last night and it seems to have completed the routines correctly but things like running dungeons and doing loop tasks only completed maybe 20 minutes worth.

Theres also a dimishing returns thing, where you get less resources from the 2th offline day than 1th offline day. And you don't get some resources, If I remember correctly.

Also some game rewards include better offline stats.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tei posted:

Theres also a dimishing returns thing, where you get less resources from the 2th offline day than 1th offline day. And you don't get some resources, If I remember correctly.

Also some game rewards include better offline stats.

There is, but I feel like combat is calculated weirdly. It keeps happening where I'll go offline for 8 hours at 50% efficiency and the combat results when I come back are like 60 monsters killed when in real time I can kill one every couple seconds.

I wonder if there may be some bug where efficiency applies to you and not the enemy so they are attacking at full speed while you only get half speed, meaning you lose the vast majority of fights.

In other news, I got level 2 auto eat in Melvor which has been wonderful. It was offset by accidentally forgetting to turn off auto combat before going to bed last night and losing my firemaking cape, but that's "cheap" to replace. Focusing on magic has been really good, especially when I realized that the curses can drop the enemy attack even further below your eat threshold so long as you can consistently hit them. I wouldn't offline combat that way but it can take down some barriers at least, especially since auto eat doesn't reset your attack.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 2, 2024

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Ok I slept on Melvor for a long time because I don't have any Runescape nostalgia but been playing for a few days and this is really neat. Puzzling out the best "pathing" for skill leveling is very satisfying. Also the crossplatform mod support is super cool; haven't messed with anything gameplay altering but I was thinking "sure wish I could see drop rates" and sure enough when I checked out available mods that was first thing on the list.

Also nice to just see a pay-once-and-you're-done model on a mobile idler. Refreshing that there's no bugging you to spend $ or watch ads for progress.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there any point in buying the expansions for Melvor if you are just starting the dungeon ladder climb, or is it all endgame content?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The one expansion raising the level cap to 120 is worth picking up once you get to that point because in my experience the high level fish and cooking is the key to make money a non-issue. I only started doing the expansion content (archeology and cartography) after I grinded up to 120 fish/cooking many many weeks in so yeah it's probably not a huge priority at the moment.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Herald is endgame content and not worth messing with until you get skills approaching the base 99 cap.
The thing is, while your skills can go to 120 with Herald, they set it up where you can’t use Herald tier equipment in combat until effectively “beating” the base game. You can still benefit from combat skills or HP going higher than 99, but it’s a pretty clever way to still get you to go through normal combat progression.

Atlas has a bunch of sidegrade content slotted in at all levels. Cartography gives a bunch of free resources and some bonus points of interest; archaeology, while slow to launch, has some extremely good items for both combats and non-combats. The barrier combat feature in Atlas is a bit hard to get started with but interesting enough.

So if you like the game enough to see yourself playing it for a while, snag Atlas and actually do some surveying and archaeology. From there once you start to reach high level skills you can add Herald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sounds good, thanks all. I ended up just getting both since they're just five bucks, I've been into it enough that I think I'll end up using both.